Will It Be A Breakthrough Season For This Newcastle Youngster?

Haris Vuckic had been one of Newcastle’s top youngsters ever since he arrived in January of 2009 from Slovenien club NK Domzale, and even since he’s been on Tyneside, the 6’3″ midfielder has been linked with some top clubs,  including Manchester United.

Haris Vuckic – in action against Den Haag on Saturday

Haris will turn 20 later this month and there comes a time in every young player’s career when it is time to show through, otherwise you will not make it to the top levels.

We always remember how Geordie lad Michael Chopra was heralded as a future Alan Shearer on Tyneside, and when he reached 20 years old had played for the England U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 sides and was expected to become a big player, even at International level.

But it didn’t happen, and the local lad finally moved to Cardiff City,  and while he has been a good Championship striker, he’s not at the very highest class, and he is now at Ipswich Town, having been at Cardiff City and Sunderland before that.

For the record Michael played 28 times for the Newcastle first team with 3 goals.

We only mention Chopra’s case because Haris is getting to that age now when he must show through, otherwise he may not become a footballer who can play at the highest levels of the game.

Vuckic was born in Ljubljana in 1992, and has played for the full Slovenian side once last February in Scotland, and he has looked good in pre-season training for the Magpies, and started the game at Den Haag last Saturday.

No doubt Alan Pardew is hoping he can come through big time for Newcastle this season, and for the record Haris has 12 appearances so far for the Newcastle first team.

The 19-year-old, speaking to Newcastle’s official website, had this to say about last Saturday’s game at Den Haag:

“”I played more of a holding role.” “In the four games I have played this pre-season I have played in a lot of different roles.”  “This one meant I had to drop a lot more, so I had to change my mentality a bit, but I think it was okay.”

“It was good that I got a chance again, and that I can show that I can do it.”  “Playing in the different roles can only help me. I’m a player who can play in a lot of different positions and it is good if you can step in wherever you are needed.”

“It gives me plenty of experience, so hopefully I will get some more chances and I will do my maximum.”  “We had a lot of chances and the only thing that was missing was a goal.”

“If we scored early on then I think it would have opened the game up and we would have won easily.”  “But they kept a clean sheet, we kept a clean sheet and it was very important that we didn’t concede.”

“Because we created so many chances, the goals will come. With the strikers we have, you know they will always score goals.”

It’s good that Haris can play in different positions, and he makes a good point there, because it’s when you are not creating chances that it becomes worrisome.

But Newcastle are creating the chances, and we have strikers in Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse who are as good as any in the Premier League, and can put the ball in the back of the net, and they just need more games to get fully match fit.

Haris Vuckic is one of a few young Newcastle players – Mehdi Abeid and Sammy Ameobi are two others – who should be showing though in the coming season,  otherwise they could become like Michael Chopra.

Don’t get me wrong about Michael, who has made a good living in football and he’s a good player, but he just didn’t make it to the highest levels in the game, as expected.

We hope Haris Vuckic can do that, and we may know the answer to that next May.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• NUFCWill1986

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I really like him

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Damn! Cwarr hasn’t posted since yesterday. He probably in a meeting with ashley now, discussing who we’ve signed, and when he can release the info on twitter. Don’t know where we’d all be without him.

• pardew no 1

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

if he plays like he did against west brom then yes he will make it

• Dannyo

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Vuckic is a gentle soul. A few lessons with Tiote should toughen him up. That’s what he needs imo.

• rainrix

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Im surprised Cwarrs still going tbh. It takes a special kind of idiot to keep posting the amount of bull he does 😉

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I think its because he has such a wide range of bullsh*t, just like sky tv I suppose!

• cadete

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Naw the lad just ain’t good enough!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Could become a top player but so many injuries hamper his development.

He could have been twice the player he currently is if he could have stayed fit.

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I seem to recall he spurned a few chances v Fenerbache. Got in the right area, just didn’t seem to know what to do.

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

@ transfer sage, you should change the ‘e’ on the end of your name to an ‘a’. Its more fitting for current affairs 😀

• Colo-Sus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

For me the Most Important attributes for a TOP player are; First Touch and Decision making, I think Vuckic has the first one, he just needs to make smarter decisions on the ball, and not try and be a hero every time he gets it.
    I think he will come through given a clear run without injuries and minutes under his belt.

• AMEOBI

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Happy birthday Indian Magpie, nice to see you’re back even as reading.

I’m off to game tonight, would be nice to see them play properly, hopefully a lot of goals! 😀

• Colo-Sus

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Btw I really think Debuchy deal is dead in the water.

Garcia seems a right t*@t and a stubborn one too.

Transfer Sage….Your srtike rate with transfers is dreadful btw mate haha, More like Sage and Onion

• smithy434

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Anyone got a link to website or can name the clubs we could get in the draw on Friday?

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I’m not convinced by this fella. Appreciate I havent seen as much as some of you recently, but I think he panics a bit on the ball. Hope he comes through. I’m not sure how athletic he is, but he is certainly big and strong.

• croftus5678

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i really want this lad to do well after years of hearing how good he is but not seeing it when i have seen him play (apart from once last season in a pre friendly where he scored and played well for 75mins) apart from that i have seen him play maybe 10 or so games and he’s looked ..well….not amazing you could say maybe its the big screen that gets to his nerves i have no idea!.
    but he should be battle hardened by now after a few loans but he needs to motivate himself or he will fall ever further back behind the new recruits.

• GeordieJordy

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I want him to! I was actually gonna get his name on my strip last season as i was so confident that it would be his season. Didn’t in the end cause the shop has no letter “C”s left hahaha

• JDdubai

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Right now Im not convinced, seems like the West Brom game was a 1 off. It proved he has ability in there but remember Pancrate? Wonder goal on his debut and we know how it went after that.

Hopefully he will come through but I’ve seen a lot more poor performances than good ones, yes he is young but he is nearly 20 now, in the modern day thats not THAT young anymore.

Time will tell. 1 thing for sure is he shouldnt play wide left, far too slow and not mobile enough. Needs to be centre mid to begin with, then possibly in the future play behind the CF if he develops.

• GeordieJordy

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

New Papiss Cisse video if anyone is interested.

• BarcelonaMag

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I agree with what others have suggested: it’s not quite clear what position he’s supposed to be. Pardew has tended to play him as an advanced midfielder, but I don’t think he cuts it there. Perhaps moving him back might help.