The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Open Talks With Blackburn’s Junior Hoilett

8:56 pm, Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 173 Comments

The news in the Daily Mail tonight is that Newcastle are one of the clubs that has opened talks with Blackburn Rovers winger Junior Hoilett, who is now a free agent.

Junior Hoilett – reports that Newcastle are in talks with Canadian

The other club said to be interested in the Canadian is Queens Park Rangers, and this comes after there was a report in the Evening Chronicle last Friday that Hoilett was asking for wages that were around £50K/week and that had scared Newcastle off.

So we have to wonder if there’s any truth in this report, at least as far as Newcastle are concerned, because if his wage demands are indeed £50K/week there’s no way Newcastle would pay that to a 22 year-old, well not these days anyway.

However, QPR seems willing to pay out high wages to get their targets and improve their squad, and therefore they would probably be favorites to sign the player, if indeed they are interested in the player.

QPR Mark Hughes was the manager at Blackburn  when Junior was a young impressive player coming through the ranks at Ewood Park, so he will know him.

It had been thought that German club Burussia Monchengladbach had been in the lead to sign the Canadian, who would cost a compensation fee to Blackburn because he’s under 24, but it is believed they could not reach agreement on terms.

This could be a stale and old report, which is another way of saying it’s simply not true – well not as far as Newcastle are concerned.

We hope we are wrong, because this lad is a good player, and he could be a good signing for the Magpies.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook:

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

173 responses so far ↓

• 1 darrenfletcher88 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Will beleave it when he’s holding a scarf above his head!!!

• 2 Cool Hand Luke // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Shola for the front page banner

• 3 Cool Hand Luke // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

If he is looking for 50K then he needs to wind his neck in. Good player though.

• 4 darrenfletcher88 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Will believe it when he’s holding a scarf above his head!!!

• 5 negative fan hater (jakesome) // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

5 man points to the first to answer who did steven taylor make his european debut against? and how old was he? (be specific)

• 6 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

negative fan hater (jakesome)

Mallorca and he was 19

• 7 9 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Ed, your last two comments ring true – doubtful he’ll be coming our way. a massive asset to the squad if he did.
    Massive.

• 8 Cool Hand Luke // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

25 March 2004 in the UEFA Cup Fourth Round second leg tie against RCD Mallorca

• 9 Sholadona // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

If any club will pay him 50k a week, it’s most likely QPR.

• 10 RobertNufc25 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

If he signs for Qpr,he’s a money grabbing mug!
    Rant over…

• 11 MagpiesFlyHigh // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Am I missing something, but why do we want Hoilett ?

We still need Obertan to come good.
    We have Marveaux.
    We have Benny.
    We have Sami Ameobi

Surely the CB and FB are more important – especially at 50k a week or thereabouts

• 12 RobertNufc25 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Qpr and West Ham are really pissing me off lol

Tryin to sign everybody & anybody

• 13 lessthanjakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

2.5 man points to geordietoon89

• 14 lessthanjakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

18 and 61 days

• 15 9 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

MFH@11;
    Take a look back at what he did in the Premier League in a rank team last year – there’s your answer.

• 16 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

He really is the ideal signing.

Can play on either wing or as a ST. Powerful dribbler with good close control and an eye for the spectacular goal. Would thrive linking up and buzzing around with the likes of Cisse, HBA and Cabaye.

_______________Krul_______________
    Clyne_____Saylor___Colo_____Santoon
    __________Tiote_____Jonas
    _______________Cabaye
    ___HBA___________________Hoilett___
    _______________Cisse

Subs from: Elliot, Douglas, Williamson, Perch, Tavernier, Raylor, Ferguson, Abeid, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Gosling, Marveaux, Obertan, Ranger (yup, definitely think he’s found a green and white toadstool) Ba, King Shola

Formidable!

All of a sudden a jolt of excitement has zapped through me!

