Newcastle Luuk De Jong Deal Looks Doomed


We’ve been waiting to see what the latest news is in the saga to  get Luuk de Jong to Newcastle, and it seems that Newcastle have made their final bid for the 21 year-old Dutchman.

Luuk de Jong – Newcastle will not match £15M asking price

The Northern Echo is reporting today that Derek LLambias has told the FC Twente officials, that Newcastle are unwilling to pay the £15M asking price for Dutch striker Luuk de Jong.

It seems that Newcastle’s last bid they made yesterday was somewhere in the region of  £10M, and they will not go higher than that, and quite honestly, it’s getting time to fish or cut bait.

When Derek LLambias and Lee Charnley returned to Newcastle last night, they had not had an answer from FC Twente, either accepting or rejecting the bid, according to the Newcastle Journal report today.

Newcastle will will be getting £5M from the sales of Fraser Forster to Celtic and Leon Best to Blackburn, but that will not help because Newcastle want good deals which are independent of the money they have to spend.

So reports which suggest Newcastle could or will go higher, because they have more money coming in from outgoing transfers, are likely to be inaccurate – that’s our opinion.

Newcastle have confirmed the departure of Leon Best to Blackburn Rovers for an initial fee of £3M, and that fee will rise if Blackburn get promotion next May, and goalkeeper Fraser Forster is tying up the loose ends before he pens a £2M deal with Glasgow Celtic.

The news is that there were indeed further talks with FC Twente officials yesterday on de Jong, and LLambias has now returned to England, but it seems FC Twente are holding out for £15M for their young striker, and if that’s the case Newcastle will in all likelihood move for other targets.

And to further dampen Newcastle’s chances, it is being reported the striker may want to remain on the continent, so that Borussia Monchendgladbach could now be in the driver’s seat, and can also offer him Champions League football next season.

If these reports are true as to what happened yesterday, we cannot say we are too confident that Newcastle can now get de Jong, but it will be interesting to see if  Borussia Monchendgladbach will match FC Twente’s high asking price.

And the other additional news is that Tottenham may lodge a bid for the 21 year-old, with former Chelsea and Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas about to be appointed any day now, as the new Tottenham manager replacing Harry Redknapp.

As we said earlier, it’s time to fish or cut bait, and Newcastle may decide on the latter,  as far as Luuk de Jong is concerned.

It’s not what we were hoping for.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter:



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

39 comments so far

  • Beardosfacedouble

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

    Comment #1

    bugga!

    0
  • magicbus

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM

    Comment #2

    His loss not ours. Move on and look elsewhere.
    In Carr we trust.

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

    Comment #3

    Was it ever likely?

    0
  • FloridaToon

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

    Comment #4

    I agree Ed. Put in your final offer and tell them to take it or leave it with a time frame.

    We need to get some players in for pre season.

    0
  • Beattie25

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

    Comment #5

    If it is true it is not the end if the world!

    Thanks to Carr we have a huge portfolio of potential players and I for one am happy that we will not be held to ransom.

    If we think he is only worth 10 million then that is what he is worth. We will move onto another target, simple as that.

    I doubt he is even our first choice as we pick players on value and availability. We thought he was available and good value at 20 million but if it is rejected then we will move on!

    I have been frustrated as any other person by the lack of movement but in reality we have 6 weeks before the start of the season. I think we’ll be getting excited soon and something tells mr that this deal isn’t quite over yet.

    0
  • Graeme

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

    Comment #6

    There are others available without going through all this hassle. Time to move on to other choices; no doubt Carr has a few tucked up his sleeve lol

    0
  • martoon

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

    Comment #7

    No one can say we haven’t tried – quite unusual for the two top guys to go out personally IMO.

