Barcelona Linked With Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye

News this morning that Barcelona are being linked with a possible move for Newcastle’s top French midfielder, Yohan Cabaye.

Yohan Cabaye – during the Euro 2012 tournament

The news is in Setanta Sports but there really doesn’t seem too much in the report other than perhaps – maybe – Barcelona would be interested in the player who looked really good during the Euro 2012 tournament just completed.

Cabaye has turned out to be a top buy for Newcastle, after the Tyneside club signed him from Lille via the release clause of €5M in his contract, but the fee that Barcelona may bid for Yohan is quoted at £8M, so if that’s all they can manage, they probably shouldn’t even bother.

It is true that Barcelona, who have a new manager in Tito Vilanova this season, have been interested in another French midfielder, Yann M’Vila, so maybe it’s natural to link the Spanish giants with somebody who has been playing really well over the last year in the famous black and white strips of Newcastle.

Every player has their price at Newcastle, but Mike Ashley would only sell Yohan for crazy money, and certainly an awful lot higher than £8M.

We don’t think this report has much truth to it,  and there’s no way Newcastle would sell Yohan except for silly money, very silly money, and we don’t think Liverpool are after a central midfielder – are they?

Cabaye played 38 times for Newcastle last season, with five good goals and nine assists, and he was the heart of Newcastle’s midfield.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Brace yourself Ed, whilst we may be able to discuss ridiculous transfer news, you are by no means allowed to write an article on it.

🙂

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

on another front…..who the hell does this guy think he is:

“According to reports in The Sun, England striker Danny Welbeck is in dispute with Manchester United regarding a new contract. United are reported to have offered Welbeck a £40,000 a week basic wage, but Welbeck’s camp want £60,000 a week before bonuses.”

HAHAHAHAHA

• Ben3arfa

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

im gonna try to avoid any NUFC news for about 2 weeks, hopefully when i get back there will be something useful for me to look at

• pieceofpapiss

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

If Cabaye is worth £8 Million then Messi is worth £15 million. May as well hoy a bid in for him.

This is journalism of the lowest standard. I’m going to find who wrote this article and send him/her an e-mail outlining how worthless and insignificant they and their jobs are.

Idiots

• Markaccus

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Papis, they are journos, they already know how worthless they are, they just don’t care as long as they keep making dirty cash!

• Vader

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

This happens when there is no talk of Debuchy, Anita, de Jong and other incoming targets. I’m going crazy.

• SuperShearer

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If Barca come in this a sensible offer, and lets be honest that’s got to be around the £20 Million mark, then I wouldn’t begrudge Cabaye the chance to play there. He’s quality and we love him but to play for arguably the biggest club in the world is not something you can say no to. BUT where would he fit in their starting line-up? Ahead of Xavi? Fabregas? Don’t see him dislodging the Spanish players do you?

• OoAhDembaBa

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Chuck in Cisse for 2mil and maybe Tiote for 600,000 and I reckon that’s a fantastic deal…

• Beattie25

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

How come the blog descended into madness, fury and arguments the likes which have not been seen since our 1-0 home victory against Norwich and nobody invited me.

Guys I’m just a tweet away.

I’ve has to read through

• Beattie25

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Guys I’m just a tweet away.

I’ve had to read through it all. Fee my blood boil, then simmer, then boil again. Readying my verbal punches for the continuance and this morning, nothing…

I missed the only excitement on this blog in the last 2 months. Damn you all you selfish lot.

I hope we get a signing now to heal these wounds

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Beattie…I feel I kinda missed the party too.

Fancy an after party? Some drinks, music, women?

• GeordieToon89

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I’m going for it and saying i believe we’ll have 2 new players wrapped up by Friday and i’ll say they will be:
    Mathieu Debuchy
    Junior Hoilett

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

ITK ALERT!!!!

GT89 – With this prediction your credibility shall be judged!

