This Is The Secret To Alan Pardew’s Success At Newcastle

Alan Pardew has come out in the Sunday Sun today with some plain talking, and it again seems an attempt to educate the Newcastle fans on how the club plans to become a power-house once  again in the English Premier League.

Alan Pardew – thumbs up and positive

But as we all know, it will not be by throwing money around on big transfers, like in days of old, but rather building on a Youth System and bringing some top youngsters through to the first team.

And also by investing heavily in the Scouting system led by the very talented Chief Scout Graham Carr, and hope we can find some diamonds in the rough, as we have already done with top players like Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote, who cost Newcastle a measly £7.5M in total, over the last couple of years. Peanuts in Joey Barton’s language.

This is what Alan Pardew said today:

“What I would say is better and more experienced managers than me have said that you finish where you deserve to finish – and we deserved to finish fifth.”  “But that was last year. The important message I will get through to the players is that it ain’t winning the league.”

“There were still four teams ahead of them and if they want to be winners then they must do better than they did last year. I know our fans come into our home stadium and expect us to win whoever we play this year.”  “I have no problem with that. We have to handle that pressure and we had great home form last season.”

“But away from home, I think our fans are realistic enough to know that it is very difficult.”  “We need to pick up wins at Chelsea and draws at Manchester United to finish fifth. That’s where we really did well.

“So the fans are realistic. I think if we finish in the top eight then, really, our fans would be happy. But we can’t settle for that and, certainly, I won’t.”

And Newcastle have proved that it doesn’t take a massive investment of money to build a top squad, if you have a person like Graham Carr running the scouting system, and regularly checking on players most weekends during the season, it can pay off big time.

We wonder how much money Graham Carr has saved Newcastle, given the players he’s brought into the club,  since he joined in February of 2010?

And after all, Newcastle are probably the best example of a club who found it hard to be successful, even when they were willing to spend big money on big transfers, but the players often turned out to be mediocre – at best – something Liverpool have found out in the last  18 months.

Alan continued:

“Investment doesn’t always guarantee it will improve the team and we have seen that throughout the years.”  “The investment some clubs can throw at their squads is something we can’t match.”

“We have a different agenda to Chelsea. We can’t look at them and say ‘ah, they’ve got Eden Hazard now’ we can’t think like that.”  “What we must do is look at ourselves and say we have great players at Newcastle that Chelsea would be lucky to have in their team, which is something.”

“We have to try and improve in another way. Bring one through, maybe a Shane Ferguson or Sammy Ameobi, who gets one of our big hitters out and the reason they would get them out the team is because they are better.”

“Have I learned from my experiences? I would like to think that I’m a better manager than I was then because if you don’t grow as a person and a manager as you go through the trials and tribulations of this job then you’re in trouble.”

Alan Pardew has been very successful at Newcastle, there’s just no doubt about that, because it seems he has learned well from his past experiences in management, not all of which were successful or particularly  easy to go through.

But that’s always the best way to learn in life, and although at the time the negatives are sometimes so very hard to take (believe me I know), they turn out to be great learning steps for those who are willing to look at what happened, and then learn from the experience.

That’s what Alan Pardew seems to have done in his career, and why he became almost an instant success on Tyneside, after he arrived at the club 19 months ago, when very few supporters (with the emphasis on very), thought he’d be any good at all.

How wrong can you be?

We hope Alan continues his great success at Newcastle United for many years – and then he can become England manager. 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Being stuck on a desert island with bill Friday is too good for Ashley.

• pieceofpapiss

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Isn’t it about time we started to move past Ashley’s f*ck ups?

He’s got us in a pretty stable position, reduced the wages, got us into europe, sold AC for £35 million.

What he’s done in the past is horrendous especially re-naming St James, but the club as a whole is starting to reap the rewards.

• Lee Dodd

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I Have to Admit The Day Alan Pardew Came To Newcastle and Sat On His Own Without Del Boy Lambias and Mike Ashley I Did Feel Sorry For Him. He Took It on The Chin and Has Really Shone. We Could Not Have Found a Better Manager. The Fans Now Love Him Maybe Its Because He Got Bobby’s Right Hand Man To Come Home !!!!! This Season I Think With 3 More Quality Players Then We will Be Top 4 and dare I say It A League or FA Cup … I would Sat Quarter Finals of The Europa This Season and Champions League Next Season..

• Constanstine

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I really hope Pardew stays with us for a long term. There is something all NUFC fans have to understand. That we can’t just strike out any manager after a runs of bad result or season last how we did before. He is not a top manager but he is the true team speaker. We wouldn’t had such a great season if all the players weren’t so motivated and confident by his words.

• geordiesteve520

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

@number 2 not wanting to be a pedant, but sometimes the teacher in me gets unleashed – is there any reason why pretty much every single one of your words begins with a capital letter? Just struck me as odd that’s all.

• toonincheek

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

steve520 –
    It’s surprising how difficult it is to read text with each first letter capitalised.
    Almost as bad as txt.
    Have to confess – I just don’t read those posts any more.

• toonincheek

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I think Anita really would strengthen the midfield and give us many options –
    BUT –
    it would be at the expense of giving Mehdi and Bigi their chance.
    I think we should leave this one until the winter transfer window and see then how these younsters have done.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM

@toonincheek

i totally agree, whats the point spending5-8 million on another cdm, without even giving mehdi abeid and bigrimana a chance. i also think that we should give vuckic and ferguson a chance because theres no doubt that they have talent 😛

• AsprillaCartWheels

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

With last season’s success, there seems to be a higher expectation to improve on last season’s position. I would be satisfied if we could finish in the top 10, anything else would be a bonus. As realistics as it seem, somehow I believe that we will bomb in europe(due to lack of euro experience) & we will struggle to match last season highs(too many games, too many injuries). Sometimes I do questions pardew’s tactic & first xii picks against team that we should beat, then again he is the manager of the year.

• jimiley

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

The real test for Pardew is what he achieves this year. He seems to be getting the fans ready for disappointment. His ambition is to “keep the players we have.” That is a selling club with no ambition. The way to keep the players we have is to improve the squad ie buy quality, and show them we want to win things and improve. If you tell the players your main ambition is to merely to keep them, they will move on. How can NUFC not keep all their players who are under contract? The club only sells those players it WANTS to sell.

• HarryHarrison

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Can’t see why we’re attempting to get AC back, personally I don’t see the point in having him back, he cannot possibly get picked ahead of Cisse up top, he can’t operate the way Ba was deployed a lot last season either. Quite worrying that we’re actually interested in him IMO would much rather try and persuade Chelsea into loaning us Sturridge. AC encourages the long ball game and we don’t want that, also neither of our wingers can cross unfortunately (Gutierrez or Obertan) :/

• Korzic

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM

@11

Plan C/D/E when nothing is going right. Additionally, Marveaux looks like he could ping it off a Carroll head day in day out.