The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Brazilian Star Just Glad To Be Back

9:57 am, Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

Some players returned early to the Benton training grounds yesterday from their summer break, so they could undergo  various fitness and strength tests,  to ascertain how strong and fit they are at the moment.

James Perch – points the way for all players

Players returning included newly married Mike Williamson, James Perch, Rob Elliot, Dan Gosling, Nile Ranger, Danny Simpson and Mehdi Abeid.

We all know James Perch – the great Perchinho - who apparently was even born in Brazil, and may get that call up before the World Cup 2014 from the former World Champions? :D

And James of course played just great in the second half of the season, at both center-back, defensive midfield and full-back, to prove he’s an excellent utility player.

That was after making an ignominious start to pre-season last summer at this time, when he didn’t even make the American tour.

The lads that reported yesterday were all in good spirits, and the Benton training ground fields looked in  superb condition.

The lads were subjected to some body fat tests and medical examinations,  that measure various fitness and strength levels of all players – and it’s all very high tech these days at Newcastle.

Perchinho talked to the local press corps:

“I always prepare for the worst. I prepare for the horrible runs and if it’s not that, it’s a bonus for me.”  “It’s a massive, massive part of the season that you have. I’ve missed a couple of the pre-seasons in my career and the football season after hasn’t gone the way I’d like it.

“You pick up little niggles here and there and I think to have a good season you have to complete the pre-season first. That’s the main aim for the club, to get through pre-season pretty much injury-free.”  “Everyone’s come in all right, although a few people have enjoyed the summer, I’ll say that, which is fair enough.”

“Pre-season is a time to get fit, and that’s what we intend to do. The banter started flying as soon as I walked back through the door, getting stick off the masseur, all the usual banter which makes you feel like you’ve never been away.”  “They sent us a program through the post, it didn’t get much use if I’m being honest with you.”

“I do my own thing, whether the other lads stuck to theirs I’m not sure. It’s basically eating the right things, drinking the right things, doing a little bit of exercise here and there and coming back in as good a shape as you can, really.”

“It’s good to see everyone’s faces again. You do miss it when you’ve been away for a short period of time and you do want to get back and see everyone again.”  “You could say we didn’t want the season to end but after the season we had, putting so much effort into finishing fifth, the lads needed the break.”

“It is good to get away and get some sun and to recharge the batteries.  “Now the hard works is going to begin though.”

Perch had a holiday in both Dubai and New York this summer, and he arrived back from NYC last Monday, and would have experienced some of the heat wave that hit the east coast over the last several days, with temperatures here in Raleigh hitting 105 degrees F.

James will know that all he has to do next season is train hard and impress manager Alan Pardew, who has made it clear that whoever you are in the squad, if you play well you will get your chance,  and be kept in the side.

We hope James continues where he finished off in May, and push for a first team position, maybe at full back.

He will need to still improve if that is going to be the case next season, but he knows that’s the opportunity for him, whoever Newcastle bring in this summer.

That’s  just one of the things Alan Pardew has instilled in his players since he arrived a short 18 months ago, and Alan has been simply a revelation as Newcastle manager – and long may that continue.

Tags: James Perch · Newcastle News · Perchinho · Pre-Season

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonboy_84 // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Perch is king

• 2 Toonboy_84 // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Now I’ve beat shola hater I’ll go back and read the article ;)

• 3 check the toastie // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I love perchinho, i love perchinho,
    I love perchinho, i love perchinho,
    I love perchinho, i love perchinho,
    I love perchinho, i love perchinho,
    I love perchinho, i love perchinho,

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

What a difference a year can make :)

Can only imagine some of the comments on here is this article was released 12 months ago

• 5 Toonboy_84 // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Don’t we all check?

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

lol….Was just trying to figure out what it is that we all check? Duh!

Perhaps I need another coffee :)

• 7 rsa_magpie // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Perch is going to be valuable this season given his utility… Interesting to see everyone behind him now, I remember early last season he was public enemy number 1

• 8 VICKIDINO // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Why write rubbish that he was born in Brazil, MANSFIELD is miles away

• 9 Shola Hater // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

No news on Kit,
    Pre season yet not confirmed
    squad thinner than previous season.

i cant keep surviving on coffee

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Vickidino…It’s called humour mate

• 11 Toonboy_84 // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Lol ibiza. Wake up lad ;)

• 12 Shola Hater // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Shaun NUFC ?@shaimoss
    @MsiDouglas McLaren just said ” Unlesh stuupid monies ish offered De Jong isht going nowheres – Ahem sorry I mean Luuk is going nowhere “

• 13 GeordieGerman // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Just as there is a Newcastle in USA, Ireland and Australia. There is a Mansfield in Brazil.

