Curtis Good – The People Are Lovely – The City Is Amazing

New boy Chris Good played 79 minutes at the International Stadium tonight in the Newcastle Reserves 3-1 win over Gateshead, and before that Curtis gave his very first interview on the Newcastle web -site.

It’s Good – Curtis in Newcastle colors

Curtis was on Tyneside for about 10 days in April, when he was having his trial, which led to his signing yesterday on a long six year deal at the Magpies, and it seems he took to Newcastle immediately:

“It’s great to be here.”  “It’s been a long process and there were times when I wasn’t sure if I was coming, but now I’m sat here it’s brilliant.”

“The city is amazing. I’m staying in a hotel just around the corner from the stadium, so I have been able to walk around the city and it’s really nice.”

“I came here on trial in April and if I’m honest I wasn’t sure what it would be like – the city, English football and all that – but I just loved it.”

“The people here, my teammates, everyone around the Club, they are all lovely and really helped take care of me and make me settle in.”

“I was lucky enough to see the home game against Stoke when I was on trial, and that was a completely different football experience compared to back home. It was amazing.”

“When I walked into the stadium, I was just like ‘wow’, and it was unbelievable. The atmosphere was unreal and watching the team win was great too.”

“But not just the game though – I woke up early and went into the city to grab a coffee, and it was buzzing for the match already, even in the early hours.”

“That gave me a taster of what it’s all about here and it’s something I would love to experience for myself, running out on that pitch as a Newcastle player.”

Curtis was at the  Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, the capital city, from 2009, and he finally made a total of 25 appearances for Melbourne Heart last season, after only signing on a year last February for the A-League side, so his rise to prominence has been fairly meteoric – and we hope that will continue at Newcastle.

And he explained that his two previous coaches before current Melbourne manager John Aloisi, were both Dutch, and they emphasized keeping the ball and using it well, and it shows in Curtis’ play, because he is very comfortable on the ball, and is mostly left footed – so maybe he could play at left-back as well as center-back?

Curtis continued:

“When I first arrived at the Institute I was a striker and then got moved back to be a midfielder.”  “As soon as I hit six-foot they moved me back again and I’ve been there ever since.”

“Before John Aloisi, my two previous coaches were Dutch and they really emphasized keeping the ball and using it well That’s how I would describe myself – I like to play like that.”

“As for my hopes this season, I can’t really say.”  “I just want to settle in here, work as hard as I can and then hopefully be even more successful than last season.”

“I made big steps last year at Melbourne but I don’t want to stop there. I want to go even further and to be a part of Newcastle’s season would be brilliant.”

We had heard that Curtis was a smashing lad, and it will be great to see him play, and maybe he will get a run-out in Holland on Saturday afternoon, although Alan Pardew will not want to rush him too much, and he’ll be given plenty of time and space to settle down on Tyneside.

We think this lad will turn out to be stellar signing for Newcastle down the road.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• blaydonracist

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

don’t want to be a first wanker, but yay, first

• NUFCWill1986

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Welcome to the toon

• JTOONJ

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Sounds like a “good” lad. pardon the pun

• Grafton83

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Sounds like he loves the city already.

Just reposting this bit of news:
    “Meanwhile, the Chronicle understands that Newcastle have offered Spanish flop Xisco £400,000 to leave United.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/08/01/newcastle-skipper-coloccini-is-cool-over-transfers-72703-31520861/#ixzz22Keo2XpD

• SupaToonKid

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Curtis sounds a top lad & great future prospect.

I hope we can finalise deals for Debuchy, Douglas, Anita & a CF (Remy would be amazing) soon, to take us to the next level & added quality Pardew talked about.

• Sholadona

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Seems like a really nice lad, hope he does well here!

• Graeme

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Glad he has settled in and enjoying life in Newcastle. One defender in, hopefully two more to go!!

Great win for the team as well.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Welcome Curtis ya little rippa 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM

How did he do today? anyone saw the game 🙂

• jayphoto

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Didn’t see it myself but heard he had an easy night! Apparantly amalfitano was the best player on the pitch by a mile! Scored a cracker too!

• GeordieToon89

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Rumour has it Amalfitano’s goal was Ben Arfa esque

• croftus5678

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

4-1 we won abied was played behind striker (were vukic played) and had a brilliant game scored 1 made another ect ect bigi did really well too

• JAMSHA

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

wat was the final score of tonights match?

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

It seems Alfi might turn out to be one hell of a signing 🙂

…and for less than £2M peanuts B-)

• jayphoto

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Interested to see how pardew sees vuckic this season! Got a feeling hel be used In a number 10 role! Personally think he could be a top play maker in a midfield 3, or diamond 4 playing a pirlo role! He needs players that cover the yards around him to make up for lack of pace! Even tho hes been poor in preseason, cnt help noticing his touch, passing and vision is very good

• GeordieAnt

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Lads…don’t want to get you too excited…but it looks like we might have upped our offer for Debuchy…it’s being reported by the mirror so I don’t know how reliable it is

Link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-transfers-mathieu-debuchy-bid-1200756

• croftus5678

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM

on vukic i’ve seen hi in 7-8 games inc this pre season and he’s never stood out but been told he’s brilliant !.
    all i know is from what i have seen he is definatly not a striker he looked very lost and un involved in pre season and think if anyone of our players deserves the chance if we dont get another striker it is sammy /abied or amalfitano by this display vukic should stick to cm imo.

