The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Meet With Douglas’ Brazilian Agents Next Week

10:34 am, Friday, July 20th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

There’s a little bit more news coming from Lee Ryder in the Evening Chronicle this morning, relating to the case of  Douglas of FC Twente, and the news is that his representatives will be flying over from Brazil to meet with Newcastle and other clubs soon, with the other clubs thought to be West Ham United and Fulham – who are also interested in the center-back.

Douglas - Magpies to meet with his agents – possibly next week

There was some confusion caused yesterday, when the player said he knew nothing of any Newcastle bid, and that he could stay at Twente for  next season to see out his contract, and then become a free agent next summer.

And sources in Holland are saying that Douglas’ representatives will leave Brazil sometime in the next week, to discuss his future with Newcastle and the two London clubs  interested in the player.

And apparently Douglas did visit Tyneside earlier this year, to visit the city and check out St James’ Park with his representatives, and the news is that he was happy at what he saw on Tyneside.

But we were also told that about Luuk de Jong, who was supposed to be in complete awe of St. James Park – and what happened – he joined Burussia Monchengladbach earlier this week.

So take that report of  being happy with his Newcastle visit, with a large pinch of salt.

A source close to Douglas had this to say today to the Evening Chronicle today:

“Newcastle is a very good club and I am sure it could be a very good step up for Douglas.” “But there has been no contact for the player yet.”

“A transfer has been discussed by the club though and his representatives will be flying over from Brazil to talk soon.” “There’s a possibility he could stay.”

“Then he could leave on a free transfer at the end of his current deal.”

It would appear that Douglas is looking for a really good package at Newcastle for his personal terms, and we suppose if he doesn’t get them he could try his luck with Fulham and West Ham, who may be willing to pay him more than the Magpies are.

But if Douglas is coming to Newcastle for a big pay packet, he may just be disappointed,  and he may not be the right kind of player for the club to bring to Tyneside.

We shall see and maybe fairly soon, although he needs to be resident in Holland until the end of August, so any deal will be struck then, although it can be sorted out in the next week or so.

If he elects to stay at Twente, then Newcastle can negotiate with him in January, and either take him on a free transfer next summer, or sign him up for a nominal fee in January, which FC Twente would want, so they get something for him.

His talk about maybe staying at Twente for next season, could also be a ploy to get the best possible personal terms this summer – that’s probably what it is.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook (please):

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I am not sure how good this guy is but if indeed we want him and cant outbid west ham and Fulham to hell with it….

• 2 ashwin say's // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM

————cabaye————-marvo
    ———–
    –benny———————————-
    affeley–
    ———————–cisse/ba
    ———————-
    as affeley has been told by vilonova
    he would only have peripheral role in
    his plan
    so affeley is set to move for about
    £6m .
    kjear and mandukic are eager to
    move from their club.
    If we buy all four then we will be
    genuine contender for top 4 and few
    trophies .
    also Valclar pillar is stalling move with
    wolfberg..

• 3 Valci // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Cant keep up with Ed myself so…REPOST:

Jesper – right you are buddy. Fact is that as long as you have mobility the team can play. Because i hear a lot about 4-3-3 with Cabs more advanced…but then thats not 4-3-3 anymore…it’s either 4-2-3-1 if you push Cabs and the central striker forward or 4-2-1-3 if the whole font line is pushed forward. Either way, you cant have Cabaye and the CF stepping on each others toes…you gotta make room somehow. Like i said…in the end its how flexible your system is.

• 4 Hatem's better than Messi // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Thought you couldn’t speak to players or their agents until a bid has been accepted?

• 5 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Looks like Man U will make a move for Aly Cissokho.

• 6 TorqToon // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I think I’m losing the will to blog!!!! I can only take so much debuchy/Anita/Douglas/AC talk!! I can only take so many phantom team selections including players we don’t even have yet!!

I may go into hibernation until the window closes and when I wake…see where we stand there!

