De Jong – I Only Want To Play For Burussia Monchengladbach

If it wasn’t clear that Newcastle have completely given up on trying to get Luuk de Jong to Tyneside,  it should be clear now that he has said he only wants to play for Burussia Monchengladbach.

Luuk de Jong – wants to play in Germany

Luuk de Jong was at the top of the striker list for Newcastle this summer, but not only is the price for him far too high, but he’s made it very clear where he wants to play his football when he leaves FC Twente, and it’s not at Newcastle.

This is what the 21-year-old Dutch striker told Bild today:

“I have spoken to Gladbach coach Lucien Favre several times.” “We talked about how he wanted me to play. I’m sure the way he wants to play fits perfectly with the fast pace that suits me.”

“I’ve told Twente that I only want to go to Gladbach. Borussia are playing in the qualifying round of the Champions League and I want to take the next step in my career.”

So that’s the end of the road as far as Newcastle’s interest is concerned, because we found out very clearly after being relegated three years ago, that we only want players who are keen to come to Tyneside and will be proud wear the famous black and white stripes.

Luuk de Jong is not one of those players, and yes – it’s a pity because he’s a very good player.

But that’s the way it is – clearly.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook:

=============================================

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

ah well………

• Offkey

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Oh well…… hopefully another Bryan Ruiz

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

john guidetti for me hopefully wouldnt mind carroll coming back

• kevymartins

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

@nufc dont mean to sound rude i was just saying..maby its cuz there is no proper news but ed has been posting every story he has seen an they have nothing to do with nufc cuz there not true made up bull

• Toonboy_84

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Not seen much of de jong so not overly fussed really. On the Carroll debate. I’d take him back. Best out Carroll in. It would improve the squad so why not?

• jayphoto

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

@2 reckon Ruiz would be class if they played him in his right position!
    Shame about de Jong, though to be fair Glad’bach is the most sensible move for him, he speaks german already,would earn more money and would be guarenteed to start there, aswell as champions league football, playing infront of a 55,000 sell out week in week out! Its not certain he would be first choice for us, maybe not even 2nd choice! Think the bundesliga is a good stepping stone before the premier league also!

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

i see its hard sometimes to distinguish whether someone is insulting or being realistic…….

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

De Jong wants to play it safe in the Bundesliga at Borussia.

The EPL and playing for NUFC would have been a bigger challenge on a bigger stage. Luuk’s loss.

#nobottle #timetomoveon

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

7 @ kevy

• Beardo

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Some peak of your career, being linked with us, all down hill from here, you willy sniffer!

• kevymartins

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

still the best site because of the comments an all anywayz

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

i would take carroll though… if he has realised tht he made a mistake leaving us and is willing to comeback i would take him as long as lowers his wage….

he is a local lad and has worn the legendary no.9 shirt so he understands what its like to pull on the iconic toon shirt whether it be any number……

everyone makes mistakes and if carroll wishes to rectify them then a return to the toon would be on the cards for him….. but i can see him go off to west ham…….

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM

i agree with you there kevy.. it is the best blog… but if you had the chance would you take carroll back?????……

• Toonboy_84

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ed should do a poll on who would take Carroll back. Would be interesting.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I’d take Carroll back for the right fee and wages.

I know the way he left caused a lot of bad feeling amongst fans, but it still isn’t clear how much was him and how much was the club.

Regardless, he is a good striker (we know from his time with us) and would be a good option. I doubt he’d be a starter for us, that is clearly Cisse, but a great option to have.

I still have faith Andy will come good. I remember when he was with us that I had high hopes for his future for the Toon and England alike.

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Pardew has said no new bodies in the coming week, but in the next 14 days we might bring some one in.

• Ollieh51

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Good.

Would have cost far too much and Dutch strikers do not have a great history in the prem.

• hoppernufc

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I wouldn’t take Carroll back , he dumped us to earn big money where’s the loyalty there? Also this is the lad who blatantly tried to cheat and win a penalty against his hometown club I think it’s a disgrace people want him back!

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

i can see carroll starting against stoke and west ham if he does comeback…….. just last year the tranfer talk was uhhhhhhhhhh carlton cole .

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ollie….There are also instances where that’s not the case. First one that springs to mind is the golden boot winner from last season. But nothing is ever certain. Either way, doesn’t seem he’ll be coming near us anytime soon, so next.

Gonz…When did he say that?

