The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Pleased With Increased Competition For Places

9:51 am, Saturday, July 21st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

In what is turning out to be a successful first tour this summer of Germany and Austria, the Newcastle manager seems upbeat with the good performances all over the field he got from his players on Monday night against a very decent Monaco side.

Alan Pardew – shown during game against Monaco on Monday night

Alan wants to increase competition for places all over the field for next season, and the thing that really buoyed our spirits on Monday night,  was the performances of many of Newcastle’s top youngsters.

And we have top hope that one or two come through during this coming season,  and players like Haris Vuckic, Mehdi Abeid, James Tavernier, Gaël Bigirimana and Sammy Ameobi have all looked good over the last couple of games.

And of course young  Shane  Ferguson isn’t even with the squad, as he picked up a slight injury in training and is being held back for treatment at Benton.

The last thing  Newcastle or the player want,  is for him to have another serious injury during pre-season – which is what happened last year.

Newcastle play in Vienna, Austria tonight against top Turkish side Fenerbahce,  and the Newcastle manager is happy with the competition for places so far.

And Newcastle’s big players will have to be on their toes, and nobody will simply walk into the Newcastle first team this coming season, not under Alan Pardew, who had this to say in the Newcastle Journal today:

“Trust me, players know they can’t just feel their way into the team. They have to hit the ground running.”  “If you are going to get in the first XI that’s what you have to do here.”

“We’ll put out a much stronger team against Fenerbahce. We are hoping to end the tour on a good note. Everybody has trained now with the group. Everybody is pushing now.”

We’ll have to wait and see if captain Fabricio Coloccini plays tonight, and he ‘s been working on his fitness levels, and wanted to be fitter before he plays his first game in pre-season, so he could get an outing tonight.

And it seems touch and go if Papiss Cissé is fit enough to play some of the game tonight, after taking sick in Germany over the weekend – it must have been that Wiener Schnitzel. :D

But the Senegal captain was fit  enough to take part in the white water rafting on Wednesday, and he seems fit enough from the pictures, if a little underwater.

Papiss Cisse underwater on Wednesday

It would be good to see both Coloccini and Cisse get a game tonight, however brief their first appearances may be, and the game is being televised live by ESPN and can be picked up on the PC.

Check the comments on our team article just before the match, where readers put in where you can pick up the game.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook (please):

=============================================

Tags: Development · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Papiss Cisse

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM

What’s everyone getting their knick knacks in a twist about Douglas for? A lot of people have been saying they have doubts about him anyway. Relax, Pardew will not want to end this window without a new CB at the club, either to replace or push wor Stevie…by replace, I mean in the starting 11, not starting a Stevie is leaving rumour….or am I?

• 2 Taking the Papiss // Jul 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

If I hear one more person go on about draggin their feet on Douglas I think I am going to go crazy! He CANNOT LEAVE UNTIL THE END OF AUGUST. It’s not like he is missing out on pre-season because he wouldn’t join up until then anyway.

The issue for me is that people are saying sometimes you just have to pay the money. That only works if you have no alternative- our team have put a value on everyone of our players that they would sell for. They have also put a value on every player we are looking at that we will buy for. If we are only willing to spend £7m on Debuchy and Lille wnt £8m we won’t get him- simple as that. Everyone knows that transfer strategy- at the end of last season people were saying how brilliant it was and look at the players we got. Now we haven’t signed anyone of note so far this summer and it’s suddenly a terrible idea. Get over it and see what happens come September.

• 3 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

On Dreamboat Mark II, nothing has changed from a few weeks ago. He’s just getting back, will meet with his club and discuss his future.

If reports are to be believed, they’re looking for a replacement and if they do, then all we have to do is agree on a fee….which is where the fun begins :)

Can’t see us not being to offer the player what he wants, just the club. However, I think Debuchy is a player we will try hard to sign as Simmo really needs to be moved out this summer due this contract. Time will tell

• 4 IFC.Toon // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

To be fair, supposedly he is the best centre half in the Dutch league.

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Can’t believe they’re dragging their feet on this Douglas deal…he needs to be with the team now, gelling with the other players….bloody Ashley.