• 7 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Lens set for Southampton!! Ffs why didn’t we go for him. £3.5m!!!!!!!! But yet we’re looking to sign a donkey who couldn’t get the better of Mike Williamson.

• 8 Valci // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Kets – any idea on the price range on him?

• 9 Valci // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Magpies-till-death: And we should trust you opinion above those of Pardew or Shearer who say that the so called donkey is a good player? … remind me when you won manager of the season again?!?!

• 10 Mark29Hungary // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Douglas said first he wants to play bigger clubs than Newcastle. Yesterday he said, he wants to stay…

Move on and find another CB…

what about this shirt?

I think it’s better than this pre-season home shirt.

• 11 Antti // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’m afraid this guy could be another Boumson- type of player..

• 12 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Valci- and could you please remind me of what you and loads of other people say ed when he left? And now because he might come back, you’re going to suck up to him again. If he doesn’t come back you’ll say that you’re glad he didn’t come back and other crap like that.

• 13 Made a ma beed // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

His agents are beefing us up so we make a bigger offer, he won’t come as we will not play ball. If he is only after the money he can flick right off!

• 14 Markaccus // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Regarding Debuchy. Its DEBUCHY. That’s D.E.B.U.C.H.Y. If people can’t spell it right, or even get close, he’ll never come lol. Its not deboucy, debuchery, debunchy, or dedouchebag. All of which I’ve seen on here (ok maybe not the last one) :D

• 15 Valci // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Magpies – check your facts buddy. I always said he was young and people make mistakes. I also always said that i like tall powerful forwards and being only 23 he has time to improve on his game (but unlike others i dont see him as a one trick pony). I said he would peak at 25-26years of age if managed properly and i always said i’d love him back in a toon shirt. Your argument might work with other but not me…like i said…check your facts.

• 16 davybtoon // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Lens for 3.5m wtf get on it

• 17 check the toastie // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Douglas going to sign, never heard that one before. This seems on e big massive waste of time. Go out and just get somebody who is available, Grant Hanley wud be gud back up at CB.

• 18 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I’m starting to think that the reason players have left us in recent years is due to the uncertainty in the transfer market.

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Magpies…To be fair, what was said when he left really has little to do with what talent he does or does not have. We were all furious when he left, as he was at the time an important player…obviously not a donkey.

Now I can accept to a certain degree that we have changed as a club and he may not be as suited to us now as he was then, I however, believe he could adjust and offer us somthing we don’t currently have (and no, I don’t mean livestock).

If he was terrible and we had got £35m, Andy Carroll would be a geordie hero, simple as. The truth is we were gutted to lose a local lad with a bright future. The details behind him leaving will never be clear to us, so if we can get him back for a fraction of the cost, what’s the problem?

Perhaps we could sign someone else for less money, possibly around the same or higher standard. Maybe i’m being a sentimental prat for liking the idea of a Geordie coming back to the toon. Maybe it’s all just a load of tosh to either drive up his price or create a smokescreen for other deals. I can handle all of that, but let’s not get carried away and just abuse the lad for no reason. If he comes back, he will have something to offer. If he doesn’t, I wont lose any sleep.

• 20 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Valci- So you’re trying to tell me that out of around 90% who hated him for leaving, you were one of the who said “it was a good move for him”. He sucked you off didn’t he.

• 21 jesperfuglsang // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Remember Douglas has plenty of agents – ad least that’s what I have been told – maybe they don’t know you can’t talked to a player before the clubs have agreed a price ;)

Or maybe it’s all spin as usually.

Don’t really care, cause I don’t think we will be signing the lad. When ever I read something about him or sees an interview (reads) with him he always come of wrong…he rubs me the wrong way.

…don’t know how to explain it; maybe it’s just me, but I hope we have another target in mind.

• 22 Valci // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Magpies – what are you 13?! I was gutted when he left but im in the camp that believes the whole move wasnt by his choice. Remember the whole “forced out” story?…well im leaning towards believing that not least of all because this whole move for him now (at cut price) seems a lot like MA trying to make amends for cashing in on him back then.

