De Jong – I Fell Off My Chair When I Heard The £16M Fee

News that Luuk de Jong has criticized FC Twente for the transfer fee that has been placed on his head by Chairman Joop Munsterman, which is £16M – a really daft transfer fee for a 21 year-old, who has played only 7 times for Holland.

Joop Munsterman – FC Twente Chairman

Both Newcastle United and Borussia Monchengladbach have been after the striker, and we reported earlier today that the silly price that Twente will sell de Jong for is £16M, with apparently both clubs having already bid £12M – with Newcastle’s offer being cash up front.

Twente manager Steve McClaren has said that only an “absurd” offer could tempt the Eredivisie team into selling their young striker.

This is what the striker told De Telegraaf.

“I fell off my chair when I heard Joop Munsterman.” “That amount is in complete contradiction with the conversation that took place this week between Twente and Borussia Monchengladbach, and with my father George and agent Louis Laros.”

“I was amazed to hear this.” “FC Twente, my agent Louis Laros and Borussia Monchengladbach indicated that a transfer fee of €12M plus €2M in bonuses, would do, if I agreed with FC Twente to drop my contracted right to 20% of the transfer fee.”

“I have already indicated that I will drop my claim to 20% of the transfer fee,  if a move to Borussia Monchengladbach is possible. I am not concerned just about the money.”  “But for FC Twente, this is no longer sufficient for them to agree to a transfer.”

“The president says all players get a fair chance to take a step up to a higher level, but unfortunately the reality is different.” “I have heard other players say that the management at FC Twente does not negotiate properly. I could not believe it, because I thought they are a decent club with which to play, but unfortunately I am experiencing that.”

“Munsterman said recently that he has read everything about the interest in me, but has not heard it, but the reality is that in recent months clubs from five countries were interested, and three went straight to FC Twente – and he knows it.”

German club Bayer Leverkusen seem to have been the latest club to show an interest in the young Dutch striker, and that’s exactly what FC Twente want – an auction for their player, which should drive up the price.

And Luuk’s words are hardly good news for Newcastle fans, because we had reported he was in meetings with Borussia Monchengladbach this week, and the German club seems to be his preferred destination.

Silly lad – oh well, let’s bring in John Guidetti for £5M.

Comments welcome.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Ha he should be a little more careful when reading in that case 🙂

• Indian Magpie

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Monchengladbach it is then.

I hope Ed puts an end to this De Jong Saga

RIP

• Ben3arfa

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

well seems like borussia monchenglabachhfkhfgfkg are the ones most likely to sign him even if twente decide to reduce their asking price

• papiss_on_your_parade

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m really gutted this has fallen through, was really looking forward to getting this guy on the books!

Ah well, guidetti and another young striker will do I suppose :d

• outsidethebox

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

prediction for first premier game
    krull
    debuchy…saylor…collo…santon
    ben arfa…tiote…cab…gutti..
    pappis ba…

would have liked a commanding centre back but cannot see it happening…

• jayphoto

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

absurd amount! Feel for the lad as he needs a higher class of league to develop, he proved last season that he’s a class above eriedivisie! Keeping him at twente benefits no1 as hel probs leave for 6-8m in Jan or next summer! Anyone who’s seen him actually play will testify, he could be a top player, alot like cisse, just an absolute goal getter! Personally think he’s right to choose moechengladbach, they’re a good up and coming team who have 50,000 at every game like us, champions league, good young players aswell as a higher wage cap than ourselves! Think if he came to Newcastle he would be second choice as he is very similar to cisse, hard to imagine both in the same side!

• Beattie25

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

And through all of that not 1 mention of nufc.

Oh well let’s move on, another one who didn’t get over the line.

As a man with an interest in German football I can see Munchiebackpack struggling next season. They are an Aston Villa type team, mid table obscurity most seasons and had a good year last year. They reached their peak,sold those best 2 players and even with De Jong they’ll struggle. He’ll be brought in an expected to play straight away as a replacement for Reus. At SJP he would have been brought in gently, no pressure and play for a club on the up. He couldve been our star in 3 years but he will waste away for 2 seasons and become a money driven failure.

Maybe a bit too far but that’s how I see it.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Well in reading his statement he looks to be heading to Germany, good luck to him and lets move on.

• OoAhDembaBa

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

kalou to lille

• voodoo85

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

12million euros = £9.5 million + 2million euro bonus which is £1.5million

brings the total transfer than de jong mentions to £11million

• magpiekazza

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Guidetti sounds a top player in the making

• toonincheek

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I think De Jong would prefer to stay on the continent.
    No problem.