• 17 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Surely we could negotiate a bit lower than £50k, would love it to happen, but not for that much!

• 18 Valci // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

from previous thread:
    IFC.Toon // Jul 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Just to let people who want to sign Toivonen, I’ve seen him play and he’s not prem quality neither is he the type of player they would bring in

What are you basing this statement on? Personal opinion? I have followed the player myself and stats confirm that he is a good player. And what d you mean by type of player?

• 19 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Knew I’d missed somebody, how could I forget Sammi? Shameful.

That would be more than enough.

• 20 darrenfletcher88 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Nufcrobert25, none of the players they have signed wud get in are starting 11….

• 21 lessthanjakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM

im being moderated

• 22 darrenfletcher88 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Robertnufc25 sorry

• 23 RobertNufc25 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I would take Hoillet in a heartbeat.

Marveaux has a terrible injury record,has done his whole career.Quality player tho (when fit)

• 24 SupaToonKid // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I really hope we sign him. He’s a great player at the moment with loads of pace, great ball control + skills, good finisher & versatility to play out wide or as a CF and he’s only 22 so will get even better. People complaining about his attitude can button it as he has barely half the attitude HBA had so Pards will work his man management skills on him.

I think Hoilett could very well sign for us as I’m sure he said in an interview that he wanted to test himself on a European stage; can QPR offer him that: NO! On his wage demands it is not like he’s asking for 100K per week; I’m sure we can entice him with 40K a week + bonuses for goals & assists etc. that could add up to £50K.

Be positive lads & hope that we can negotiate a deal for Hoilett. I can just picture the destroyed opposition defences once Papiss, Hatem & Junior had finished with them & Demba then to come on to place the final nail in each defences coffin. Pards Optimistic Army! HWTL!

• 25 lessthanjakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

who is newcasltes 2nd highest european goalscorer EVER?
    3 man points

• 26 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

who is newcasltes 2nd highest european goalscorer EVER?
    3 man points.

• 27 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

btw s.taylor was 18 and 61 days when he made his debut against mallorca

• 28 Swede // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

There are good possibilities with Curtis Good, Nathaniel Clyne, Jordan Rhodes, as three of the youth players that will be brink on the first team. Add to that An experienced RB, CB and DM and we have a good team….

• 29 MagpiesFlyHigh // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Keep going lads I’m almost convinced

• 30 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

We dont need Clyne mannn its just wasting money in wages and compensation we already have Tavernier who is better

• 31 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Tbh 50k doesn’t seem that excessive considering what he has to give to the team. I think he could be worth it. But it probably won’t happen since players like Cabaye are on 30k

• 32 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I’m so so so so so so hoping we sign Hoilett

• 33 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM

rhodes wont sit on the bench come to think of it either will clyne

• 34 Belly // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

£50k a week is crazy if true. What do you think he was on at Blackburn? £15k?
    He would be a great buy but if he’s not interested in lowering his wage horizon then forget it.

• 35 scotty17321 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I genuinely believe 3 signings are needed depending on no significant departures I don’t class Simpson as a significant btw ;) a FB CB and a pacey forward in the hoilett mould who is very versatile, I certainly don’t agree we need 6,7,8 new additions as that would cause more unrest then good, our main attribute last season was are team spirit , my problem is I hate waiting ha !!!

• 36 euanpolo // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I really hope we can sign Hoillet. Even if the wages are a bit higher than the club would like it would still be a cracking piece of business to get a player of his quality for so little.
    - Could we be one of the clubs mentioned here. We were linked with Rondon last summer I remember.

• 37 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

jakesome – Shola? Bellamy?

• 38 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

gonufc, good man its our big boy shola

• 39 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

and bell 3rd

• 40 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

That would be Shola Ameobi Jakesome with 12 goals

• 41 martoon // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

If this story is true then it probably boils down to whether Hoilett goes for the money (QPR) or goes for the club showing some ambition (toon). If he chooses money then maybe he is not the right character for our club.

