I Don’t Want To Single Anyone Out – But Sylvain Was Great

Alan Pardew may be disappointed that Newcastle haven’t signed any of their big transfer targets this summer, but he seems extremely positive about things right now, and of course in the last two pre-season games Newcastle have dominated the games at Den Haag and Hartlepool.

Alan Pardew – impressed with many performances on Tuesday

And while the lads were frustrated a little in Holland and didn’t score, the flood gates opened a little at Hartlepool on Tuesday night, and Newcastle won that game 5-1 and were three goals up after only twelve minutes.

And not only that, but some of our fringe players were outstanding in that game, including Shola Ameobi before he went off injured just before half time, and two of our French wingers Sylvain Marveaux and Romain Amalfitano also had very impressive games.

Pardew had this to say today in the Newcastle Journal:

“It was important to get three games in the first week or so we were back because it’s vital we are up to speed and that I can pick and choose any player I want to for games.”  “And when I look at the group who played at Hartlepool, I have to say that I could put any of those players into the first-team. They really played well and passed the ball so crisply.”

“We really enjoyed playing on a good pitch because we’ve played on a few thick pitches over the summer; the ball ran a bit faster and that suited us. We had some excellent performances.”  “We are trying to instill more of a passing game and I thought that showed the other night. We really moved the ball around quickly and I’m sure the fans enjoyed it.”

“I don’t want to single anyone out in particular because they were all very, very good.” “But Sylvain was great. Romain had his best game since joining us and he is getting into tune with what we are doing.”  “His work rate was terrific. Life is easier when everyone works hard.” “Gabby got a fantastic goal. That was a high-class strike that will do him the world of good and should make him a lot more confident.”

“We want him to be more positive in the team and he showed this pre-season that he’s got that in him. I was very pleased with his little cameo.”    “And it was good to see Hatem Ben Arfa get the second-half on Tuesday. He got a little taste on Tuesday night and we are getting him up to speed.”

In our poll for Man of the Match on Tuesday night, Sylvain Marveaux is ahead rather handily with 54% of the vote followed by Romain on 18%, Shola on 9% and new boy Gael Bigirimana on 5%, and the former Coventry City midfielder again showed what a good player he already is.

Newcastle will play at Cardiff City tomorrow afternoon in the final pre-season game, before we take on  Tottenham Hotspur on 18th August, in what promises to be a very tough first couple of weeks of the season.

We have two two qualifying games in Europe on August 23rd and August 30th, and if we get through the tie, we’ll be in the group stages of the Europa League, and e’ll know our opponents when the draw is made around 12:30 pm today.

But we have been very impressed with some of  our youngsters in mid-season, which is one reason why we think the squad is stronger than it was at this time last year.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• roadfighter

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

If Sylvain can stay fit, he will be supreme for NUFC this season !!!

• pardews plan B

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:04 AM

@roadwarrior i think so too. Pretty much a new signing

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Roadfighter….He’s looking really good. Hope he and Stevie can silence some the fitness concerns this year. Those 2 staying injury free will help us dramatically across the season.

• Klatoon

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM

IMO marveaux’s a new signing. That LW spot should be his this season.

• roadfighter

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM

not to mention that it will piss LFC off even more after he “failed a medical” and joined us 🙂 signed on a free and what a signing he could prove to be…

• bambams

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Marv is a very good player and there is no doubt he has improved the team
    love seeing players run at defenders and this lad can beat them no problem

• Graeme

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Agree that the squad is looking good and the new young players are producing performances above expectations.

Just think how much better prepared we could be with the addition of Debuchy or Mbiwa, Douglas and Anita?
    It would add strength in depth and give us lots of options in attack and in defence!!

