The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

More Good News – Cisse Not In Senegal Olympic Squad

4:03 pm, Saturday, July 7th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 183 Comments

The good news today is that Senegal have left both Newcastle strikers, Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba, out of  their Olympic squad.

Papiss Cisse – not in Senegal Olympic squad

That’s good news for Alan Pardew,  because there had been reports that Papiss Cisse would be included in the squad.

But only a few days ago, it was made known that Alan Pardew had objected to the Senegal Football Association about the potential Cisse inclusion, as one of the three players who can be over 23 years old in the squad, and that seems to have paid off.

Senegal are in Group A along with Team GB and it’s a relief that both Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba can now be fully involved in Newcastle’s pre-season.

Newcastle have some tough games coming up in August, including the two play-off games to qualify for the Europa League group stage.

And since we reported that the Ivory Coast have been drawn in a play-off  tie against Senegal, as part of qualifying for the African Cup Of Nations in South Africa, that was also good news, because it means that all three players will not be part of the tournament in January.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook:

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Olympics · Papiss Cisse

183 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spuggy // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM

He scores when he wants (for the toon)

• 2 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Spuggy,
    He scores FROM WHERE he wants

• 3 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The chance to win an Olympic Gold medal shouldn’t be denied to someone because an employer in the sporting sector has a very very minor fixture for the employee to attend.

This sucks. This sucks more because it’s the London Olympics.

What about the Team GB interests in weakening a Senagalese team?

yep it sucks!!! lol

• 4 Levi // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

can i just say the fa said no one who represented england at the euros can play in the olympics and i know it was only a few weeks before but they cant expect our players to go off 3 times in just over a year. and given the choice any player would choose any other tournament over the olympics.

• 5 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Turns out… They weren’t even selected! for whatever reason (we don’t know if Pardew played a part or not) Maybe they just decided to go with other players?

Chill haha

• 6 GeordieDan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

See that QPR have just signed Park Ji-sung from Manure for £2million. That’s a bargain for a super-sub.

There’s a reason Fergie always played him in the big games. Not sure he’d fit in our policy but a very good player for a nothing fee.

Fergie must think he’s past it mind.

• 7 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

@levi

I guess perceptions differ from country to country.

As Senegal has never won an Olympic Gold, denying them their first choice players in a competition that represents their best chance ever to win gold is bad, especially as Team GB has been drawn in the same group.

In Senegal it would be huge.

• 8 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

So still no first team signing? Haiz. Bored.

• 9 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

@Dondatta13 #5

Forwhatever reason … lol

We refused to let them pick Cisse or Ba for Senegal against Team GB!

• 10 Ben3arfa // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM

no transfer news ? lol

• 11 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

geoff777 they weren’t selected. That’s down to their countries Olympic selection committee…

Much like our own taekwondo fighter. Our Olympic committee failed to select him even though he is world #1.

Now you talk about denying someone a chance at a gold medal I’d be sure to start there lol.

• 12 Marty-Toon // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

He will be raring to go when we start out league and euro campaigns :-)
    I think we all agree that we have the best firepower in years,so we need overall defending to be better and need more goals from midfield this year.
    Ben Arfa and Cabaye to add a few to their tally and we need our non scoring CB’s to chip in too.
    Our goals ratio from corners is shocking I’m sure,most teams have a good threat from corners but we ain’t.
    Apart from Sayls and Shola that is

• 13 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM

geoff777… We can SUGGEST that they not be selected but we cannot under any circumstances “refuse to let them pick Cisse or Ba” .

• 14 geordiejamie89 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It’s a bit of a shame really. It would have been good to see Cisse having a go at the Olympics.

• 15 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

@dondatta13

FIFA regulations state that players over the age of 23 can be refused to be released by clubs….it was mention on the news the other day.

I know football isn’t a huge thing at the olympics in this country but other countries consider it to be big. Messi had a chew with barcelona for the last olympics and ended up going.

The reality is….if you are playing for a club, in a different country to where you are from, for a club which you have no real strong connection to, you would probably rather represent your country.

I know lot of people put club football ahead of internationals but that seems to be just an English thing. I personally would rather represent my country than newcastle, and I have supported the club all my 23 years., its just personal preference.

• 16 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

@Novocastrian66

yeh we have the same idea on coaching really….basically more money from the FA, and the bigger clubs in my opinion, should be put into the local area.

• 17 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM

i think cisse would have been fitter than any 1 else for the start of the season or Ba for that matter

• 18 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM

@indian

so you were in favour of him going to the olympics?

• 19 Dannyo // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

So, i’ve gotten a 3 night stay at the Premier Inn in Newcastle and a match of my choice, for my 30th birthday.
    Wondering what game to take in :)

• 20 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The Government hope that we finish 4th in the Olympic’s medal tally.

Senegal have won one Silver medal in their Olympic history.

We need to re-evaluate our view.

• 21 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Rich

well i would not have minded that, Olympic gold bronze or silver is something priceless.

I would have left it 2 cisse

• 22 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

@indian

I agree….at the end of your career what do you look back on with fond memories…

a good pre season and qualification for europa league group stage

or an olympic medal (possible olympic medal)

i know what I would prefer

• 23 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It is something priceless to a lot of people.

To most people it is on a par or greater than a World Cup or CL medal.

• 24 Dannyo // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Senegal won’t get anywhere winning anything in the Olympic tho, quite honestly.

• 25 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

What’s Pardew going to say to Ba and Cisse the night Team GB play Senegal?

#thissucks #notagoodmove

• 26 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Ask the value of an Olympic gold to someone who never won it.

Imagine National anthem and the bouquet in your hand

• 27 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

@Dannyo

Not any more they’ve been neutered!!!

