Who Should Be Back-Up Goalkeeper To Krul Next Season – Poll

After seeing both Newcastle goalkeepers Rob Elliot and Steve Harper play full games in the first two pre-season games, it’s probably a good time to ask who you think should be the Newcastle number two goalkeeper to Tim Krul this coming season.

Tim Krul – he’s number one – but who’s number two?

Who Should Back Up Tim Krul Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mark29Hungary

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

• Cissefire12

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Havn’t seen a lot of Elliott but I still believe Harps is good enough as a backup keeper and probably just pips Elliott to the posts

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

When I’ve seen Elliott (twice) he’s made mistakes.

Harper looked slow and didn’t get down to block shots very nimbly .. I think he’s just gone passed his prime.

New keeper – ideally. If not Elliott, sorry Harps but you’ve lost your “spring” mate.

• redondo77

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I was never comfortable watching Harper played, too much mistakes and very slow reflex.

• redondo77

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Harper should be GK coach

• NUFCWill1986

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Rob Elliott sugning has been the most puzzling under our new transfer policy i think

• Made a ma beed

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Neither, we need to sign a keeper to put pressure/fill in for the excellent Tim. Harper and Elliott won’t do that!

• XtraTimeAndPens

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

If settle for Elliot I think. Agree that Harper didn’t look very nimble in his game the other day. He did make an incredible save with his face though if that counts for anything. Don’t think either of them are in the same league as Krul though.

Also, just wanted to add that I’ve got a nee blog post up here:

Cheers!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

@NUFCWill1986

We needed someone happy to warm the bench.
    Pardew knew him from Charlton.
    For the price I guess he ticked all the boxes.

• sirtoongospel

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Harper for me. Elliot doesn’t look anywhere near Prem class.

• redondo77

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

most of us including me hasn’t seen much of Elliot in competitive games, I’ve seen Harper. I can’t judge how well Elliot play until I have seen him play competitive games, but I will choose Elliot over Harper.

• geordie157

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

How good is Alnwick?
    Take psg’s areola on loan for the season is my suggestion

• redondo77

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Elliot couldn’t be that bad if Carr said ok.

• Toonfan_Ew Ew

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I’m glad this poll’s been put up. I chose Harps. Elliot hasn’t played much but I still have my doubts. I’d feel safer having Harper between the sticks and he deserves it anyway, he played really well against Monaco the other day. And @12 Alnwick’s destined for big things apparently. Just turned 19 but won the Wor Jackie award last year.

• Graeme

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Cant we have someone better than both of them?? Please??

• breno95

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Neither is the answer to this one posed by Ed IMO. An experienced keeper is required to push TK next season or complacency may set in if TK has no real challenge for the No. 1 spot. Apparently julio cesar has been offered to clubs. He is a very good keeper with lots of experience and would also help TK improve.

• wynsleap

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Gone for Harper over Elliott but would rather see another decent keeper come in as first team cover.
    Don’t think either of them are good enough to understudy Tim.
    As for Harps being GK coach – isn’t that Woodman’s job?
    (And we don’t want to lose him as isn’t his son a keeper on our books who is extremely talented.?)

• NUFCWill1986

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

@hatem’s better – that makes sense, never thought bout it like that.

• josh

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Steve Harper all day long. Loyal a player ad you can get and when not first team has stepped up time and time again. Could not make out why Elliot was on the bench in front last season. He’s not ready yet. Besides I think Harper still has it. Watched the game the other night and I don’t see how he’s lost his spring.

• lordjoesnow

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

lol loyal geordies wouldn’t pick an unheard of goalkeeper over Stevie Harps! Also considering Harper’s clean sheet over monaco against Elliot conceding to an unheard of German team