    0
  • Indian Magpie

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #8

    I am Fed up already, Come home DL & LC

    0
  • graham cwarr

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #9

    Well its twentes loss too. This is a prime example of us bot bowing to demands. Good. We starts saying “oh alright another million” and bang other clubs start taking us for mugs.
    This’ll make clubs who need tosell think twice before playing hardball.
    Besides we’ll sign him in January a la cisse

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #10

    Beattie25

    I don’t think we thought is was good value at £ 20 mil mate 😉

    0
  • sks_toon

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

    Comment #11

    I am disheartened by todays news I hope Twente dont get a higher fee than ours and end up losing him next year for nothing. Time to move on to other targets, that young CF from Real Madrid looked promising.

    0
  • Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #12

    Definitely not a credible source 🙂 However, I had some Dutch clients arrive last night and they said what they’re hearing is there is no way he’ll come to us and twente are holding out for a high bid.

    I did go on to tell them that McLaren is a tw@ and asked wtf happened in the Euros and that they are no longer welcome at the property. I then went outside and cried in a ball.

    Not saying I wanted him to come or anything 🙂

    Anyway, back to reality…Still none the wiser really. I still am not sure we were actually trying to sign him.

    All together now…

    “Oh silly season, it make me happy”

    0
  • Beattie25

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #13

    * 10 million

    Ha ha

    0
  • steinhof

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #14

    fish or cut the bait? is that an americanism Ed? either way last year i was concerned that we were short a lb and back up cb. this year i’m concerned that we’re short a cb, back up lb, rb, box to box mf, attacking mf and 2 strikers. we aren’t going to get them all so we need another season of good luck…here’s to good luck!

    0
  • hoppernufc

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #15

    This whole thing doesn’t make sense, so both deals apparently now look dead so why would we of spent 4 days over there? There’s gotta be more to this story.

    0
  • berToon

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #16

    Hate if he was to go to another English team because this kid has talent in abundance was hoping we would get him .interesting to see what other targets we have gameiro on the cheap maybe he’s quick enough to compliment a three pronged attack ?

    0
  • FloridaToon

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

    Comment #17

    DL has returned from the trip. Everyone saying the deal is over so reading between the lines…..we will sign him today.

    0
  • JDdubai

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

    Comment #18

    Am sure the club will have realised a few days ago that it was unlikely so hopefully started the ball rolling on an alernative in case this didnt come off.

    We move on, 10 million was ok, 15 no thanks.

    He’d only have been Shola’s backup anyway 🙂

    0
  • Nick 69

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

    Comment #19

    magicbus – hows it ‘his loss not ours’ we have missed out on a top class striker and he has missed out on a move the the Premiership and a club he would have loved to join. Its not his fault if Twente wont sell him to us. You say ‘in Carr we trust’, it was Carr who told us to go in and spend so much on De Jong in the first place, so he clearly thinks he’s better than any other options, so yes it clearly is our loss aswell

    0
  • jakesome

    Jul 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

    Comment #20

    Tottenham are lining up a £10m bid for 22-year-old Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge.
    Full story: The Metro
    well id love to have this guy on our books

    0
  • markmac

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

    Comment #21

    As has already been said i think we would like to have de jong in but not at a silly price, weve moved on since freddy’s days! also at 15m he aint no shearer yet ;-]

    0
  • Spoof

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

    Comment #22

    Not sure about the Spurs link, but Gladbach have only bid £9m plus add ons, its unlikely that their bid will be accepted either, it seems to me like Twente are trying to spark an auction between us and Gladbach which has ultimetly failed, so they either accept one of the offers or run the risk of losing him on a free in 12 months time, if both us and the Germans hold firm he could still move, I don’t believe the deal is dead just yet

    0
  • Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

    Comment #23

    Whilst I don’t have a problem with Twentes stance on the sales (I.E. Ours, offer us silly money), it doesn’t really work when a player is entering the final year of their contract (Enrique anyone?).

    Seems silly on their part, if it’s true that is. Surely they’d be best to get that cash in their hands and go find a replacement now, rather than lose him late August to someone.

    Oh well, time will tell.

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

    Comment #24

    Spoof

    de Jong’s contract runs out in 2014; Douglas’ on the other hand runs out next year.

    0
  • Grafton83

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

    Comment #25

    Oh well, I respect our position and it is sensible to be prepared to walk away if you have to and it appears that is what we’ve done. If they don’t get the money they’re after soon maybe they’ll reevaluate things and come back to us but who knows.