• 42 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Gt89 tav is nowhere near clyne yet in any way clyne is an immensly experienced rb for a lad his age and tav, for a 20 yr old, has nowhere near enough experience a few appearences in league 1 and ppl think hes ready for the prem? I dont think hes there yet and tbh i dont think the club do either hence only giving him a 3 year contract

• 43 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

since 1990 which nufc striker has had the best strike rate (50+ games) e.g goals/games
    6 man points

• 44 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

@ruddy bang on there mate…..think we should tell indian?

• 45 scotty17321 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Tbf it’s probably his agents trying to get him the 50k a week !

• 46 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

If I had to guess I’d say that’d be Andy Cole

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Jakesome

Well it’s certainly ammunition to use against him haha

• 48 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

GT89

I tend to agree, but if we sell Simpson I really don’t think they’d have that much faith in Tavernier to take over immediately, which from one point of view is daft, because as you say, I rate him on a par with Clyne and I think he’s the man most likely should the Debuchy saga fizzle out.

Think Tav would be mighty peeved if Clyne comes in and gets the nod ahead of him. Maybe he’s had reassurances that he will only be initially a back-up, a challenger, to an experienced RB, in order for him to sign his new contract, because it would be a slap in the chops if it be someone of a similar age and ability.

Perhaps if Clyne came it would be a straight fight between the 2, in hoping they push each other on.

Perch could always start the season RB – wouldn’t rule that out.

What I’m trying to say is, I don’t have a chuffing clue and I can’t wait for it to all shakedown!

• 49 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Shola slayer of mackems and europe!!!

• 50 cheikcheikboom // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

good player, not gunna get 50k when international’s like cabaye dont get that, would like to see him if they can slash the demands.

• 51 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM

@ruddy right im guna have to start making this a bit harder

• 52 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

on second thoughts im sparkin up and watchin a film. good night all

• 53 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You’re gonna embarrass me now lad haha is there any way I can cash my man points in now and be done? haha

• 54 jakesome // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

lol

• 55 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Night jakesome lad :D

• 56 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Pardew said the are working on one player only within next 14 days. After that they might only seize good opportunities in August if the come up. Douglas might count as August signing since he’s need to stay in Netherlands to get citizenship.
    Pardew also stressed the squad will be tight and S.Taylor need to be fit all season long.

• 57 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Sorry but Clyne gets pushed off the ball to much in the championship nevermind the prem, Tav is a much stronger defender and is also equally as good going forward with a cracking delivery on him.. I’ve always liked Clyne but we don’t need him atall… if we sign Debuchy we’ll have:
    Debuchy, Raylor, Santon, Tavernier, Perch – Who are all Right backs (Perch being able to cover RB) .. We need a young up and coming left back if anything

• 58 euanpolo // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

No, no, no no, no! http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7889968/
    “We’ll see how things will slowly evolve.” :( I can’t take much more of this!

• 59 Lee Dodd // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The Sound Of One Greedy %^&*”£$ Will be Heard Again Around St James as he Is Not Worth £50 Grand a Week. Even Cisse is Not On That !!!!!!!!!! Andy Carroll maybe But Not Him !!!!!

• 60 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Also i’m beginning to get a feeling we aint even after Debuchy anymore

• 61 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

And on Hoilett we might get him if he’s considers the over all package rather than just wages.

• 62 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Hoiletts worth every penny.. you can not get wingers/forwards like him on peanuts.. he’s nothing like Cisse who will be getting close to 50k per week after bonuses..

Ben Arfa—Cisse—Hoilett

That will be an unbelievable forward line!! will cause so much damage down the sides and Cisse will score loads with the service

• 63 GeordieToon89 // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

And also it will be Hoiletts agent who will be telling him he should be getting this and that wages it will not be him

• 64 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

So no action in 14 days because Debuchy is on vacation?