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

No news on Kit? So?
    Pre Season not Confirmed – Were you planning on travelling and following the team?
    Squad thinner – Yes, we’ve had players out of contract and are in our 4th day of the transfer window.

Come on Indian, keep it together

• 15 rich_toonfan // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

@twatter

From previous post. We wot be playing twice as many games at all.

We are guaranteed 2 games for Europa qualifying. I’d we get past that we have 6 more then more if we get out of groups.

I think we need more players but no point in getting players who aren’t good enough just cause they are available sooner.

Don’t panic there is ton of time til the season starts.

• 16 Rotonda heights // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

VICKIDINO

Humour by-pass?

• 17 Valci // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Repost from previous thread:

@ rotonda heights

Spanish team is Barca + Real and little else. And honestly when these 2 teams get 80% of the television contract money between themselves and the rest of the league shares the remaining 20% it’s no surprise that only these 2 teams matter. Its not a real championship sorry to say.
    Real gets 12 times the cash from tv rights compared to the bottom team in the spanish league whereas in EPL ManCity get 1,5-2 times the money the last team gets. So basically the spanish league is not a fair competition.

Also you made a comment on another thread about “lumbering oafs” or some such when talking about big strikers (1,80-1,90m in height). I’m not gonna write the whole thing again but i’ll point you towards Zlatan Ibrahimovich which can hardly be called lumbering or Arsenal recent transfer Olivier Giroud. The list is long but your prejudice was obvious from your post.

• 18 magpiebop // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Perch looked assured at FB and DM, not a CB though!

• 19 Rotonda heights // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

shola hater,

jeez you’re swift, that mclaren dutch impression was doing the rounds a couple of weeks back.

very sad title too mate..

• 20 shear-class // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I remember watching Perch in a friendly for Newcastle Reserves against Ashington last pre season at woodhorn lane In my Oppinion if Guthries not good enough then neither is Perch

• 21 Shola Hater // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Rotanda,

I was told it was on SSN today

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Shear-class….I think the difference is that Guthrie was insistent on first team football and “probably” higher wages.

Perch should not be a starter, but does have a place in the squad and gives his all when called upon. He’s great to have on the bench too, as he can cover a few positions, like Raylor.

• 23 Shola Hater // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Ibiza,

a steady flow of news gets 1 going, and u never know who may turn up at a friedly to cheer 10 out of 11

• 24 ToonMauritius // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

sounds interesting
    Anyone, who is better Sakho or Douglas

• 25 check the toastie // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

shear class – good way to base an opinion, friendly against Ashington, oh my word, were do some people come from, planet outer space.

• 26 hotdog // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Shear-class – as ibiza says it is versatility that will keep Perch at the toon – he knows he aint in the starting 11 but will be happy to be used from the bench. In all honesty althougth the lad is limited, players like him are very important during the season.

• 27 terencelim // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Stop assuming transfer windows started at 1st July. Theoretically yes but practically no if you look at signings of other clubs like Arsenal, ManUtd and many more. Fact is, transfer window actually started even before last season finished.

I am not annoyed with the club transfer progress, I just want to get it right with the transfer window date.

• 28 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Sakho would be a DREAM signing! He is immense as it is! Future France captain for certain over M’Vila!!!

Douglas would be a good signing though his lack of pace may be a worry, though he makes up for it in the air!

Sakho is quite honestly THE most complete player I’ve seen at 22 years old as a CB I’ve seen him play against Toulouse on a few occasions and he has always been the stand out player for me, him and Colo would be a dream!!!!

• 29 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

But I doubt we’ll ever be able to sign him as he is incredible!

• 30 Cymrutoon // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I doubt we’ve a hope sadly. But he would be fantastic.

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Indian….Sure. Whatever mate. You continue to enjoy excluding one player. Does it upset you when Shola scores? I can imagine your face getting all twisted in a mix of emotions.

• 32 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Tom,
    Sakho wants out of PSG too? Reckon he’ll be an Arsenal player come September mainly because I can’t see us spending over £10m on a defender. I’d love to be proven wrong though!

• 33 check the toastie // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Maybe we could sign Pepe from Real Madrid, rumour has it hes a big Toon Fan. Read some twitter stuff about him wanting a new challenge at a club who hasnt won fcuk all for 1 million years. Time for a Blog Sabbatical again me thinks.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

terencelim….Well on that basis the transfer window is always open.

We constantly scout, discuss, plan etc for transfers, the work never stops. The official window in which to legally “get deals over the line” is July 1st.

• 35 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

check the toastie

or maybe you just need some of those pills Ibiza was recommending me yesterday ;) lol

• 36 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Isn’t there something about clubs in England being able to sign English players on June 9th? or something?

