Utter Confusion Surrounds Newcastle’s Dutch Target

There was news from Sky Sports yesterday that Newcastle United target Vurnon Anita has told his club Ajax that he wants to leave the club.

Conflicting reports on this player – Vernon Anita

And if you are to believe the reports over the last couple of months, Newcastle have already bid £5M for the Dutch International, but the club want £8M.

There’s no doubt that Anita is keen to make the move to Tyneside and the reports over the last couple of weeks is that he’s hoping that Newcastle will come back in with a better offer.

But then Ajax Director of Football Marc Overmars yesterday dismissed reports that Newcastle had already bid for the 23 year-old holding midfielder, as he told told Voetbal International:

“If Frank de Boer wants to keep him, Vurnon should just stay at Ajax.”   “His contract has two more years left on it and we are very pleased with him. In the two weeks I have been in this role with Ajax I have heard nothing from Newcastle.”

Now to be fair, that could mean that Newcastle have not bid in the last couple of weeks, but had a previous offer turned down – maybe.

It does seem that the news is true that Anita has already held discussions with Marc Overmars, and he told the former Arsenal and Barcelona winger that he wants to join the Premier League.

But just in case you believe that Anita has handed in a transfer request here’s what his agent Harry Lulofs said yesterday in Ajax Life:

“We have spoken with Frank de Boer and want to have a meeting with Overmars, as he has control over it.”   “But there was no meeting yesterday. Hopefully it is just a matter of weeks.”

Anita’s contract with Ajax expires in 2014 so here’s a simple question:

What’s the status of the Anita deal?

My head is spinning and it’s not the whisky.

We have no idea what the status is, and yes, there have been reports that Sunderland were also interested in the midfielder, but whether that’s true we also have no idea.

That news was from Harry Lulofs, his agent, who said on 13th July that

“Clubs like Aston Villa, Norwich City, Sunderland and Newcastle United have asked about the status of the player.”

“This is quite normal because Vurnon Anita was one of the best players in the Ajax team in the last two years and will be one of the new Dutch internationals.”

“But only Newcastle United have made a written offer to Ajax, who didn’t want to let the player go for that money.”

The agent mau not have been accurate in saying that Newcastle had made a written offer for Anita, so we wonder is he’s any more accurate saying that Sunderland are interested.

And don’t forget the agent’s job is simply to drum up interest in his client, so he can get him sold – and make some money.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook (please):

=============================================

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think this lad will be a top international, get him signed.

HWTL

• WWYCD

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

We asked about Anita more than two weeks ago and haven’t been back for him Overmars wouldn’t of heard anything

• XtraTimeAndPens

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I really think it might be a case of the agent trying to orchestrate a move for his player. There are so many reports going around
    about him and yet no one seems to know what’s going on. I’ve never seen him play so can’t really comment on him. Has anyone seen him? Obviously he’s a Dutch international so must be alright. Personally hope we concentrate on getting Debuchy and a centre back though.

Also just wanted to say that I’ve got a new blog post up. You can read it over at:

Cheers!

• Klatoon

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

he’s the dutch Raylor,not exceptional in any 1 position but gets the job done in several.

• hotdog

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I cant wait for this transfer window to close. It does my head in :-/

• Beattie25

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Left kick

Right kick

Left punch

Right punch

Hips to the left

Hips to the right

And move your butt all the way around

Yes that’s good!!

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

How many defenders are we buying? Have we got our transfer priorities wrong? I think we need to buy two CB not one and should get that done before buying any striker

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He fits the Pardiola mould of being adaptable and a top performer in his chosen position.

Who are AC Milan signing to replac Ibra ? There’s a guy with the right initials, plays similar style on the bindippers bench.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Beattie

Get a life 🙂

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

What comes first the end of the window or the end of the school holidays?

#sickofallthenumpties #zumba #ffs

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Klatoon

Wrong…. Anita is a superb DCM

• Tommyy

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Klatoon, when they slotted him into defensive midfield last season, they didn’t drop a single point in 14 games. He previously played left back to fill in for injuries but was inconsistent.

I don’t think we’d be getting him for left back though judging by Ajax match reports and some articles, he’s definitely a natural midfielder.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Can anyone here tell me if XTRATIMEANDPENS has a new post on his blog? I cant see any clues here, and its not as if he’s posted on every article telling us….

• Valci

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

• mattyNUFC

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

klatoon

so wrong. raylor doesn’t have a thing on Anita. all-round play, anita>tiote

• hotdog

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

beattie – Sorry mate i gave up at the warm up – just too much 🙂

• mattyNUFC

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

tackling and marking of course tiote comes out on top, but as far as a deep lying playmaker…anita takes the cake

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Sell Tiote and buy Anita and Carroll. (He’s going to go at some point).