• 28 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I really hope Ba and Cisse can get a full pre-season under their belts injury free, and then become the most feared strikeforce in the PL next season ;)

• 29 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Rich,

I thought you might be at Chester le street 2day

• 30 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

@dannyo

they have a chance, i think most teams do, with players mostly under 23 it will all be about consistency as not many will have a lot of experience….anything could happen.

Also, even if he doesn’t win anything, would you rather tell your kids/grandkids that you once played a pre season in germany and portugal or that you played at te olympics.

These decisions should be entirely down to the players.

• 31 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

ED … time for a “NUFC fans want Cisse & Ba to play in the Olympics instead of a meaningless fixture in Cardiff” … post?

• 32 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

@indian

I would have but I had a game myself….unfortunately it has rained for most of the week so the game has been called off., so i’m just watching the odi on TV.

• 33 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Rich,

If you are listening 30 more days of the rain

• 34 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Although to balance my argument.

Cisse may have been asked his view, then the club might have said we want you to stay here. Cisse might have accepted this and agreed he is happy to miss the olympics.

It is all speculation what was said between cisse and pardew….it could have been a firm no, or it could have been an agreement between both.

• 35 SuperShearer // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I understand not letting Cisse play in the Olympics. He’s our star striker, we pay him big money, we could potentially lose him for a month due to ANOTHER African Cup Of Nations and Pardew wants him to continue his settling in having only been at the club for 6 months. The people saying let him go play might not be feeling like this if he gets injured or worn out by mid-season and we have to rely on Ameobi as our main goal threat (no disrespect to the lad but he’s not quite as prolific as Cisse).

• 36 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

@indian

take it you are listening too?

yeh i heard the 30 days of rain….there has been so much we have had flash flooding and the water table is high that any rain that comes down isn’t being soaked into the ground, getting a lot of standing water.

my season has been ruined so far, managed to play 4 out of a possible 12 games.

• 37 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

If Ba and Cisse have been asked to play by the Sengalese FA in the Olympics then the decision not to play has rested with them. The club can advise them not to play but cannot withdraw them.

If they thought their interests were better served playing in the Olympics I am sure they would have done. Saying that Senegal would have a chance of gold, silver, or even bronze just because Ba and Cisse are in the squad is a little premature.

With those two in the first eleven the Senegal team didn’t even make it out of their group in the ACON so let’s jump off this club slating bandwagon that seems to be gathering speed.

• 38 ashwin say's // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

its a shame no one from nufc squad is selected for olympic .

• 39 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM

@super shearer

I am well aware of the risks of letting him go, but I just think it is an important thing and we should not stand in his way.

I’m not sure what cisse is like as a person, by all accounts he is a decent, genuine lad, but I know if my club had told me I could not represent my country I would have a transfer request handed in within 5 minutes.

I would put England winning a trophy ahead of newcastle, just my personal opinion, I know a lot would disagree though.

• 40 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

@rich_toonfan

Balanced view, but until we hear differently as discerning individuals in a democracy, we have to assume that the monolithic NUFC (Ashley) has ridden roughshod across (Cisse’s) his dreams.

• 41 Dannyo // Jul 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM

@geoff777
    U can assume that, but i don’t think MA had any say on this whatsoever. Why would he? Same with DL, neither does team decisions, they stay out of it, players, coaches and managers have said that.

Being a man manager, AP has certainly discussed the subject with Cisse.

• 42 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

@ruddy

players can be blocked for an olympic call up if they are over 23

“Fifa regulations say under-23 players must be released for the tournament but over-age players need to get permission from their clubs to play.”

• 43 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Far be it of me to criticise another’s opinion but I don’t think we “have to assume” anything of the sort. Cisse cannot be told to do anything by the club regarding his international career, if he so desperately wanted to play in the Olympics then the club could not have stood in his way.

This is yet another sorry attempt at criticising Ashley, as demonstrated by the ‘young girl who is forced to work for Sports Direct instead of going to the Olympics.’

Geoff seriously lad you’re as transparent as can be

• 44 punjabi geordie // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

It is good to hear all the team will be fit and raring to go when season starts. as only 3 overage players are allowed senegal manager must have good reason to leave both cisse & ba out

• 45 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Ok with that in mind then rich, if Cisse had wanted to play in the Olympics for Senegal and relayed that view with vehement passion then I am sure Pardew would have let him play. My assumption would be that Cisse may have liked to have played a part in the Senegalese Olympic journey but sees his interests being better served staying and training with Newcastle.

• 46 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM

@Dannyo

Well you’d have hoped that.

In country that has never won an Olympic Gold Medal it must be huge.

The Olympics or a shitty pre-season game v Cardiff.

Come on… Club v Country doesn’t win here!

• 47 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

@ruddy

thats what I said earlier…

We cannot assume cisse has been told “no you can’t go to the olympics”

but we also cannot assume that it was his decision to not go.

I think Pardew is no fool, if he knew it was that important to cisse and that it would cause unrest and possibly upset him enough to want to leave, then he would have let him go there…just my thoughts.

• 48 graham cwarr // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Been waiting a while to say this again but i agree with ruddy

childhood footballer of the day is Scott minto. Scott minto boys and girls

• 49 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I stand corrected!

The club CAN deny players over 23 years of age to play in the Olympics!

I honestly didn’t think that was the case but according to this it is:-

And the official statement here:-

• 50 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

It seems that the basis for all these arguments that are in favor of Cisse going to the Olympics is that it is a foregone conclusion that Senegal would win a medal. I think he would rather be part of a successful Newcastle squad that has qualified for the CL than simply play in a poor Senegal side in the Olympics.

Or would one “have to assume” differently?

• 51 jesperfuglsang // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM

The olympics should only be for U23s and not the current rule about allowing up to 3 players above 23.

