Metro are reporting this morning that FC Twente boss Steve McClaren is trying his best to keep his 24 year-old Brazilian center-back Douglas at the Dutch club.
Douglas – on his way to Newcastle?
There was news in the Daily Express yesterday that Newcastle had agreed a fee of £5M for the player who is now a Dutch citizen, and that news had been reported in other news media outlets.
And it’s also true that McClaren had said he wants to keep Douglas at the club, and he’s said that about Luuk de Jong also, and if we were in Steve’s position, we’d probably be thinking the same thing.
But Luuk de Jong’s agent Louis Laros said yesterday that Luuk would definitely be leaving Twente this summer, because it was the right time for his player to move to a bigger challenge, and as if to counter Steve’s pleas for his client to stay – Lois said this:
“Luuk scored 25 goals in the Dutch league last season, how many more does he need to score? 35?”
And it’s the same with Douglas, who can improve and even become a Dutch International at a bigger club than FC Twente, and that’s just the way things are.
But of course, from Steve McClaren’s view, he is losing two of his best players, and he will need to replace them before the Eredivisie starts up on August 10th.
However, the brutal truth is that Steve is almost certainly not in the decision process on transfer business, and we still expect both players to leave the Dutch club this summer, and maybe this week.
We hope both of them will come to Newcastle and even report for pre-season training at Benton on Thursday morning, although Luuk will need a week or so extra time off, after just coming back from the Euro 2012 tournament with Holland.
We may get some more information on Douglas situation today, and we are waiting with bated breath for any updates to the situation with Luuk de Jong.
Here’s hoping for some really good news today.