Newcastle Squad Get To Know Season Targets This Week

Mike Williamson has talked to the Newcastle Journal today, and says the two days the lads did at the Benton Training Grounds last week were reasonably gentle.

Mike Williamson – season targets this week

But of course with Newcastle ready to jet out towards the end of this week,  for their first pre-season game against Chemnitzer FC at the Stadion an der Gellertstraße in Chermnitzer, Germany on Friday night, the training will be picked up big time this week.

And Mike is expecting the Newcastle squad to get to know what this season’s targets are this week, and that should be interesting.

Last season the target was to finish in the top ten in the Premier League, and the lads way exceeded that, with a terrific 5th place finish, and even qualified for the Europa League for the upcoming season – way ahead of schedule.

So it will be very interesting to learn what the new targets are for this season.

This is what Mike said today:

“We’ve been broken in reasonably gently last week, but the hard work will begin on Monday,”  “It feels more settled this summer than maybe it has been before. You get that feeling around the place, there’s a feeling that we’re looking forward to what’s to come.”

“We’re ambitious again next year – we’ve not been told what is expected yet. John Carver just told us that last week was about fitness and then I’m sure this week we’ll get our targets,  and it will be broken down for us. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

We’ll take a guess at what the goals are – and we’ll say a top six finish in the Premier League and qualification for the Europa League group stages.

That second goal simply means we will have to win our two game play-off game in late August, against a team we will not know until the draw is made on Friday, August 10th.

And at the moment Newcastle face three games in the first eight days of the season and two games in three days, with the first Europa League play-off game currently scheduled for the Thursday before we travel to Chelsea on the following Saturday – 25th August.

But if we win that play-off tie we’ll be in a group of four teams in the Europa League, and will play six games in Europe before the end of the year.

What do you think the targets should be for next season?

Comments welcome.

• Indian Magpie

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Shola’s target – not to slip on the ball more than 5 times in his 20 min Cameo

Sorry 🙄

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

@ Fatman Joe last post

many top teams have a top class CB as their 3rd choice. but not many top teams have an average 28 year old as back up.

We need to invest in youth like the top teams. 2 great 19-20 year olds that can do a great job covering for injuries and dot mind sitting on a bench and pushing the first team.

Man Ure have Vidic, Ferdinand, Smalling and Jones
    Chelsea have Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Luiz
    Spurs have Gallas, Vertonghen, Caulker and Kaboul
    Arsenal have Vermalen, Kosenicly, Mertersaker and Coquilin

Etc…

• GeordieToon89

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I’ve got a really big feeling were going to sign Hoilett, I just think a free transfer all be it with a minimal compensation package for a player of his quality and potential is way to good to miss out on and i’d be genuinely disappointed if we werent interested in him

• Indian Magpie

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Coquilin is not a CD, he is a CDM

• FatmanJoe

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I’m not being difficult here but I am struggling to see the top class third choice cb you’re referring to on that list. And I really am trying. Ivanovic probably but then Cahill only arrived in January so he hasn’t been third choice for long.

And we finished above Chelsea with mike playing majority of the season.

Other than that… Nope

• Twatter

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

@GeordieToon89

Can’t really see it myself, he wants really large wages and we’re not the kind of club to give them out. If it is to be believed then he’s asking for 60k/70k which is far too much for us.

• Colo-Sus

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM

@GT89

we have already been said to be uninterested, due to his high wage demands apparently he wamts 50k plus, he can jog on in my opinion.

In Carr we trust.

I have not commented on here in a while, mainly due to the fact that i couldnt be a***d. However its also due the the fact that once again certain people on here are doing the usual..

Linking us with anyone they have signed on footy manager whos done well, and constantly worrying about the ”lack of signings”

CALM DOWN, its early july for christs sake, we will get the right players with the right ATTITUDE, most importantly at the RIGHT PRICE.

I am glad we are not paying over the odss for De Jong, MA has shown with CISSE that if we want a player bad enough that we will pay decent money but not silly money.

People might say that the ”TOP CLUBS” pay out big fees and get big players.

