Newcastle Make Official Offer For Andy Carroll

The big news being reported by Sky Sports News tonight is that Newcastle have made a move to get Andy Carroll back on Tyneside,  initially on a season long loan deal, with a view to a permanent move back to Newcastle, but it would need to be at a vastly decreased price, from the £35M Newcastle received from Liverpool just 18 months ago for the Gateshead-born striker.

Andy Carroll – when at Newcastle

The new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers  has already suggested early last week, that he may send Andy out on loan for a season, and with the signing of Italian  striker Fabio Borini,  it doesn’t seem like Carroll fits in with the new manager’s plans.

West Ham and AC Milan have also been linked with the 6’3″ inch striker, and Carroll himself is keen to remain at Anfield to prove himself, but he may not get that chance.

Sky Sports is reporting that Newcastle have gone in and  made a loan offer to get the player back to Tyneside for the coming season.

And with the break-down of the Luuk de Jong talks, this could be an alternative for the Magpies, and a fairly cheap one at that,  to get Andy Carroll back to Newcastle for the season, although how much that would cost Newcastle we don’t know, with Andy reportedly being on £75K/week wages.

Carroll’s career has stalled since he went to Liverpool, but the Merseyside club made no efforts under Kenny Dalglish to play to the striker’s strengths, and often when he would come into a game as a sub, one of the wingers who could provide the crosses for him would come out for him. Such was the level of Kenny Dalglish’s tactics at Liverpool.

Sky Sports News is reporting that the loan  is accompanied with an offer to buy him back at a specific price, should Newcastle want to take up that option at the end of the loan deal next May.

Manager Alan Pardew did his best to keep the big lad on Tyneside, and he is still a big believer in the youngster, who we think is as good as he ever was when he was starring on Tyneside, and in the year of 2010 scored 25 goals combined for Newcastle in the Championship and the Premier League.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this bid, but if it’s successful the four strikers next season for Newcastle could be Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi, and probably in that pecking order.

We think Newcastle would also be willing to pay what they were willing to pay for de Jong, in order to bring Andy Carroll permanently back to Newcastle, and that would be around £11M, and that would mean a £24M loss to Liverpool on the deal.

And you thought Mike Ashley wasn’t a good businessman? 😀

• Paps

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Deep joy

• geordiejamie89

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Ah, and so the moment is upon us. Just as I said it would be, and when I said it would be.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Brilliant news if Andy comes back.

I love a proper centre forward who can goals like Andy’s against Sweden.
    I think he’ll team up with Cisse and Ba so well.

We’d have so many options to change our style against different teams and in different game situations.

Love this if it happens.

HWTL

• ben10arfa

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Exciting time at nufc

• Toon_Fresh

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I don’t get it… why?

• geordiejamie89

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I hope we get him back. It would be a big two fingers to Liverpool, getting him back at fraction price. Cheers easy. Plus he has more passion when he’s playing for Newcastle, that’s obvious to see. He’s learned his lesson the hard way, but maybe he’s the added striker we need. To give a different option.

• shearluk

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

HE WONT COME HES A GREEDY BUGGER

• Toon1978

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Caroll only wants loan move

• Whoarya.com

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

30 million profit and a 50k a week pay cut for being hero worshiped?

I would but would you?

• thefantoon

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Don’t post too often but I thought this news worthy…. Think it would be good if it happened but unlikely…. Didn’t the club say last year no loan deals as they weren’t cost effective?

• hotdog

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

pbncl – I hear what your saying and yes the lad messed up giving up the 9 shirt but the circumstances were outrageous – 35mil and double/triple your wages. It sounds like alot of posters have never made a bad choice in their lives, give the lad a break and remember how good he was for us – unplayable in alot of games – you take players like that defo

• a long way from newbiggin

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Makes 3 centre forwards, could be a problem, could be necessary with injuries. Shola can be saved for the Sunderland matches

• pardew no 1

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

i wouldnt mined him back but he has to earn his respect back simple as that really cracking player tho when at the toon

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

@Whoarya.com

I don’t think he’d have to take such a huge pay cut.
    He’s an England international forward, he’d be very near to the top of our pay-scale.

• pbNcl

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Sky sports news are s*it stirring. Unless we come out and say it I don’t believe it. Sky sports news can suck my parky

• HarryHarrison

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Can’t see why we’re attempting to get AC back, personally I don’t see the point in having him back, he cannot possibly get picked ahead of Cisse up top, he can’t operate the way Ba was deployed a lot last season either. Quite worrying that we’re actually interested in him IMO would much rather try and persuade Chelsea into loaning us Sturridge. AC encourages the long ball game and we don’t want that, also neither of our wingers can cross unfortunately (Gutierrez or Obertan) :/

• Ben3arfa

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

FFS i really hated judas, seeing him back would be weird lol

• Sholadona

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

If it makes Liverpool unhappy, it makes me happy!

• geordiejamie89

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I think he’ll jump at the bit to come back on loan. And he’ll sign on the line to make it permanent once the boos have stopped.

• Harley

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I’ll be over the moon if this happens!!!!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I would rather sign Ebola Virus for CF than have Andy Carroll back.

