Can Haris Vuckic Make It Big At Newcastle?

Haris Vuckic is still only 19 year old,  but he is already a full Slovenian International, and this lad can turn out to be a top player for Newcastle in the future, but there’s also no doubt this is a very important season for the youngster.

Haris Vuckic – important season coming up for 19 year old

Haris joined the club when he was only 16 years old back in January of 2009 from Slovenian club NK Domzale, and when the club held a news conference to announce the deal, we thought this lad could be very special.

Haris has been linked with AC Milan and Manchester United, and he certainly has held the mantle of being one of the best young footballers in Europe for a few years now, and he made his debut against Scotland in late February, and when he came on in that game, he looked a very good player.

There’s no doubt at all that Haris has been blessed with great skills, and he has often looked good when playing in Newcastle’s famous  colors, and maybe it’s this coming season when he can make the big breakthrough and challenge for a first team position on Tyneside.

Haris has been interviewed today by the Newcastle Journal and this is what the youngster, who was born in Ljubljana, had to say:

“I’m still only 19.   I will be 20 in August (21st August to be exact) but I am still one of the younger players.” “This is an important season but they are all important.”  “I am frustrated so far because I have not really had a chance without injuries getting in the way.”

“Newcastle supporters haven’t seen enough of me with the injuries so that is now the main thing for me – just to stay fit for long enough to have a chance.”  “It is great for me to have these games in pre-season because I know it is up to me and I feel happy and a I feel strong.”

“The manager has said that he’s happy with me. He thinks I will get a chance because players might be tired in the Premier League with all the added games.”  “I think there will be more opportunities for us to play next season with Europe.”

“There will be Carling Cup, the FA Cup, Europa League and of course the Premier League so I think there will be chances there for me to play. Cardiff was very good for me. I now feel as if I have the confidence to cope if the chance comes.”  “I feel stronger, I feel fitter and I will be ready now because it always helps to play those kind of games.

“Yes it was a level below the Premier League, but Cardiff is a big club where the games mean a lot and that has helped me a lot.”  “The most important thing for me is my fitness. I know I have said this before but injuries have been the thing that has most hurt me,” he said.

“Last season I was gutted to be injured when I was very close to the first team because I had earned the chance but there is not much you can do with an injury like that.”  “Now I feel good and hopefully I will be fit for all of this season. The main thing is to be fit, train hard and to make my opportunities count when I get them.”

“But it has been so frustrating for me to pick up all those injuries as a young player.”  “It was excellent experience for us ahead of Europe,” Vuckic said. “We played well in the games and this a very good standard of opposition for us to be playing against at this point.”

One area of his game that Haris has to improve on, as Alan Pardew has mentioned before, is that he has to become more physical as a player.

We remember when he started at Liverpool and in the first half somebody hit him with an elbow, and he stopped playing immediately, and the game carried on.

Now it could well have been a painful knock to take, but there are too many times when we’ve seen Haris play, and he just doesn’t like the physical part of the game, which of course is a big part of the game in England.

That’s why his time at Cardiff City would have been good for him,  and maybe another short loan spell at a Championship club could be good for the lad, although we think Alan Pardew wants to keep him on Tyneside, and give him some first team playing time this coming season.

Haris is also a big strapping lad at 6’3″ and he seems to still be growing, although the Slovenian is now shorter than a certain Sammy Ameobi,  who now looks about 7′ tall, especially when you consider the new haircut he has.

We think this will be a very important season for Haris, but not a do or die season, because he’s  still too young for that.

Haris could become a player who will become great at Newcastle, or he could become a youngster who may not make it to the highest levels of football – that’s where things stand at the moment.

We really hope it’s the former.

For the record Haris has played 12 times for Newcastle and five times out on loan at Cardiff City, and he played 5 times for the NK Domzale first team, before signing on at Newcastle three and a half years ago.

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This is supposed to be his year but he hasnt looked good in friendlies

• naptoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

hope so. next.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yes … hope so, he’s still young so he has 2-3 seasons to make himself a first team regular.

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I bet our breakout player of the year will be Bigi. We’ve found another gem just like we did with Tioti. Seeing double ? 🙂

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think all are young players will hav huge seasons I don’t see vukic, abeid, biggie, fergie, Sammi n tav n good as reserves I see them as first teamers even dummitt as impressed when giving the chance

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Only 13&half hours left in ba release clause this will b a test not for the club bcoz were powerless but a test of demba n how much he means he wants to stay
    Personally he will stay n bro has just tweeted can’t wait for the first at sjp to watch demba

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

@ davytoon
    We have enough players to create a B Team. Maybe mix them with the starting 11 reserves when competing in the League cup and or Fa cup to give them exposure

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Also we’re watching Anita play tonight b4 we make our move

• WWYCD

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Chronicle saying Van Der Wiel has been offered to NUFC as he is in the last year of his contract….bite their bloody hands off I say

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I read Anita was getting good reviews in friendlies

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM

@robvandam yea I think they will play europa, n the cups mixed with first teamers pretty much like pre season line ups hav been gonna b like having 7 new players then u add gosling n marveux who will hav big seasons were looking good

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Wwycd Debuchy or van der Weil I would pick van der Weil n a Dutch journo reckons we’ve been offered him for only 4mill

• rich

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM

There are only 2 pre season games left, why haven’t NUFC got the players we’re after “over the line” so that they’ve already gelled with the rest of the squad before the season starts. I understand that Debuchy was at the Euros and Douglas is waiting for his Dutch citizenship but GET IT DONE!

• cadete

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Vukic won’t make the grade, if we get a decent offer get rid, can’t see ferguson makin it either to be honest

• Made a ma beed

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Vuckic needs a year on loan to the championship, to see if he is a player or not. Injury free season hopefully, otherwise he will drift away like Kadar.