Be bloody great though 🙂

• Beattie25

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Ibiza

Thrown in pass the parcel and you’ve got yourself a deal

• Slank

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I wonder how many games Cabaye would get in that Barca first team. He would be a bit part player whereas at Newcastle he is The Man.

• Beattie25

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

GY89

If your wrong I’ll never speak to you again. If your write I’ll do anything you ask of me my lord

• Geordie In Oz

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

8 mill plus Messi and maybe we can talk. Even then maybe not.

GeordieToon 89 I hope your right. Hoilett would be class!

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Awake early today hoping for at least a sign of their being some signing on the way. Come on Llambias at least take a trip.

• hoppernufc

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Basically we can rule out signing debussy if santon is guna play right back this season it’s a left back that well be trying to sign

• newcben

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

On different news that isn’t completely ridiculous…
    Anyone seen Chelsea going for Oscar, Hulk and Schurrle which basically spells the end of Sturridge! I would personally love him at if we can get him for under £15m. A rotational front three of HBA-BA-Sturridge (how barca play) would be awesome all drifting in and out!

Cisse on the bench as I think we are gona see Cisse is a one season wonder and Ba is gona regain his tittle as top boy!

• Markaccus

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Juniors Toilet would be a useful player. If we sign a CF, Toilet would be the new ‘link man’ we need. Just the full back and CB to sort after that.

• leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate )

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Straight swap for iniesta.or 8 mill n jordi alba.but seriously what do journos get paid for.they must pick a random player and random club then make up a story.

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

hoppernufc
    Santon can play both sides. So we will get the best fullback we can get.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Beattie….Sorry, I thought pass the parcel was a given.

Time and place?

• cabayeclass7

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Junior hoilett going to qpr

• gazza85

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

If Hoilett goes to QPR do you think the green stuff has talked or would you buy the line about joining an ambitious club etc etc?

• one Tony Green

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

What an absolute load of rubbish. 8 million for Cabaye no where near his value. Additionally he would struggle to get into the Barca side. I see the papers are full of a return of Andy Carroll cannot decide if that would be good or bad. ( I know I am going to get slated now ha ha)

• martoon

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

There are strong rumours that Hoilett is going to QPR – they would be stupid enough to pay him the money he reputedly wants.

• Szarka

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Made up gossip to push down M’Vila price. If someone wanst to raise the price they combine their players with other clubs, this time its the opposite.
    8 mill is also made up, so M’ Vila prise will go downer, or else ” they buy a cheaper but not weaker player”.
    But lets pretend its true:
    Cabaye wont go to sit on the bench, while hes garanteed starter here. Also an 8 mill is too low for a player with 4 years contract. Even the 5 mill was a buy out clause under hes market value. A bid around 15 mill would be realistic only, and only if AP cant hold other top players, that way Cabaye may want to go.

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

newcben
    Did you watch our last game against Chelsea?

Some rumour going around Llambias was out travelling yesterday, perhaps Oslo, Norway as target.

• newcben

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Sazzer
    I certainly did and although I admit he had a good first 6months he missed some ridiculously easy chances while scoring belters….Chelsea was a hit and hope he even admitted but was still class. Anyway i hope I’m wrong I just see Ba as a better all round player, people are to quick to forget how good he was and he would of bagged more goals if not moved out wide I believe. My opinion anyway

• Valci

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

@newcben – yeah thats exactly what i’m afraid of. So far he’s been great but i hope he’s not a 1 season wonder. I mean people have been singing him praises but we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves. Personally i’d feel better if we brought in another quality striker…be that AC who’s return story has been making it’s way around or someone else that remains to be seen.

• Mark29Hungary

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Cabaye is a smart lad. He knows that Barca’s midfield is:

Iniesta, Xavi, Busquest, Fabregas

Four spanish… sorry four catalan guys.
    There is no place for him in the starting lineup.

• brighter

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

>pieceofpapise
    You are a representative of our justice!Good luck!