The facts are that IT WONT LAST. I guarantee you that, eventually the money alsways dries up and the market crashes. Football is no different, look at all big sporting booms and busts, for example the Horse racing and bloodstock indusrty in the late 80’s. The big investors simply stopped paying huge prices for young horses and the market crashed.

Even the arabs will not pay out huge sums forever. We are a sensibly run club and I love the way we are going. Other teams will follow suit I promise you.

I will remain calm throughout Silly Season, I wont believe anything until our official website confirms its true, and I will trust in our management and board to make sound financial and football decisions.

The truth is if us fans ran the club the way we preach on here we would more than likely still be in the chamionship or worse.
    Hope we can get Debuchy in and a young stiker with ability at a good price, a CB and some cover for Cabaye and Tiote.
    HWTL!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Colo-Sus…You’re calm head and rational thinking have been missed.

• jimmymagpie

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Has anybody heard how the Curtis Good situation is developing, or not. I can’t find anyone who knows what is happening. I’m not convinced how badly the club are trying for Debuchy, either. There is a young right back at Sochaux that Carr fancies, and would be a lot cheaper. I do know that they are not finding it as easy as previously to negotiate bargains. The trouble is that to advance the team from where we are, you’re talking full internationals from good leagues, and to buy them you have to get near the market value. Put in half price bids for the likes of Anita, De Jong, and Debuchy, and we get laughed at.

• Colo-Sus

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

@Ibiza, haha cheers pal, hope alls well with yourself, I still read the comments sometimes, and Im glad to see you are at least still talking sense. It makes me laugh when I read through sometimes, just how much you have people in the palm of your hand winding them up. Good crack

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Jimmy….I was saying this earlier. Looks like we’re going to have to start getting them in younger and developing them in to internationals. Not sure how many more £3-5m internationals we can buy or be allowed to buy 🙂

Still, Carr will keep finding us the odd gem or two, just like with Cisse. We will spend the money on the right players, which is great.

Personally, I can’t wait to see how the younger lads are used within the team. Could be an exciting season ahead

• Beattie25

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Fatman Joe

You are being difficult.

In order to compete at the highest level and in multiple competitions you need versatility, depth and quality.

Last year at our CB position we were exposed and I think Mike cannot offer the quality of cover we need, desire and deserve.

I think that if you look at the typical top 6 they owe much of thier success to depth, quality and competition.

Even on a good day Mike couldn’t push for a starting berth against Saylor and Colo so why retain somebod who will never really challenge and call the cover.

The whole point of football is competition. If nufc had the same mentality as a team then we’d have finished 16-12 last year. That willingness to compete and quality to do so tool us to 5th. If we want to maintain and push on further we need to compete even more as individuals in a team and on the whole as a team.

• jimmymagpie

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I think it will be very interesting to see what kind of team that Pardew chooses for the Europa qualifier sandwiched between the Spurs and Chelsea games. An early indication of how seriously, or not, he intends to take that competition.

• jimmymagpie

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Beattie – this has to stop. I’m starting to agree with you. Only joking.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Jimmy…I’ve got to say I’m finding it extremely unsettling how much you two are agreeing lately.

I’m sure I remember a statement along the lines of “I will never agree with a Jimmy”.

Oh the good old days 🙂

• Szarka

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

With this squad compare to others our priority could be top ten again. Mostly we are 7th behind MU,MC,Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs, Liverpool -going for top 6. Aldo i think Pool wont fight for CL too.
    If we sign a few guys, keep all men, we could fight for every position, but we need the big guns to have a weak season – like pool and Chelsea did this season.

• wynsleap

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

jimmymagpie – I always appreciate your comments on here as I’m sure you have a fair and genuine idea of what’s going on at the club. I can understand what you are saying about making half price bids for players @ 9. Surely if that is the case, rather than do that for 4 players we should at least be putting in the right price for two quality signings that we REALLY need.
    This club HAS to keep moving forward or I can see it all ending in tears. (ie bottom half oblivion) particularly as other teams won’t be standing still.
    I may be accused of panicking but there again…….