Santon – Newcastle Refused Roma’s Approach – That’s OK

Davide Santon has been interviewed on the web-site Calciomercato.com and he was asked such questions as –  does he see himself returning to the Italian National side,  and would he be interested in joining Roma, who are looking for a new full-back.

Davide Santon – training at Newcastle

The 21 year-old 6’2″ full-back nailed down a starting position at left back last season for Newcastle, but he didn’t make it into the first team regularly until the start of the year, after being allowed time to get used to the fast pace and physical nature of the Premier League.

Davide managed 27 appearances for the Magpies in total last season, and that helped the side finish in 5th place, and qualify for the Europa League, for the first time in six years.

Newcastle are chasing  France’s Mathieu Debuchy, the Lille right back, and since Davide can play in either full-back position, it is  expected he will keep his starting position next season.

But Davide will also have to maintain the improvement he showed over the last half of last season.

The Italian International and former Inter-Milan player answered these questions on the web-site Calciomercato.com, and with help from Google translate and myself – here’s a reasonable translation of what the youngster said:

=================

Would have gladly given up a few days of vacation to be part of the Italian squad in Euro 2012?

“It would have been great, but manager Prandelli has made his choices and I have limited myself to cheer for the Blues in front of the TV. They did a great tournament, pity only for the final. We must say that Spain is very strong and when we were in 10 it was almost impossible to result. “

Are you confident you can return to the National team in the future?

Well, a little ‘think about it. But we must go step by step: if I continue to do well here in the Premier League, then I know I will have my chance. In 2014 there is the World Cup in Brazil, I would love to be there.”

For the moment you are the captain of the Italian U21 side, but the U21 manager Ciro Ferrara will soon be appointed the new coach of Sampdoria – are you sorry about this?

“I must say the truth,  a bit  of  me  was expecting it. The manager follwoing the last game with Ireland confided that there was  every probability he would go down another road. I I wish him all the very best in Genoa.”

“To me Ferrara has been important, and he has given me back my confidence in what was a difficult moment,  and he gave me the U21 captaincy and lots of  tips. “

Let’s return to England, and the new season will be starting soon  at Newcastle – how are things going?

“We are heavily loaded. Last year we almost touched qualification for the Champions League, something unthinkable earlier this year.” ” Finally we qualified for the Europa League, which the club is always pleased to be part of.”

“I thought it would be exciting to go to San Siro. But, if I have my choice, I hope not to face Inter-Milan. They’re putting out a good team and as opponents they would be fearsome.”

Both Inter-Milan and Newcastle – everyone wants Debuchy – do these things going on in the transfer market bother you ?

“No, I am calm. At the end of last season Newcastle manager Pardew had warned me that his intention was that a new full-back would arrive – be that  Debuchy or whomever.”

“But  if  he is a good player who can help the team – that’s good – and  then we see who the coach will decide to deploy.”

If you’re not convinced, Roma are looking for a new full-back …

“I know, I know” (Davide laughs).  The Giallorossi showed up a little while ago, but Newcastle immediately refused to let me speak with them.  That’s okay with me.”

“I  am settled in England and I have no intention of  a move.”  “I’ve only been here a year, it is too early to pack your bags and come back. “

=================

Davide took some time to settle on Tyneside last season, which is understandable for one so young and away from his homeland for the first time.

But Davide also showed he’s an excellent technical player, and quickly became a firm fan favorite on Tyneside, and we think this lad can keep improving, the more playing time he gets in England – be that at left back or right back in the Newcastle first team.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook:

=============================================

• rich_toonfan

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Very good words from santon, he seems a good lad and a very hard worker.

Would love him to spend the rest of his career here…but at the same time you can never begrudge a player moving back to his home country, as long as he does it in a sensible way.

• Beattie25

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Ketsbia

I’ve been in your position as one of the most hated man on the blog before.

So here’s some advice. Tone it down a bit with the arrogance. Don’t presume to know more than anybody else. Respect other people’s opinions, especially the people who don’t respect yours and always back up your opinions with cohesive arguments. For example if you think we can buy those players in reality tell us why you think so despite the obvious press releases to the contrary (Alderweirled).

I for one like your enthusiasm and belief in our club and welcome the debates you bring to this blog.

One final bit of advice, if you are trying to be funny and annoy people it seems to be working better than I could ever do it so keep it up. If you want people to take you seriously show us why you think you are clever instead of just saying you are.

Good luck mate

• Beattie25

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Davide Santon will be immense next year

• thepict

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Excellent player. Don’t see any reason why he won’t see his contract out.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I think the lad realises he is still on a learning curve and as such needs to get what he can from NUFC and the premier league and then possibly move on as a more complete player.

He is not that yet and he knows it.

• Whoarya.com

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Love Santon Love pigeon English too Pardiola must be a genius to communicate with our multi cultured team

• Kyo

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I love Santon. Very talented.

• montevideomag

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Beattie, I never hated you, but I do like the wise Krishnamurti more – well done bonny lad

• jbkeel9

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hey every1 just joined the site so 1st post, top player big future ahead of him, really lookin 4ward 2this season we’ve alot of young talent, exciting times ahead

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Beattie25 @ # 2

Read a post from K9 where they claimed to be intelligent but in all honesty when reading their posts I seriously wonder.

And that is giving him the benefit of the doubt as I believe English is not his first language.

