It seems that Inter Milan still have a strong interest in Newcastle target Mathieu Debuchy, but of course it’s always hard to know which pieces reported in the press are true and which aren’t – especially in the summer transfer window.
Mathieu Debuchy – meets with Rudi Garcia today on his future
It seems that Inter are in the process of unloading 30 year-old Brazilian International Maicon, who has been at the club since 2006, and if he does eventually leave, then it could well be the Italian giants will move for Debuchy.
There are reports in the Italian media – on the Inter Milan web-site Interlive to be exact – and there are some opinons being offered that Mathieu wants to join Inter.
But what would you expect them to say – that he doesn’t want to join Inter Milan and prefers Newcastle United instead?
That’s just not the way human nature works, so we would take these reports with a pinch of salt.
The journalist being quoted is Alexander Grandesso who says he thinks Debuchy wants a move to Inter – but says nothing to back up that claim – so it seems to us it’s his opinion – which everybody is entitled to of course.
But remember that opinions are different from facts – and yes I know that’s hard to grasp sometimes. 😀
This is what Grandesso said on the Interlive web-site, with adequate translation from Google and ourselves:
“The arrival of Debuchy is related to departure or not of Maicon. The French side has clearly expressed its willingness to let him leave leave Lille .”
“His preference is for Inter , although the most concrete offer came from Newcastle . The English club would be willing to invest €6-€7M for him, but the Nerazzurri are continuing to have contact with his representatives.”
Alexander then goes onto talk about Lyon full-back Cissokho, who is another option for Inter.
But it seems that this can all be coming to a head very soon, on Mathieu Debuchy’s future, and there is a meeting with manager Rudi Garcia today, who himself has been looking for a replacement for his French International, who starred in Euro 2012..
Rudi had this to say to the Eurosport web-site:
“Everything is clear from Mathieu.” “He will be here Saturday so we can chat in person rather than on the phone. We are looking for a replacement who will not lower the level of the team. He is one of the best in Europe.”
“We do not intend to put up a fight with the player over his decision. He can go wherever he wants to if his replacement is found.”
Lille have already taken a look at Jose Bosingwa, who is a free agent after his contract at Chelsea ran out at the end of June, and Troyes defender Djibril Sidibe has also been identified as a possible replacement.
It does seem that Newcastle are the only club who have so far made an offer for the right back, but we think that was the £4M offer that was dismissed out of hand by Lille, and it doesn’t seem another offer has yet been made, although there were reports of that a few weeks ago.
With the meeting taking place today with Garcia – after Mathieu has eventually returned from holiday – there could be new developments on this front, but we’d be surprised if Newcastle don’t end up with their man on Tyneside.
What do you think?