Bigirimana – I Love The Way Newcastle Play – It’s A Blessing

Gael Bigirimana’s signing is the good news for today for Newcastle United fans, and now all we need is another seven or eight good days (or maybe more),  when the club can bring in some top senior players to the club, and a few more top Development players.

Gael Bigirimana – during his interview this afternoon

Bigirimana arrives with a great reputation for being a very promising defensive midfield player, and he has just signed a five year deal at Newcastle,  and has been interviewed this afternoon by Rob Scanlon of nufcTV.

The 18 year-old talked about being at Coventry City since he was 11 years old, and continually thanked the Coventry club for taking good care of him.

He seems a down to earth lad, who comes across as very modest and even humble, and he seems to have a burning ambition to improve – so he’s at the right club at Newcastle.

It’s a great interview so any of you who have a subscription to nufcTV it’s definitely worth a viewing of the interview.

Here’s some of what Gael had to say to Rob Scanlon this afternoon, and he first talked about how he first got to introduce himself to Coventry City:

“I moved with my family and we lived in Coventry,” “One day I was just going with my brother to buy some milk at Asda and then I looked to my right and there was this center where the Coventry youth team Academy trained. There was something in me – like a voice – just said ‘go and ask to train.’

“The next day, I went there and I just asked if I could train and stuff. They were kind of like, ‘this is awkward, you can’t just come in here and ask to train. We have to come and watch you and scout you if you’re good!’

“So I gave them the name of my school and they told me ‘if you’ve got a school match, we’ll come and watch you.’ I was excited – I was like ‘yes, they’ll come and watch me and I’ll have my chance’ – and I just started jogging off because I was excited.

“Then as I was running, they stopped me. They called me back and I thought ‘there’s no-one around me so it’s got to be me that they’re calling.’ So I went back and they asked me: ‘are you good enough?’. I just said: ‘well you’ll have to wait and see if you give me a chance.’

“They asked me if I had any shin pads and stuff and I said yes – but I didn’t! The next day, I went and trained with them and from then it’s just been an amazing journey.”

Gael continued to say that  Coventry were like family to him, and certainly his English is very good, and it should be even better in a couple of years with a Geordie twang to it – he could even take lessons from Tim Krul?  😀

Here’s the holding midfielder thanking Coventry City for all they did for him, and the Sky Blues obviously took very good care of the youngster, to their enormous credit:

“They have been like my second family because for the last seven or eight years I’ve been with them most of the time. They’re just like my family and they’ve changed me so much as a person and as a footballer.”

“I used to be a centre-back but the Coventry Academy Manager Greg Rioch said ‘I don’t want you to play there, I want you to play somewhere where there’ll be bodies around because it’s kind of too easy for you at center-back.”

“And now I realize that’s where I belong, in the middle. They were great people to have and they were like a great family.” “But you never get too many opportunities like this.”  “It might come once in a lifetime and sometimes you just have to take it and go and learn.”

“It might be hard but life is not promised to be easy so that’s why I took the chance.”  “I’m an all-rounder.” “If I have to do a job for the team, I do the job for the team; if I have to play as a holding player, I’ll hold; if I have to play more as a creator, I love creating and I love the style that Newcastle play.

“I’m a team player and to be around such good players, I will learn every day so hopefully I can break through.”   “When I used to look at footballers, I used to think ‘they’re just different people’,” “You see them getting interviewed, you see all the profiles before the match and you think they’re on another planet.

“So for me to be doing this, it’s like somebody’s just having a laugh with me or something! But I’ve just got to enjoy every moment. It’s a blessing.”

Gail also said he would be learning from one of the best holding midfielders  today – Cheick Tiote – and Gail thinks Cheick’s already one of the very best in the world at the moment.

Our impression of the lad is very positive having seen the interview, and with hard work and dedication to improving, there’s no reason this lad cannot become a top class player at Newcastle.

We wish him the very best at Newcastle, and we know the Tyneside club will take really good care of him and he’ll  also have the full support of the Geordie fans, and we hope he fulfills his full potential at Newcastle United.

• davybtoon

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Anyone seen santon quotes saying pardew has told him he will play right back this season no matter who comes in even debuchy

• studsy

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Davybtoon – I havent mate…they direct quotes or just his mates sisters hairdressers boyfriend?

• nufc786

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

this lad is going to great i can imagine tiote taking him under his wing and cabaye giving one or two pointers so this guy can become a comlete box to box midfielder with that ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck just like viera…

• Graeme

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Seems a genuine, lovely kid, who just wants to become a better football player. I hope Beardsley and his merry men take good care of this kid. It looks like he could become an amazing player for NUFC in the future.

Stay well away from Lone Ranger son, he’s not where you want to be!! Stick with Sammy, you’ll be ok!!

• yorkshireToon

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

the interviewer brought up debuchy and santon just said that he was told by pardew that he plans to bring someone in at right back and he doesn’t mind whether its debuchy or whoever as long as it brings something to the team..

• studsy

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Cheers YorkshireToon!

• pieceofpapiss

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Santon Interview translated:

Now the tea, the exclusive event with Davide Santon for readers Calciomercato.com. For two days the former Inter defender has resumed training in Newcastle under the command of Alan Pardew. Holidays over, you return to toil under the pale English sun. Although perhaps David would have gladly given up a few days of vacation to par the Italian expedition to Euro 2012.

