Alan Pardew – We’ll Soon Have A Great Squad

It’s hard to know exactly what to make of the current situation on transfers at Newcastle, with our exploits so far this summer yielding nothing, zilch,  in terms of senior players coming through the door.

Alan Pardew – we’ll have a great squad

Newcastle have tried to bring Mathieu Debuchy, Douglas, Vurnon Anita and Andy Carroll to Newcastle this summer, but so far have come up with nothing to show for the efforts, although there were reports in the Dutch press last night  that Newcastle could sign Ajax midfielder Vurnon Anita by Friday, but how true that is we have no idea.

Alan Pardew had hoped to have brought in one and maybe even  two players last week, but nothing materialized, and his word to Newcastle fans is to keep patient.

Romain Amalfitano, Curtis Good and Gael Bigirimana have all been excellent signings,  and we paid just less than about £1.5M for the three of them,  and that has to look very good value for money, having now seen all three of them play.

But we think Newcastle’s squad is stronger than it was this time last year, with youngsters like James Tavernier, Mehdi Abeid, Sammy Ameobi, Haris Vuckic and Dan Gosling all having improved from last year, and we also have the three new recruits to further fortify the squad.

This is what Alan had to say in the Shields Gazette today:

“My message would just to be patient,”  “We’ve got a great side, and a great underbelly to the team.”  “If we add one or two, or even three, we’ll have a great squad.”

The transfer window runs out three weeks come Monday, and if we can get a full back, center-back and striker through the door by then, we should be in great shape, as Alan says, and then we’ll find out if we have improved from last season, once the new term gets underway.

Comments welcome.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ok Alan Pardew, i’m waiting and being patient.

• Markaccus

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

FB either side. CB. CF. That will do.

• Beattie25

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Bambams

I don’t like you.

Thought I’d get it out of the way.

Your doom mongering is laughable given the fact the Pardew was probably responding to a question from a journo asking for more detail about Good.

Pards said he can play LB as well. This was an insight into the player and you take that and presume that we can’t sign anyone and that Good is our LB cover and blah blah I fell asleep.

Get your head out off your inflamed anus and stop smelling your own crap

• Super Magpie

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

We’ve been waiting for 2months, are you trying to drive us all insane?

• Dannyo

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I don’t sense last summer frustration when we didn’t get that 2nd striker through the door. AP seems content, and if he’s content, then we should be too.
    Altho it’s bloody hard.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Anita
    Debuchy
    Remi
    Douglas

I’ll be happy with that. We will still need an attacking midfielder and a fourth striker.

• Beattie25

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Got to agree with Pards here as that I what I and many others have been saying since January!

• Super Magpie

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Beattie

That bit at the end Made me giggle abit. 😀

• Markaccus

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That’s very succinctly put, beattie, and very colourful! However, I can’t disagree, as I also tire of comments being taken out of context, and doom and gloom mongers.

• Beattie25

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Swear to god this iPhone is going through the window in a minute.

Stop predicting my words you illiterate a.I. son of a bitch.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m first…ok i’m a bit miffed and disappointed. This moment of bring first especially for the first time had been bigged up by so many on here that ever singe I have been dreaming of this day and finally it arrives and…nothing. What was all the fuss about???

• Super Magpie

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Kets

I doubt we’ll sign 4 players especially if Remy will cost around £12-15m.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Being*
    Since*

• wynsleap

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Ed – I think you already made a statement a few days ago about the squad being stronger this season and quite a few on here including myself disagreed with you.
    By keeping on saying it doesn’t make it true.
    Give us Debuchy (or Van der Wiel), Douglas, Anita and another good quality striker THEN we’ll have a better squad this time round but not until then as far as I’m concerned.

• Markaccus

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Kets, your list of players gets longer by the day. We don’t need 6 first team signings!

• tequilamag

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Mutiny , dont worry mate the prize is a free season ticket. Should get it in the post in next few days

• Dannyo

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

@JimmyMagpie
    Tav is probably more suited as FB, i don’t doubt that. But i reckon he showed in portgual thathe can do a makeshift role at CB. He’s got a good jump on him, and being one of pace he can make up for mistakes in time on some sitations.
    I liked the look of him at CB, altho on the ball, he’ll be comfy wherever, even as an RW me thinks.
    My only concern for him at CB, would have to be if he drifts forward too much. U can go far as FB, but need to always position yourself defensivly at CB, as u dont want to stretch the backroom too much then be caught out.
    Again tho, he has the pace to make up for it.