• Tommyy

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We need Tiote for his brutish style, he adds much needed bite to our midfield.

• hotdog

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Im a bit worried for Tiote in the Uefa Cup. He pickes up alot of bookings in the prem and euro refs will be even stricter!!

• magpie6699

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Beattie – sorry, I just stood still and moved my bowels to the music – I’m clearing up now.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Matty

Aye.
    And the answer to your mid 3 is Tiote/Anita/Cabaye

• Graeme

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Not so much confusion – I think its much more likely that the Management know exactly who we are trying to sign but the press and the fans just have no idea.

As a result of that, as usual, we are being linked to everyone with a pulse, under the age of 27. All we can do is keep the faith, see how it pans out.

There are bound to be a few surprises before the window closes, that’s for sure lol.

• Lynxie

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I couldnt give a monkeys if we get anita or not. Have we forgotten how much Perchino came on leaps and bounds last season. Another improvement and that lad will be playing for England (ahead of Danny ‘ I think I have joined a club to showcase exactly why I should be playing for England’ Guthrie). excellent defensive midfielder in the making, / right back with steel / grit and tackles his body weight. beginning to like the look of him a lot. Central defender is what we need…..

• Lynxie

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Beattie, I think I have pulled something………..

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

@Lynxie

I like Perch’s attitude and tackling, I’m not convinced he’s as good as you think he is.

But I hope I’m wrong.

• dutchmagpie

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My farther-in-law is a massive Ajax fan and said he will be gutted to see this lad leave ; so i think he must be half decent ,, HWTL

• Nufc-Dom

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Nobody think that Robert Lewandowski could be a suprise buy in the striker department? Maybe a little out of our reach but has already stated he wants to come to the prem

• Nufc-Dom

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

• TorqToon

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Everybody is talking about debuchy being our most important signing of the window…but I believe Anita will eclipse that!!

He is an absolute machine, bet position is CDM and he is a carbon copy of Tiote but…dare I say it…slightly more composed on the ball and controlled in the tackle!! That’s big words I know. It I’ve seen him play a lot last year both on tv and at eredivise games. Anywhere between £5-7mil would be accepted I believe as he is unsettled and wants to leave…however I believe his TRUE valuation will sky rocket after 12 months playing at the toon – a la Cabaye, Tiote, HBA.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Lynxie

Perchinho has come on great and will be international quality if he keeps improving but we still need the cover. Three top DMs would give us loads of options as Tiote will get injured/suspended and Perchinho is a utility player…not CB though.
    Agree CB is a top priority though. Douglas will do Sakho wud be amazin.

Have to build from the back and Anita/Tiote/Cabaye does that.

• TorqToon

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

• Lynxie

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

hatem @26:
    I hear where you are coming from, Perchino is not yet top class, but the lad has the heart of a lion, he will do for me in a black and white shirt, thats all I ask. After watching tosspots like Marcelino, Duff, Owen, Martins, Luque, Viana etc. just take the money and not give a hoot, it is a pleasant change to see 11 men fighting over every ball. I think a team full of players with that never say die attitude is not a million miles away from a team that can achieve good things.
    I am very excited about this season, we have let some of the dead wood leave, and squad improvement may be slow but it is positive and promising. Pardiola can obviously see the certain areas where we need strengthening and is going about it efficiently. In Pardiola / Carr we trust. HWTL!

• TorqToon

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

MFH – completely agree lad!
    I can just see a string backline (especially should we sign Doug or sakho) with santoon and debuchy bombing down the flanks! This will be balanced with 2 x CDM (Tiote & Anita), a creative midfield 3 of Cabaye, HBA + 1 other (?? Hoillet) and that way could play both ba and Cissé together as a top 2 or a 1-1 formation with Ba just behind Cissé!!!

Yes the signings arent in…yet…but I trust in the management and board to get things wrapped up and get the players we need in.

• hattambenarfa

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

torqtoon that would involve 12 players.if indeed we are after douglas anita debuchy this is the kind of thing i think we would be looking at

Krul
    Debuchy Douglas Colo Santon
    Anita Tiote
    Ben Arfa Cabaye Marveaux
    Cisse

Allows Ba for europe or as impact sub, and guttie to cover anywhere

• XtraTimeAndPens

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

@markaccus sorry! My bad!

• TorqToon

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Hattambenarfa – My bad sorry mate! Been a long old night shift and got myself carried away! Haha

Yeah althought technically that would deploy a ‘loan front man’ with that attacking 3 of cabs, Marv and HBA it would allow enough support from Cissé, ba, slayer, (Carroll??!) whoever ! 🙂

• Beardo Ameobi

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Well………

• Beardo Ameobi

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I think we’ve finally ground to a halt.

• Phil K

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Can’t blame Ajax for wanting their pound of flesh, but Newcastle won’t pay over the odds