But their posts give the impression that they are oblivious to all the info that is coming out about the club and any potential signings which really brings into doubt any claims to intelligence.

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM

If we dont get Hoilett anyone else think we should go for Sessegnon from the mackems.

——————————-Krul——————————-

–Debuchy——-Taylor———Collocini——Santon–

——————————-Tiote——————————-

——HBA—————–Cabaye———–Sessegnon—-

———————–Cisse————Ba————————

• Ben3arfa

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Santon is a future starting full back for Italy , hope he stays with us for years to come ..

• pizzicatochan

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I think we are actually doing better in building the team as we are getting Amalfitano and Bigirimana as future starters, along with Abeid, Good and you can name a few more. We have made good use of the Carroll’s dollars. To me, Luuk De Jong is only a plus, and JJ Hooper and Adam Campbell can be tried.

• jimmyxavi

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Demba Ba Demba Ba ?@dembabafoot

I got something i forgot to tell you…..

• JAMSHA

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Any1 thinks krul should have a hair cut ? Or mayb he could keep a ponytail or curl his hair like colo.

• jimmyxavi

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Demba Ba ?@dembabafoot

Was running on the beach near canne on holiday and i run pass this big house with…..nufc flag on top of the house!!!!!

• montevideomag

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Jimmyxavi – we get everywhere, got the flag in my window here in Montevideo

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Big Pappa Cisse

Does Sunderland own him? I cannot remember.

The problem with Sessègnon is that he is 28, he is probably on high wages and he might be expensive.

And the question is, can we get someone equal as good, younger and cheaper who will give us the goal from the midfield we need? 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Personally I would like Frimpong from Arsenal or Corgnet from Dijon 🙂

They are within our grasp.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Big Pappa Cisse @ # 10

Sorry and don’t take this the wrong way but I never normally look at team listings that are posted up as most generally just show the lack of ability in the poster for all the necessary attributes to come together.

So I leave that to the men paid to do that very thing.

But to be honest in looking at your listing I am struck by the potential and promise that these players have, outside of Debuchy who is an unconfirmed player and Sess as he is just on your wish list the rest have enormous potential.

Yes we have had bid name players, and players of enormous potential in the past but we have generally paid for them as made players and paid through the nose for them, but this current squad and possible additions could be really scarily good this coming season as they have had more time to get to know one another.

Not only that but the development players are looking better and better Bigirimama looks to be an excellent addition, we look to be going from strength to strength and long may it continue.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

sorry big name players

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Damm,,,,,, rum, larger and clumsy fingers do not go to making readable posts

• Beattie25

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’d love Frimpong but I don’t think he’s within our grasp.

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

cupiddstunt

what kind of rum? 🙂

• Kyo

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

This just in:

De Jong deal is over. He told FC Twente that he’s not happy with their way of negotiating and that he only wants to go to Gladbach. 🙁

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Beattie25

He is not? is he a regular at Arsenal?

I thought he might be within our grasp, but what do I know :)…but he is a player a really admire.

• SupaToonKid

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I still think we’ve got a great chance of signing Hoilett as come on the Chronicle isn’t the most reliable source for information. If we do miss out then I’d take a look at Luciano Narsingh or Hueng-Min Son. Sessegnon is too old & I doubt the Mackums would sell him to us also Sessegnon does not offer us as much as Hoilett & the others I mentioned as they are all very versatile whereas Sessegnon is a CAM who when played out wide or upfront is out of position unlike Hoilett, Narsingh & Son who can play wide, CAM or up top.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Jesperfuglsang @ # 24

Generally something like OVD I like a nice dark rum but if I want to really get p***ed I sometimes treat myself to a bottle of “Overproof”

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My realistic transfer list would be

Debuchy
    Hoillett
    Gaimero
    CB (not sure yet)

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

cupiddstunt

If you like to enjoy it avec I would recommend a Ron Zacapa ge 23 or Ron Millonario age 15

…or a Flor de Caña age 18

If you just wanna get pissed then any Havana Club will do 😉 lol

God I love rum 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

* ge = age

• tdt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Gaimero might be pusshing it like 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

SupaToonKid @ # 27

If the wage demand rumours are to be believed then let him sail on by, that is an ego we can do without in the squad.

I believe that players should wait to see what the market is offering and take it from there, not the other way around. The market place should set the prices not the products.
    There are players out there that are a match for Hoillet and at a far better prices he will in all probability not be much of a miss when you balance off his potential footballing ability against his potential disruptive ability.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Jesperfuglsang @ # 30

Thanks they are not names that spring to mind from the shelves so I will look them out and over the passing of time I will give them a try.

• mattnufc

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Man Utd selling Park makes it even more likely they will sign a new CM, I hope they dont come for Cabaye – I know Ferguson came to watch a few of our matches last season.

• graham cwarr

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

@jesper and cupid im partial to ‘mount gay’ rums (no pun intended due to my orientation)

• geordiesteve520

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Not deliberately being cynical but getting rid of Park so soon after signing Kagawa only serves to make his signing more of a marketing ploy, yes I know he is a good player but he is a cash cow too. Selling the former biggest name in Asia after replacing him with the newest…hmm.

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

cupiddstunt

If you find the time, here is a link for you mate 😉

• cupiddstunt

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Now tell me GC how can you have a straight gay rum 🙂 🙂 🙂

Or do they go with mixers??????