• Valci

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

nufc786 – I would also take him back in a heartbeat. In the end it all depends what system AP will be going for next season. I don’t really see him shining in 4-3-3 but in 4-2-3-1 he is the best type of striker you can have. He could also offer an alternative off the bench but in the end he is a local kid and still a baby in footballing terms. He has a lot of time to work on his footwork which is where he is still lacking.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM

hoppernufc
    everyone makes mistakes, if carroll wishes to rectify them then a return to the toon would be on the cards for him….. but i can see him go off to west ham…….

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM

would take him back in a heartbeat to be honest. Carroll and Cisse upfront. mouthwatering. Carroll has done everything right for Liverpool except putting the ball in the net. I call it bad luck. He got into brilliant goal scoring areas. He hit the posts countless times.

He just lacks confidence to match up to his 35m price tag. Get him for 10million and he’ll be knocking goals in for fun for us.

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We’ve moved on from Carroll now, it’s a step backwards in my opinion, he wouldn’t suit the style of football that we want to play. Hopefully the days of us just lumping the long ball have come and gone. He chose his destiny when Liverpool showed him the money! Don’t like his personality regardless if he’s a Geordie. It won’t be long before we’ve unearthed another local talent and already some our knocking on the door, so for me it’s a pass on Carroll coming back.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Valci
    i agree with you about the 4-3-2-1 like i said before i see carroll starting against the likes of stoke and west ham etc pardew i remember wanted more dominance in the air if we get carroll and 8 goal a season cb then my oh my we are going places……….as our options will be very flexible….

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

ibizatoon,
    got it from lee ryder on twatter

• Ollieh51

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

@IbizaToon – He’s been here for 8 years, that was his bes season…

Other than Van Nistelrooy, and potentially Hasselbaink, have they scored goals from the get go and lots of them?

I’ll name a few that haven’t…

Van Persie (8 years for a great haul although he has a good record…)
    Kezmen
    Kuyt
    Ruiz
    Van Hooijdonk
    Jordi Cruyff
    Marvin Emnes
    Collins John
    Patrick Kluivert
    Ryan Babel

More instances where they haven’t? Even Suarez is only 1 in 3 I think?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Let’s also not forget, the sale of Carroll has helped the team enormously.

Hopper…Unfortunately a lot of players “cheat” to gain advantage in a game. I don’t like it from any player, whether against an old club or not shouldn’t make a difference.

It seems to be part of the game these days, so I refuse to single Carroll out for that incident and wouldn’t be a major factor for me, in him coming back.

Anyway, I doubt he’s coming back here, just on the basis I can’t see Liverpool allowing it. Surely there would be others interested they’d rather he went to

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

*4-2-3-1*

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Ibizatoon
    west ham and ac milan are interested in carroll

• Dondatta13

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

So Carroll doesn’t fit in with Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool’s ethos of a fast passing style but some of you would take him back and revert to hoof ball?

Nah, not for me sorry. Do we aspire to be Arsenal… or Stoke?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Ollie…Agreed. All I was saying, we can’t just base other nationalities adapting to the league on previous players. It certainly acts as a decent guideline though.

Gonz….Fair enough. Was it a direct quote?

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Getting Andy back would be brilliant.

It would give us a “Plan B”, if we’re drawing or losing.
    Or to hold up the ball if we’re winning.
    Lets face it we’re not Barça or Spain.

A hybrid game plan sounds good to me.

Get him signed!!

HWTL

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM

My point exactly Dondatta13.

I sometimes don’t understand people on this blog. He doesn’t suit our style right now, and I almost forgot about that lanky tw@t trying to win a penalty against us, once again another sign of his rotten personality.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Dondatta….Some may argue Arsenal lack that missing man for certain games.

If it meant changing our whole philosophy, then no he shouldn’t come back. But for an option, he would be excellent imo.

I’m not talking hoofball, but a Cabaye free kick or corner for Andy to get on the end of would be nice occasionally.

He also does hold the ball up pretty well and has been known to score some nice goals with his feet from time to time.

Not saying we should get him back, but as a non starter, at the right price / wages, Yes, I would have him back.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

im going to have to say this again…………..

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Yes, a direct quote, he also talked about keeping Ba and how loved he is up here, how it’s a no go on a Carroll return and said we haven’t lost anybody and options are still open.

• Beardo

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

So no signings in the forthcoming week.

Goodbye!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Hatem…Spot on 🙂 It’s plan B that Arsenal seem to struggle with and actually we had the same problem last season. What was the statistic, we didn’t go on to win a game after conceding first? Shocking.

We need different type of players for different games and to generally mix things up. Is Andy the best choice for that? Not sure, but he certainly shouldn’t be dismissed so easily imo

• gonz

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

You only see the truly loved make a return to Newcastle – Solano!

Has there been any others that have returned to Newcastle? Beardsley?

1 2 3 9