Magpies Wont Play Twente’s Game – Pull Out Of De Jong Chase

Derek LLambias and Lee Charnley returned from Enschede in Holland earlier in the week, after failing to tie up deals for Luuk de Jong and Douglas.

Luuk de Jong – Newcastle will not play FC Twente’s game

Signing Douglas is still on the cards, but it seems that Newcastle have given up on Luuk de Jong and will turn to other striker targets.

And we keep hearing Steve McClaren say that only silly money will persuade FC Twente to sell their top 21 year-old striker this summer, and they will not get that from Newcastle.

The Tyneside club are willing to accept silly money for their players, like the £35M we received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll 18 months ago, but gone are the days when Newcastle will pay out daft fees for players, and then pay them ridiculously high wages, before they have even kicked a ball for the club.

It is thought that Newcastle have pulled out of the race for de Jong, not only because they will go no higher than the £10M or £11M they have already bid, but because it seems the lad is more keen on joining German club Borussia Mönchengladbach, who will be playing in the Champions League next season.

It remains to be seen whether the Bundesliga club, who were 3rd bottom two seasons ago and then 4th top last season,  will bid any higher than Newcastle for the striker.

But don’t forget this is all a game being played by FC Twente, and the end goal is to get as much money for the player as possible – this summer – and of course  Luuk’s contract runs out next summer, so he will become a free agent at that time.

That doesn’t mean he will be a free transfer then, because a compensation fee will have to be paid to his club, since he’s under 24, but it will be hard to justify £11M for the player, who has played just 7 times for Holland.

That’s why FC Twente will sell their player this summer, at some point, but Newcastle have made it clear they are not willing to play this game, and of course a huge advantage Newcastle always have on other clubs, is they pay their transfer fees up front in total, and in cool cash.

That’s unheard of with other top clubs, most of whom are going into extra debt to fund their transfer fees for top players.

But reading all the news on the subject, and there’s a lot of it, it seems Newcastle have given up the chase for Luuk, which is a pity, because he could have been a great signing for Newcastle.

You win some – and you lose some.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook:

=============================================

• Shola Hater

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

in essence this what was said day before yesterday, isnt it ED

• davybtoon

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Sunderland won’t get Anita ha has already said he wants to join us n there was a dutch journo on radio yesterday dismissed them straight away when asked

• toonincheek

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I think De Jong’s contract has 3 years to run.
    It’s Douglas’ contract that ends next year.

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Indian,
    Still in all of today’s papers (well here anyway)
    Don’t hate!

• Ben3arfa

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

disappointing but what can you do ..

what is this about DL flying to South America to tie up some deals??

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Why not change your name back and in Essence, not sound like an asshole

• spitfire_

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Steve McLaren is a tool.

• Shola Hater

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Josh, oh! Gosh

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Shola is the heart of NUFC, you hate Shola you hate Newcastle United – go support some Mumbai football team since you dislike England so much!

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Ed, according to transfermarkt, de Jong’s contract runs out in the summer of 2014.

Douglas’ runs out next year, hence the reason NUFC won’t pay £ 5 mil for him now.

• ive had ya ma

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Shoal is turd

• TorqToon

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Anybody else hear Ray Parlour urging ARSEnal to sell RVP for 25-30mil and buy Pappis?!?!?! You best have deep pockets if you wanna sign our No.9 !!

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ben Arfa

What a bunch of crap mate 🙂

I have been a foreigner suppoter since ’95 and though Shola is a nice bloke a model prof. I don’t think he is worth his wages.

And I can tell you if you leave this blog for a while or the Newcastle area you will find a fifference of opinion mate.

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

* difference

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Go to nufc.com. story reads a bit different on the de jong and Douglas deals. Offer for de jong is allegedly still on the table. not attempting to draw attention away from your blog or anything ed ic read that one long before this I just still read both. Keep up the good work.

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

How do you expect people who don’t support Newcastle to react to Shola?
    He’s one of those players who’s always overlooked and has stuck with the club throughout his career. He has a great record vs the Mackems and is a great player to have in the dressing room.

• WWYCD

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM

NUFC better start aiming for other strikers then by my count we need atleast 2

And if Douglas goes to Russia he will regret it very quickly

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM

And Ben Arfa, he is still at NUFC and the most important thing is that you like him and think he is a true geordie 🙂

not what Indian think or me for that matter. I just don’t go arounf posting crap about him all the time because I like him as a person 🙂

• Shola Hater

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

i prefer not to court controversy, but shola has stuck by the club, must have been tough going to hayes and yeading or rushden and diamonds

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I’m not a geordie, I live in felixstowe my old dears side are geordies. Supported the toon all my life, yet I still find the time to back every player. Strange. We all know shola ain’t the best but he can do a job. We just don’t need pratts on a “fan” blog slagging players off all the time.