• 65 Beardsleys Love Child // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Hoilett debuchy or clyne and douglas will sign by kick off come August. I think we have been patient regarding de jong…once it became clear he wasnt signing we will move for hoilett and the money we save on a transfer fee will go towards upping our bid for debuchy…its just a patient clubs market…have a bit of faith…pardew is not stupid…he realises we need a centre back a full back and a versatile forward and that is exactly what we are going for.

• 66 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Carroll NO NO NO NO NO NO
    Hoilett 50 K HELL NO
    DEbuchy if NO it would be a terrible thing not to sign him, buf if that is the case REPLACEMENT should be signed….

• 67 darrenfletcher88 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Good things come to those who wait lads!!

• 68 magpie79 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

yess!! yess!! yess!!yess!!yess!!

• 69 pardew no 1 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

this is what pardew is saying to mike about transfers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UmHKTX9H4

• 70 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM

@magpie79 are you doing the yes yes yes thing for the reason Im thinking?

• 71 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

what reason is that? :D

• 72 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I’ve told you all before. We’ll be getting Cissokho and it will prove to be a fantastic signing. We need top class players at the club. It doesn’t make sense to sign a right-back, however, Debuchy is versatile, so it’s understandable that we MIGHT be after him.

I hope we all realise that 4/5 top class signings will take us to the next level.

• 73 SupaToonKid // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Hoilett wants to stay in England so he can get Citizenship and one day play for the National Side so come on sign him up as we have a potential England star (better than most of the rubbish we have at the moment) who doesn’t have an inflated price! ;)

• 74 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Just been watching the Entertainers in action on youtube, Newcastle beating Man U 5-0, giving Spurs a 7-1 drubbing, my god we were good. Ginola was unbelievable. Batty and Lee were delightful in midfield Beardsley was just Beardsley and with Shearer and Ferdinand we had a proper pairing up front.

Can’t help but think that we are assembling a side that will replicate the kind of football played by the Entertainers. Tell me I am delusional or dreaming but I genuinely believe it.

• 75 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Ruddy from your mouth to Gods ears :D

• 76 Spuggy // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM

We will definitely sign a CB, FB, CM and Striker. 100%.

They may not all be this window.

• 77 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Hoilett would be a great addition…would be good out wide in 4-3-3 but would also be able to play up top if needed.

The speculation over his wages could be right, could be wrong…..never know, he may have wanted 50k but nobody would give him it at a club he wanted to go to so might lower it.

I genuinely am not worried about transfers…pardew might not bring many in as he might think vukic, ferguson, campbell, sammy, abeid, tav etc are ready to make the step up to squad players.

Also the full interview from pardew on radio newcastle today had him saying he hopes to have one in withing 2 weeks and 2/3 in before season starts.

• 78 JackNUFC // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

————————————-Krul———————————-

———-Debuchy———Sakho————Colo——–Santon

———————————–Tiote———————————

————HBA——————-Cabaye———–Hoillet–

——————Cisse———————–Ba—————–

Harper
    Raylor
    Taylor
    Jonas
    Marveaux
    Shola
    Obertan

• 79 magpie79 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM

@grahamcwarr depends on what reason your thinking my good friend??yess!! yess!!yess!!

• 80 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Lads looking through the videos of some of our famous results, both recently and in the past just makes me so glad that when I was 5 years of age I decided to support NUFC.

I had actually followed Blackburn because of Shearer and when he signed for NUFC it was the day I signed too! I’ve been hooked on this club ever since (I’m not a Geordie ya see) the ups, the downs, the heartache, the tears, the unbelievable joy that comes with being a NUFC fan means that it is certainly not boring.

I dunno but I think I am just enjoying some form of bliss at the moment that I no longer care who signs for the club as I trust the club to do the right thing.

Right now I am just so glad that I chose NUFC… :D

HWTL!