• 23 jesperfuglsang // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Donkey???

Who’s a donkey?

…now in my youth the only donkey at NUFC was Ameobi – now don’t start a riot :) that was what we called him back then.

I don’t think it was meant as an insult, but more of the way he looked on the ball and because of hight and build ;) …a donkey.

But who is a donkey now, cause the last time I checked Ameobi was still here ;) hehe

Declaimer: It’s all just good fun for those of you who always look to start an argument!

• 24 lesh // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Am I missing something here? Surely agents come into play when the buying club has agreed a fee with the seller? If that’s the case, then we must have agreed a fee with Twente…… or have we!

This window is beginning to look shambolic especially when we were supposed to have done our homework and knew our targets!

It strikes me that the press are reporting that we’re on thy point of buying this one, that one and what emerges? SFA!

Has anybody at the club got their finger on the pulse?

• 25 LooneyToon41 // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@24 Lesh. It’s wierd isn’t it. You would have thought that agents couldn’t speak to new clubs unless a fee had been agreed with the selling club… but in reality. The reality is that agents are always speaking to all clubs. Think ‘Arry talking about Demba’s release clause (how did he know that i wonder??), but it can work both ways. Carr new about Cabaye’s release clause, and discussed Cabaye’s willingness to join NUFC well before we made an offer to Lille. Also Enrique to Liverpool? He knew months in advance what Liverpool were going to pay him, well before an actual offer was made to NUFC. It’s just the way of the world.

• 26 lesh // Jul 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM

You’re perfectly right LooneyToon41, but remember Cabaye and others with him came in early in the window but the point I’m making is that we say we have plans and implicitly just need to press the ‘go’ button and nothing’s happened.

Reported bids which come to nothing either because they weren’t made or because they’re ridiculously low and are kicked out without hesitation.

I can only hope that all these reports are nothing more than an elaborate smokescreen concealing our real targets arrive as thiugh pulled from the hat and they turn out to be real gems, players we’d never have dreamt of.

Dream on

• 27 JP...from The Rock // Jul 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Magpie – Ooooooh you’ve mentioned the word Donkey and some here get a bit too sensitive to accept that description. I only said that a couple days ago and I was being harassed on here. I did explain myself poorly but I did have a point and you clearly see what I was getting at with your post. Some fans on here a big time hypocrites, when he left most were after a while overjoyed and now they all want him back? Personally I think there are much better players out there for that money and Carr can find more gems that can do the job. I also feel that even though Carroll would give us something different it’s still similar in style to Cisse, Ameobi and Ba. I think a faster mobile striker would be perfect but what do I know ey? At the end of the day he’s a good young player that will only get better and if he really wants to come back and we can get him for a decent price 10M or less then I wouldn’t mind seeing him back in the famous Black n White stripes.

• 28 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

He’s probably available at around £6.5m.

• 29 Double Demba // Jul 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Douglas seems a bit confused. But thats par for the course with centre halfs,

If he’s playing hard to get we should turn our attenions to Issac Vorsah, bags of potenial and has played with Demba in the past.

Colo, Saylor, Vorsah…… centre halfs for the season, sell williamson and have Curtis Good for back up.

• 30 HullMag6 // Jul 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Move on, nothing to see here..

• 31 HullMag6 // Jul 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Move on, nothing to see here.

if he played for twente in Europa already he’s cup tied. move on useless to us.

• 32 Lynxie // Jul 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Just what IS going on in this transfer window? We have let slip young Clyne to Southampton. It looks like Lens is also going there…. Victor Moses looks set for Chelsea…..
    Luuk De Jong has joined Borrusiamonchengladbach (I have that tattooed on my knob).
    And now it appears that Paul Scharner may be slipping from our grasp. I dont believe it!

previous post: Big Boys Return Monday – Pardew Hopeful Of New Signings