• SuperShearer

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

AC would have to make a massive pay cut if he were to come back here permanently, he’s on close to 80k per week at Pool. Of course a loan deal can see Pool pay a % of that during the loan period. Seems like a win win for Newcastle but I can’t see what Pool get out of it other than cutting off their nose to spite their face. Surely it’s worth keeping him as a plan b no?

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

The only team I can come up with to fit Caroll into is

——————————-Krul——————————

–Debuchy——Taylor———-Collocini—-Santon–

——————-Cabaye————-Tiote——————

——HBA————————————Marveaux—–
    —————————–Cisse——————————

—————————–Caroll——————————-

But it would mean dropping Ba

• NUFC FOR SALE

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I think this is another smoke and mirrors strategy from newcastle.

We probably have someone else we want to bring in and we’re using the AC story to deflect interest.

I can’t see Caroll back in a Newcastle shirt next season. He’s not going to get the number 9, hes going to be booed by some sections of the fans and I think the 80k a week hes getting could disrupt the squad.

He was a great player for newcastle but he chose to leave, time to move on…..NEVER GO BACK!

• hotdog

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

harryharrison – good name btw 🙂
    What happens if Cisse gets injured?????
    Its what you need a squad for bud

• Peter

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

carroll would be great for us, last season we lacked goals in set pieces mostly corners bring this guy in the equation thats another 5-10 goals, but i see this is very unlikely to happen

• TorqToon

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Whilst I agree (to some extent!) about the return of AC, I do think he would add a very different aspect to our game. Yes Cissé and Ba would poss be our first choice starting pair, but having 4 strikers of Cissé, Ba, carroll and Ameobi would be emense! The natural left peg of AC WOULD work better on the left sided 3 man attack and would allow great rotation for league, euro and league cup games. His head was undoubtedly turned with the thought of big money and Liverpool and that, I’m sure he now see’s, was the biggest mistake of his career. However having him back on loan…with liverfool paying most / all of his wages is a heck of a coup. Then we would’ve agreed a good fee for us at the end as no way would we compromise our transfer strategy for anybody. Let’s not forget that Mr Graham Carr wouldve had a big say in this decision and wouldnt have backed this idea (if true of course) had he had any doubts about his character and ability – see link (shameless plug!!) 🙂

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

@HarryHarrison

We’re going to play close to 60 games this season.
    We could lose Ba and Cisse in January.

We need at least one more forward.
    I’m not going to say no to an England international.

It’s brilliant news if we can pull this off.
    Can’t see a downside.

HWTL

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

So at this moment in time, it seems like we’ll be signing Carroll, Debuchy and Anita. We will still need to sign:

2 centre-backs
    1 Midfielder
    1 striker (maybe the signing of Hoilett will save us going for another striker???)

• Valci

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Harley – aye so would i. I love me some good french players but having a geordie in the team would count for a lot… im just sentimental that way. Plus, when on form there are few defenders that can handle him.

• TorqToon

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

As far as I am concerned, 20yrs of scepticism has engrained on me. Until Pards himself comes out and says its true…I struggle to buy into anything.

• pbNcl

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Let’s not forget his off the field antics aswell. This is just the wrong sort of thing for us to be involved with.

He would have to turn into a saint and single handedly demolish barcelona to get my respect again. I’m not being called a fickle fan, its not me. He’d have to be here 3 years, clean living and a top professional attitude. He’d have to live with shola or somethin. Only then, and only then could I THINK about forgiving him.

I hope its a load of crap I really do

• tomnewcastle

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

good we need more depth up front we’ve got a long season ahead

• Tonytoon73

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

So who are we going to drop to play him and go back to play hoofball. Leave the f@cker where he is. He was quick enough to f@ck off wasn’t he.

• robtheguru

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I’m going to call conspiracy!

If this story is indeed true then I would not be suprised if it was Ashley’s plan all along.

Ashley: “Carroll we have had a ridiculous bid come in for you. We know you’ve been on fire this season but we need more money, so here’s the plan. We will sell you for the stupid money and use it to bring in some cheap, quality players. You go to Liverpool, play terrible and then at the end of next season we bring you back. Even we pay half the price it’ll be more than what we started with.”

I reckon.

• breno95

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

@ Kets
    Only need 1CB and why waste money on Hoilett when we already have a fit and ready to go Marveaux?

• Beardsleys Love Child

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Play the senegal soul brothers versus big boys…..carrol v stoke/fulham/etc and save shola for the unwashed. Bobs your uncle, fannys your auntie

• pizzicatochan

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

in a 443 environment, Carroll can set things up, with Ba trying to bang in goals and Cisse sneaking in poking in the leftovers. Benny as the AM, Cabaye connecting and Tiote taking down the evaders. Debuchy and Santon take on the wings as wingbacks… Colo and Saylor in the back… it’s only a good system, not a bad one.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

@pbNcl

Cool you give him three years then …

… of course you’ll have to remember not to celebrate any of his goals …

HWTL

• XtraTimeAndPens

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I think it could be a good deal. Loan with an option to buy seems like a smart move. Basically a try before you buy deal I suppose. The only concern that I have would be how compatible he is with our style of football. I wouldn’t want us to go back to purely thumping long balls forward. It would give us an interesting option though. In short, I’d quite like to see him come back. After all he’s still a 23 year old striker with a good future ahead of him. He showed some signs of good form at the end of last season and during the euros too.

Also, I’ve got a blog post on Colo if you want to have a read.