• 81 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

@magpie79 *points fingers to the sky with each shout* yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

• 82 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM

with current team i see these formations as very good.

——————-krul—————–
    simmo——taylor—–collo—-santon
    —————–tiote——————-
    ———cabs———-marv————
    benny———-cisse————-ba

—————–krul———————-
    simmo—-taylor—-collo———santon
    ————tiote——-jonas————–
    benny———-cabs————-marv
    —————-cisse———————-

we have players who can play all over too

cabs could be attacking mid or he could play in a deep lying role, next to tiote spraying passes

benny can play out wide or a number 10 role

ba can play up top or out wide

jonas can play full back, dm or out wide

marv can play wide or central

we have all sorts of combinations depending on the opposition

• 83 Andymax // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

The way Pards is talking we may not be getting many signings if any….

• 84 magpie79 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM

@grahamcwarr exactly!!thats what im gunna be doing everytime cisse scores this eason yess!! yess!! yess!! yess!! yess!!

• 85 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

@andy

his interview on radio newcastle said he expects 2 or 3 more before the window closes

• 86 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

graham cwarr
    do you watch wrestling by any chance??????

• 87 Andymax // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Time will tell I suppose, tick bloody tock lol.

• 88 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM

We might be saving ourselves for some hot prospect coming out of the Olympics.

By the way Senegal has three players from Norway in their squad. Llambias reported to have visit Norway this Tuesday.

This guy have been scouted by Arsenal. Describe as “the black beast” and next Viera. Looks like alternative to Douglas.

• 89 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

who cares haha

our current squad got us to 5th…we haven’t lost anyone of note really

and the only team below us that has improved is chelsea…spurs above us have lost their main striker

we aren’t going to do too badly anyway, but we will still improve the squad I think.

• 90 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

also….if we fail in the qualifying round we will only have 2 europa league games

• 91 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

west brom have signed this guy Yassine El Ghanassy on loan

he looks a good prospect only 22

• 92 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Hoilett =)

• 93 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

@786 once in a while
    @magpie79. Thatll get really old for whoever you’re sat with lol

• 94 Andymax // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Guthrie and Best played a part last season and now they’ve gone, and this season will be a lot tougher with Europe so we do need more senior players.

• 95 Marty-Toon // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ruddy
    The entertainers were great to watch but we had a shocking defence to be honest
    Albert was good but our full backs were shocking at defending
    If we had of had half decent full backs we woulda won the league but we didn’t know how to defend a lead

• 96 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

graham cwarr
    becuz those yes chants reminded me of something

• 97 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

@786 a certain guy who wears a lot of maroon?

• 98 joeytoon // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

why do we need an olympic diver ,for gods sake the daily mail??????
    the beano has more credibility
    but the word in blackburn is that its nailed on hes a newcastle player
    but weve heard it all before

• 99 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

indeed

• 100 Cool Hand Luke // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

haha Sazzer thats the first thing i thought of when his name was banded about as a possible toon signing. Imagine the atmosphere in the dressing room!

• 101 rich_toonfan // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

guthrie played a bit but didn’t excel, same as best…no reason players like vukic or abeid can step up and do that role

• 102 Marty-Toon // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Great player if we can get him

• 103 Zebras4Life // Jul 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Viana cost over 4 million
    Damien Duff cost over 4 million
    Luque cost over 4 million
    Xisco cost over 4 million
    Marcelino cost over 4 million
    Michael Owen cost well over 4 million

Let’s not automatically assume that because they cost over 4 million that they’re any good. I’d take a whole bunch of freebies if they would improve the squad

• 109 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Just watched the Tyne-Wear derby of ’05 on ESPN classic, the season the scum got relegated. Emre had one heck of a free-kick.

On the topic of free kicks who do you think has the best (Toon players) – Cabaye, Raylor or Robert?

• 110 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM

And to just finalise that point…

Cheick Tiote cost less than 4 million
    Tim Krul cost less than 4 million
    Demba Ba cost less than 4 million

You get my point ;)

• 111 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

786- do u watch wwe alot?