Oh, hi taking the papiss. How you doing? :)

• 6 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Taking the Papiss – its all well and good saying wait til September, but that will be too late if we still havent got enough bodies through the door by then. Everybody agrees with our current transfer blueprint, however selling clubs will look at our success and then ask for that extra million or two for their players. So at some point we WILL have to bite the bullet and pay market value, otherwise we’ll be left standing where we are without any improvement

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Ibiza,
    I like your calming advice but the bit about Pards not wanting to start a window without a CB,CF or LB seems to to have no effect on whether he gets one or not .

• 8 geordie157 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Debuchy will sign once Lille get a replacement sorted.

Douglas i’m not too bothered about, good signing if it happens, i’d still rather we paid more and went in for Sakho. The Villarreal centre back Musacchio could be worth a look too.

But both Debuchy and Douglas seem a lot more likely than us splashing 15-20mill on Carroll. Especially when you consider 20mill could get us Debuchy 7mill, Sakho 8mill and Castaignos 5mill.

• 9 toonydoonunder // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Congrats on the great news with the tests ED hope it stays that way for a very very long time. Hope this transfer window would hurry up and finish going mental with the made up s#$%e that is sweeping the net concerning the toon,i need the season to start to get away from this AFL bo*&^%ks.HWTL

• 10 geordie157 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Have to agree though, this Douglas saga is dragging on a bit now!! haha

• 11 Taking the Papiss // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

No they won’t there is clearly good value out there and I believe we will get Debuchy and Douglas in the end. The point is though we will move onto another target or come back later. For example, Cisse- in summer he wouild have cost us 15m but we didn’t pay it, in Jan we got him for £8m. People will arrive, I’m sure but everyone needs to get over this Debuchy obsession- it may well not happen and if it doesn’t its not the end of the world because a) Simmo is still there for now (and won’t be let go until we replace him) and b) we will look at other targets. It’s the same every year- players will arrive

• 12 jesperfuglsang // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ibiza you cheeky little buggar ;-) hehe

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I said this the other day and I still think it stands true. If a club wants to sell or a player wants to leave and no other club is wanting to pay more than us (taking in to consideration we pay cash up front), then we are in a good position.

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. It’s business. It might not work always, but to say that it wont work and we need to pay that extra £1-2m is also not the right mentality.

Others have pointed it out as well. Let’s say we just say ok, we’ll give you an extra £1m, how will that effect our future transfers? Which club is then not going to ask for £2m more on each deal? Where does it end?

I’m going to be a little bit peeved if September comes and we don’t have a CB and a FB pushing for the first team, as it was an area that currently needs help, however, I am willing to wait for the right deal as the club haven’t really let us down the past 2 seasons.

I understand people’s calls that if we had got Cisse last summer rather than in January we could of finished higher, but that is speculation and we don’t know what impact that could have had on other transfers. Would money have been available for Santon for instance?

We’d all love all our new players to arrive July 1st, but it’s not realistic. The window is open for 2 months for a reason, so let’s relax for now

• 14 Spuggy // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Pards saying Ba will play central role 90% of next season. Will be interesting to see how we incorporate him and Cisse without going 442 too often.

4132 or 4321 with Ba and Cabaye behind Cisse.

• 15 Spuggy // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Pardew said: “Demba wants to play in a central role.

“He wants to get himself chances to score goals.

“And I think that in 90% of the games next year that’s where he will play.”

• 16 Spuggy // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The on-trial Anthony Koura seems a cracking player too…

Koura is available at a cut-price fee as his club are suffering from financial problems and they are looking to balance the books via player sales.

Under pressure from the French FA, they may have their hands tied with Koura if a deal can be struck.

Reserve-team coach Willie Donachie told the club’s own website: “We’d take him.”

• 17 Hatem's better than Messi // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

@Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

Do you do massage as well as psychotherapy?