Then we would’t have this discussion ;-)

• 52 Twatter // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Some of you are completely wrong here. Olympic football is not the pinnacle of a player’s career, what are you lot on? The Champions League, Premier League, World Cup and other international tournaments are the pinnacle. A lot of you are presuming that it was NUFC that blocked him going, perhaps it was merely that he wasn’t selected… you don’t know, don’t jump to conclusions. Secondly, even if they had, it is the club who pays the player and the club needs their players for pre-season. I doubt you lot would have the same view if Cisse had broken his leg at the Olympics. Now quit overreacting.

• 53 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@ruddy

he won’t miss a single game of the premier league even if he reaches the final. so it won’t make that much difference in terms of our overall campaign.

And I’m not assuming he wins a medal, just saying from a personal point of view I would rather be able to say I have played in an olympics than not….he can play a pre season tour every year of his career but wont get many goes at an olympics.

• 54 jesperfuglsang // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

There are quite simple enough tournaments out there for the established stars; and with our african friends there are enough grief with the CAN :-)

• 55 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

@GC

Thanks mate, scott minto works for SSN an odd time now doesn’t he?

@Rich

I think we have to trust the fact that AP doesn’t talk down to his players like children and demanding they do this or that or tell them what they are or are not allowed to do. I think there would have been an adult discussion about what would be better for both the club and the player and Cisse may be disappointed but not enough to leave the club.

As for blaming the “monolithic NUFC (Ashley)” for the decision is just plain idiotic. The decision was made on footballing grounds, and as far as I am aware any footballing decisions are made by Pardew.

Broken Record Geoff is getting overplayed

• 56 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Let Cisse win his Gold medal and run around SJP with it against Spurs.

As for Ashley, the barometer of asshole – to – financial genius is currently swinging in his favour.

I hope he backs Pardew. It’s a shame that we really don’t have a clue what is really happening.

• 57 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM

As the old adage goes “you cannot reason someone out of a position that they didn’t reason themselves into”

Rich it seems that you and I can have a balanced exchange of views on the matter, but your argument isn’t really helped by the ramblings of a certain someone else.

• 58 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM

@twatter

The olympics isn’t important the pinnacle no…but it is up there.

Coloccini said how it made him proud to win it.
    Messi fell out with barcelona over not releasing him, until they eventually gave in to him.

The olympics is important in football outside of England and Europe, a lot of African and South american Countries take it seriously.

Think teams like england, germany, frane, spain etc get to pretty much every world cup and european championship so they have a major tournament every two years.

Senegal dont make many world cups so just have afircan cup of nations, and they might not even make it this year.

I know some people prefer club football but I would rather represent my country than a club.

I get the clubs view point entirely, they spent a lot of getting cisse and a lot to pay him. I just think he is as ikely to break is leg in pre season as he is in the olympics.

And if he stays at newcastle what are his chances of winning the premier league, champions league, europa league, FA cup etc….there is more of a chance of him winning a medal with senegal than with newcastle.

And at the end of you career a player will look back at medals, not a good to 5 finish or a cup run to a quarter/semi final.

• 59 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I posted this earlier today and I stand by my view:-

Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM

geoff777, We have no idea what was said behind closed doors. What we do know is Pardew is very much a father figure to these lads. That’s how our team spirit is so high.

I am fully confident that the decision was made taking the pros and cons into account. We/the club would not risk upsetting the applecart. The players themselves are very intelligent. I’m sure when faced with the season ahead and all the games that includes the club and players together made the correct decision.

Time will tell but I honestly don’t think they will be up in arms about it. So I don’t see why we should be at this moment in time.

Relax, Pardews got this ;)

• 60 ashwin say's // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

@twatter
    May be in europe its not a pinnacle but for asian ,african and south american countries it is .
    it is bigger than euro or continental championship
    (jst for information , no reference to our beloved club nufc

• 61 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

@ruddy

yeh it’s good sharing views as long as we keep them balanced.

We cannot assume to know anything that goes on behind closed door but we can speculate based on evidence. And the evidence suggests Pardew is a good man manager, he will know how to handle the situation and he will know the character of the players. He will have said the right things. If he had to be firm he will, but I imagine he will back up the firm decision, if necessary, with a very good, balanced view point from the club.

• 62 peterrwrightt // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

whens Debuchy signing? :D

• 63 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Your just a knob on a blog.

We all are!

We have absolutely no say in the running of this club that dominates our existence.

Keep posting with authority and delusions become dreams then deluded dreams become realities.

• 64 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

@peterrwrightt

I expect that we see a decision on debuchy next week.

all the rumours I have heard from various papers (i know not reliable) suggest he is set for talks with lille this weekend/start of the week.

So if he is leaving to join us hopefully it can be sorted some point next week.

• 65 giimps // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Geoff77
    On what grounds are you basing your assumptions?
    The club havent said anything AFAIK
    The players havent said anything AFAIK
    Lets just stop and think here for a moment, If the club had stopped them from going, they would have every right to complain/ask for a transfer or at least twitter some complaint, but nothing from either player yet, so wait and see before trying to create a sh*tstorm where there is serenity.
    You are entitled to your opinion but until there are facts, thats all you have….your opinions!!!
    HWTL

• 66 2_goal_tino // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Cisse wasn’t selected, and they’ve left out other important members of the first team as well. The clubs stance may have had something to do with it, but equally it may not. You can’t consider the Olympic selection withut thinking about the ACoN. The ACoN IS more important for them than the Olympics (the fact that Olympic appearances don’t count as full internationals proves this) ! They want a full squad for the extra play-off games they have to play, which means Cisse and maybe Ba will have to go to Africa in September and October anyway. Perhaps this is Senegal FA trying to appease the clubs, so that there will be less animosity when their main priority comes around! It could also be that Senegal is using the Olympic football competition for the purpose they were always supposed to be used for … development purposes and giving others chances!

• 67 jesperfuglsang // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

And Rich

Therefor the Olympics should only be for the U23s as it was meant to and this bullshit about allowing 3 players above the age of 23 :-)

• 68 jesperfuglsang // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

* not this ;-)

• 69 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

@giimps

No problem with that at all.