• 112 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

For a free-kick I would look no further than Laurent Robert, thought he was a lazy arrogant git but my word he could strike a free kick.

• 113 Nick 69 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Robert’s free kicks are head and shoulders above Raylor and Cabaye

• 114 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Magpies-till-d3ath
    sometimes but it was not as good as it was in the past…. you?????

• 115 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM

786- every week! The story lines are amazing!!!

• 116 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Cool Hand Luke
    Some apologies, some explaining, and some moving on,

• 117 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

@ruddy good call on Roberts free kicks even if he was a little sod lol

• 118 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Magpies-till-d3ath
    so…… who is your favourite wrestler???????

• 119 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

@mag til death. They really aren’t. I hope that’s sarcasm lol

• 120 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Was about to go to sleep, but I have to throw Solano and Shearer into the mix of free-kick takers, even though Al just smashed ‘em, he smashed ‘em like no other! Always remember the one against Man U, which was central and he smashed it with the outside of the boot, swerving away from the keeper it nearly ripped the net out and carried on going!

used to love Solano’s and Shearer’s little dummy routine too, that bagged us a few from the edge of the area.

• 121 keeganjr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

i’m from norway.. and this kara guy that plays for tromso, is a best. he’s a bigger version of tiote..

• 122 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

anyone check the links out at 105 and 106 i think tht lad has alot of potential

• 123 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

@nufc786 chael sonnen excellent wrestler. Good ground game. Made a mistake against Anderson silva though and it cost him

• 124 I I I // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I’d sign hoillet for euroes, cup games and home games where we have an opportunity to open up, grow him into the Newcastle play. We need a third/fourth striker for sure and I’d love Guidetti on loan to play cups and off the bench.

I’m still worried about our 1 nil down early on mentality and for me thats where Anita comes in and or Marveux steps up. I love Guti but deep down as much as I applaud his engine a calmer more intelligent better passer positional player could do half the work with better edge.

Defence NEEDS a Douglas & Debuchy, though would have been better if we could have attracted a Verhoegton.

With these types we’d be comfortable 4-5-1 and 4-3-3. Really looking forward to seeing Sammi the new boy Gael and even seeing a 17 year old Campbell tested during the Afcon.

This season no fear, more precise less going down and surrendering and as last season showed 3rd and 4th will be a long hard fight of consistency between 5 clubs with us and Liverpool outsiders but I sure we can better spurs. Pardew to lead!

• 125 Nick 69 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Raylor and Cabaye are decent set piece takers, but check out that video, don’t think ive ever seen another Toon player who could strike the ball as sweetly as Robert

• 126 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I want a vote. Hoilett yay or nay?

• 127 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

He was a total arse, perhaps the only reason he was kept on the field was in the off chance there was a free kick to be taken. He would contribute next to nothing otherwise, I mean on the other wing you had Solano like and that man would bust himself from first whistle to last, on the left wing you had that tw@t.

But that free kick against Liverpool from the side line nearly made me cream when I saw it fly in.

We had Dyer, Bowyer, Bellamy, Robert, Bramble, Emre all in the same side…god we had some @ssholes at the club!

• 128 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I’m sure none of you have forgot, but here’s the one I’m on about! WALLOP! http://youtu.be/Qr9C7UtuIxU

His 100th goal for us, as it happens.

• 129 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

graham cwarr
    ufc fan too i see……

• 130 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

@beardo to me the king of smashing a free kick bloody hard was Michael taarbat

• 131 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

@786 if in involves men in underwear Im in. obviously.

• 132 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

@ graham

Silva is the greatest of all time like

• 133 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

@cisse yeah definitely best if all time in ufc. You ever seen fedor?

• 134 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Oh and coutoure is a total legend too

• 135 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, he is past his best now like, was awesome in his prime. U watch 148 like ?