• 18 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

See guys
    I Told you!!
    Nick 69 knows it all.
    Players fees, players contracts!
    Amazing, so do not comment on something this lad knows everything about!!
    King ITK

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

JFA….I agree, at the end of the day Pardew is helpless when it comes to “getting them over the line” (god that line winds me up as much as “silly money” these days). My point was, everyone panicking on here is wasted. Pardew will want players as much as us, it’s his job that is dependent on results, for us it’s just our sanity :)

There are obviously no certainties with the club and transfers. For me, I would have said a CB was a priority last winter when Saylor was out for the rest of the season, we played hard ball and didn’t get one. All we can do is hope they pull it off this time, which I am sure they’re trying to do, whilst not surrendering our current market status, which whether frustrating or not, has been working well for us.

I suppose the other option is to take to the streets with the pitchforks and try and make him sell up :)

• 20 Spuggy // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Collo to play tonight, with Jonas again in a central role.

• 21 steve // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Competition for places is good in every area except centre back and up front. I would like to think we could bring 4 players for these positions, 2 for the first team to provide competition and two in the mould of Amalfitano/Bigi to add to the development squad.

• 22 Dannyo // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

@Spuggy
    A cracking striker prospect is just what we need mate. Hopefully he’ll be good enough to join us and feature next year. He’s already 19.

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Hatem…Depends on how hot you are. Gender tends to play it’s part too mind.

• 24 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Les Grossman – what a bellend you are. When did I say I know it all, its my OPINION. Thats what this site is for, discussing and debating you idiot. Its clearly you who thinks he knows it all, not once have I stated to know wnything about a contract, it was YOU who said 90% that Debuchy had a caluse, I said theres no evidence to suggest that, so infact your the one who clearly thinks he know players contracts etc, not me.

• 25 Spuggy // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

@Dannyo

Agreed, a position we could do with strengthening. especially with the uncertainty surrounding Ranger.

• 26 steve // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Check out Anthony Koura’s international stats:

2008–2009 France U16 17 (8)
    2009–2010 France U17 13 (5)
    2010–2011 France U18 7 (3)
    2011– France U19 7 (3)

Not too shabby, agree with above posters he looks an excellent addition if signed

• 27 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand – my point is that selling clubs will obviously look at our success in buying players and ther value now in comparison to what we paid for them. Its all well and good saying we can just move on to other targets, however chance are their club will also do the same thing. Im not saying we should just start paying whatever people ask, however there is going to come a point where teams are going to want more from us if we continue our success in buying players, and its going to be a case of either pay a little more, wether it be for our 1st or 5th choice player, or end up without the players we require.

• 28 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Nick69
    And I quote!!!
    ‘a buy it clause is so a player can get out if a club matches a valuation WITHOUT his current club stopping him, why on earth would a player ask for a clause that states they only have to accept once a replacement is found,’
    Seems pretty definitive that you think you know about get out clauses and contracts wouldn’t you agree nicolarse?

• 29 Thump // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

So Les Grossman is our new resident WUM, eh? Nice.

• 30 Thump // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

And I quote: “So your actually saying that if someone comes in and offers 7m for Demba ba he can just walk out the club?”

Yes. Just like we did while he was at West Ham (free due to a clause activated when they were relegated). Just like we did with Cabaye. There is a precedent for this as that is what a buy out clause is.

Now, please sit down and let the grown ups talk.

• 31 Munster Mag // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Nick69, well said.

• 32 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Thump.
    Not at all!!!
    I have an opinion here as do you!
    I merely put my opinion up and what I thought I heard at the beginning Of the transfer window re debuchy! Seemingly i ‘plucked it out of thin air’ therefore Immediately pounced upon by Nick69 as being an invalid opinion *shrugs*!
    But as opinions are like ar5holes, I guess some are bigger than others!
    Problem is too many people on here want to force their opinions on others! People like nicolarse in particular as they seem to think they know more than us and when you respond, I even agreed with the boy at one point, he responds with ‘bellend’ niiiice!!!
    Lad must be an ITK that’s all!!! ;-) x

• 33 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Les Grossman – read the quote again, numpty. ‘why on earth would a player ask for a clause that states they only have to accept once a replacement is found’…….that is a QUESTION, so how exactly is it definitive that I know anything.

and I quote ‘I am also approx 90.015% sure that the reason we were looking at debuchy long before the euros, was because he had a Cabaye style buyout clause !!!!!!’

hmmmm interesting, seems as though its you who thinks he’s ITK.