It’s an opinion based on what I’d be thinking if I was Cisse.

btw I’d be very pissed.

• 70 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

@Rich

Although I do accept your point about countries from outside of Europe taking a much higher view of the Olympics than that of the likes of England, Spain, Germany etc and that Cisse probably would have liked the opportunity to play for his country in this tournament.

However, if he wanted to just win medals he could have stayed in France and won medals with clubs there, or he could have moved up the ranks in the German league, as I am sure he had his admirers there, or he could have done what Fraser done and moved to a Mickey Mouse League where the standard of football is similar to the kick-abouts we all have on a Sunday morning, but no. Papiss Cisse moved to NUFC as he saw it as a fantastic club, with fantastic support and going in the right direction. If we manage to qualify for the CL he will have more pride surrounding that achievement than someone who has a medal for winning a sub-standard league medal.

Also, I take exception to the fact that you think Cisse isn’t here to win medals. NUFC will win something soon, mark my words :D

• 71 Twatter // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

There’s little to no chance of Senegal winning it, take a look at Brazil’s team and you’ll realise that, we’ve already relinquished our stadium for the Olympics, I don’t want it to take our star players too. I disagree with the premise that in pre season Cisse would be just as likely to get an injury… First of all, pre season matches are not as competitive and secondly, the NUFC medical team are guaranteed to be monitoring players with rehab systems etc, resting and not aggrovating any slight problems that may occur. As for geoff777, the way you’re trying to turn this into a personal attack on Ashley is quite pathetic, jog on.

• 72 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

According to twitter,
    We’ve made contact with Valencia over an AM

• 73 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

geoff777 but your not Cisse and yet you still seem”very pissed” lol

• 74 Beardo // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Football shouldn’t even be an Olympic sport, in my opinion. Same as tennis. If they must, then it should be for a young age bracket, say under-21s only.

People like Giggs and Bellamy will just see this as an extra event, with no more prestige than a pre-season tournament win, not the pinnacle of sporting achievement like it’s supposed to be.

• 75 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

@2 goal tino

Olympics is of equal importance to a lot of players.

saying as they do not count as full international caps they arent as important is wrong. They aren’t as important to FIFA, they may be important to players.

I do agree that the club may not have stopped them, it may have been a mutual decision between player and club, between club and senegal or between player and senegal..or all three.

I’m sure however it was decided the club considered cisse’s opinion and let him know the reasons behind the decision and said how important he was to NUFC.

• 76 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

@Dondatta13

A sad side-effect of trying to empathise with people.

• 77 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

@Geoff

“Your just a knob on a blog”

Well anyone who was on the fence about your ability to discuss things rationally and in a balanced fashion can have no doubt about your infallibility in doing just that.

Just you go back and sharpen the pitchforks and round up the villagers. Ashley Out! Fat Freddy in. Sack Pardew, bring back Souness. Sign a marquee player who’ll financially cripple us and give nothing in return! Bring back the way NUFC used to be run!

It is “fans” like you who fail to see the bigger picture and I for one won’t be wasting any more time with you

• 78 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I have not seen much of him, does any 1 know how good is he? linked with us

• 79 demboy // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Newcastle should call themselves Newcastrated. why did they refuse to release papiss?
    The Olympics are one in a lifetime in a career of a player…and the season has not even started yet.
    CISSE IS upset i imagine and his newseason could be a flop for NEWCASTLE

• 80 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

@ruddy

he may want to play at the highest level possible and still win medals with senegal.

also I hope you’re right about us winning a trophy, it will be difficult but not impossible…never know how it will do though.

@twatter

senegal might not win it but winning a medal would be possible.

Also when I retired I would rather say I played in an olympics instead of going on a pre season tour.

But it all comes down to personal opinion with international football, each person rates it differently.

Anyway I have to go for a while….enjoy the debate guys.

• 81 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

And apparently I am delusional…empathise with those on the blog who think you’re nothing but a broken record with a vendetta against Ashley and you might learn to temper your pathetic rants into constructive discussion

• 82 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

geoff777 @ #76…

Don’t do it fella hahaha

• 83 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Always happy to take my chances.

Of course everyone knows I said “Your just a knob on a blog. We all are!

One day Ashley will go and he won’t ask “Ruddy Marveaux-lous’s permission”.

• 84 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Honestly, everyone really needs to chill out.

Relax people… Don’t you know Pardews got this ;)

• 85 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

lol Dondatta13 sorry didn’t see your post until too late.

• 86 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

It’s no big deal unless you think an injustice has been done …?

Cisse & Ba Olympic winners at London 2012 …. oh wait … sorry … we’ve screwed them …

• 87 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I think FIFA should start recognizing Olympics

• 88 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Geoff

I sleep soundly knowing that people like you have no say in the running of the club that dominates my existence. I don’t know how I could face the day if the opposite were true. He is a businessman, a billionaire businessman and he knows how to run the club.

Yes he has made blunders along the way but has consistently tried to turn it around. He has got a great manager in to run the football side of things and a great scouting system in place to bring in both excellent first teamers and exciting youth prospects. Our finances are improving year on year to the point where we will almost be breaking even. For all the mistakes he has made, surely the good he has done outweighs all that?

He wouldn’t need my permission to do anything. That was just a silly thing to say.

• 89 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Btw Geoff if you’d done any research into the situation you would know that the selection issue is only surrounding Papiss Cisse, it seems Demba Ba was not even considered for selection

• 90 2_goal_tino // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

@Rich

I completely agree that it may be equally important to players, but I was talking about the football federation/institution. Qualifying for ACoN is more important than the Olympics for them. Olympics is nothing but a bonus, whereas the ACoN is what the players, manager and state of football in the country are judged on.

