Brendan Rodgers – No Deal For Carroll – He’s Coming To Boston


The new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has poured cold water on any loan deal for his top striker, Andy Carroll, and he says if Carroll is to leave the club this summer, he’ll be moved out like any other player – on a permanent transfer.

Andy Carroll – joining Liverpool in Boston next Monday

It’s the first we’ve heard from the new Liverpool manager since Sky Sports broke the news on Sunday night that Newcastle were in for Carroll, and all the stories since then have said the Rodgers doesn’t see Carroll in his future plans for Liverpool.

This is what Brendan said in the Daily Telegraph today:

“The club invested £35M in the player and there has been a lot written and spoken over the last couple of weeks. For me, it’s simple. The player is still part of this group and the only way we would think about him going out is the same as any other player.”

“If there was an offer to take him on a permanent deal, we’d have to look at it, but that’s no different to any player. The thought of him going on loan for one year is ridiculous, really.”

“It is that part of the year where there is a game going on with agents and other people, but the reality is he will join us here in Boston next week. He is a talented player and we will review what happens from there.”

The news has been fairly clear that Liverpool only want a permanent deal for Andy this summer, and a loan deal is now out of the question.

Liverpool have had no luck with any of their loan players going out on loan, and in particular Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani is back to the club after spending last season at AC Milan, and he spent the season before that at Juventus, but neither club will pay the fee of £13M wanted by Liverpool for the 21 times capped Italian International.

Aqualini was signed in the summer of 2009 for around €20M (£16M) from Roma, on a five year deal and they just cannot offload him, and the case looks similar to that of Xisco at Newcastle, who was signed in the summer on a five year deal of 2008 for £5.7M and £50K/week wages, but Newcastle have been unable to get him off the wage bill.

But a loan deal is definitely out for Carroll, and now it seems Newcastle are willing to wait a while, because as the pre-seaosn progresses it wil become clear there is no place at Liverpool for the big Geordie striker, and hopefully that will help Newcastle get their man.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook (please):

=============================================



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

31 comments so far

  • hoppernufc

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

    Comment #1

    Douglas wouldn’t be coming untill the end of August, debuchy deal is looking less and less likely and Carroll will cost far to much both in transfer and wages, I think it’s time we ditch these and find some new targets before its too late

    0
  • ilovetoon8788

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM

    Comment #2

    Yea Debuschy might not be coming at all

    0
  • Toonaholic

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

    Comment #3

    Not the end of the world if we don’t sign him, I’m sure we have a list a mile long of strikers we cud sign, either this summer or in january, but like cisse, I’m not worried bout transfer like in the past, I’m just going to let the board sign who they think will be good for the team, and ill support them!

    0
  • cyprus

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

    Comment #4

    I am an Andy fan and definitely hold no grudges for his move, I’d do the same in the circumstances (and so would you). BUT, exchanging Ba plus cash is a ridiculous idea. For the doubters, check out the videos of the Ba goals. The Cisse arrival threw him off balance, but he’ll be back, once AP hopefully figures out how to FIRST look at what he has and then decide the shape.
    PS. What happened to Ba was a repeat of NUFC after the brilliant Asprilla came. We were miles ahead, yet after his arrival we lost the title! Another eg. Boro brought in that amazing little Brazilian (forget his name), touted (I say correctly) then as the best player in the world. Result? Boro regulated!

    0
  • cyprus

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM

    Comment #5

    Juninho

    0
  • nico

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM

    Comment #6

    Lets be honest, this deal was never ever on the cards. Now I here we have offered 3m for Douglas and they want 5m. We need to start actually negociating or all of our targets will end up not coming.

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

    Comment #7

    Ilovetoon isnt debuchy still on holiday just like all the players who were on international duty? Dont understand the big rush

    0
  • SuperShearer

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

    Comment #8

    Seems to be back tracking from Rogers, sure he said a few weeks ago they would think about loaning AC out. Desperate attempt to hike up his price no doubt. We’ll walk, he’ll sulk, Pool get dumped on again.

    0
  • ashwin say's

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

    Comment #9

    smokescreen……
    do i need to say more

    0
  • ashwin say's

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM

    Comment #10

    3 days remaining before pardew’s said fortnight period elapse..

    0
  • nico

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM

    Comment #11

    @ toondown souuth. We need to get our new players in ASAP. Need a bit time to bed in. I can understand Douglas not coming till he gets Dutch citizenship but hopefully Dubechy will come soon, give us time to get rid of Simo

    0
  • Jail for Ashley

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

    Comment #12

    The club obviously has some type of strategy in place its frustrating for us lot, just hope we don’t have to listen to Pards saying we couldn’t get so and so over the line but we have loads of talent in the building.

    0
  • hoppernufc

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

    Comment #13

    I would prefer the club to stop wasting time negotiating for Carroll and use it to get a few defenders in asap

    0
  • ashwin say's

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM

    Comment #14

    so let me put it in this way we are signing some(good)one within next three days!!!
    yippee!!

    0
  • barcodejoe

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

    Comment #15

    Leave Carroll, move on. There are a lot of TOP quality strikers out there for the same money! i hope we bring in Debuchy as he is world class, lets hope we get a few high profile players through the door soon. We can only trust AP and the Board to sort things out but iam sure there are irons in the fire no one knows about……..Bring on the Yids first game, cant wait..

    0
  • Gateshead-Mag

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

    Comment #16

    morning team,

    hopefully get some different story on here breaking the day cant stand another day of mass blog wrestling over big andy!!

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

    Comment #17

    As I said yesterday, maybe now we can lay this nonsense about Carroll to rest and get on with this transfer window.

