Which Striker Would Be The Best Buy For Newcastle?

It seems that not everybody agreed with my premise that John Guidetti would be a better buy at ¬£7M than Andy Carroll would be for over twice that amount – and yes – it was certainly a severe shock to my system. ūüėÄ

Andy Carroll – Loic Remy – John Guidetti – Luc Castaignos

But of course, as well as those two, as readers pointed out, ¬†we also have Loic Remy of Lyon, who we may be able to get for even under ¬£10M, since he’s in the¬†last¬†year of his contract at the French¬†club, and he would also be a great¬†acquisition¬†for Newcastle.

And 19 year-old Luc Castaignos  is a Dutch youngster, who joined Inter-Milan from Feyenoord last summer, but didn’t get much playing time at the Milan giants, and he’s now looking for first team football next season, and he could be another option.

How good a buy they will be, will depend on how much we have to pay for them – but let’s say Andy would cost ¬£15M, Loic Remy around ¬£9M, John Guidetti ¬£7M and Luc Castaignos ¬£6M.

Given those prices as an assumption Рwho do you think would be the best buy for Newcastle?

Which Striker Would Be The Best Buy For Newcastle?

• Loic Remy for ¬£9M (60%, 3,676 Votes)
  • John Guidetti for ¬£7M (23%, 1,426 Votes)
  • Andy Carroll for ¬£15M (14%, 842 Votes)
  • Luc Castaignos for ¬£6M (3%, 196 Votes)

Total Voters: 6,140

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• nufc786

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

remy and castaginos offer pace something we dont have at newcastle
    carroll is a geordie born and bred and john guidetti is a hot talent for someone so young….
    im miffed…..

• Geordie-Jake

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

• nufc786

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM

highly rated at bolton……

• ToonMauritius

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Ricky van Wolfswinkel
    is better

• WWYCD

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Ed thats some guess work on valuations of those deals

• gazza85

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Personally voted for Remy (if we could get him at that price). As others have stated he’s something a bit different to what we already have and would compliment them well.

• Rozzy

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Remy has pace unlike Carroll and i dont know who the other two are. We have two target men in Ba and Cisse but we need someone who can run a defenders like Ben Arfa can and Remy

• Dannyo

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ugh, i never liked these “who would u like to get” things. And i never put up wishlists myself either.
    It’s never a reality anyway, however realistic u are.

I do wonder how that french lad is coming along tho. Hope he’s good enough to get and that we get him. We need a proper striker prospect.

• MacToon

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I agree WW, we all playing FM now (or whatever it’s called)!
    I’d like to see some strengthening of the first team, especially in defence……..should I hold my breath?

• WWYCD

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Rozzy
    Cisse is a target man? U could argue Ba is (though I again disagree) but Cisse?

• MacToon

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I though Spurs had already bid £13 mil (maybe Euros) for remy and it was knocked back?

• No Plain Saylor

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

In terms of immediate success its;
    1 – remy
    2 – guidetti
    3 – carroll

In terms of for the future;
    Guidetti is top, then remy, then ac.
    Castaignos is gone to fc twente, shame

• Dannyo

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

@MacToon
    I was under the impression they were close to him in January too, but for some reason took Saha instead.
    So i think u may be right there.
    In any case, i think we should forget about Remy.
    A good prospect is what we need imo.

• lukes26

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

John Guidetti? Really? He’s might be slightly better than Vuckic…but he’s just as slow. Also has the cringing ego of bendtner too.

If he was any good, Man City would find a way to keep him. he’s only 20 and theyre letting him go.

• Rozzy

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

@WWYCD
    ok goal poachers then, cisse is deadly in the box but hardly runs at teams, only ben arfa really did last season and the odd run by jones

• blew

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Remy is excellent playing on deck, very clever and quick. Ready made for an immediate impact

• WWYCD

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

MacToon
    I dont know whether Spurs actually bid for Remy plenty of papers made links to it but it all came from ‘arry publically chatting him up so who knows if/what Spurs bid for him

Its all guess work at the end of the day haha

Personally I would go for Leandro Damiao he is class on FM ūüėČ

• keeping the faith

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

If the prices are correct then Carroll wouldn’t even be considered. Why pay ¬£15 mill for striker that is proven to be average in the premier league when you could spend that on another(better) forward and have plenty of change for another player. God sake we don’t need Carroll back for that kind of money.

• Big Pappa Ciss√©

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Remy all the way, better technical skills than Carroll will ever have

• WWYCD

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Rozzy
    Ah right I see what ur getting at now mate and its probably a fair point though Obertan runs at players and we have Marv coming back into the team who I believe will do as well plus theres Sammy who has looked good running at defenders so far along with Fergy who still hasent gotten his full go yet

• AsprillaCartWheels

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

We are not getting any. Which would you prefer? Plonking millions of ¬£ on a striker that wouldn’t score or Adam Campbell/JJ Hooper? give them kids a try!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I’ll be the new striker. Throw me ¬£1m and I’ll happily sign. I fit in to the policy of 25 and under….although not sure I’d bring much to the table as far as re-sale value goes….or scoring goals come to think of it.

But either way, I’m happy to put my name forward.

• No Plain Saylor

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM

wwycd.. I actually had that thought last week, leandro damiao is top notch, we’d hardly be able to pull it off doe. You know he.l was an amatuer getting $30 a game at 18. He almost packed it in. And in the next year or two we all know he’ll move to europe for about ‚ā¨40m. Rags to riches.. love it

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Definately Remy! As for a CB…Carroll would be our best bet, he’d keep the goals OUT!!!!!