And another quote from one of you idiotic posts

‘So your actually saying that if someone comes in and offers 7m for Demba ba he can just walk out the club? Interesting indeed! I merely thought, being a normal mortal, that nufc would hold on to him as long as tgey could to get a replacemnt in!’

Ermm yes thats EXACTLY what I am saying, thats the whole point of a buy out clause, why do you think Pardew has said time after time he is powerless to stop Ba leaving if he wants to. MORON

• 34 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Oh thump thump thump!!
    It’s an opinion mate!
    Unjam your Weener from nicks ar5e for god sake!
    I never said I knew the ins and outs of contracts!!! Look if clauses are set in stone why is Demba ba’s ‘a minimum of 7m’ ????
    Comin smart ass riddle me that!! Could it be that the club will hold on to him for the biggest offer ( get your mum to read today’s chronic to you)
    And Cabaye! Another ITK are you??? How long were NUFC negotiations for cabaye? Granted they used a release clause! Fact of the matter is Lille were happy with the negotiations which may indicate they went on for sometime before he signed! Eg allowed a replacement?? Maybe??? I know as much as you which frankly is sweet fa!! Speculation speculation speculation it’s what it is all about!!
    So thump (pfft) debate, opinionate, whatever, but doesn’t mean that yours and your boyfriends opinions are any better than mine or anyone else’s! Ok
    Penis

• 35 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Nick69
    As I said to your boyfriend
    Read to days chron!
    Would seem that Demba ba’s clause is not as cut and dried as you are telling us! A minimum of 7m?? What does this mean?
    Could it be nufc could hold out for more ??? Oh oh oh
    I’m soooo confused!!
    You seem to know though?
    Enlighten us all?
    And I have told you once already take a hug step back and f11ck you own face! ‘
    Lots of love the moron x

• 36 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Thump and boyfriend
    I thought a clause was a clause?
    7m an the player can just walkway? ??????
    Yet in Demba it’s a minimum of 7m!

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Les…Think you’ve misunderstood what Nick is saying. “IF” a player has a buy-out clause it would generally be for a figure, not based on being able to find a replacement as well. I don’t think he claimed to know what this particular clause is or if there even was one. Anyway, not jumping in :)

Nick….As I said, we may not be able to get all of our first, second or third choice targets. People will wisen up to our dealings. However, a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If we are the best available offer around, we will get our player and there is a value in paying cash, which we do.

Anyway, I think we understand each others point and aren’t a million miles away from each other. At the end of it all, all we want is to see our club improved and to be able to compete at a decent level and on those fronts, I am happy

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Les…To be fair though, we’re still none the wiser. Is the Chronicle always 100% accurate? I haven’t read it, so not dismissing it, just saying, none of us know for sure and anyone claiming to frankly is a bit of a fool.

From what I read, perhaps i’m wrong, Nick didn’t claim to know the details of the clause, just that it would be odd for a player to want a buy-out clause, but then allow something as tricky as “as long as we find a suitable replacement”, which in legal terms is one messy clause.

• 39 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ibiza
    Agree!
    I know exactly what he said and I agree! It’s the shitey little way he tries to force his opinion on people! He obviously does not understand the mechanics of this blog!
    And yet you all tell us that ‘clause’ are written in stone?
    7m he’s off??? Have you read todays papers? Minimum of 7m is the wording? So????? What does this mean?
    I’ll tell you, you don’t have a clue? I don’t have a clue….. Only nufc Demba ba and agents have a clue about clauses, contracts etc!! So really no need to shout anybody down on here for thinking theyay have read somewhere something………NEVER said I was 100% sure! But the bully boys pounce, blab and hate it when you retort!

• 40 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Les – a minimum of £7mill simply means that less than £7mill can be rejected. What don’t you grasp about that? £7million is the least he can leave for. Its pretty basic logic really. Offers of £7million or more, meet the buyout clause and are automatically accepted, the reason it says minimum, is because obviously clubs are allowed to bid more than the minimum if they so chose.

• 41 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Nick69
    Wrong!
    Prove it?

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Les…Fair enough, I think i can leave you 2 to thrash this one out then :)

My last input on this then.