I just think it’s ridiculous that some seem to think the club have overpowered senegal’s wishes. I’m sure a lot of thought was put into the selection process, all parties contributed and that the outcome is beneficial to all! We get Cisse and they get him when they most want him!

• 91 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Serena Williams wins’ wimbeldon

• 92 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“Yes he has made blunders along the way but has consistently tried to turn it around. ”

to the sound of carpets been lifted and brushes sweeping ….

• 93 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

@Indian Magpie

Still one of the best dog tracks in the country …

• 94 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

What affiliation have I got to Ashley? My loyalty is to my club and to my club only. I have witnessed the dramatic upturn in fortunes we have encountered under Ashley’s stewardship. We are a well oiled machine that takes no crap from anyone in the transfer market.

Back in the day club charged crazy money for players as they knew we would pay it. We were then what Liverpool are now! And you’re still angry? Madness

• 95 Dondatta13 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

geoff777… Don’t say I didn’t try ha!

What makes me laugh is that in essence we all want the same thing; what’s best for our club!

i,e Keeping our stars happy and the club ready for (fingers crossed) a successful season.

We are in such a good position at Newcastle United. For the first time in years and that has a lot to do with the way Pardew is guiding our sleeping giant.

I trust him implicitly to do the right thing, surely we owe him enough to trust his judgement?

• 96 pizzicatochan // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Let’s have Cisse play in the Olympics and get injured. Is this what u guys want?

• 97 peterrwrightt // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

everyone stop feeling sorry for Ba & Cisse. if it wasn’t for Newcastle, they wouldn’t be on the wages their on.

• 98 peterrwrightt // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

pizzicatochan
    your point settles this debate. none of us would be happy if he was to get injured and miss most of the season. now can we stop feeling sorry for Mr Cisse

• 99 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Must say I have missed the argumentative side of the blog :P

Geoff I think it would be just best to admit that you’re wrong about Ashley and there is one direction that this club is going under his reign and that is up.

You’ve taken a moot point about Cisse and Ba playing in the Olympics as a vehicle to spout your anti-Ashley tripe and you disguise it as having “empathy” for Cisse. You sir have a brass neck if ever there was one.

• 100 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

lol brass neck … where the f do you come from … you tart

• 101 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The injury point annoys me.

Cisse might get injured at the Olympics. He also might get injured in training or pre season, or in the first game against spurs.

Yes you want to minimise the risk but you can never remove it.

Anyway, it’s a pointless debate as until we know exactly why he wasn’t selected we are just speculating and chucking our opinions in there.

Basically some of us prioritise international football and others prefer club football, neither right or wrong just personal preference.

• 102 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sorry my last post got seriously rejected … lol

I have a fleshy neck that cracks a lot if I smoke weed.
    Which of course I never do.

Sorry but I just can’t see this being Cisse’s preferred option.

• 103 HoroscopeHorsfall // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

L.Best-£3m
    F.Forster-£2m
    Total Income-£11

• 104 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Vertonghen 2 spurs almost done

• 105 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I struggle to see the correlation between Cisse not being “allowed” to play for Senegal in the Olympics/deciding it was best for himself and Ashley. It is a football decision which if made by the club would have been made by Pardew not Ashley.

I think you aren’t overly fussed about Cisse playing for Senegal and just using this as an excuse to take a pot-shot at Ashley and that just seems childish and pathetic if that is the case.

• 106 giimps // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

TBF, if it is true, I would be P*ssed too but Time will reveal all.
    It could be that Senegal have decided to keep Cisse fresh for the CAN qualifier, afterall, he will be training and playing football with one of his possible strike partners until the qualifier comes round.
    That would be my choice if I couldnt have them together at the olympics, let NUFC get them Gelling together before this very important couple of matches.
    Better for us and them IMHO

• 107 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

When Euros were on, I was satiated with football and understood why rest was important.

But now i miss it badly

• 108 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mike Ashley is into NUFC for the money.

Not now for sure, but eventually. Someone will offer big bucks. He’ll be gone and a new shinier Ashley will have taken over.

Get worked up as much as you want.

All I said was that for Senegal a first Olympic Gold might be important.

• 109 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So Cisse playing in the Olympics would have ensured that a very mediocre Senegal side would definitely have won the Olympics despite the fact that Brazil have a mammoth squad that include Hulk, Neymar, Thiago Silva and Marcelo?

And you wonder why I think you’re just being pedantic?

I am in no way, shape or form getting worked up. If a new owner offer Ashley mega-bucks why wouldn’t he consider it? Like I said I have no loyalty to him, as long as whoever is in charge of the club has the best interests of the club at heart in terms of both the football side of things and the business side of things then it is all good.

Mike Ashley wants NUFC to progress so that his business makes more money. It’s why anyone gets into business!!!!!

• 110 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Does no one else notice this? I feel like I’m taking a bunch of crazy pills here!

• 111 pizzicatochan // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Rich, the risk always exist, but not having Cisse play in the Olympics REDUCE the risk to a lower possibility. Moreover, getting injured in a match is more possible.

• 112 demboy // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

@uRuddy marveaux show some respect to my country senegal.you can’t call us mediocre side Cisse is senegalese like demba ba but had a dream to play the Olympics but broken by A.P. NEWCASTLE has just done his job which is to do a favour for
    england

• 113 geoff777 // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Perhaps quite a few people think that the London 2012 Olympics are more important than a NUFC fixture at Cardiff?

#cisse #ba #lethemplay #senegal #olympics2012

• 114 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Demboy just because you’re Senegalese doesn’t change facts, you guys have a pretty poor football team. My team is the Republic of Ireland and I would openly admit the same.

To think that you guys would have had any chance of winning a gold medal with Cisse is being somewhat presumptuous. The decision taken by the club has no bearing on Team GB, (not England) so try and calm yourself and try and temper some of the quite out there comments you’re making

• 115 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Geoff

The point isn’t whether some value the Olympics more than they value a pre-season fixture. The point is about the best interests of both Cisse and more importantly the best interests of the club. The club is better served having Cisse at the club for pre-season training gelling further with the squad

• 116 89Norcal // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Hopefully Cisse won’t be too bothered about it, last thing I want is him going on the pitch with a bad attitude.

