Steve Harper May Have Role In Europe Next Season

We’ve often wondered what role veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper will have at Newcastle next season, in the final year of his contract at Newcastle, and of course Steve has been at Newcastle since Kevin Keegan signed him way back in 1993, when I was only a 70 year-old youngster.

Steve Harper – could play a role in Europe next season

But with the news today that Alan Pardew will be relying on youngsters and fringe players for the Europa League games, we could see Steve Harper be Newcastle’s goalkeeper in Europe next season.

Certainly Steve looked good on Monday night against Monaco, and made some good saves, and maybe next season Rom Elliot will back up Tim Krul in the Premier League games, and Steve will be the starter for the Europa league games.

That would fully utilize Steve’s tremendous experience at Newcastle, and he could also help some of the youngsters, who will get their chance in Europe next season too.

And fringe players like Shola Ameobi, Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux and top Brazilian Perchinho, should see themselves get games in Europe next season too.

Some of the player’s numbers have changed this season, with Steve Harper getting the number 37 (his age), because Tim Krul has been given the number one number, as Newcastle’s first team goalkeeper.

And Alan had this to say about his young 23 year-old new number one:

“Tim is a fantastic keeper. One injury, though, and the door is wide open again.”

Newcastle will get plenty of games next season, if we reach the Europa League groups stages, and the squad will be a little stretched.

But it would be good if Steve Harper can be used, and in our poll as to who should be the back-up goalkeeper to top man Tim Krul, Steve won easily with 72% of the vote.

Who Should Back Up Tim Krul Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook (please):

=============================================

• WWYCD

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Harps every day of the week and twice on Sundays

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Should have said Elliott should have been sent out on loan ladt season instead of Harps on this thread ,it would have been more appropiate.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Good morning WW…

• WWYCD

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Morning fella haha on ur loaning point I think Harps pushed for it so he could get some game time rather than Pards telling him to go, to my memory anyway

• pbNcl

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Love harps me like. Same bracket as shola

Legends to me, absolute legends

• @timuJ

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Have you guys made a fantasy team yet? If you have join my nufcblog fantasy league.

I play pretty seriously so join it if you’re up for the challenge.

League code is 78278-39466

• DannyA

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

70 year old youngster lol probs right back then as long as u can play we will sign u up no matter wat the age haha that made me giggle the 70 year old youngster hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

god im so imature sometimes!

• geordiegav1987

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I can’t believe anyone actually voted for elliot, I cringe when ever he has to make a save. I can’t believe we sold a perfectly good keeper and kept smelliot. I’ll probably get some abuse for this but I think elliot is shite and should be offloaded asap. I know people will say give him a chance he’s only played a few games, but he’s let in some soft goals in them few games and imo he is not premiere league material. I really hope krul is back for next game because there’s no way he would have let that goal in yesterday. I know it was only a friendly but the lads deserved a win yesterday and it would have given the team a bigger confidence boost. on the other hand at least it looks like our youngsters are developing very well and I look forward to seeing more of sami, abeid and brigaira. Can’t wait for the beginning of the season. Howay the lads.

• bambams

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Still not sure about Rob, sometimes wonder why we did not offer Forster the European games rather than sell him for 2 mill. Saying that maybe we did.
    Really concerned now in relation to Debuchy and other targets. Thought we would have had at least one major player in.

• outsidethebox

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

after watching game last night and pardieus comments
    imagine the euro team could look like
    harper/elliot
    simpson (if debouchy signs) tav williamson rtaylor
    amafitano bigi abeid vukic
    sammy and shola …

• Phil K

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM

He’s better than the other bloke, no doubt about that. Krul’s way out in front, but Harper is even further ahead of Elliot

• terencelim

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Yes Elliot is shite but sad to tell Harper isn’t much better than him.

• Trent Toon

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Wait Ed does that mean you were born in 1923 or thereabouts? U would have been 17 years old when the krauts fought the Brits in the skies. And u would have been roughly 22 yo when the battle of Berlin. I study that shit and am still cant seem not to be fasicinated that people can be still be Alive today when it seems so long ago.. This all coming from a 20 yo

• Trent Toon

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Wait Ed does that mean you were born in 1923 or thereabouts? U would have been 17 years old when the krauts fought the Brits in the skies. And u would have been roughly 22 yo when the battle of Berlin. I study history and still cant seem not to be fasicinated that people can be still be Alive today when it seems so long ago.. This all coming from a 20 yo

• Trent Toon

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Wait Ed does that mean you were born in 1923 or thereabouts? U would have been 17 years old when the krauts fought the Brits in the skies. And u would have been roughly 22 yo during the battle of Berlin. I study history and still cant seem not to be fasicinated that people can be still be Alive today when it seems so long ago.. This all coming from a 20 yo.

• Trent Toon

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Wait Ed does that mean you were born in 1923 or thereabouts? U would have been 17 years old when the krauts fought the Brits in the skies. And u would have been roughly 22 yo when the battle of Berlin. I study history and am still cant seem not to be fasicinated that people can be still be Alive today when it seems so long ago.. This all coming from a 20 yo

• toon1707

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Harper is much better than elliott I have only seen him a few times but don’t rate him from what I have seen so far. Unfortunatly off topic a bit Gosling is the same not good enough in my opinion the other young midfielders all look a lot better than him which is a shame as he had a lot of potential when we signed him but I don’t think he has improved at all due to his injuries