Newcastle Must Hit The Ground Running At Start Of Season

Newcastle had a great start to the league last season, when we went 11 games unbeaten, and that tied a record at the club, and we had seven wins and four draws and 25 points, before we tasted defeat for the first time at Manchester City.

Ryan Taylor – terrific squad player

It’s not surprising that people are talking about getting another good start this season, but that will not be easy with our first two league games at home to Tottenham and then away to the European Champions,  Chelsea.

And in between those two games Newcastle have the first leg of their two-legged play off,  to qualify for the Europa league group round stage – and that’s so very important that we qualify for the group stages.

Ryan Taylor is hoping the Magpies can start this season as we did twelve months ago:

“We had a really good start last season – I think we went 11 games unbeaten and lost to Manchester City, the winners of the league. I think we need to do the same again.”

“We have got a tough start – Tottenham, Chelsea – and we have got to hit the ground running, and hopefully the likes of Papiss Cisse can still keep his goalscoring boots on.”

“I am sure a few teams will have better seasons, the likes of Aston Villa and Stoke. They are always there and thereabouts, a big, strong team. We played Everton in the last game and they looked very strong.”

Ryan had a terrific season with 34 appearances and three goals, and the 27 year-old nailed down that left back spot for the first half of the season, and who will ever forget his game winning goal at Sunderland?

Ryan was rewarded with a two year extension to his contract, that will keep him on Tyenside through the summer of 2015.

There’s no doubt that things this season will be a lot tougher than last season, and you would have to think that Ryan’s right when he says teams like Aston Villa and Stoke will be a lot better, but also we expect Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to be better too.

But there’s no doubt that Newcastle need to get off to a good start, and then we’ll see how we can perform compared to last season, but we still need to have the squad strengthened, and it seems that getting our top transfer targets in this summer, is proving more difficult than last year.

But of course we still have 51 days to go until we reach September, and that’s enough time to get four top players into the squad, and also some talented youngsters for the Development squad.

So we are certainly upbeat about Newcastle – that’s for sure.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Barca planning to get Cabaye at 8 m £ yeah right.

• GeordieToon89

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I personally think Richard Branson will be our next owner in a year or two

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Anyone sick of the Ads blaring out in the Journal/Chronicle?

Add the following lines to your computers Hosts file.

127.0.0.1 cdn.taboolasyndication.com
    127.0.0.1 static.eplayer.performgroup.com
    127.0.0.1 eplayer.performgroup.com
    127.0.0.1 performgroup.com

Google Hosts file for your Operating System to find its location.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

barca official s what are they smoking 8m£ s ha ha how about 8m£ s and messi

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hatem (from previous thread)….So when they come in and the Messi transfer is no longer “pending” and we’re a further £200m in debt, will you be changing your blog name? Or will Hatem still be better?

Yes, the club does have debt. Is it being controlled and reduced? I do believe it is. In a time where financial difficulties are destroying not only football clubs and businesses but whole financial markets and countries, do I think this is good, I sure do.

I can’t see an international investor wanting to buy the club and build slowly in a sensible manner. I personally would rather we stay where we are for now than be in the onerous position Man City, Chelsea and Man U find themselves in. What happens when their wonderful owners have had enough and decide to stop pumping money in?

If we can be run like we are and still be within touching distance of that top 4 (which we were, somehow), what’s the problem?

I suppose time will tell. If Mike did sell and suddenly we were competing on all levels, would we all be happy? Most likely. However, I must say for the first time, in a long time, I am really proud of our club on so many levels. I don’t think i’d feel the same right now if I was a Man City fan.

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Yeah they need at least to add Affellay, Thiago, Adriano, Macherano to get him at 8 m £.

• pieceofpapiss

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Morning lads/lasses.

Must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed as im in a right fettle today.

Regarding the take over speculation. I can remember 12-24 months ago alot of people shouting for Ashleys head at any cost. Now we are doing well, the same people are eating humble pie. This is probably why we havent won a trophy in so long.

