Big Test For Newcastle In Upcoming Friendly Games In Portugal

Alan Pardew and Peter Beardsley watched the Newcastle youngsters last night in Northern Ireland in the final of the Milk Cup and John Carver and Steve Stone took the squad out to Portugal to prepare for two games  – one tonight and and one tomorrow night against Olympiacos and FC Braga respectively.

Alan Pardew doing all the talking
John Carver looks like he’s going to be sick!

We thought John Carver had accompanied Alan and peter to watch the youngsters but that wasn’t correct and he took the training session yesterday with Steve Stone in Fargo, Portugal.

Hatem Ben Arfa will likely miss both games, and the same could be true for Yohan Cabye, who is now with the squad.

Rob Elliot has been left behind and it seems Newcastle’s number one and number two goalkeepers – Tim Krul and Steve Harper – will get full games in these friendlies.

Alan Pardew flew into the training camp in Portugal this morning, and John Carver talked today to the local press earlier today, about the two upcoming pre-season games, which will be another good test for Newcastle:

“It is a little bit different to last week.” “We’re now three weeks into the pre-season training.” “Now we go into a competition format. The manager will play two different teams each night.

“Everybody will play some part. Some will get 90 minutes.”   “We’ve got Yohan back now and there is only Hatem to come back in.”  “We’ve still got our group from last year. Tonight is the fourth game in the process.”

“Anybody that was at training last night or today will see how sharp we are.”  “The lads know that the season is just around the corner now.”  “It can be a real tough time. One minute the season feels a lifetime away, the next it is two weeks away.”

“The manager was at the Milk Cup final.”  “He went to watch the game with Peter Beardsley. He will fly in today.”  “It just shows you how much he thinks about the younger players here.”  “They did well to get to the final.”

“All the top sides like Chelsea and Man United have been in it.”

Ben Arfa is not in Portugal, and has been given a couple of extra days off, and he will link up with the group later, but is not expected to play in either of these two games.

And we suppose Alan will play half of the Newcastle starters in one game and half in the other, so he fields a decent team in each of these two friendlies.

They are again being televised by ESPN so we’ll have a chance to see how the lads are looking after they put in an excellent performance last time out against Fenerbehce.

We’ll see if top youngsters like James Tavernier, Mehdi Abeid, Sammy Ameobi and Gael Bigirimana continue to shine – we think they will – we hope they will. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

=============================================

• Burni

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

cant wait for these two games over the next couple of days.

really excited for the full first team to be playing together again more though.

the previous friendlies we have performed well but when key players, ie tiote, cisse, marveux have come on we have looked really really sharp, with cabs saylor and barfa back in I am really excited for August 18th.

oh well one step at a time, tonight and tomorrow first….

• Rowan Milsted

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Theses are indeed tough games but I’m very, very pleased with the friendlies Pardew and co have managed to cobble together at the last minute after all our plans went up in smoke. These are very competitive games and will be hard for sure, but they’re just what we need to prepare for Europe. I’m pleased with how they’ve gone so far, and with almost two full teams playing tonight and tomorrow we’ll know even more about our new signings and youngsters by Sunday.

The only shame is none of our so-called targets have been signed yet, as I was hoping we’d be gelling them into the team by now (again, assuming they are targets and we do get them). I thought that Debuchy would be tied up as soon as the Euros were over. Still, can’t have it all… Good luck tonight lads, do us all proud! HTL

• super magpie

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Nicky butt has a few nice words for us. Always liked Butt, was a good professional unlike a lot of the others who were at the time.

• indian

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

what time is the match according to Indian Tim ?

• check the toastie

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

So far so good for pre-seaon, no injuries and the lads getting sharper, looking forward to the new season whoever turns uo in our shirt. Unless its Simpson of course.

As for Nicky Butt, he was shit when he first came, however turned it around with some good commitment to the club back end, however it does again prove Fergy doesnt let his best ones come to the Toon.

I would currently be pleased if Debuchy was our only summer signing if you could guarentee me that right now. Fingers crossed for no injuries to key players tonight. Saylor, Collo, Santon.

• bri h

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

super magpie ” always liked butt” made me laugh sorry

• Novocastrian66

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Nicky Butt would have left if he found another club willing to pay him what we were. Another who contributed very little during his time at the club.
    Nice sentiments though. Which is more than some.

• nufcjohn

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Ins
    debuchy 7 million
    douglas 4 million
    anita 6 million
    carroll 17 million

total 34 million

outs
    fotster 2 million
    best 3 million

simpson 3hhhhhh million

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quick post. Ba Staying? Debuchy progressing? Ashley Out! Pardews A Puppet! Ketsbaia Rules!

That is all. Enjoy your Friday one and all x

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I always remember but scoring when we beat spurs a few seasons back. It was the same game Martins scoted that 80 miles per hour screamer

• Toonboy_84

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Ibiza, nail, head

• indian

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

what time is the match according to Indian
    Tim ???

• Novocastrian66

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The whole of the world will be watching the Olympic opening ceremony tonight. Except Newcastle fans, who will be glued to a meaningless pre season friendly.
    Class.
    Oh buy the way ESPN, Sky Sports etc like us because we sell.

• super magpie

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Big pappa Cisse

Funnily enough him and martins scored the season after when we beat them 4-1. Best performance of that season and under Keegan.

• indian

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM

what time is d match uk time?

• super magpie

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Indian, it’s. 8:45PM

• geordielad95

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Just realised I’m forbidden from viewing cwarrs tweets. Shame, I wanted To have a laugh today.