• WWYCD

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Read on twitter PVA has been transfer listed at Chelsea surely worth a look by NUFC if true

• ive had ya ma

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Ben arfa I’ve been a season ticket holder for 15 years, fact is as much as I wanted shola to turn into a descent footballer it hasn’t happened. 263 appearances 50 goals hardly prolific.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Shola is a great professional.
    I’d have sold him a few years ago but now as super sub he’s great.

I hope he finishes his career at SJP and gets a coaching role if that’s what he wants to do.

• fog on the tyne

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

hi lads, i’m a long time reader of the blog and great thanks to ed for your time and energy put in to a great service. This is my first comment btw.

danny @19

I heard that on monday that the medical was booked, also heard on very good authority (from a current premiership player) that it was for 2 players, one namely Junior Hoillet who has agreed a 5 year contract, not sure who other player is but heard wispers that its Twente’s full back Rosales.
    Again Hoillet sounds nailed on but not sure whether i believe the rosales tale????? TBH havent really heard of him before he was mentioned on here…..
    What do you think lads?????????????

• Shola Hater

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Things common to me and shola, we are both nice guys, we love NUFC and you all know how it is going to end

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hatem

I think Sholas will finish his career at NUFC; I don’t think he has that many seasons left in him because of his hip and back problems.

He cannot play for 90 mins anymore and he cannot sprint or run at full capacity 🙁

I think he is was you call chronically injured.

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Spot on Ben arfa. Funny how people go from hating on him to practically tongue punching his ring piece when he bangs one in against the unwashed. If he’s not good for anything he’s at least good for the dressing room. How many times did pards sing his and out forgotten man harps praises about their presence in the dressing room. If they are a part of the atmosphere creators long may it continue. I’m not bothered if he ain’t scoring. When he’s played lately he’s come on to see out the game and hold up the play, and done a corking job, not to mention a world-class assist for the cisse goal vs chelsea ;-p

• Tonytoon73

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Shola a coach, we will end up with the least goals scored in the league.

• mickguk

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I very rarely post on here as i enjoy the articles but not so much the comments. It seems the point of the article is always lost somewhere down the line.
    I wont mention peoples names as it not my place but if you come on here to criticise the Ed for his articles you are quite sad in my opinion. You dont have to come to this website if you are already reading this stuff elsewhere. Also slating players who belong to this club is disrespectful so why do it. Surely the point of a totally biased website (in my opinion) is to celebrate NUFC and all who play for it.

• Nick 69

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

jesperfuglsang – Shola isnt worth his wages?? See that’s where it becomes obvious your a foreign ‘supporter’. Because any true Geordie/Toon fan would tell you his goals against the scum have earned every penny he’s been paid his whole career.

People really underestimate Shola’s contribution last season. Scored very important goals, held the ball up excellently to see out games, and set up quite a few goals with his knock downs etc

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Nick 69

Mate with all due respect don’t tell my who’s a true NUFC fan or supporter.

I don’t really care if people are true geordies or not; foreigner or British.

I hope something got lost in the translation?

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

@Mick. I have read nufc.com for many years before I found this blog. I’m merely saying that the story is slightly different. It’s no different to people reading ssn as well as this. I’m not telling people not to read this blog. And iv never slated ed and never well. I love this blog, but I’m entitled to let people know what iv heard or read. Sorry if offence was caused.

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Can we just leave the Shola topic alone; it is always ruining the good mood on here!

…and maybe the crap about who’s a true supporter and not!

• TorqToon

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Fraser Forster signs 4 year deal with Celtic. SSN now

• gfp13

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I’m afraid I’d rather not have shola as a coach. He has had a good season as a sub but I don’t think he has enough tactical knowledge to help out the younger players and help them develop. And on the point of it being said to always back your own players and this blog being totally biased. Would you not get bored of reading such and such is great all the time, purely because he wears black and white. It’s just a matter of opinion and people are expressing that and I don’t see a problem with it. You can’t always back Newcastle players. We’re you hailing Christian basedas(or however you spell it) as a world class player or nacho gonzalez just because they were Newcastle players?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Nick 69

That comment sounds a bit xenophobic and ”little Englander”-ish. It doesn’t matter where we all come from, as NUFC fans we all have opinions.

Had your ma. If you’re going to abuse someone at least spell it right otheriwise it further loses it’s impact if it ever had any in the first place. I think you’ll find a shoal is a group of fish.

• Harley

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ah well, let’s move on.

• josh

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The likes on Gonzalez haven’t spent their whole career at the club and done job when needed. I see the point your trying to make but your choosing the wrong type of players to use as comparisons in a dramatic fashion. and yes it does ruin the mood of the blog but what do you expect with names like shola hater and comments like shola is turd. Not needed and totally wrong

• jakesome

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Indian you just don’t get that 1 goal against the mackems is worth ten against any other team. That’s why shola is the mackem slayer and a bit of a cult hero in that respect.

• Dutchie

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Luuk’s contract runs out next summer?

Wrong! Luuk has signed a contract until 2015.

That said Twente has already agreed a deal with BMG for about 15 million Euro (including bonuses) and Oscar Wendt.