• 136 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Right, conversation has went downhill haha

I’ll talk to you lads tomorrow, night all :D

• 137 Nick 69 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Fedor isnt as good as people make out. He would have a lot more losses on his record than he currently does had he have had the balls to fight in the UFC against decent opposition, instead of fighting a LOT of sub standard fighters.

And Chuck Liddell is the best UFC fighter of all time IMO, for sheer entertainment and dominance during his title reign. He was awesome

• 138 Beardo Ameobi // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I’m turning in too. To think, tomorrow is the eve of our first game of a long season ahead! :D

Nighty night!

• 139 graham cwarr // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Sorry ruddy.
    @cisse i missed 148. Seen highlights
    Im off to kip now too

• 140 Beattie25 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Who is Kara?

• 141 nufc786 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

here beattie…

• 142 geordielad95 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Anyone remember when Laurent Robert, the cheeky sod that he was, tried to turn a throw-in into a corner by lobbing in off some guys back and it went out? He didn’t get the corner but it shows the type of guy he was lol. Hell of a player though.

Can’t remember for the life of me when it was though

• 143 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

@ Nick

Yeah the Iceman is my favourite fighter of all time like, his fights with Ortiz and Wanderlei were legendary

• 144 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

keeganjr
    Heard things about him, Ruben Yttergård, and Henriksen and guy a previous poster said Hedenstad or something. Kara suppose to be best one is that correct?

• 145 lukes26 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Doubt NUFC will outspend QPR for him. Maybe he’ll take a reduced salary to play in Europe, perhaps with some performance based bonuses.

Pardew’s problem is that he already has Marveaux and Jonas. Wouldnt necessarily need Hoilett until next year. Marveaux might actually be better once he’s a t full fitness.

• 146 Mings // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Im from norway. Andi dont think they are good enough for us :)

• 147 Nick 69 // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Big Pappa – aye he’ll always be the man for me, he brought UFC into the big time, his all out attacking style made the UFC what it is today and won a LOT of fans. His fight with Wanderlei was quality but, they were both slightly on the decline by the time they finally met, would have been even better if it had happened a few years before.

• 148 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Why are people obsessed with speculating over salaries? I blame it on Championship Manager…

• 149 Sazzer // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Found game with this Kara kid. Number nine. Haven’t watch any of it yet. Le Guen coach of Oman some trivia.

• 150 Big Pappa Cisse // Jul 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

@ Nick

There is a UFC fight night on ESPN tonight like if you can get that channell

• 151 Zebras4Life // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Ruddy.

• 152 Zebras4Life // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Ruddy. Care to list how much our best players cost? Tiote was a freak deal and was over £3.5. Furthermore, we need guys to fill in instantly. Not a year down the road. We have those guys. Nuff said.

• 153 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Right what our best players cost?

HBA cost 5.5 million
    Yohan Cabaye 4.5 million
    Marveaux (who will come good) cost nowt
    Obertan (will also come good) cost 3 million
    Simmo cost less than 1 million
    Willo cost 1 million
    Taylor was a youth player
    Colocinni cost 8 million
    Jonas cost 6 (I think)
    Cisse cost 9

It’s quality, not the price my friend. Just because they may be over 4 million don’t bank on them being good, as my list of bum deals who cost over 4 million was designed to prove.

• 154 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh and you’re wrong Tiote cost 3.5 million, check it.

• 155 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Skim through the video. He plays with orange shoes in same position as Willo. Doesn’t have much to do in this game so I will watch him against better players in Olympics instead.

• 156 Offkey // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Dont know if its been mentioned but here is Pardews radio interview where he says he wants 2-3 players in.

• 157 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

You’ll never win Ruddy. Some people just won’t be happy unless we sign a “big name player”…I’m thinking Kluivert, Owen, Marcelino, Boumsong, Luque. All internationals on huge salaries who were really good before joining us, but terrible once they did.