• 37 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

…or players playing in England.

• 38 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

The only hope we have is do Arsenal really need another CB with Vermaelen, Koscielny, Mertesacker (would needs another season to make a decision on) among others I think/hope they’re set!

Yes, its a dream that he want’s out of PSG and I reckon we could get him for as low as 8M-10M Euros as PSG are acting like idiots at the moment! The club has proved in the past that for the right player they’ll come up with the right money- I have no idea if we are interested in him or if he would be interested in us though one thing I can say is the mere thought of there being a chance we could get him fills me with optimism for this transfer window- there’s value out there still!

• 39 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) & Tom

• 40 magpiebop // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Airey scored in that game too, but it didn’t mean he’s a top striker. Where is he now? Probably end up playing for Ashington wii his old mate Godsmark, who by the way looks quality in the Northern league!

• 41 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

ToonMauritius

Ohh, can see you have already posted the link :) sorry mate.

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Jesper…Easy mate…don’t want a reputation as a pill pusher!

No idea on that rule mate. Would of thought we’d have seen a lot more action earlier if that was the case. Plus most contracts run to the end of June to the best of my knowledge.

• 43 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

That’s where my sudden deluge of all things Sakho has come from jesperfuglsang… Keep up the good work ;)

• 44 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ibiza :) sorry mate – that came out wrong!

check the toastie, Ibiza DOES NOT push pills mate. Buy you own ;)

• 45 Hatem's better than Messi // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

There are more quality players out there than top clubs with cash.

More players are letting their contracts run down or have release clauses.

Sakho looks to be a better fit for us than any CB we’ve been linked to before.

• 46 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

So reading between the lines, Ibiza is pushing pills to Sakho to get him to sign for NUFC?

• 47 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I really got a NUFC news monkey on my back… God I need some good news soon :(

…Ibiza how’s the sun on Mallorca? (it is Mallorca right?)

• 48 ToonMauritius // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

jesperfuglsang
    No problemo mate, but still tell me who is better Sakho or Douglas

• 49 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

SAKHO IS BETTER!!!!!

• 50 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Remember I don’t kwow shit ;) but I would go for Sakho in a heartbeat (if he is not ludicrously expensive) ;) I am not that sold on Douglas.

…that or we sould find a young version Verthongen, so we don’t have to spend silly money on a CB ;)

• 51 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Be cool man……take one of these and shut the hell up….geeez ;)

• 52 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

* sould = should

• 53 shear-class // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

check the toastie
    Well any decent player would of stud out in that match, i dont just watch the first team and Perch IN MY OPINION which i am entitled too is ordinary

• 54 ToonMauritius // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hope AP turn his attention to Sakho

• 55 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Jesper…Sometimes humour can get lost on the internet….I assume that was a joke? The Balearic weather is glorious mate :) :) :)

• 56 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza

sorry about the remark mate!

• 57 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hahaha Ibiza… And he wakes up an NUFC player? That’s how it works isn’t it?! :D

• 58 jesperfuglsang // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Ibiza

was meant as a joke…but I can see it was a bid weak and not really funny. Sorry mate.

• 59 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

It wasn’t that bad….just making sure it was in fact one :)

Tom4Nufc…Dates, signings, it works for most things ;)

• 60 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Oh bloody hell… I feel a bit like the bloke standing in front of the person the fit bird’s waving at, and who waves back making a fool of myself!

Think I’ll stay away from the internet banter and just talk about the footy side of things haha ;)

• 61 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Tom4Nufc… Banter away good sir, banter away :)

• 62 Tom4Nufc // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Haha fair enough Ibiza ;)

On another note, I should really do some work!

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Snap! Take it easy lads :)

• 64 Troleibusiukas_LTU // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hey a came up with the Master-PLAN.

Look, Reading takes Buthrie and Simpson, B’burn buys Best. DL went to holand to take Luuk and Douglas, but got nothing, so maybe he could meet PSG officials and let’s say agree a fee for Sakho and Gameiro 11.5M pounds, then took Debouchy (6M) for a ride back home at Newcastle, arange some friendlies with french clubs and also stop in Manchester to pick up lost boy John Guidetti (7M) (and A.Johnson if he pays for his ride and wants to join us.Just kidding.)

What do you think?

Outs:

Best, Simps, Forester= 8.5M

Ins:

Gameiro,
    Sakho,
    Debouchy,
    Guidetti

24.5M – 8.5= 16M

that’s 4 M left

0.5 for curtis good, 1M for gael bigirimana, 1M for luke james 1M, and 1 M for me making this faboulas plan hehe :D

?