Anyway in other news, even if we don’t sign anyone, theres this growing consensus that the teams around us have improved massively?? I don’t really see it.
    Man U – only signed kagawa who coul make a difference, and he’s no world beater
    Man C- bit signed anyone
    Arse- set to lose their top player, hav several long term injuries. Only signed pools ki and giroud, podolski can never find top form at club level and giroud could be a flop
    Chelski- the only team to significantly improve. Hazard Marin and Oscar. However they have lost a lot of key squad players and their best striker. Squad looks a lot thinner than later year
    Bin dippers- from what I can tel they are sticking to their game plan payin too much money for players who just aren’t worth it.
    Spuds – haven’t really strengthens, just replaced players they released with better quality. No significant improbment.

Newcastle – have not lost any players, have some extremely talented youngsters who will be making the step up this season and brought in some more quality youngsters.
    Relax people, the teams around us arent that improved, anyone we bring in now only starts to set us above them. Ther will be a lot more newcastle players in the Pfa team of the season next year. I predict krul (maybe) colo yes santon (maybe if he keepsake improving) cabaye yes Ben Arfa yes cisse/ba yes.

Futures looking bright friends.

• geordielad95

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Apologies for awful spelling and stuff. iPhone’s eh?

• check the toastie

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Will be recording the match and watching the olympics, it should be pretty good.

For some of the people competing this is everything they have trained for over many years, hard work and dedication is something a lot of modern day professional footballers have forgotten about, some of the Olympic athletes compete for buttons on the hope of a little bit of history and leaving a legacy.

For me they should be supported and all the negative stuff about the games is typical british whinging pom attitude, it is why we are hated all over the world. Get behind the event and be proud to be British and Geordie, although i am a monkey hanger to be fair, proud of that too.

• Beattie25

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Hi guys

I had a dream last night (this isn’t a joke) and I was at Wembly watching NUFC play Spurs in the FA Cup final.

It was 1-1 and into the last 2 minutes. Debuchy, Anita and Remy were playing.

I remember as clear as day. Remy was number 11, Debuchy was number 20 and Anita was number 7.

They were wearing this season kits so I can only persume it was this season in my dream.

Anyway Spurs were attacking and we broke it down. Tiote to Anita, wide to Ben Arfa, Debuchy overlapping, ball comes in Cisse misses, ball headed to edge if the box, Anita strikes it hits Vertonghen, bobbles around and Gosling, mother fcuking Gosling, half volleys home. It went mad and I woke up.

What a dream, so vivid, so real, thought I’d share it with you.

Anyway all morning I’ve been thinking I’m a pyscic and this got me thinking.

Honestly if we signed Debuchy, Anita and Remy and Saylor could stay fit then I really believe that in a year or 2 we could mount a serious title challenge.

Maybe I’m suffering from the after affects of my delirious dream but that starting 11 would be one of if not the best in the PL.

I’m going back to bed.

• Burni

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

geordielad, terrible spelling aside, I really like your post. I have been panicking quite a bit recently as we have let a lot of players go and I think our squad is thinner than last year with a tougher schedule. I asked for ppl to ground me the other day and you just did. Sensible post but chelsea are going to be incredible next season.

• Burni

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM

beattie, if only mate, screen dump ur post and save it with a reminder set for the day after the fAC cup final….. lets see……

• Valci

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Beattie – youre losing it my friend. I think silly season is getting to you big time heh. I’m gonna write an open letter to NUFC staff urging them to start on the signing if they value the mental sanity of the club’s supporters.

• LewSpi

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

What’s up fellas.

Aint posetd in a while, haven’t seen any news int he past two weeks, been to Zante with the lads sio I’ve been in a little alcohol endued bubble. Any news?

I just read that Arsenal have got Nuri Sahin in on loan for a year, a good signing for them in my opinion.

• jesperfuglsang

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

…and Beattie goes all Nostradamus on or ass 😉 lol

• Valci

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

geordielad – the one player im jealous for is Giroud. Good all-round striker and was within our supposed price-range (if you believe the Remy for 15mil rumor). The rest were not all that impressive save the really expensive ones (i.e. Hazard).

• Beattie25

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I’ll make a prediction for tonights match and we can therfore confirm whether or not I am psycic.

Newcastle United 2 Derby County 0

• ashwin say's

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

paul dummet travelling with first team
    thats exciting!!!!!

• JAMSHA

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

bloody hell espn indian doesnt wana show any live match from olympic also 🙁

• indian

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM

8.45 UK time or Indian ?

• Beardo Ameobi

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM

As I don’t have any ginger nuts to share with you, I offer you this instead, if you’re interested – http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/59872/1/arsenal-vs-man-city–live-stream-online.html

• JAMSHA

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM

cisse- “God willing, I will score a lot more goals
    this season. I scored 30 goals last season,
    but I don’t set targets for the next season.
    “Maybe I will score 30 again – I don’t know.”

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Cisse will be the top scorer next season, if not he will have the most goals outside the top 4 I assure you

• ochytoon

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Lew Spi
    How was Zante? Me and the boys went to Kavos.

• euanpolo

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM

So Ben Arfa’s still not back because of this disciplinary hearing. International sides have no consideration for club sides. Why couldn’t they have held it earlier?

• Valci

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Big Pappa Cisse – ill take that bet. I say Ba will have more goals (depending on how much each of em plays). A better goal/minutes played ratio is a more accurate way of putting it. (its win-win for me anyways hehe).

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Haha Gerrard eyeing a top 4 finish is the funniest thing I have ever read. They have no chance. They’ve been poor since they sold Xabi Alonso and Meireles.

• Valci

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Jasper – i think thats 30 and 5 rather then 300 and 50. Just a guess but i figure they added 1 too many zeros hehe.

• toonLYF

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

so pleased our friendlies have coverage this year, last seasons pre-season was so frustrating