Mehdi Abeid Could Go Out On Season-Long Loan Deal

News today that Newcastle’s 19 year-old French defensive midfielder Mehdi Abeid, may be going out on loan to a Championship club.

The 19 year-old in action for Newcastle last season

There is news in East Anglia that Ipswich are keen on taking the the French U18 and Algerian U23 International on loan, presumably for the full season.

The news is that Ipswich will face competition from both Middlesbrough and Bristol City, but i t may be that Alan Pardew wants the youngster, who was born in France of Algerian parents, to get some first team playing time next season.

Mehdi was signed from French club Lens on a free transfer last summer, and he was supposed to be part of the Development squad.

But he impressed so much in initial pre-season training, that he was part of Newcastle’s American tour, and forced his way immediately into the first team squad, and played twice for the Newcastle first team last season.

Abeid is very highly regarded at Newcastle, and since Alan Pardew arrived on Tyneside 18 months ago, he has been keen to get Newcastle’s top young players first team playing time, out on loan at other clubs.

It would be good for the youngster to be loaned out for the full season, since he has plenty of time, and doesn’t even turn 20 until August.

• JAMSHA

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Luuk joined Newcastle United on 29/06/2012 for a fee of £10,000,000. He was handed the number 11 shirt.
    😮 wikipedia says

• SwedishMagpie

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM

wikipedia………

• Nick 69

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

wikipedia says anything you want it to say. its hardlyrocket science to edit a page

• Shane

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Don’t believe Wiki man, anyone can change that. It would be made official on the Newcastle site if true. As for Abeid, a season long loan would be worth while if we are to bring in a midfielder this window, otherwise keep hold of him, it’s going to be a long season and we’ll need all the bodies we can!

• gazza85

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Lol if that was Sky Sports or the official club webbie and accompanied by a photo of the kid in a toon shirt accompanied by AP then I’d get excited.

• nufc786

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

he is going to be class in the future maybe if he is making the subs bench he could go to wigan in the prem or help out clarky at birmingham…….

• jayjo

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ed was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April and had the prostate removed in June, but the cancer had already spread.

The side effects of the radiation were much worse than expected, but at least it’s now over.

Ed continues to fight hard and just hope for the best.

ED YOU ARE A LEGEND

• Rotonda heights

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

i was hoping Abeid would get some games alongside cabs and Tiote in a middle 3. far, far better prospect than Gosling.

• nufc786

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

potential to be better than tiote one day….
    there i said…… im waiting for lightning or tiote to strike me down……

• spitfire_

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Pardew: Luuk, I’m your father. Come and join me to the french revolution. And so it begun…

• PIBID (the poster formerly known as hattambenarfa)

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Krul
    Debuchy taylor colo santon
    Tiote abeid
    Cabaye
    Hba cisse de jong

Perfect mix of youth prospects and sheer class

• Valci

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m not sold on Luuk de Jong quite yet. He is a talented young player to be sure but the jump from the Eredivisie to the EPL is quite a big one. I rate the Eredivisie lower then the french Ligue 1 so if he signs i’ll wait and see how he adapts before jumping up and down with joy. 12mil on our budget is nothing to sneeze at if he flops…but here’s hoping that wont happen (assuming he signs).

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I think Abeid is our most promising youngster. I’d rather us sign a quality attacking midfielder first , before allowing Medhi to go out on loan. This guy will be in our starting 11 in future.

• Solaidback

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I think you’ll find that now Gutherie has left, Abeid may well get more time, especially with us playing in europe too, he’ll not be sent out on loan, as we’ll need him to bulster the squad next season..

On a personal note, just want to wish Ed all the best, I’ve been on your blog for a few years now & haven’t agreed with a lot of your posts but still think you’re a legend for carrying on the fight all through your troubles, my best wishes for the future & hope you’re able, somehow to win your own personal battle 🙂

• lesh

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Jayjo, if you don’t mind I’ve copied your post in the hope that the R’s holes who critcise Ed and this blog read it again and take a few minutes to think about their actions!

‘On Friday, 2nd December, 2011 Ed Harrison completed his 37th and final radiation treatment.

Ed continues to fight hard and just hope for the best.

ED YOU ARE A LEGEND’

Bless you Ed and we’re all rootin’ for you and your family.

• Toonboy_84

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

@12

I haven’t seen enough of him to make judgement but our recent transfers have been nothing short of brilliant, so if the powers that be think he’s worth 8/10/12 million then I will be happy. Has anyone seen much of him. Any comparisons? Carroll, long, berbatov etc?

• Jonny

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Is De Jong even that good? never seen him play myself but 15 mill on him is a lot of money!!

• lesh

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Just so you can keep any eye on what’s officially happening at FCTwente……

• Beattie25

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Works really busy so I can’t say much so I’ll say it all at once.

So happy we are moving in the transfer window.

I’m furios we won’t buy anyone.

I hate Simpson I hope he leaves.

I love Demba I hope he stays.

I can’t believe Demba is leaving.