• ajcrawfs

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I am thinking of putting Marveux in my fantasy football because he is so cheap and most people wont realize how good he is. does anyone think he will play the first game? surely he has to play after recent pre-season performances

• Toon73

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I don’t want to single anyone out….but I will anyway 🙂

• Ian Toon

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Ibiza – please see last Ed post –

• MC Brown

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM

we should start are best team 2moro . marveaux should be given a chance to shine with the rest of the first team . if he plays well 2moro then he will start ahead of benny. not a bad sub by the way .

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

aj…Good idea. I’m struggling with the premier fantasy league rule of only 3 players from one team. I want more of our lads.

Krul
    Coloccini
    Cabaye
    Marv
    Cisse

HBA and Taylor would be contenders, but I’m not convinced of when Pardew will be starting them.

Think i’ll have to go with Krul, Cabaye and Cisse, but don’t feel right leaving the Captain out.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Watched the highlights on nufctv and we played some great stuff….amalfitano looks really classy and gosling was pinging the ball around well…if he stays injury free then maybe hes good enough to fill guthries boots.

• outsidethebox

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

graeme @ 6 ..agree with all comments .all defenders …hope ap listens to concerns re strengthening at the back ..noticed jake alnick on bench hartlepool …krull loss would be disaster…

• ajcrawfs

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

i’ve gone for krul, marv and colo, but i think i am going to regret not putting cisse in

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Ian…Got it, thanks and replied. Wishing you a fabulous Friday.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hmmm…Don’t think I thought that one threw.

Ian….Got it and replied, thanks. Wishing you a fabulous Friday.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Just seen the Gaurdian’s premier league preview for Newcastle

Predict us to finish 7th. Probably a fair prediction and Guardian were the most accurate out of all the papers last season.

BUT

Out of curiosity I then go to scout Liverpool’s and they have them to finish 5th???????

Im not saying NEVER. But I question reporters these days. If they are being reserved about Newcastle this season then what reason have they got to assumer Liverpool are going to be any better?

They have a p!55 weak squad. Are likely to loose Bellamy (a key player last season) and currently have little in the way of a proper striker. Not to mention they are also in Europa. Gerrard will likely get injured (always does).

WHEN WILL PEOPLE SEE LIVERPOOL FOR WHAT THEY ARE. They coast on past glorys but get the attention and praise of a top four club all the time.

It makes my blood boil because Newcastle gets nowhere near enough attention and praise it deserve as an institution in the game. We may not have won owt but there’s no denying we are a big team in terms of support. We just dont whore ourselves out like they do.

I tell you, if I had a pound for every time I see a Liverpool fan that has some really naff merchandise i’d be a very rich man. Ive seen 40 year olds with bright red wallets (what is a 40 year old doing with a child’s wallet).

I really hope MA’s business tact can raise this club out of their shadow.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

aj…I think you will too 😉 – There’s always the transfer window though.

Outside…I would be devastated if Krul had a lengthy period of time out. With or without new defenders the guy is a big reason we’re where we are at the moment. Great young keeper already and still has more to learn.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

*through….Apparently my bad spelling is going to carry on throughout the week. Excellent.

• nico

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I was at Hartlepool and have caught most of the pre-season games on TV. The younger players have done excellent and will play a big part thios season. Marv looks class as well.
    Here is a QUESTION
    Do you think Mike Ash is waiting to see if we qualify for the group stages of Europa League before buying anyone?
    Seems to me like he thinks like that as we could make anywhere between 5-15 mil if we do well in the comp.

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

LGFUAD

It was the same in 4-4-2 magazine. It really annoys me.

Ibiza

How can you do this to me? I thought we had something special, the. I check you messages and your all over that Ian fellow. I know I wasn’t always the best for you but I tried and I changed and I thought it was forever. But youve made your choice.

Ian

Take care of him.

• toon smart

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Regarding transfers i think our policy seems to work out as follows:
    1. Shortlist is put together, with 2-3 players for each position we are looking for.
    2. Bids are made early in the transfer window for each of the top ranked players on the shortlist
    3. If bids are accepted – player is signed
    4. If bids are rejected – negotiations are attempted but there is a maximal price that will be paid for each of the players.
    5. If there is still no agreement, the club will wait until the end of the transfer window before attempting to do final deals for the top ranked players on the shortlist.
    6. If agreements can be made then players can be signed.
    7. However is no agreement is possible for the top ranked players, it is only then that the club will try for the next player down on the shortlist.