We need to fly under the radar and pick up players who are, or will be, good enough for the Champions League clubs. Ambitious players. If they want to join a CL club, we shouldn’t pay them £80k a week just do they join us, and if QPR or West Ham want to pay them £80k a week, we shouldn’t try to match them. When was the last time one of those clubs were in Europe?

Face it lads, the previous ownership left us with a bunch of overpaid uncommitted misfits, and a load of debt. Let’s have some patience.

• 158 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Ruddy, you missed out Krul and Ba…both free…

• 159 Zebras4Life // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Say what u want but we need a CB. RB. And attacking player who can finish and they need to contribute THIS year. Look at those figures. Tiote is the exception and he didnt contribute immediately. Look Ruddy we love the same team an I am all for good deals but I have been waiting like you for over a decade. Let’s bring in 3 guys over £3.5M in those positions and final bring home some f’n hardware. It’s time to spend a little more! I trust that our evaluation of players is better now than in the past for Pete’s sake look at our squad. I don’t think we need guys that cost £10M we just need a couple who can get after immediately!

• 160 Zebras4Life // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

And obviously FREE is the best way. I said sign Hoilett up didn’t I.

• 161 Zebras4Life // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Toondarn. While Im at it u think asking for 3 players over £4M is asking too much? Do you think that figure brings in the big name? Give me a break!

• 162 Kc-Toon // Jul 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Weve built a team around team spirit, Its not just a coincidence that all the lads brought in recently seem extremely humble. 1 shite attitude in the changing room could easily have a awful effect, especially if hes in the starting 11, Which is why id think very hard before theirs a offer put in for hoilett, Theres no doubt hes a brilliant player, id love to see him on the pitch, but if hes anything like people describe personality wise, Would he not do more harm than good?

• 163 ~Perchinho the Pheonix~ // Jul 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Its simple really. If it comes down to Newcastle and QPR he has two choices.

1. Lower Wages, Better football, better chance of finishing high. – Newcastle

2. Higher wages, Mediocre football, better chance of relegation, Joey Barton – QPR

Which one he chooses shows what Kind of person he is.

• 164 Kc-Toon // Jul 12, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Gamiero knocks in a few decent goals in psg’s pre season game. Hes going to waste in that team

• 165 ramajama // Jul 12, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Get Shola on that front page banner!

• 166 Ben3arfa // Jul 12, 2012 at 5:38 AM

If we sign Hoilett then that means we wont go after Anita, because Hoilett will play on the left and Jonas will most probably be turned into a central midfield player and therefore the need for Anita will not be there

• 167 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I’m not sure Hoilett signing automatically mean no Anita, but smaller chances.

News Luc Castaignos representative have gone to England today.

• 168 dmac // Jul 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM

According to Sky, pards has stated we will sign players in the next fortnight…… The wait continues haha

• 169 Ben3arfa // Jul 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

would be such a waste if Luc Castaignos went to west ham ..
    i hope we are more pro-active in our transfer dealings, seem to be moving at a snail’s speed and with no real conviction

• 170 Newcastleforlife // Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

• 171 Batfastard // Jul 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM

QPR will offer him 60 k a week it’s like wellbeck at manure he’s on 15 k but he now wants 60k

• 172 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Just listen to the radio interview and it cleared some stuff that was unclear on the TV interview. One player within 14 days and 1-2 more rest of the window. Simpson situation was uncertain while Ba is staying.

• 173 keeganjr // Jul 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sazzer: kara could adapt very quick in a bigger league.. Big,strong athletic guy. But he’s young. And this ruben yttergård Jensen guy is one of the few Guys i like in norwegian football.. He have breakthrough on the national team now ( witch is crap). But i think they all could do a dicent job.. Arsenal have whatched kara for a couple of years now.. And Sorry for my english and ipad…

previous post: De Jong – I Only Want To Play For Burussia Monchengladbach