We have the most fickle fans in the country. It’s only in the last 2 years the majority have shaken off this sense of entitlement we’ve had just because we finished 2nd 2 years in a row. Relegation done us the world of good and the bed sheet bregade have been found out.

I would love for us to win a trophy with our current set-up. Financially stable, nuturing young talent etc etc BUT if we were to be bought out by a super-rich middle eastern oil family and we win some silverware then i’d be over the moon too. What we need is stability. I dont care how it happens as long as it does.

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

“If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all”

LOL, I know what you mean in terms of long term sustainability and viability and growing this club in a sensible fashion (I agree with all of that) but your last comment did make me chuckle (in a good way)

I can tell you this much, I have a few Man City supporting friends and they reckon it feels damn good in their hearts right now!

• GeordieToon89

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Right i personally think missing out on De Jong was a good thing i we sign these following 3/4 first teamers we will be in a fantastic position
    Vernon Anita – 7million
    Junior Hoilett – Free
    Mamo Sakho – 8million
    Mathieu Debuchy – 6.5million

Total – £21.5million

Then sold:
    Forster – £2million
    Best – £3million
    Simpson – £3million

Total recieved – £8million
    Total spend – £13.5million!!!

Filling all the positions we need and having a much stronger team then all we need to do is sign plenty of youngsters to fill out our development squad

• adi-bizzle

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM

“@skydovaston: Hearing (unconfirmed) that Newcastle may have stepped up their interest in Blackburn’s Junior Hoillet.” just read this on twitter. And guessing he isn’t going to make it up because he works for sky sports so there is obviously something being said or done

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Each to their own.

I suppose at the end of the day there is an argument that each teams position is largely down their financial clout. We’re not as good as your Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, but better than most of the rest due to our financial positioning, so did we buy 5th?

Anyway, probably more non news, so not going to drive myself insane and glad I could provide some amusement on this lovely sunny day 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Hatem…Just looked back at the previous thread and I’ve managed to quote you without reading your response. Bizarre 🙂

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

@Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

I replied in the previous thread.

I find your position amazing.
    So critical of Citeh. So proud of our transfer policy.
    Any club in the lower leagues looks up and sees us doing exactly the same as Citeh.

Strange that you’ve been able to deny the reality that we’re just the same as them already, it’s just our Billionaire is a little more frugal.

• sweendog

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

8 mill Cabaye .. not ever gonna happen .. treble it yes .. only problem is the draw of barca .. but 8 mill can’t even buy anita never mind arguable the best current french midfielder

• Sazzer

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If Underusland started money cheating getting an even richer guy would sure feels good.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Hatem…I have conceded that point already to an extent.

One quick question though. Not including debt already at each club when purchased, can you tell me what the outgoing and incoming costs have been at each Newcastle and Man City? I imagine there will be an extreme difference in the two (profit or loss that is).

If you can as a club generate funds, then by all means you should be allowed to spend it. That would be the difference between say us and a lower league club. Although once again, in the past we have been known to throw a fair bit of cash around and it could be argued we wouldn’t be where we are today without that.

God, it’s a never ending argument.

Someone tell me which club has never had any debt and has only ever spent what they have in cash? I will pledge my loyalty to them and then claim to be a football purist then my soul shall be free.

Right then…on to Wor Yo and Barca 🙂

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Citeh have huge debts since the takeover.

Darlington 1883?

Operating on fans money – playing at Bishop Auckland’s ground.
    Please help them if you can!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hatem…Beautiful. I feel so much love towards them already…ahh screw it. What’s a soul anyway.

So where does that leave our debate?

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

So where does that leave our debate?

I think we’ve agreed that a richer owner would improve our chances of winning the league.

So it’s in the club’s interests for Mr Ashley to find us richer owners … although I think covering SJP in free SD ads is worth so much that he won’t sell.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Hatem….So we’re focusing on your point then? Titles and uncontrollable finance is the way forward. Fair enough 🙂

• estechco

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@4 – Works like a charm – top tip!