“It would be great. But there are still bad, Prandelli has made his choices and I have limited myself to cheer for the Blues in front of the TV. They did a great tournament, only final sin. We must say that Spain is very strong and when we were in 10 it was almost impossible to get a result. ”

In the future, confident of return to national team?
    “Well, a little ‘I think. But we must go step by step: if I continue to do well here in the Premier League, then I know I will have my chances. In 2014 we are the World Cup in Brazil, I would be there.”

For the time being are the captain of the Under 21, but where there will be Ciro Ferrara, the new coach of Sampdoria. Sorry?
    “I must say the truth, I was a little ‘I expected. The coach after the last race with Ireland had told us that in all probability would have continued on other roads. I wish him all the best in Genoa. To Ferrara was important to me, gave me back confidence at a difficult time, even giving me the captaincy and wise counsel. ”

Let’s return to England as the new season at Newcastle?
    “We are heavily loaded. Last year we touched the qualification in the Champions League, something unthinkable earlier this year. Finally came the Europa League, which the club is always a nice finish.”

And in Europe you could find yourself in front of the Inter …
    “I thought it would be exciting to San Siro. But, if I choose, I hope not to face Inter. They’re putting on a good team and as would be fearsome opponents.”

About Inter and Newcastle, everyone wants Debuchy. Do not bother these rumors?
    “No, I’m calm. At the end of last year Pardew had warned me that his intention was to make me play right, but that another would come back. Ben is Debuchy or whoever, whether it is a good player who can help the team. Then we see who the coach will decide to deploy … “.

If you’re not convinced, Roma are looking for a fullback …
    “I know, I know (laughs Ed.) The Giallorossi showed up a little ‘time ago, but Newcastle has now refused to let me. A okay with me, because I have set in England and I have no intention of to move. I’m only here for a year is too early to pack up and go back to redo. “

• miggy

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

welcome to the toon gael look 4wd to seeing ya as do many o us wellcome to the family

• Indian Magpie

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

did i miss anything today 😉

• GFH

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

NUFC786 @3 I’ve been having similar thoughts , especially Tiote taking him on as a Mentor .They seem so very similar not just in playing style , but also in the intensity of their character and true humility .Not that they have much to be humble about.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Thanks Yorkshire Toon very insightful interview that one. Glad to read at the end that he has no intention of leaving and that Pardew has thought of putting him at RB.

HWTL

• Baro

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I am so delighted we have signed Gael Bigirimana!! He looks like a humble lad, with tons of potential. My favorite part about him, is he runs all day, and is nonstop. Hopefully he picks up tips and triks from Cabaye and Tiote……

• Baro

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Can’t wait for the new season!!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Brilliant signing, great way to strengthen the team – if he realises his promise he’ll be our other Tiote pretty soon.

• yorkshireToon

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

No worries!

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Looks like he’ll be a mini Tiote!

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Is that Curtis Good transfer a no go now or what’s happening? 🙂

Would have been a good day to unveil not one but two players 🙂

…hope for Debuchy next week.

• giimps

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

gotta say, the beginning of his life in England sounds like another episode of the film series “Goal”.
    Shola and Sammy will be his religious counsel and Cheick and Cabaye will be his pitchside mentors, I can see him being very well liked and a tryer , hopefully with a good team ethic and support he will become a star for us and we can adopt him as another potential hero for us.
    Welcome to Tyneside Gael
    HWTL

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

jesper

Hope Anita deal is still live too, behind the scenes, don’t want the scum to get him..

A CB as well and that’ll do nicely – unless Curtis Good is reckoned to be near enough to first team level.

Remember… you’ll never win anything with kids !

• Indian Magpie

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Why would NUFC introduce him as they have, if he were an academy player it would have been very quite i think any way

• Ronaldo7

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Everyone youve got to watch this

It made me laugh
    WATCH NOW !!!

• Ronaldo7

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

BTW im not a mackem
    im a scouse

• Ronaldo7

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

nufc786
    Comment 22 is mainly for u

• Ronaldo7

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

brings back good memories.
    Too bad i dont know what that feels like bcoz my team never has

• Offkey

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

No matter – you have the memory of all Downings assists and goals………

• Indian Magpie

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ronaldo 7,

keep going like this and you will have that feeling. Oh desperate name BTW

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

By the way, how is Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam as a CM partnership?

• toon smart

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Back to the football….

Regarding the interview with Santon and his revelation that Pardew wants to play at right back, does this open the door to Erik Pieters coming in?

• Offkey

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

@28 The answer is…….errr……………retarded

• Indian Magpie

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

And please tell Jose, we are in top 5 and last i saw him he was in GOAl

• toon smart

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

*play santon at right back not pardew

• giimps

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Ronaldo7
    Unless you support Wigan, all English teams have been relegated in the English league,

• graham cwarr

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

@too smart as long as it doesn’t open the door for ketsbaia to crawl up his own backside

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I knew he was signed with the intention of playing at right-back.

• Dannyo

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Santon to be moved over to the right.
    The Debuchy link seems very odd imo in that case. We would be better off with an LB in that case.
    Fergy alone at LB with Santon to cover in that case?

Bit of an oddity for me.

• Sholadona

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

@Ronaldo7

Very ironic for a Liverpool fan to be posting in this article about a new Newcastle player. You guys helped fund the transfer in the first place!

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

That’s why I’ve suggested Cissokho. He’s younger than Debuchy as well.

• graham cwarr

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Damnit ketsbaia lol but still, you knew? Inside man?

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Ronaldo7 – YOU TOOL! lol Is your shite scouse site not good enough??

Envy is a killer disease you sad c**t.