• croftus5678

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

lille said they want 8mil straight without add ons cant remember wether that was euro’s or pounds though.
    think he will come ….in the end just newc want to get him as cheap as poss thats why its taking so long.

• Toon73

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

As an Aussie it’s great to see Curtis signed up on a 6 year deal with NUFC ! Will be keeping a close eye on his development…

From the previous link : Abeid smashed home a ferocious strike in the early stages and Amalfitano ran from inside his own half and beat two defenders before scoring the second.

• Toon73

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

It was 8mil euro which is just over 6mil pounds

• surreytoon

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

EUROPE | FOOTBALL | MERCATO
    Lille: New offer from Newcastle for Debuchy
    THE SPORT 10 | 01/08/12 | 22:30

As announced yesterday by le10sport.com , Newcastle sent a new offer today in Lille for Mathieu Debuchy.
    It has been revised upwards. While the first proposal of the Magpies was 6 million, including bonuses, it is this time of 6 million strong, with a percentage for resale to the LOSC. In this way, Newcastle is approaching the amount desired by the President of Lille, Michel Seydoux , who was 8 million, excluding bonuses. As it is, nothing has filtered the response of the Yankee club.
    With the percentage for resale, it is certain that Newcastle is more or less the bar set by the LOSC. But there is no evidence that the direction of Lille will do the same analysis.
    Response in the coming hours.
    alexandre.higounet @ le10sport. com and ludovic.vigier @ le10sport.com

redaction@le10sport.com

Tags: Newcastle | Mathieu Debuchy

• Conaldo

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Sure I said this yesterday, but I’m off to bed now to wake up tommorow and hopefully read the headline – Debuchy Fee Agreed – Dreamboat #2 Toonbound

• GeordieAnt

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well considering the article only appeared an hour ago…not much chance that you mentioned it yesterday lol

• Levi

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

DEBUCHY NEWS:

arrived in newcastle today and is set to have a medical 2moz(thursday) the source isnt the most reliable but they did post the bigirimana deal before quickly… make up your own mind

• Conaldo

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I mentioned it yesterday as we have been reportedly “close” to signing Debuchy for over a month now. My comment was irrespective of that article. I’ve mentioned it about 3 times now lol. Just trying to show how tedious this whole situation is.

• Conaldo

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Just realised possible cause of counfusion. The “Im sure I mentioned this yesterday” was related to the comment made in my post, about gannin to bed and waking up to news of his signin, not the article lol.

• RobertNufc25

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

BREAKING NEWS

Paul Scharner is training with Frankfurt in Germany.

Sorry lads…

• Conaldo

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Robert… You’ve just wrecked my world. ;( ;(
    Who’s going to break the news to Kets? He’s going to be so sad. Hopefully we can get Debuchy in to cheer him up.

• Conaldo

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM

On another note, I appear to have killed the blog… Again.

I do apologise

• pbNcl

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Has Scharner not just caught the wrong flight, like a week and a bit late. Thought we were still there and stumbled into the wrong training ground and got unfortunately snapped. Chin up lads easy mistake.

I see the big man signing anyday.

Or debauchy, that’ll do

• pbNcl

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

These new lads, amilfitano good and bigirimana. They look the business like. Bet they all dee a perch and gan crackers, and we all gan ”oh so we did sign some players haha”

Plus debauchy.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Heard amalfitano ran from inside our half and scored. And Abeid scored a cracker as well. Long shot pile driver.

Can’t wait to see the goals.

• Conaldo

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

PbNcl hope he has only caught the wrong flight. I was devastated when I read that news. Kets had me convinced he would be the best centre back in the prem.

• RobertNufc25

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Im sorry lads,Ha ha ha.

Ketsbia is in the process of self harming right this minute.

Seen it on twatter,had to break the bad news to ya”ll.lol

• RobertNufc25

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I hate it when people do the…

BREAKING NEWS shi*…

Couldnt resist it then.Ha

• Conaldo

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Robert…
    We will have to calm Kets down when he gets on. Remind him of that don’t shoot the messenger thing. For your safety.

• WLtoon

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Debuchy getting a medical tomorrow.

• pbNcl

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM

paul scharner can punch a tree in half. With his foot.

• RobertNufc25

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM

He’s probably reading this now.

Few people accused him of being a troll,so think he must be holding back on the comments.Lol

I like him myself

• pbNcl

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I just find paul scharner being in the conversation for a good few days now very entertaining. You can’t pass an opportunity to get involved haha

Mad these days without proper football on a football blog. Creases me up most days