Demba Ba And Pappis Cisse Both Start Against Braga

Alan Pardew has named a completely different starting eleven for the game tonight against Braga,  from that which started last night’s game against Olympiacos, which ended in a 1-1 draw and 4-4 on penalties, and James Tavernier, Sylvain Marveaux and the Senegal strikers,  Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba all start.

Yohan Cabaye is on the substitutes bench and may get some playing time, but that could be 15 minutes at most tonight, but will depend on the type of game and the state of the game with say 20 minutes to go.

Sammy Ameobi also gets a start tonight as do Danny Simpson and Ryan Taylor, and it looks a strong Newcastle side, and  Danny Simpson or James Tavernier will play alongside Coloccini in central defense.

Dan Gosling is not included in the squad after picking up what is said to be a slight hip injury last night – and it’s good that’s his injury is not serious.

Everybody else who played last night is on the subs bench, and it would be good the get the win tonight.

Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Steve Harper; Danny Simpson, Fabricio Coloccini (c), James Tavernier, Ryan Taylor; Sammy Ameobi, Cheick Tiote, Jonas Gutierrez, Sylvain Marveaux; Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba
Substitutes: Tim Krul, James Perch, Mike Williamson, Paul Dummett, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon, Gael Bigirimana, Haris Vuckic, Mehdi Abeid, Romain Amalfitano, Haris Vuckic, Shola Ameobi

Here is a link to the game for tonight.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Cabaye not on the bench

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I can see us scoring a few tonight like

• IFC.Toon

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Hope its not a 4-4-2….

• josh

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

This might be a biased answer considering its an nufc blog, but I was having an arguement with a few Ipswich fans today. Is it wrong that I’m a Newcastle supporter life long instead of ipswich? All my mums side are from Newcastle and since I was old enough to know what football was I donned the nufc shirt instead of Ipswich although I was born there. Just wanted a few opinions. Bare in mind my old man hates football. ( his dad was a toss pot so that explains the loss of football gene)

• Gilroy1991

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Looking forward to seeing marveaux in action

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

@ Josh

Na not really m8. I hate when people support a team just because they win everything. Take on of my mates for example, he supports Man United and was born and bred in Newcastle with no family ties whatsoever to manchester. Hence the name Glory supporter

• HBA Blood Twister

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

@ josh

You must have been ribbed to sh*t when we signed Titus.

• dmac

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Josh mate im a bit like you, born in scotland lived in newcastle for a few years but spent the majority of my live elsewhere. I support newcastle because my parents and family do. My allegiances lay solidly with the toon. I had a season ticket for 3 years and had to travel 300+ miles to the games.

Cant help where your heart is mate.

• dmac

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I forgot to mention that the entire family minus me are born and bred in newcastle

• jayphoto

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

@josh I was born and bred in London to a German mother and Mediterranean dad, supported toon all my life, my grandmothers a geordie and my great uncle Charlie won an f.a cup fr the toon, we were season ticket holders for years, driving 4 hours every Saturday! Once the toon is in your blood your f@£%£d! In for a lifetime of misery with no parole! A team like no other!

• rainrix

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

This better be a decent match. This is gonna take up several hours of valuble drinking time 😉

• pardew no 1

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

josh nor coz newcastle are the dogs Bollocks

• Ryan2502

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

@jayphoto Don’t want to be nosey, but who was your great uncle? Charlie who? Must be great to be forever linked to the club’s history like that!

• AMEOBI

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

8:45 kickoff again boys?

• Dannyo

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Lovin this lineup.
    Imagine that we still have Cabaye, HBA, and Fergy to play, and we’ve done so well with a very, very young team.
    Love that.
    Bodes well for the new season.
    Chuffed to see Tav back along side Collo, we’ll see that more this season i hope.

• Tsunki

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Ketsy ketsy ketsy me boy, are you there?

• t00ntime

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

watching olympics + nufc, cud it be better?

well yes, if cheryl cole was sitting next to me… but lests be honest, if she was sitting next to me i wudnt be watching the sport…

HOWAY THE LADS!! excited about seeing double demba again, finally

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Good team. Got 2 players playing out of position though.

• eastend toon

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

links guys???

spank ya kindly

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Good of ya Ed to put a link for the match, thanks-just when I thought this blog couldn’t get any better 🙂

Josh – I support the Toon and I am from Gibraltar lol Hardly any locals support the Toon and they all go for the favourites, ManUre, Liverfool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona, the typical. So I am of a rare breed over here. I guess you could say I love an underdog, although I would love it if this underdog could kick ass even harder than last year and finally win a trophy! 😛

Follow your heart like I did and you’ll never regret your decision. And to think my friend tried to convince me to be a ManUre fan!

I am like Shearer, I’d rather stick to the Black n White flag than go for the Glory Glory Man United.

Newcastle till I die!

Now for a smashing win tonight to lift spirits!
    4-0
    HWTL

• rainrix

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Hm cheryl cole nice to look at but when she opens her mouth…. *shudder*.

• Baro

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

LETS WIN THIS TOURNAMENT TONIGHT!!!!!!!

• Baro

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

CAN”T WAIT TO WATCH SAMMY AND MARVEAUX !!!

• eastend toon

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

JP, where’s the link for the match that Ed posted?!? its not showing up here

• rainrix

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

• jayphoto

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

@ryan2502 was the right back, Charlie Crowe! Inherited a signed team photo when he passed, holds pride of place in my office! Been quite lucky with Newcastle links as Neil Macdonald, Kevin Keegan, lee Clark, stevie Watson and Steve howdy are all good friends with various family members, means Newcastle family events are always interesting

• LGFUAD21

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Josh

Not in my mind. I have no family ties to Newcastle but my Dad lived there when he was younger. He’s a cockney. Im a Toon fan because a combination between my watching Toon games with my dad and a Geordie friend of mine when I was younger made me watch games with him.

So when it came to picking allegiances it was natural to support the team I had been following intently for a year

• eastend toon

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

yeah cheers rain… forgot i had it bookmarked… been a long day.. .too much sun and beer!

• jayphoto

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Howey*** damn Htc autospell

• madman67

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

found this from FSI was showing last nights game b4, very good flash player. its scheduled to show tonights game, so if probs with sopcast then this looks very canny, no chopiness….team list been shown yet?

• madman67

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

• catchy in norway

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

toon fan born and bred, felling 🙂

• Ollie666

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

any links??
    i dont have espn

• Dannyo

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Trying to find a sopcast link, but no luck.
    Anyone have one?

• Thump

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Looks like a fairly strong team. Looking forward to seeing what the lads can do.

• Ollie666

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

its alright i got a link

• Ollie666

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

• eastend toon

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

on the whole supporting yarn…. my ol dear was born in the toon, but she supports liverpool… the ol man from grimsby and supports manu.

i lived abroad until 91 and never really followed football but NUFC was always gonna be my team due to the ol dear… and as superficial as it sounds… my favorite colours or none colours if there’s any smart a**es on here are B&W and my favorite bird is the magpie and always has been… actually got a stuffed one on the wall… the wifes not a fan like but hey ho love, suck it up!

1 2 3 7