The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Full Back To Cost Around £3M If Magpies Still Interested

9:10 am, Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

We’re not sure if Newcastle are still interested in Crystal Palace right back Nathaniel Clyne, but the Palace Chairman Steve Parish has said today that Palace would like to get decent compensation for him, and it’s thought he’s looking for £3M.

Nathanial Clyne – will cost £3M

Clyne has refused to sign a  new deal at Crystal Palace and he is now out of contract and a free agent, but the London club are still due some compensation because  Nathaniel is under 24 years old.

Crustal Palace Chairman Parish talked to the South London press last night:

“We need to do a deal with Clyne.” “There is a bit of action in the background and we know there is a lot of interest.”

“It is just about sorting out who it is best to go to and who will put the right money on the table. We’re all working to get an outcome.”

“Clubs don’t want to go down the tribunal route. It is a game of cat and mouse on the fee - we’ve just got to let that play out.”

The 21-year-old has been tracked by a number of clubs including Reading, Fulham, West Ham, Manchester City and Manchester United – and Newcastle have also been linked with the youngster this year, and have had him watched a number of times.

But whether he is still a target we don’t know and maybe not, if Newcastle can sign Matthieu Debuchy from Lille.

And if that happens we half expect Danny Simpson to be sold, since he’s still refusing to sign his new contract, and given we got £3M for Best from Blackburn,  we would expect about the same fee for Simpson, with Reading said to be interested.

James Tavernier, although still only 20, could become the back up to Mathieu, and of course Davide Santon is flexible and can play in either full-back position.

Although if do sell Simpson, it leaves Newcastle short on experienced full-backs, so maybe we would need to bring in another top full-back?

We’re not sure if Newcastle are interested in the England U21 International Clyne, and we think the first priority is to get French International Mathieu Debuchy through the door, and hopefully very soon.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Danny Simpson · Davide Santon · James Tavernier · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

thats pretty cheap for the talent of potential he’s got .. sign him up!

• 2 Grafton83 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM

• 3 Grafton83 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

: Debuchy is clearly a different class right now but for someone so young with so much potential you’d think everyone would be in for him at that price. I’m sure he would want to see lots of first team football so I don’t think we can sign them both.

• 4 Markaccus // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I’m sure all this will leave us struggling for natural left backs!

• 5 Markaccus // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

So important you had to say it twice grafton :D

• 6 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

never seen him play and I guess we won’t sign him since we have tav and others to cover that position

• 7 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Repost from previous thread –

I think the 14.5mil offer is one thing….but it seems with add on’s etc it will end up being nearer the 20mil mark which is far too much to pay! Monstermunchback got drawn into a bidding war for this lad and have ended up paying way over the odds! Glad we aren’t like that anymore. Just goes to show however that we have money there to spend if the right player/s are available! Let’s say we still have that 11-12mil to spend…who who u like to see brought in? Forget about Anita and debuchy…as bids have gone in which means that that money is also available in addition to the de Jong bid.

• 8 Toonboy_84 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I see nicky shorey has gone back to reading. May have been a good squad player for free with reasonable wages. I know he’s getting on a bit but prem experience and would have provided good cover.

• 9 Spoof // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

As an attacking fullback Debuchy is top class, but defensively he is not that good, Clyne may not be as good going forward but he doesn’t get caught out of position as much as Debuchy, and being 5 years younger he will improve more than Debuchy, I would rather go for Clyne, but I would be happy with either of them as they are both decent fullbacks

• 10 HullMag6 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Sign him but agree we need a left footed lb in the squad

• 11 Markaccus // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

@ torqtoon. You only reposted that so everyone would see Monstermunchback! ;)

• 12 nobby sol // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

cant go wrong for that money simple as that.

• 13 pieceofpapiss // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Deffo worth the money if Simmo leaves, cover for Debuchy if he comes. Learn alot from an international RB.

• 14 GeordieToon89 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Don’t need him weve got Tavernier

• 15 Grafton83 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Yeah sorry about the dbl post I got an error message and the first one didnt show up till i reposted.

Also nicky shorey is nowhere near good enough even as cover and doesn’t fit in with our transfer policy.

Agree with Spoof, would be happy with either Clyne or Debuchy

• 16 GeordieToon89 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Clyne is class going forward! he’s more of a winger than he is a defender

• 17 Grafton83 // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Clyne on the Tyne does have a ring to it

• 18 Markaccus // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

And if we have first refusal, we’d be “fog on the clyne” lol

• 19 Crow59Cdo // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Young English talent for around the 3 million mark?? Hopefully we bring him in and this pushes Simpson out the club as IMO last season was a huge weak link despite a few goaline clearances lol its a win win get him in.

• 20 jesperfuglsang // Jul 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ed, if we sign Debuchy and sell Simmo how can we lack experienced fullbacks? It is the same as before – of course if you mean we were lacking before as well then your right.

As for now we have simmo on RB with Tav as backup and we have Santon as LB but no real backup. We have players who can play there but they are hardly fullbacks of the caliber we need. I do think though Fergy could be a great fullback in the future, but for him to get better he needs to play LB more often.

I think Pardew sees him as a LW and so do I. We might need a backup LB.

Players should as Raylor and Perch are those I have a hard time fitting in; not for lack of profesionalism or trying, but simply because they don’t seem to have a preferble position or being able to force themself into the team. As Pardew says, you can only sit on the bench for so long.

• 21 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Markaccus – you spotted it!! Epic fail! Although I do wish I’d called them Monstermunchbag instead…would’ve been much better! Lol

On Clyne, I would love to have him on the toon and at 3mil would be a great purchase. My mate is a huge Blackburn fan (shame!) and has something to do with their supporters club – he insists to me that we are still in for Hoillett and this 50k wage demands are nothing more than paper talk. He is saying that clubs are possibly discussing a lower base wage with add on incentives. 35k + bonuses?!

• 22 kullmano // Jul 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

SIGN HIM UP!

• 23 magpie79 // Jul 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Torqtoon?how does your blackburn fan mate know what sort of contracts are being discussed with holliet?I’ve heard that we have offered terms but that where its ended!think he’s probably gunna see all the offers he gets and by the way it looks he will probably sign for the team who offers him the most!if that’s true and all he wants is money then we will look elsewhere and I have 2 say I agree!think bringing him in on bigger wages than the likes of caybaye,cisse etc will only cause probelms and unrest!I guess time will tell but I’m pretty sure nufc will not be changing the offered terms.

• 24 G // Jul 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

£3M would be a fair deal for him. I would sign him.

• 25 JP...from The Rock // Jul 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Ed I kept getting the Malicu=ious Malware Warning upon entering the site, somwthing I’ve never seen before. Hope you get that sorted as it is worrying.

On Debuchy it really is getting monotonous and I hope that after all the hype it will be like de Jong, Gameiro and Gervinho all over again. We clearly went for those players but it really hurts when we can’t get them accross the line.

I really think Debuchy and Douglas are the players to take us no the next level. I am also confident that Newcastle have them as their top targets this summer.

I am really getting anxious about this Debuchy deal and the sooner we get done and dusted the more confident I will be of our chances to progress in the Europa League next season.

GET HIM SIGNED UP NOW DAMN IT!

On Clyne we were linked with him way back when we were checking out Gareth Bale before he became a house-whole name. Look at how far he’s gone. If Clyne is of the same mould then don’t waste a second more and sign him up too asap.

Ps. Douglas is a beast and if we get him I am certain he’ll be a rock for us at the back.

HWTL

• 26 JP...from The Rock // Jul 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

correction – I hope it will NOT BE like de Jong…

previous post: Newcastle Sticking Firmly To Their Transfer Policy