Maybe it’s a little presumptuous but I think we’d be fine without Cisse for the Europa qualifiers, of course I understand Pards decision to not take the chance.

• 117 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Ok so if that is it with regards this discussion I will pin this down as a victory yes? :D

• 118 toonincheek // Jul 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I wonder what shape Cisse would have been in even if he had taken part in the Olympics.

He will be match fit when he goes to the CAN.

For the Olympics, he wouldn’t have played for quire a few weeks leading into the event and a bit of team training isn’t going to bring him to full fitness.

• 119 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

According to French media, more links with Sakho, seems a bargain at €9m

Here is the most common story I’ve found (translated for you non-French-speaking people)

• 120 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yes I know he could get injured in the Olympics but it might be more risky not letting him go.

It could cause him to not want to play for us.

But like I have said, sure pardew will have discussed everything with him and if it was that important I think he woul have let him go.

• 121 demboy // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

ruddy marveaux i don’t think your team REPUBLIC of IRELAND better than SENEGAL even poor.
    you ignore our football history but we still better than your IRELAND.CISSE is only a player like others in our national team not the best but for NEWCASTLE he is vital that’s why A.P refused.
    looooooool

• 122 Indian Magpie // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Ruddy,

Self derogation is fine but you cant tell others off

• 123 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Football shouldn’t be at the Olympics IMO.
    The sports which tend to go there only do so to get a wider audience – football already does.

• 124 Sazzer // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

On John Guidetti – read comment from girl Bre.

• 125 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

First and foremost, Indian you may want to look over the comments because I’ve told no one off and I don’t think I am going to take blogging advice from you, harsh as that may seem.

Demboy history does not make a decent team now. England won the World Cup in 1966, does that make them a good team now? No

I was making an analogy between the two sides, not saying that Ireland were better, although let’s face it, neither Ireland or Senegal will be striking fear into the hearts of anyone.

Demboy I hold the opinion that Senegal aren’t a great international football team, it is my right to have that opinion. As a Senegalese national that may hurt you to read that and to be fair I would suspect that it does. However, I will not change an opinion just to spare your feelings. Senegal would not win gold with or without Cisse and I suspect that the Olympics will make that abundantly clear.

This is not the crux of the issue here and people can get sidetracked by personal vendettas or hurt feelings if they so wish but I am focusing on the issue at hand, that the club, the Senegalese FA and Papiss Cisse all discussed the issue and the outcome of that discussion was that Cisse is not in the Olympic squad. I am saying that for NUFC and for Cisse’s continued growth in the squad it is better for him that he stays here, others are saying that the obvious anger he will feel after being “told” he is not allowed to play in the squad will mean he will leave the club or not play as well as last season and for my mind that is a ludicrous thing to say given that we don’t even know Cisse’s opinion on the matter!

• 126 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Geoff777

Sorry bit your being moronic. You do not know the intricacies of what is going on behind the scenes and your posts are simply petty.

It seems as if you are purposefully trying to provoke an argument. #letthemplay, talking about Ashley’s motives and saying that playing in the olympics is more important than playing for Newxastle United.

You know nowt of what the truth is behind the scenes and for all you know Cisse asked the club to try and free him from the tournament.

If Cisse is unhappy then I’m sure it will come our in the press without idiotic trolls infesting this blog in an attempt to cause a storm. You are nothing but a shit stirring trouble maker publishing ridiculous writings that have no credibility.

I can tell your a bit of a cock by your profile picture.

And demboy AP has not done England a favour he has tried to do nufc a favour. This isn’t nationalism it’s purely club level and
    by looking at your team picked for the olympics it is fair to say that you may struggle to compete. I know it’s nice to play football for your country but the olympics is the pinnacle for all athletes that call this major event their dream from youth.

Footballers dream of world cups, acon, CL, PL etc…

Football has no place in the olympics and that can be clearly seen by the lack of enthusiasm and minuscule ticket sales.

IMO Cisse will be disappointed but not upset as he understands his profession, job and role is to represent nufc, the club that pay him massive wages. He will get his chance in the future much like he did at the end of the season when he went to play for Senegal in world cup qualifiers.

• 127 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ah my knight in shining armour! Beattie :D

Put it more eloquently than I ever could haha

• 128 thepict // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

NUFC employ Cisse and pay his wages , therefore they are entitled to not want him to take part in the Olympics . Football has no part in the Olympics any way.

• 129 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I just wish I could spell right

• 130 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

About Park. I’ve always really liked him as a player but did no one watch one of his only games this season, think it was the game vs Man City at the Emirates, when he was simply terrible. Looked like he doesn’t have the fitness/ stamina of a few years ago.

• 131 demboy // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

RUDDY -why you insist on “gold medal”? we senegalese, know to get a silver medal is even complicate but to play an excellent tournament is always important for the growth of our young team.do not forget it is the first participation in olympics games
    imagine when they lose the AFCON participation VS IVORY COAST in the next September game?
    him and BA could have a terrible shock for their performances in P.L

• 132 Oldgit1 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ruddy / Beattie – a good double act, totally agree with your comments.

• 133 Oldgit1 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Demboy, I understand your passion but what “terrible shock” are you suggesting?

• 134 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Demboy

It would seem to mr that you are just trying to find pride in your team again after the shock of your last AFCON.

That disappointment didnt affect Cisse’s pedormance and on his first game back Ba scored and looked sharp and confident for a few weeks after and was unlucky not to score on many occasions.

Senegal isn’t built around 1 player and Cisse has not been first choice international striker for a long time. Why is Moussa Sow not going?