    Can we go and sign Debuchey now, that will cheer me up.

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

    Comment #26
    0
  • Nick 69

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

    Comment #27

    Spoof – De Jong has 3 years on his contract so they will not lose him for free next year

    0
  • Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

    Comment #28

    Cheers Spoof….Let me jump on your bandwagon like that.

    What has the world come to? I thought information on here was gospel? My world no longer makes sense

    0
  • Zebras4Life

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

    Comment #29

    John Guidetti!!!

    0
  • bills-son

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

    Comment #30

    De Jong cant be anywhere near as good as Cisse and yet fans who have never seen him play react as if its a massive blow that we don’t get him for £10M.

    We never got Gameiro, Gervinho or Erdinc and finished 5th. Lets leave it to Carr and Pardew, they’ll have other irons in the fire we nor the press know about.

    0
  • Spoof

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM

    Comment #31

    Well I got that one wrong, I thought he only had 12 months left, so it looks as if our best option is for him to ask for a transfer which Twente accept, who wants to keep a player who wants to leave, its looking more likely that another alternative, possibly Toivonen, will be the best option, thats a shame as he has looked a real quality player from the little I have seen of him

    0
  • bills-son

    Jul 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

    Comment #32

    Sky are reporting we offered E12M up front and Twente want E15M and Gladbach are baulking at that fee as well. If thats the case it wouldn’t surprise me if De Jong still signed later on. Our offer could yet be the best one Twente get.

    If we’ve walked away and told Twente we are looking elsewhere that will put them on the spot.

    0
  • jukitsu

    Jul 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM

    Comment #33

    @jakesome

    Sturridge is good player on his day, but his attitude sucks and his wages are high.

    0
  • The Traveling Mag

    Jul 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

    Comment #34

    Personally I count hold off wwith all the “we have lost out” statements. The dutch league is a bit iffy when iy comes to strikers transferring 30 odd goals to the premier league. Undoubtedly it’s had it successes such an van nistelroy and van persie but does any one remember kezman and a certain Brazilian strikers the smoggies bought a few years ago who failed to make any impact? The Epl is a hard place and splashing out mickey Owen type fees on a player untested in our league would be foolish. Just trust the club to make the right call on this, we did it last year with cisse and ended up getting him six months later for a cool 9 million.

    0
  • The Traveling Mag

    Jul 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #35

    Personally I count hold off with all the “we have lost out” statements. The dutch league is a bit iffy when it comes to strikers transfering 30 odd goals to the premier league. Undoubtedly it’s had it successes such an van nistelroy and van persie but does any one remember kezman and a certain Brazilian strikers the smoggies bought a few years ago who failed to make any impact? The Epl is a hard place and splashing out mickey Owen type fees on a player untested in our league would be foolish. Just trust the club to make the right call on this, we did it last year with cisse and ended up getting him six months later for a cool 9 million.

    0
  • Sav

    Jul 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM

    Comment #36

    What’s more important is the club sticking to its guns. If you get a reputation for wavering, you’ve had it and can only expect to be messed about, as the likes of Freddie Shepherd was (but the, it wasn’t his money, was it!).
    de Jong looks more ‘John Tudor’ than ‘Supermac’ to me so if he doesn’t cross the line, so be it.

    0
  • jackson0022

    Jul 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM

    Comment #37

    Sad to hear that he’s not coming, I believe he must be a gem, but I understand the club’s stance not to go for silly $$ Hope he’s not picked up by Hotspur.

    0
  • microbar

    Jul 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

    Comment #38

    Stand firm and move on more to come on this I think,
    We dont spend all weekend there for nothing.

    0
  • Premiership Manager

    Jul 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

    Comment #39

    We should forget De Jong and make an offer of £10M to Chelsea to see if we can get Sturridge as he doesn’t seem to be in their main plans.

    Justin Hoilett is also another player we should sign as both are young have bags of skill, can play wide or up front and are proven in the PL.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.