Excellent First Interview With Romain Amalfitano

An excellent  first interview with Romain Amalfitano today on nufcTV by Rob Scanlon, and Romain doesn’t yet speak English, so he replied in French and it was translated by Rob.

Romain Amalfitano in training – watched by John Carver

It’s a very good interview, so those of you have a subscription to nufcTV it’s obviously worth seeing it, and for those of you who haven’t got a subscription, here’s some of what the young Frenchman said.

Romain says he has settled in very quickly at Newcastle and he had already found a flat in Newcastle, and that had helped him a lot.

He stressed that the players at Newcastle have just gone out of their way to help him settle in, and there were video shots of Ryan Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez messing around with Romain on the training field, and it looks like the spirit at Newcastle is great and as good as ever.

It’s obvious that the coaches and manager at Newcastle go out of their way to make the players feel at home and settled, and they keep the atmosphere light on the training field, but of course that doesn’t mean they don’t press the players during the training sessions.

Amalfitano said that Demba Ba, Gabby Obertan and  Mehdi Abeid in particular had been helping him settle in, and it was a lot easier with there being so many Frenchmen at Newcastle.

Romain has met Newcastle fans both near his flat, and in Eldon Square, but because he cannot yet speak English – he is taking lessons – he couldn’t really talk to them.

The fans wanted a photograph with him, but in the future he hoped to be able to have a conversation with them, once he learns a little bit of English.

The 22 year-old said he knew coming to Newcastle would not be easy for him, but he wanted to repay the trust that had been placed in him by Newcastle United, and he hopes to impose himself  at the club, and play as well as possible.

Obviously he wants to do well at Newcastle and wants to succeed,  and he said his goal was not just to do well for himself, but for the team, which is all important.

He’s right there – let’s make a note of that. 😀

Romain comes over very well in this interview, and certainly the Newcastle Board and Chief Scout Graham Carr seem to do their homework,  when checking out the characters of Newcastle’s new signings.

• Sam Edwards

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

He will fit in well

• pbNcl

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Maybe I jus need to chill…. Whoooooo

Seems like a good lad this one aswell, I think both our new midfielders will step up to the plate

That’s me done, im off till the window shuts, I jus can’t hack it !!

• wingspan

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Does anyone else think that we may need to recruit in different areas to which we are? I trust the scouting team completely and im sure that the players we are linked with would improve the team no end but some of the positions seem well catered for.

Our targets:
    Debuchy. No doubt an excellent player but we have Raylor, Saylor and Perch to cover there if Simmo leaves and young Tav maybe. Where our LB position is very limited if Santon gets injured. Raylor did pretty well and fergie maybe but i think we defo need a top class specialised LB

Douglas. No brainer we defo need CB cover

Anita: Again i think DM is a position we have quite good cover for if Tiotes injured. Jonas, Perch, Raylor can all do a job there

Hoilett: Again would be pleased to see him come in but with marveux fit this season and with benny, jonas, benny, fergie, gabby, sammy i think we have decent cover if not.

My main problem area looking at the squad is a creative Central Midfielder. If Yo gets injured we dont have a good enough back up in my opinion in what is probably te most important position on the pitch. Gosling im not to convinced about yet, Vuckic i think is great and i hope hes the one to step up, Roman maybe? then theres not too many others after that that i can think of (correct me if im wrong) especially after danny left

And striker i think we do need an extra striker if possible but again if we keep our players we have 3 guys in ba,cisse and shola that can be supported by benny, Yo, Vuckic, Marv so i think we do have options there.

I hope i dont sound in anyway pessimistic here but i just know there will be a certain budget and i would rather see it spent on areas where we are very thin instead of areas where there is adquate cover. I think we should be looking for a:
    LB
    CB
    and a creative center mid primarily, any other positions covered after that are a bonus.

You guys think were gonna pull any surprises out the hat? Cheers

(Sorry for the repost)

• GeordieRooster

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

hes plays like benayoun or obviously peter , i reckon hel be very good for us, another one of carr’s gems. now we just need guidetti!

• Whoarya.com

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

We do a thorough job in checking out our targets FairPlay to Carr Pardiola and the Cockney Mafia

• wingspan

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Should of said, didnt think the striker position was as important now after the draw for the Acon because its likely that demba and cisse will be here at christmas

• kevymartins

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM

@ Young beattie can i be your personal stalker.Your comments are very exquisite and fun to read.

• Munster Mag

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Completely agree Wingman. We have happily been shifting out guys who served us well, like Guthrie ( how quickly people forget that fans talked about him for England last season ) who did well when required. All this team needs is a few injuries and its in a poor way.

• Pendza

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Has anyone had a thought about the whole demba ba clause and that if we get close to the clause date that we(NUFC) can slow down the process so we wouldnt lose out? Im sure the club could tie up a couple of days in paperwork etc?

• Phil K

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The lad has his head screwed on right, and I’m as impressed as I was when the wonderful Mr Cabaye arrived.