For me Senegal would be trying to exploit Cisse’s good name to attract attention if they fought newcastles decision. They have not, they have chosen other players and they will play with the same amount of passion that Cisse or Ba would play with and even with Cisse it wouldn’t make much of a difference to the inevitable.

• 135 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Gonufc

Agree totally.

Park looked like he had gone last season and it will be excellent business from man utd and from man utd only IMO.

• 136 2_goal_tino // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

@Demboy

You’ve shot yourself in the foot! You say Senegal is a young developing team AND that is why Cisse shouldn’t play in the Olympics. Olympic football has always been about the young and up and coming players having a chance to show what they can do. Cisse and Ba, if he even gets selected, have done it on the international stage before. Let the young team develop and gain experience at the Olympics and then the seasoned internationals can slot back into the team for the much more important game against Ivory Coast comes around. Selecting Cisse would merely have limited the opportunities for a younger player to come through.

There is no guarantee that the club did interfere in the selection process, but if they did it certainly wasn’t for the sake of Great Britain who will definitely not win the competition either!

• 137 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

People seem to side step the issue in a way.

The Olympics is not important in Europe for football but outside Europe it is seen in a major tournament. This can be seen by a lot of top players, messi, Neymar all wanting to take part.

The poor ticket sales are down to it not being seen as important in Britain.

This issue will have been handled sensitively. Pardew and cisse would not want to have upset the club or the Senegalese FA. They are all sensible with these issues.

• 138 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I bet Man United have a policy where they must have an Asian player in their team at all times, hence buying Kagawa and selling Park a couple of weeks later

• 139 peterrwrightt // Jul 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

BPC
    they will do, its not a bad idea though, earns them alot of money in the far east

• 140 Dannyo // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

@BigPC
    Could be that they’re just quality players and the asian link is just random?

• 141 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I hope he gets a better chance than park did thar, everyone would say “they save him for the big games” but if he was that good why didn’t he play every week. I think Kagawa should play every week tbh like, he is way to good to sit on the bench

• 142 demboy // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM

ok guys NEWCASTLE has a right to keep players there. but reading someone who describe us “MEDIOCRE”is not correct .
    bye

• 143 Dannyo // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Guthrie thinks he can play for England. Can he?
    Imo, if he plays consinstantly like he did at that 2nd Villa game for us last season, he looks to me to be a bit of a mix between Parker and Gerrard.
    Good passing range, but not quite up to Gerrard, workrate like Parker, but not always as consistantly.

I think he might have a shot if he playes regularly and stays injury free.

• 144 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM

@demboy

I fully understand players wanting to represent their country whether it be friendlies, olympics, or FIFA touraments.

At the same time I fully get why the club wants him to stay at take part in a full pre season.

My personal preference would be to represent my country but I am glad some sort of compromise seems to have been agreed keeping all parties happy.

And no offence intended but senegal are mediocre. They have a couple stars, but overall they are an average squad. They are better than they showed at the ACON but teams are judged on results…if you don’t get them you can’t say you are a good side.

Senegal are well below elite sides like Spain, Germany, Brazil,

I would also say they are below the good sides like, france, portugal, italy, argentina.

I would put them in an average category with the likes of poland, ukraine, and denmark

• 145 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

@dannyo

for me guthrie could become an england international…he is young enough and has time on his side.

He needs to do a couple things first:

1. stay injury free for nearly a fully season
    2. get fitter, he seemed to tire too early in games
    3. improve his decision making, he often went for a difficult pass as oppose to a simple one

if he sorts these out there is no reason he couldn’t get a call up at some stage.

there wont be many years left in lampard, gerrard and parker

• 146 2_goal_tino // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

@ Rich

But all those players were or are under the age limit. If the biggest Britich talents of today, Bale and Wilshere, were fit they too would’ve played. The olympics is about development and can be taken seriously but crucially it is not the senior side. Generally, the overage players selected are players who are underused in the senior side given their talent (e.g Hulk, who has just 13 caps), rather than the senior sides star players! Therefore, Messi was selected in Beijing but not this time as an overage player.

• 147 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

@2 goal tino

I get what you are saying, and a lot of countries do use it as a development tournament.

But some do take it more seriously.

I think the intention of the tournament is to be a serious event though and not developmental.

My problem with the olympics is inconsistency.

They have professional athletes in track and field events, in swimming, cycling and gymnastics etc.

They have an age limit on football.

They have professional tennis players but only amateur boxers….

There seems to be no consistency….if it’s meant to be the best of the best why can some sports not compete with their strongest athletes.

Football should either be for all age players or none at all really.

• 148 2_goal_tino // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I agree about that. Ultimately for me football, tennis etc. shouldn’t be Olympic sports. The olympics should be the pinnacle of a sport, rather than a pleasant bonus. I don’t doubt that the footballers, tennis players etc. enjoy it and want to do it but who doesn’t want to be an Olympian! But offer them a World Cup or Grand Slam we all know which they would choose.

• 149 rich_toonfan // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I kind of think any sport where the olympics is not the ultimate honour should not be there.

Tennis is ok..think most would take olympic gold over a grandslam.

But there are only so many events and competitors allowed at the olympics so football is taking away from another sport.

You dont have rugby or cricket there so football probably shouldn’t be either.

• 150 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Beatie you are the man your like the blogs very own dirty harry!

Is this a bad time to point out that cisse hasnt even been a regular in the senegal team yet??

• 151 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

TDS

Thanks punk

• 152 davybtoon // Jul 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Thought I was excited when we got linked with brahimi even more excited we’ve now been linked with sofaine feghouli of Valencia

• 153 Beattie25 // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Where did you hear that Davy??

• 154 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Anyone else watchin the boxing ?, Hope Fury gets knocked out like the Gypsy BUM

• 155 toon smart // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

@ Beattie25

It was posted by Indian earlier on

• 156 jesperfuglsang // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

davy

wasn’t that the twitter rumors?