De Jong is a great replacement.

De Jong isn’t his replacement god dammit!

If you don’t agree with me I hate you.

If you argue with ne I respect you.

If you tell me you like me I love you.

Debuchy won’t sign.

Debuchy is going to be so good as our new RB.

Follow me on twitter @ihatemylifeandallthingsnufc

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Uh oh, the Beattie breakdown. It was due at some point I suppose. Just a shame he couldn’t hang in there until the window opened in 2 days.

• Beardo

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

So everyone is pleading for us to sign somebody, now we seem to be making our move, everyone is saying ‘not sure I’d be spending that much on him’.

Be happy for once you neurotic ba*****s.

• Solaidback

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

@16 – Some have said he’s the next big thing after Van Nistolrode & Persie to come out of Holland, so thats some big shoes to fill for sure, I just hope he’s better 🙂

• Beattie25

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Jonny

If Carr says he’s worth that amount he is worth double that amount.

• Valci

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

@Beardo

I rarely if ever post on here. Mostly just read so not much “pleading” on my part mate. All i’m saying is that for all of Luuk’s talent he is unproven in the EPL and might have trouble. He is a natural goalscorer and i’ve seen his numbers but those are in the Eredivisie which is quite a ways behind even the french Ligue 1 in my opinion.

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

@ Beattie

Carr could tell me i’m gay and I would probably take his word for it :), thats how much I trust him

• Beattie25

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Just chill out guys. We’ve been bitten before by over inflated prices for uninspiring players teeth this is a new era and Carr advises nufc about players qualities and potential rather that notoriety.

I for one think he’ll be amazing and am not worried about the price. It’ll prove to be another bargain.

• Solaidback

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Valci @ 24 – I think you’ll find that most players who are brought from other leagues are unproven in the PL, the likes of Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse etc etc all cames from foriegn leagues & tore up the PL last season, so whats to say Luuk won’t do the same 🙂

• Toonboy_84

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@22

What are his strengths? Heading, poaching? Is he pacey?

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

On Abeid going to a championship team next season I reckon we should loan him to Clarky at Birmingham but have it so we can recall him whenever we want during the season, It will be a hectic year but it could work in our favour cos Abeid will be matchfit and a few games under his belt if we need him.

• ToonAndy

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Toonboy_84 – he is good in the air, good at shooting with both feet but predominantly right footed… Makes excellent runs, perfect for cabayes vision however he knows how to pick out a very good pass himself… Perfect for tucking in just behind cisse but can also play on the left of a 4-3-3

• Solaidback

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

@28 – He’s supposed to be Shearer-esc in style, a proper number 9, good at scoring, heading, hold play etc etc… and still only 21 too, so loads of promise to boot…

So I’d say if we do get him, we’ll have a strike force who can put the fear of god into any defence, including the top clubs 🙂

• Jonny

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So when Taylor gets injured after game 2 of the season our team could look like this:

——————————KRUL——————————-

DEBUCHY———-COLO——-DOUGLAS———SANTON

———————–TIOTE——-ANITA———————-

——————————CABAYE—————————-

BEN ARFA———————————————–DE JONG

———————————CISSE—————————–

ANITA/JONAS
    DE JONG/BA

• Valci

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

@ Solaidback

Yeah but Tiote is the only one coming out of the Eredivisie. Cabbs and Cisse came from superior leagues. And while i rate Tiote very highly he is more of a defensive player and there’s a big difference in the skillset a offensive player requires.

And i’m not saying he won’t do good. I just think 10+mil is a lot for a 21-year old with little experience in such a competitive environment.

• ToonAndy

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Also he’s not the quickest player in the world but he’s also not slow

• Toonboy_84

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds good. Sign him up:)

• Nick 69

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

every player we’ve brought into the club through Carr has been unproven in the EPL, so really what you should be saying is, wow this kid must be good if Carr rates him as worth £12million when Cisse wasnt rated as worth that last season. If we woldn’t pay that for Cisse but are willing to for De Jong then I assume Carr REALLY rates him. Just ebcause we’ve been bitten in the past doesnt mean we shouldn’t pay out decent money, we’re a different and better run club these days and wouldn’t splash out without doing our homework

• rainrix

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

To be fair Valic he’s going to have a lot of talented players around him putting it on a plate if he comes here. If he can finish he’ll get goals simple as really.

• graham cwarr

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

If we sign very few players would anybody settle for
    —————-Krul
    debuchy Colo saylor santon
    ——-Tiote ——-perch
    ————-cabaye
    Arfa——-cisse—–ba/marv
    ?

• Valci

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

@ Nick

Which is fine in theory but the reality of football has proven many seasoned scouts/managers wrong time and again. But here’s hoping for the best.

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Haha seems like everyone’s leaving FC Twente. Steve has a lot of re-building to do next season. Think we should go for Daniel Agger. Was actually quite disappointed that we missed out on Bryan Ruiz. He adds a bit of creativity and is a deadly finisher.

1 2 3 7