After seeing all the details posted and printed about the two players, I would RATHER have Guidetti – if we can get him.

• Indian Magpie

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Beattie 25

apart from reus and Dante they have sold another player to Schalke 04

• Indian Magpie

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Mackems already have Connor Wickedham i dont think they wand guddeti

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I’d rather we go for a pacey LW / ST. I feel Ba and Cisse lack the pace to hit opponent’s hard and we need one who can. Hoillett fit the mould but guess we’d have to get someone similar…

• geordie157

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Beattie, good comments there. I’ve watched a lot of the Bundesliga over past 2-3 years and i would be amazed if they finished top three or four again anytime soon.

Just noticed Mandzukic went to bayern, so that’s another one off my wish list gone.

• Beattie25

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Exactly Indian

They’ve sold their best players where as we have sold those on the fringes.

• rhan

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Reading between the line, we have signed De Jong!

• jayphoto

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Beattie25, as a German I disagree, moechen are a good team, I would liken them alot more to Newcastle than villa! A sleeping giant, though they’re success was more recent than our own! They have massive support, great stadium, they’re fans demand football to be played in an attacking way! They have lost 2 great players but they operate well as a team, the only worry is champions league will distract them! They have a lot of excellent youngsters coming through and their stint in the lower league allowed them to clear the deadwood! For de jong, a good choice, his German is fluent, his English non existent, hel get more money and hel be number 9, playing in champions league

• Graeme

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It is obviously not meant to be!! If he wants to play in Germany, that’s his choice, just cant see any sensible team coming up with £16 million that the Chairman is asking!!

If they are not careful, they will shoot themselves in the foot and end up with no transfer and a very pissed- off player on their hands!!!

Thankfully, that’s not our problem!!

• geordie157

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If we can’t get Hoilett to lower his terms i wonder if a move for Zaha would be back on, bags of potential but there are concerns about his poor finishing.

2 from Hoilett, Guidetti, Zaha and Castaignos and i’ll be happy. All of those i believe can play up front as a wide or central striker.

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Indian,
    When we sold Carroll we all thought the world was over. Those 2 can be replaced; besides that’s like saying Arse-anal would be shite next season without RvP…

• jayphoto

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Good day to you all now, my train is at Euston so its time to put the blog away, hopefully by tonight il log on to see our messi deal has confirmed 🙂 im shooting for FHM today (not relevent to nufc but I don’t get tired of saying it)

• Indian Magpie

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ben Arfa, you are probably right

But i agree with beattie, gladbach are a bit like aston villa everton types. i cant see them finishing 3rd or 4th

• abbietoon123

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

few weeks ago i was thinking we would get him for sure

• toonincheek

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Didn’t realsie De Jong had so little English.
    Makes you wonder where the “nearly fell off my chair” quote came from.
    Maybe a German equivalent?
    Whatever – I HOPE his club don’t come back with a “you can have him for £ . . . (whatever we offered)”.

I really would rather have Guidetta.
    Still – in Carr we trust.

• rudy

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Guidetti for 5 million euros or even pounds is an absolute steal!! Do it!

• sks_toon

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I would have thought if we brought Douglas and Pieters, maybe De Jong would more likely come here since we have Krul as well. They would be like the French players at NUFC, sort of an orange revolution! Well thats wishful thinking, anyways lets move on, but most importantly lets get our defense sorted with 2 first team players and a backup CF.

• Robby Bobson

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Make another bid for gameiro i say

• Harley

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Robby.
    That’s been my thoughts all summer. We went in for him but he wanted a move to PSG which hasnt worked out. Now he’s prob available for a few million less.
    Apparently he was our first choice target (sure I remember pardew saying that) and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we signed him.

• Sazzer

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I think this Guidetti for 5 m £ is bit optimistic. Just like reports on De Jong at 7 m £ was optimistic.

• GeordieRooster

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hes off his head, after eventually spelling monchengladback to google them i looked at there team and didnt recognise a single player, and im a big football manager man, id rather have gudetti to be honest, he looks like a young alan shearer and i dont mean his blonde receading barnett.

• 89Norcal

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Would’ve liked having de Jong, but I will gladly take Guidetti instead, the guy is a top young forward as well. I can see him really excelling in the EPL whereas people have had their doubts about de Jong.