    The three stooges at NUFC need to get a move on 🙂

    0
  • hoppernufc

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

    Comment #18

    Debuchy isn’t going anywhere untill Lille find a replacement seems to me like there taking the p!ss, plus we don’t need him cos santon will be playing right back next season , we need to sign a left back . And does anyone know what happened to good was claimed bout three weeks ago we signed him but there’s been nowt since?

    0
  • bills-son

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

    Comment #19

    JFA’s tag nut filled knickers are getting in a twist again.

    Most of the summer transfer business is dome late in the window so we just have to be patient.

    Ashley splashing the cash early and giving twisted tag nuts nothing to moan about would be too good for JFA.

    0
  • jesperfuglsang

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

    Comment #20

    About Douglas and all this about him wanting Dutch citizenship. This is what I could find out, but correct me if I am wrong. For Douglas to quilify for Dutch citizenship he was to reside in Holland until August somethinf late, but doesn’t mean he cannot work in England. As long as he reside in Holland he will quilify for a citizenship.

    If I am right, then what is holding up the transfer; maybe the fact we haven’t bid for him? Any thoughts?

    0
  • Jail for Ashley

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

    Comment #21

    Morning Bills-son,
    I will admit to getting a bit frustrated at the lack of activity,would you rather,like last season wait until five games into the season before bringing in a defender who clearly wasnt ready for the Premiership.

    0
  • Bearsize

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM

    Comment #22

    We don’t need carroll, he is not as talented as the dembas, we can get much better for half the price. Like some people have mentioned it has to be a smoke screen or publicity stunt. Some people letting sentiment clould their judgement

    0
  • OoAhDembaBa

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

    Comment #23

    What about a loan move for berbatov?

    0
  • Valci

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

    Comment #24

    Like i was saying in the other thread… this seems to be a PR stunt by L’pool. Rodgers has obviously been “slapped” for his stance regarding AC. He also said:

    “There has been a lot written and spoken about him but first and foremost Andy is a Liverpool player,” Rodgers said.

    “To consider a loan period for someone the club spent £35million on isn’t something we’re looking to do at this moment in time.

    “Andy will be the same as every other player – if there’s ever an offer that comes in we’d look at it as a club and see if it’s going to be worthwhile for the club and the team as a whole.

    “The club invested £35million in him. People talk about whether he can fit into my style or not, but if you’re a club and you spend £35million on a player you’d like to think he can fit into whatever style the team plays.

    “He’s a good player. He’ll join the rest of the group next week and we’ll take it from there.”

    Notice how the 35mil pricetag is mentioned repeatedly. It’s an obvious attempt by L’pool PR & marketing to try and justify the asking price (reportedly 20mil) and bring higher bids in. Rodgers has made it clear that AC is for sale though.

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    Jul 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #25

    Cyprus

    yes boro should be regulated!!!

    I’m now sick to death of hearing about debuchy, douglas and carroll.

    1) Debuchy is virtually 27, great attacking, not so good defending but yes a great upgrade on Simpson. But it’s taking too long though and I think Corchia could be a better long term bet. Alternatively promote Tavernier.

    2) Douglas just seems to have so many complications. Move on to Sakho

    3) Carroll – a very expensive plan B. Move on to Gameiro at a bargain 6M down from 12M and would fit perfectly in to a front 3 on the left. he’s been Carr’s number 1 target for ages.

    Ah who knows what’s happening and if we don’t, maybe that’s a very good thing, as the press are then reduced to inventing stuff.

    0
  • GFH

    Jul 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

    Comment #26

    Rodgers “indignation” is misplaced , as it was him who mooted the idea of a loan deal for AC when the story first broke . Perhaps he thought only Milan were interested or perhaps it has been pointed out to him how it would look for Carroll to come to us and do well.

    0
  • Bloody Marveauxlous

    Jul 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

    Comment #27

    BREAKING NEWS: The Newcastle home kit will go on sale on August 9th, whilst the 3rd kit will role out on the 30th. The 3rd kit features a like green version of the away kit!

    0
  • HullMag6

    Jul 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

    Comment #28

    Brendan got a slap for opening the door to us taking AC back creating a serious loss of face for the bindippers.

    As long as it shows profit id take him back whatever because i dont think he’d go anywhere once back, he is only 23 an england international and always improving.

    The internationals should be back at their clubs frim next week, so moves should start Monday.

    0
  • bills-son

    Jul 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

    Comment #29

    And a top of the morning to you JFA.

    Ther only way we’ll bring in players in double quick time is to pay whatever clubs ask and that is never going to happen – and rightly so – with Ashley.

    We’ll just have to wait for the bluff and double bluff games to play out.

    0
  • Lee Dodd

    Jul 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

    Comment #30

    Same Old Same old – The Club are Looking at X Amount of Money We put a Daft Bid in and Don’t Get Them and we wonder Why !!!!! Sick to Bloody Death of it … If we want carroll he cas to Be A Newcastle Player before next Monday as Its Just Not Worth The Greif … Were are all These Top Players Graham Carr Has Lined Up Then ???

    0
  • RobertLeeNo.7

    Jul 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

    Comment #31

    I hope the AC thing is a smoke screen we shouldn’t waste our time on a player that misses way to many chances for that price. Unless he comes back for 10M forget it.
    There are better strikers out there for less money.

    Also they need toy focus on this defence and up the game in negotiations or we lose out on all our targets.
    Like everything in life prices inflate… they should know this and do the deals if its a 1M more so be it.
    I think DL has got a bit to cock sure IMO and his arrogance could d-rail our season.

    Debuchy is a no brainer for the system we play he is perfect do what it takes to get him in.
    Any player that won’t just strengthen the squad but will take it on to the next level (not AC) we should do what it takes within reason not pussy foot around.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.