To me if this is how the procedure works it can explain why there is not much happening between the early part of the transfer window and why there is such a flurry of activity at the end of the transfer window.

So in my view, i don’t think anything will happen until deadline day because at that point the club can still drive hard for a “bargain” or the best price possible for the player.

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Fantasy football team.

You should pick Steven Taylor over Colo.

Taylor is a better goal threat and will score 8 goals of not injured!

• Robby Bobson

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Anyonr know the crack with tickets for tomorrow? Aint on the official site

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

LGFUAD….They have made some great signings over the past 12 months though 🙂

• Graeme

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Outsidethebox @14 Two are out and out defenders – our desperately needed FB & CB.

Anita has great vision and distribution skills as well as being and excellent DM. Alongside Tiote, it would be like a wall in front of the back four to strengthen the defence; It also frees Dreamboat for a much more creative role, possibly the base of a 4 man diamond up front. with Ben Arfa and Marvey out wide with either Cisse / Ba / Bambi up front.

• headtheball

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Howay Ed
    You didn’t mention mercurial Marveaux’s Silky Skills.

• SupaToonKid

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Toon Smart

That seems a pretty good theory of our transfer policy.

LGFUAD21

The best prediction for me was the Racing Post as they placed us 5th 🙂 above Spurs & Liverfool 😀

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

Aye. That Dalglish. What a phenomenal manager.

Just want to put it out there. I called it when he was first installed again that he would fail. A guy that had been out of management for a decade. And then it was at Celtic where he didnt do much (Managing Celtic must be the easiest job going). He has done nowt since winning the league with Blackburn.

A grumpy bitter old man. Caught in the Liverpool myopia with his blind defence of players.

Anyway on other points, before I give myself a coronary with all this Liverpool talk.

I though MA was planning on investing about £16m into our academy. So its a bit worrying that we failed to achieve status 1 academy.

• pardews plan B

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Marvelous marveaux on the left
    brilliant benny on the right
    captain Colo at the back
    cisse scores when he wants
    cabaye dazzles the opposition with his looks.
    We can’t fail

• headtheball

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Someone on a previous thread was saying NUFC could take some pointers from the British cycling team as they have improved enormously. NOT helmets because there is a team down the road full of them. Daffy knows which team I mean.

• Offkey

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I suppose Motherwell may be a good draw for us……any other shouts

• pardews plan B

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

@lgf a blackburn side which had a large cash injection too. Celtic job is really a dead cert as a manager

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Guys,

Gonna throw this out there.

Everyday since what feels like May we have been linked with this person or that, the daily rags guessing who we are after, journos pulling names out of their arses at random.

But for the past few days it has gone eerily quiet. Just how nufc like it. There doesn’t seem to be any links at all other than a change of agent for Anita.

Could this silence mean thunder is around the corner. It gives me déjà vou over previous signings in particular Cisse.

• pardews plan B

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

@beattie the rags were gonna run out of bullsh!t eventually

• BoomBoom

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Marv looks class from what I’ve seen. Really excited to have someone to cause trouble on the left side. I can see guiti getting left out now mind you. Would much rather see him playing left back and wanton right. He plays the for Argentina, so knows the position well. It also means we don’t have to wait on a bunny boiler club (Lille) to let Debuchy move on!!

I hope to see us playing 442 with cabaye going forward with HBA, Marv and the two dembas!! We’ll score 4 a game!!!

HWTL

• nico

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hope we don’t play 4-4-2. The 2 Demba’s up front don’t really work.

• nico

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

4-2-3-1
    That the way to go. Start with Cisse then replace with Ba when tired.
    Will Pards be bold enough to do this though?