• hotdog

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Its a centre back we need ED, do a poll on that!!!!

• AsprillaCartWheels

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Hmmm Xisco is still on the team’s payroll right? Let him play the leon best/lovenkrands role, we’re still paying so might as well…

• WWYCD

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

No Plain Saylor
    Aye the bloke has some talent hes over here with the Olympics as well isnt he? Might see if I can float over a love note signed from “Yo” ūüėČ might sway him into joining us

Didnt know he nearly packed it in though? Same situation as Colo was in when he nearly did couldnt afford to keep plugging away?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’d also run at defenders. No problem. I’ll even drop my rate to ¬£500k. That’s a quarter of a peanut!

• hotdog

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

AsprillaCartWheels – On that assumption Alan Smith should have played the last couple of years, dont think so or was it a flippant comment ūüėČ

• hotdog

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Ibiza, You would have the defenders shitting themselves haha

• Beardo Ameobi

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Remy is simply a better player than Carroll in every aspect aside from aerially (although he scored the most headers in Ligue 1 last season and is no dwarf at just over 6ft), in my view. So even at Remy 15m or Carroll 15m, I’d plump for Remy.

Despite all the speculation, I doubt a ST is a priority, in any case.

• RedMissionBells

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

To all Newcastle fans who want Carroll back on Tyneside. Do you honestly feel that Andy Carroll was worth 35 million when he moved to Liverpool ? Very frankly, the answer is No. When we compare to fellow English players such as Ashley Young, Stuart Downing, Darren Bent and Glen Johnson, their transfer fee range from 15 – 25 mil. As such, I would like to think for a Englishman (we all know that English players carry inflated fees) such as Carroll, he would be worth 15 – 18 million (include inflation rate) while he was in Newcastle. One season has passed and Carroll’s form has been very poor for Liverpool. As such, it would be right to say Carroll’s value must definitely have dropped. If so, why are we even willing to shelve out “15 million pounds” for this lad ? Given his form last season, he should be worth nothing more than 10 million. Lastly, with Ba and Cisse, he is never going to be in our first team. Especially since we are now playing more effective short passing football. If we are indeed willing to pay 15 million for a striker, we should be investing in a young striker who is cheaper and more skillful than Carroll (Not hard to find). AND, if we are INDEED willing to pay 15 million for Carroll, why are we having difficulty signing Debuchy, when Midfield and Defence should be our main priority. FYI, in Ba and Cisse, we have one of the best strike partnership in the league. Case close.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Hotdog….Probably about all I could manage tbh ūüôā

Beardo…What about when it comes to growing out a pony tail? AC hands down!

• lukes26

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

If memory serves me, Carroll was an unstoppable force of nature on a very average Newcastle squad (11 goals in 19 league games). Everyone was saying that he was the next Shearer. 16 months later he’s shit? Doubtful. Carroll didnt fit into Liverpools scheme. End of story.

Just because he played for Liverpool does not make him Judas. Newcastle wanted the money, Carroll wanted the money.

I’d probably want Remy primarily tbh

• RedMissionBells

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

To add on, I rather sign a striker from Sunderland who is able to score goals for us and get us into the champions league than to sign a Geordie who force us to play 1 dimensional football (long and high ball). When your team is losing by a goal, long ball tactics can be a real pain to watch, especially when the goalkeeper is very good at plucking the ball and ariel coverage.

• toonrobbybobson

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I can understand if people gave the reason for Carroll not to be signed because of what happened with him leaving there will be bad blood. But to have Guidetti by many for him in 2nd? I question if any have seen this lad. Most his goals were penalties last season and he has an ego like Bendtner. Signing him would stunt chances for someone like Adam Campbell or even Sammy or Vuckic. We were rubbish last season at corners and set pieces absolutely awful to be frank so its been earmarked by Pardew which proves that Ba and Cisse ARE NOT targetmen. Thats what we need in the squad and quite frankly I dont actually think there are many better than Andy Carroll and hes still very young. He will know now the grass aint greener and have a point to prove so will give us at least 6 years service at about 2.5 million a season and we know he can do it at this level something non of the others listed have. If not Carroll them Remy would be a good buy but again unproven in the EPL and would he clash with Ben Arfas position and option in the squad not to mention we now have Marveaux back and looking good. AC offers us way more options than any of the other strikers in my opinion.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

RedMission….Generally strikers cost more than other positions. Wouldn’t be as simple as saying “ok, forget ¬£15m on Carroll, use it on Debuchy instead”.

Was AC worth ¬£35m? Not for me, but obviously at the time, he was to Liverpool. We could obviously bring in at least equal talent for less money than AC and I would imagine that’s what the board will do.

I would be happy with Andy back at the toon though and don’t subscribe to the whole “he’s big and can only play well with hoofball tactics” argument.

The fact he’s a local boy shouldn’t have any impact on whether we want him or not, but at the end of the day, it does…for me anyway.

• No Plain Saylor

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Haha send that note! Yeah he’s at the olympics, lookin sharp too. If we could get him for 16m maybe id probably jizz.. :L signin him could be a possibility now, he playedd at sjp the other night, I’m aure he was impressed, let’s make a snealy bid, and you send the sneaky love note ha

• croftus5678

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

i think not any of them we need an unknown young striker with potential happy to play 3rd fiddle some one like sammy but scores and comes cheap.
    after those friendly’s i get the feeling guti should play in cover of lb/rb/dm/mf/lw/rw as the lad never stops >.< and is a great tackler aswell could be our solution to tiote's cards aswell.

1 2 3 8