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Was just thinking. Love him or hate him, Ashley has actually setup a very good foundation for the club to be self sufficient. In future we wont be spending ridiculous amounts of money on players when we can farm them at the academy. In 5-8 years when FFP is in full effect, i can see us actually becoming a top 4 team and maybe winning the PL

• Slank

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Vuckic has lots of skill, excellent physique and an equally excellent left foot shot but I’m not sure what his best (possibly his only) position is. He isn’t an out-an-out centre forward or inside forward nor is he a midfield player. IMO, his best position is behind the front two.

Ron @ 4

Totally agree that Bigi will be the big revelation in the same way Cabaye was last season and Tiote the season before. Other Premier League clubs are going to be scratching their heads at how they missed this lad. At only 18 years of age he is an outstanding talent and so mature. Tiote’s love child?

I also think Sammy might make a breakthrough possibly as a forward and not on the wing where he has been played previuosly. In the recent games he looks to have the better of centre halfs who find him awkward but with his size and not inconsiderable skill on the ball.

• NUFCWill1986

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Vuckic will be great i think, negativity won’t help him develop

• WWYCD

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM

davy
    Completely agree mate hes younger and as good Id say 4mill is a complete steal and cheaper than Debuchy

Doesnt have the Cabaye link but am sure Krul knows him in some way

• walton1984

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

On a Different Note…….Does anyone know when the new homes top out!!!!!!!

• NUFCWill1986

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Anyone got a link for the Van der weil story please?

• croftus5678

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM

i really really hope this lad makes it but in all honesty i have not personally seen what all the hype is about when i have seen him play in the 7-8 games i have seen him play in.
    he’s only 19 but it seems the others are overtaking him i think he needs to wake up and see how lucky he is to be at the club.
    there must be something about him as he’s an intenational at his age and loads of fans ect say he’s a future star i just wish there was something to show it.
    pards needs to play him in his fave possition and get him motivated so at least we can see this potential in a friendly or something

• AMEOBI

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

@ Cadete,

Really? Seriously Vuckic to become like Van der Vaart, Ferguson looks class already, not very positive are ya?

• WWYCD

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

If (and its a big if I know) reported prices are correct we could end up with Van Der Wiel, Pieters and Douglas for less than 15 mill transfer outlay (no idea about wages obviously)

• Toon in Nairobi

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

For those who want to re-live last season here is a link you can download

• croftus5678

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM

yep fergie is awsome allready and will only improve if we can get him training with colo and tiote to pick up on better tackling we could have our debuchy allready

• 09nufc09

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I go to alot of the reserve games and this kid is the best young player we have coming through, hes better than sammy, fergie, abied and tav. The difference is he has a footballing brain, he picks out players with through balls and rarely gives the ball away, he runs into space. if you watch the game against braga back you will see a few minutes before the end of the game obertan gets the ball in the corner and crosses it to nobody then a few minutes later vuckic is in the exact same position and waits picks out cabaye and crosses it perfect and cabaye almost scores. The reason i dont think we have seen the best of him in preseason is because he has been playing cf when he is an am/cm, cabaye wouldnt look as good playing cf because you dont see alot of the ball. Play him in the cabaye roll in the 433 and you will see the best out of him. He has a hell of a shot on him aswel.

• wynsleap

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM

cadete @ 14 – sorry to say I think I have to agree with you.
    Vuckic has made very little progress, if any, at this club since coming here. Not physical (especially for his size), doesn’t dominate midfield and flits in and out of games too much for my liking. Hope I’m wrong but, in comparison, when you see how far Bigirama has come on since he came here, Haris looks way off the mark.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ed I totally agree on the point you made on Vuckic not up to it physically. He has to butch up! This is a tall young lad and he really needs to impose himself more on the field. That to me is his biggest weakness. Defenders simply bush him aside as if he were a feather weight.

I like this lad and he has bags of potential. I dare say he could become much better than a certain Cabaye in the future only if he knuckles down.

• HullMag6

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I’ve got big hopes for Haris and our other top youngsters. This season could be their watershed season and properly challenge 1st teamers.

Also sorry to repost, but….

Rvd re xisco, shake your head. He was a den weasel wise mistake and not good enough.

Agree with valci 100% on AC.

• Visten

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

We are talking about a young lad that has not played many games due to ijuries that is the key point here. When you put the 2 together of course he is going to be way behind schedule. Bigi who some are comapring with has been playing regular games which keeps him at match fitness and keeps his confidence high. I think what we see of Vukic when he plays is a player who is lacking both, it has nothing to do with ability at all. What we need to see is a full season fit and playing regular football then and only then can we judge where he is at at his development.

• Ian Toon

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Well said Visten I could not have said it better myself. This coming season will be a great chance for a number of youngsters to distinquish
    themselves . It doesn’t help when some write off their chances before
    the season is even underway. I never read to much into pre season games- remember Shearer who never scored until the season started.
    Vuckic has just recovered from injury and the last thing wanted is
    any setback in a relatively insignificant game. His playing recor to- date is similar to a young Gerrard who was blighted with injury
    but always looked a player . I have noticed that he does punch below his weight but growing confidence in his fitness will resolve that .
    On signings I rate Anita highly and he would greatly improve the
    passing out of the back. Simpson and Williamson didn’t help
    a passing style that Pardew prefers- a short ball to the busy Anita
    would get the ball to other creative players sooner. It would enable us to play 4-2( Tiote ,Anita) 3(Ben Arfa ,Cabaye and Marveaux). Cisse. Pardew has experimented with Jonas in CM but he is not as quick in seeing a pass as Anita.