• 157 cupiddstunt // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous @ # 43

Thank you for your post I was reading through the thread as well as the previous one and thought that very same thing.

C’mon Geoff If this girl exists then say her name as well as the branch she works at, that way we could all mail MA and point out that he is missing a superb promotional point for SD.

Although if this girl does exist there is probably a very good chance that MA does not know of her existence as I doubt he runs hands on every store in his empire.

SD currently has around 470 stores so by my reckoning MA is not running them personally they will be run by the store managers, that being the case geoff777 do you not think it is about time you grew up little and took the anti Ashley blinkers off?????????

• 158 dmac // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Anyone else seen that Luuk De Jong has apparently blasted Twente for pricing him out of a move?

• 159 dmac // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

He does however talk about wanting to sign for gladbach so i look forward to our other targets. After psg signed Lavezzi i think there is a strong chance we will go back in for gamerio

• 160 davybtoon // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Jesper I seem them on twitter but I think there is an actual article linkin us with him, some player

• 161 cupiddstunt // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM

By the way geoff777

It is repeated times without number by players, coaches, managers, in fact everybody that knows football just how important a full pre-season is to set you up as a team.

All you can go on about is NUFC, sorry MA should throw that out of the window and let some of our players kick pre-season into touch some fan you are. (insert a headshaking emoticon here)

• 162 toon smart // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM

again the link for sofaine feghouli was posted by Indian earlier

• 163 cupiddstunt // Jul 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Geoff777 @ # 56

You are spot on there bud.

You really don’t have a clue what is really happening.

• 164 Oldgit1 // Jul 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Feghouli is an awsome player. just watched him on youtube he has some skill and is a nippy player. Just hope its true.
    Thanks to indian for submitting the link. Good work.

• 165 GeordieToon89 // Jul 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think i’d prefer Georgi Wijanldrum

• 166 nufc90 // Jul 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

This is just a massive guess but I think maybe we’ll sign Tongo Doumbia the midfielder from Rennes. RMC suggesting an English club has bid 2.5m€. We haven’t been linked just taking a stab in the dark but we wouldn’t be ones to pass up a bargain

• 167 hoppernufc // Jul 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Where says where interested in sofaine feghouli?

• 168 Robby Bobson // Jul 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

For those interested I looked through the squad yesterday to check how many players we can buy, and from my count we can register 4 more players over 21 to the squad and they can all be foreign.

But I dont think we should be at full capacity because we got some talented 19/20 year olds that will need to be in the count in a couple of years, with Santon and Fergie having to be in the count in the 2013/14 season.

Home Grown (11):
    Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Elliot, Krul, Perch, Gosling
    Ryan Taylor, Ameobi, Krul, Steven Taylor

Foreign (10)
    Colocinni, Cabaye, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez, Ba, Marveaux, Tiote, Obertan, Amalfitano

Foreign 21 and Under
    Santon (21), Abeid (19)

Home Grown 21 and Under
    Sammy Ameobi (20), Vuckic (19), Ferguson (21), Tavernier (20) etc

• 169 Beardo // Jul 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

You lot cumulatively have more bull than Pamplona.

I am the most knowledgeable.

Ketsbaia9, can we be friends?

xxxx

• 170 Dondatta13 // Jul 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Good lad!

• 171 Dondatta13 // Jul 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM

:o Hold on I’ve just read the last sentence… The cheeky bugga lol

• 172 Valci // Jul 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Don’t know if this link was shared or how old the article actually is. Just read it myself so here y’all go:

• 173 Dondatta13 // Jul 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Valci it was published a month today on the 8th of June…

• 174 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM

whose this sofiane feghouli? looks like a cracking player. exciting and lots of skill. him and arfa on the wings. mouth watering. is this just all rumours? or something concrete?

• 175 Kc-Toon // Jul 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Sofiane Feghouli could get out of Valencia CF if it materializes the interest from England seems to have the Newcastle United in the player. The player in this latest campaign has had a greater presence and participation in the club of Valencia, has improved his numbers compared to last season which yielded just half a season at Almeria.

Valencia is confident that the young player continue growing and developing as a player with good eyes could see a possible assignment to the whole Newcastle as part of the Valencia directors consider it appropriate not selling the player for the trust placed on it.

He seems a little to greedy on the ball, Hope he can cut that out of the game if were actually interested. He wouldnt come cheap neither

• 176 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 8, 2012 at 4:34 AM

@Kc-Toon // Jul 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

then its just paper rubbish as usual. looking at him he’s atleast in the 15million rated bracket. no chance.

• 177 jesperfuglsang // Jul 8, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Ilovetoon

Feghouli is not a winger mate :-) he is an ACM.

• 178 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM

@jesperfuglsang // Jul 8, 2012 at 6:34 AM

in the youtube vids he does seem to be hovering in both flanks and looks comfortable with both feet. i think he’ll move on this summer but not to us. maybe to Porto or so forth.

• 179 jesperfuglsang // Jul 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Ilovetoon

maybe he is a free roaming player :-)

I must see I haven’t the rumor linking him to us but mentioning it om twatter ;-)

• 180 jesperfuglsang // Jul 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

* the last part should have read I haven’t seen the rumor linking the player with us but only of it from twatter B-)

• 181 geordielad123 // Jul 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Our best team with realistic signings for next season
    Formation 4,3,3
    Krul
    Debuchy
    Coloccini
    Douglas
    Santon
    Anita
    Tiote
    Cabaye
    Ben Afra
    Ba
    Cisse

• 182 Davies // Jul 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I have something to tell you all, but it’s quite hard to say; Simpson severs Santon’s sausage with Cisse’s sister’s scissors. That is all.

• 183 DraperNUFC10 // Jul 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Follow me on twitter @Daniel_Draper95 and I’ll follow back, HWTL :)

previous post: Good News For Newcastle At CAN