We’re all agreed on the following:

1) A basic buy-out clause would mean if a club match the price, they can have the player, dependent on the player agreeing.

2) Whether reported in a paper or whatever, us fans are still none the wiser and would be foolish to treat any of this information as “fact” or to back up an opinion, only speculation.

• 43 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

what on earth are you talking about? its pretty basic knowledge that minum means the least recquired. So it buy out clause terms, it takes a minimum of £7mill to trigger Demba’s clause, the reason they put minimum in their is because obviously if a club didnt know of the clause they could bid more than that. If you can’t grasp a simple thing like this then its clearly pointless talking to you as you have no common sense whatsoever.

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Nick69…..The minimum is a bit misleading though, if true. There is obviously more to the clause than we’re aware of, so what are we disputing here?

• 45 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Ibiza – how is the minimum bit misleading? I really dont see how anyone can’t grasp it. The minimum bit mean that £7mill is the minimum amount that can trigger the clause, anything under £7mill doesnt activate the clause.

Please explain how exactly minimum is misleading? ALL buy out clauses are for a minimum value. Cabaye’s was for a minimum of £4.5, Messi’s is a minimum of 250mill etc etc.

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Nick…Well, if I said to you, “you can buy product A for a minimum of £20″ Would you want to pay more? Would you need to pay more? If the price is £20 to activate the clause, why do you need the word minimum? I would imagine, and yes, i’m speculating here, there is something else to the clause. Just saying, not claiming to know

• 47 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Nick69
    You said that a buyout clause is one with no leeway lets say! That’s essentially what you get at in previous posts! 7m he will walk that’s why you said!
    I merely said if its so set in stone why now is there things like minimum 7 m? Why not just 7m which was indeed my initial post! That you jumped upon and blew way out of proportion!

So I rephrase! Why is it a minimum 7m and not his buyout clause is 7m?? I will enlighten you…… Demba ba had a clause in his contract that he could leve of a club bid in excess of 7m okay! So I reckon the club said hang on, we’ll go with that …. But our stipulation is it has to be before 31 July?????? Why, oh wait…… Here it comes……. Yup nearly there…….because….it will give us (nufc) a chance to get a replacement!!! Some clause! Boom!
    Squeeze your spots cleanse with clearasil and f11ck of back to bed like all good teenagers do!
    Had about as much as I can take of your knowitall bullsh1t! Take your lover boy with ya!

• 48 Nick 69 // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

you need the word minimum because that is the LEAST amount that will trigger the clause. They put the word in there because obviously in the event of a club not knowing of the clause, they may come in with a higher offer, which would still reach the MINIMUM requirement to activate the clause.

• 49 croftus5678 // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

douglas is a great cb 3.1mil is an absolute bargain for him and he would improve the team same quality if not a little better than saylor.
    debuchy i think if anyone we will get only because of cabaye.
    and the lad on loan could be a great signing and maybe the young apprentice striker/winger we have been missing since the early days of carroll and the disapointing ranger.
    imo if we only sign debuchy as a 1st teamer this season (as i suspect this is all we will sign) i think we will be great next year.
    even with the players out it seems our youth’s have caught up to 1st team bigi/amal/tav/fergusson/gosling/vuckic/sammyobi/abeid all look like prem quality in the friendly’s (little lost at times but the quality is there they only need games now) and raylor/perch/ober have improved as players aswell.
    the good thing is all the crap we used to get and now i have totenham fans coming up to me and saying they will be happy with a draw against us 1st game of the season :-) (shows how much the team has done us proud guys so lets cheer them on to silverware next season)

• 50 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Nick…My bad. Didn’t realise that if it just said “Buyout clause is £7m” then we wouldn’t be able to accept an offer over than amount and would be inclined to notify any purchaser of the clause and that we had neglected to use the word minimum.

I’m not a lawyer, so really don’t wish to continue this, well, I suppose “debate”, but to be honest it’s gone past that and seems to be a general slagging match.

• 51 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Nick69
    Nice side step of my very likely scenario, but would that be because it actually sounds plausible? And you definitely stated clubs don’t allow for replacements in release clauses! ;-)
    What did you call me earlier?

• 52 Les Grossman // Jul 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM