FC Twente Steve McClaren has made some statements about Newcastle’s quest for the 21 year-old striker Luuk de Jong, and the former England manager says if it were up to him he would keep him at the club, and only sell him for stupid money.
Luuk de Jong – in action against England earlier this year
So it’s a good job that Steve doesn’t make those decisions, because FC Twente will not get stupid money for de Jong, at least not form Newcastle, although it seems that Newcastle are willing to cough up £10M for the outstanding youngster.
Newcastle’s Managing Director Derek Llambias and Club Secretary Lee Charnley are in Enschede in Holland at the moment, discussing de Jong with FC Twente officials.
They will be hoping to tie up a couple of Twente’s players before pre-season training starts at Benton next Thursday, and we know Luuk de Jong is one target.
And maybe they could also be after 24 year-old Douglas, the 6’4″ center-back, and maybe even FC Twente’s right back Roberto Rosales, who Newcastle have been interested in this summer.
However, it seems that Mathieu Debuchy is the number one full-back target, with Newcastle placing an increased bid of £6M, for the Lille defender only yesterday, according to reports.
The news this morning is that McClaren would want £12M for his 21 year-old striker, and since there have already been reports that Newcastle could bid £10M, it’s not that the two clubs are a million miles away on the fee.
Maybe Newcastle can structure the deal, so there’s an amount paid up front, in cool cash we may add, and then riders for how many first team appearances Luuk makes for Newcastle over the next few seasons.
This is what Steve McClaren said yesterday:
“The club know what I think about it. Luuk de Jong would stay if it were up to me, unless stupid money is offered.” “Only since the winter of last season has Luuk been playing as a No 9.”
“He must have at least one full season playing as a real striker, to become a top player at a big club.”
One thing is very clear with the Newcastle of today – they will accept stupid money for one of our best players and even sell them if a daft bid is made, and we did that with Andy Carroll, but Newcastle will not pay out stupid money for any player.
Borussia Monchengladbach have also been reported to be interested in Luuk, and news that the German club have lodged a bid of £8.5M for the striker, who has scored 59 goals in 119 games for FC Twente, since he joined them from De Graafschap in 2009.
And Newcastle appear to be in the lead for the player, with his agent Louis Laros saying recently:
“I can only confirm that there has been interest from Newcastle in Luuk,” “I know that Newcastle are following him, that is no secret, but a club must first agree a fee with FC Twente and so far this has not happened. I really don’t know what will happen next.”
We have to think that Newcastle are close to an agreement with FC Twente on the transfer fee, otherwise they wouldn’t have traveled to Enschede to hold meetings with FC Twente officials, and those officials will not include Steve McClaren.
We hope we’re right on that one, because de Jong would be a terrific acquisition for Newcastle – plain and simple.