• breno95

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

As some other posts I don’t believe the RB position is where NUFC need to spend money. I would like to see Simpson stay. OK he may not be the best but he is a steady, reliable defender and when fit Saylor can be played at RB although I would concentrate on a LB as Santon should switch to be the starting RB. A renewed interest in Pieters would be a good move plus a CB. If that is Douglas then so be it but an enquiry into Aldereldwield IMO prove better for the club long term. As for CM we have good options but 2 more in would not go a miss to give extra depth. Anita or Bautudi? As for strikers, LdJong is not worth the money wanted by Twente so take your pick out of Lakaku, Sturridge, Guideti or maybe, just maybe a certain Mr Carroll. Before anyone starts, AC would allow for a different dimension in certain matches and allow AP to mix the style of play over what will, hopefully, be a long season. That’s a total of 5 key first team signings plus the continued recruitment towards the development squad of the likes of Curtis Good, Amiiltfano and the lad from Coventry. Plenty time remaining so no panic just yet.

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

TDS

Work got the better of me but I’m working on that starting 11 made up of bloggers.

Back to work we go!!

• Phil K

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

To be fair, Munster Mag – the fans understood Guthries wish for regular first team football, and he went with the fans good wishes. No-one has denigrated him or belittled him at all.

• Vader

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

He is probably good enough for the first team and will probably play a good number of games

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

@ kevy

Of course you can. I put my bins out every wednesday if you want to go through my rubbish, I take all mail personally so soiled undies are welcome and finally please don’t kill me just yet, wait until I have made some impact on humanity and then kill me in my prime.

Look forward to working with you!

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Beattie work??

• Warwick Hunt

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Foreign Players just seem to be more down to earth and intelligent than English Players!

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

@ Warwick

Based on what exactly ?

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Beattie

Am a totally left footed overlapping LB, but nearer hip replacement than my playing days….

In Beattie we trust !

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Big pappa id imagine based on rooney and joe cole those boys are thick as sh1t!

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What about Tavernier ?

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

BPC

Well, just following the news about John Terry in court today might well lead you to Warwick’s conclusions..

For one I’ve really enjoyed Benny’s philosophising interviews, and Yo’s website shows he’s got a sense of humour too.

• Warwick Hunt

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

@BPC
    Post match interviews, press reports and the like, even foriegn pundits on TV footy progs. I’ve thought it for a long time to be honest, they just seem more balanced.

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I think that Pardew is investing a lot of faith in the youth! Is that misguided, perhaps yes.

One thing Is for certain, we needed to strengthen even before smith, lover, Guthrie, best and Forster left and now the need to find depth is paramount to the success of our forthcoming season.

We need a lot of additions to cover a multitude of areas yet I am scared that the longer the window goes on the closer we get to a disatorous window and the further we get from repeating last seasons success.

Ive said a million times this is the biggest window in the clubs history, a chance to build on success and add to our star studded team and really push on.

Many have said ‘but the window has only been open a week.’ that scares me even more.

Why have we not tied up any deals already? It is essential you get the players in and settles early and concentrate on the upcoming season. That was done last year and it boded well for us. I am very nervous and I hope that it is just a delay to proceedings and not what ny mind is screaming at me, and my kind is screaming there is no intention of signing Debuchy, De Jong or any of the other big names.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

The big thing about foreign players is that they seem to be more disciplined about their health and fitness and are coached to value skills. I think they take their careers more seriously. Just as many prima donnas and toy chuckers though…

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes TDS

I am a professional blogger and was commenting on Tom Cruises divorce!

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

You cant just say oh English players are not smart or not down to earth, there are plenty of foreign idiots aswell

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Beattie

You’ll never win anything with kids 🙂

unless you’ve got the right kids…

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

TDS

What position do you play. LB is taken by magpiesflyhigh and I’m making myself a CB due to my incredible tackle.

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’m sure Tavernier is a smart down to earth kid

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

If you win things with kids why are footballers not 7 year old?

That should be our remit. Change the age limit I say, nobody over 12 should be signed. We should be scouting fetuses.

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

@ Beattie

Incredibly small or large? 🙂

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Beattie i play i tiote role as in ppl see me and run

Hope katie takes that midget to the cleaners *SNAP*

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Smaller than you could ever imagine.

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

TDS

Oh no you didnt

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

@Warwick – I wouldn’t base estimations of intelligence on post match interviews!

Also, the foreign pundits which are brought in… why do you think they are brought in? They are the good/ intelligent ones!

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

You best believe it guuuurrrrllllfriend

Man we need a signing quick

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Ok so so far we have

LB – Magpiesflyhigh
    CB – Beattie25
    DM- Toonarmydownsouth

Who else is on the team. We’re holding trails!! What position and why!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

gonbufc

yeh but you might diagnose potential lobotomy patients on the basis of post match interviews ‘arry

1 2 3 7