• tequilamag

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

wynsleap, ed is not MA its not down to him to sign players

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I know Pardew would like to get some first team players over the line; who wouldn’t 😉

But there is a difference between wanting something and getting something.

My fear is we won’t get any first team players – Debuchy was the obvious one and that doesn’t look to happen.

We might sign a few more development players, but as for the first team we might have to brace ourselves for the worse 🙁

My hopes are a CB 🙂 …anyway I think we can cope until January if the worse does happen.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Teq
    I sense trickery and deciet.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Still want a CB.

Am okay with Simmo as he is solid in defence, regardless of his lack of attacking style but
    would really like Anita in as he adds so much tactically.
    Am less bothered about CF if we use Amal and Gabby in that nippy striker role. If either of them comes good 2012/3 we will tear defences apart.

I like the way Cabaye and Tiote are gonna bring Bigi on and reckon part of the strategy is to get consistency as our top guys will breed quality in the youngsters.

Kets

Please stop the Panini approach.
    Trading cards is not the same as real players and you are totally unrealistic.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Wynsleap…Whereas if you keep saying it isn’t makes it true? Each person is entitled to view things differently, saying it over and over does not make it true, no matter which side of the argument you’re on.

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

whenever I hear this Panini approach I get hungry 😉 I don’t know why lol

• jimmymagpie

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Danyo – Pardew has no option – if thay won’t sign the players, he has to be content, but if he is, he’s contradicting what he himself has been saying ever since the end of last season about the defence being a top priority, especially centre back.If we don’t buy decent centre back and full back, we’ll regret it big time.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Would you guys prefer to see Perch depping as CB or Tav ?

No brainer … Perch is versatile but is no CB, DM sure
    Tav seems to be playing CB with more assurance even though he may prefer FB

• Dannyo

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

@wynsleap
    What foot did u get up on in the morning.
    We’ve not removed one blue chip player and added super talents from various leagues which they’ve excelled in.
    All the players will be more gelled, we’ll start the season with HBA and Cisse, pre-season has been better, and the underbelly, as AP states, is very strong now with the new additions.
    We can get stronger yes, but we’re currently allot stronger than last season.
    I’ve only read u saying we’re not, so i dunno who else u’re including in your little gang there.

• Markaccus

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

MFH, panini approach no good? What? Even if I get a rare, shiney version of Paul Scharner?!?!

• tequilamag

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Mutiny, OK i lied , if what i said was true Indian Magpite would have all of the Leazes end by now

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I would accept if we only got a cb as I think we would then be able to cope till January espec sincr it’s unlikely we will lose cisse and BA to acon. And the midfield and full backs should be ok

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Jimmy

Agree … I actually think the CB is the most important of the summer signings.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Lemons

Trade it quick

• Graeme

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

What Pardeau says is probably correct, but its what he has been saying for three months, which seems like a year already!!

Get Anita and a good FB signed up and it would no longer be a dream!! Time to extract digit and sign some contracts – use a pen, not the extracted digit though!!

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I’m afraid we do. Simpson is the worst defender in the league. Would rather have Chris Gunter in our team than him.

If we fail to sign Remy, I’d like us to go for Konate for £2m.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

sorry markaccus

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Centre back is Perch’s best position. He is 3rd choice at the moment behind Coloccini and Saylor.

• jonny-intense

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Personally, I think the squad is stronger this season. Amalfitano is twice the player Guthrie will ever be and will be able to actually play for more than 60 minutes. I liked guthrie but he was unfit. We need another young striker but we could also have the next best thing in the development squad. I say we should sure up the defence with at least a centre back and see how we go until January.

We always bang on abotu how good our youngsters are going to be – time to step in my opinion.

• Dannyo

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

@JimmyMagpie
    Aye, i too want that blue chip CB, it’s inevitable thatSaylor will get crocked again, sadly. As AP previously said tho, it has to be a goalscoring one.
    Holding out for that one player is a bit of a trademark for us.
    What choice do we have but being patient to?
    CB, LB and a striker for me still. A versatile midfielder…good, but my 4th choice area of improving.

• jonny-intense

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Perch is not a centre back, at all.

• tequilamag

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Kets did your mother drop you on your head as a baby.

• jimmymagpie

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Magpies – I would rather not see either at centre back, nor Willo to be honest. Colo needs strong physical presence next to him, preferably with a bit of pace. Changing tack, am I the only one who would like to see a decent young keeper, because the thought of anything happening to Krul, ane Elliot or Harper having to play frightens me.