Latest Newcastle Transfer Update

This summer has been a lot different than last summer, when we brought Yohan Cabaye, Mahdi Abeid, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba  Ba into the club before Saturday 18th June, a day I remember very well for various reasons.

Mathieu Debuchy – Newcastle still interested?

This year we have so far signed three young players in Romain Amalfitano, Gael Bigirimnana and Curtis Good, but they all look like they will turn out to be excellent signings for the club, and they cost only £1.4M for all three.

Good business by Newcastle, but it seems that other clubs are becoming wise to Newcastle in the transfer market and are demanding higher fees for their players.

That’s maybe because the transfer people at Newcastle – Alan Pardew, Graham Carr, Derek LLambias, Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley – are so good, that when they go after any player they must be good, even better than their clubs think – so they raise the price.

With deals we got for Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and others over the last few years, it’s small wonder that other clubs will try to get more money off a surprisingly successful Newcastle club, considering where we were a short three years ago.

In case you had forgotten – we were down and out, and wondering whether we could survive in the Championship in the upcoming season – but thanks to Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew and others,  Newcastle are flying high.

Newcastle have done fantastically well these last three seasons, but we haven’t come up trumps with any of our top targets this summer so far, and there’s also very little news around, about where we are in our pursuit of Mathieu Debuchy, Vurnon Anita, Douglas and Andy Carroll.

We think Newcastle will be willing to go with what we have at center-back with James Perch – the great Perchinho – and Curtis Good backing up Colo, Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson, and if Douglas sees out the last year of his contract at FC Twente, expect Newcastle to try to get him in as a free agent next summer.

Or even pay out a nominal fee in January to ensure they get him.

Vernon Anita – he’ll join Newcastle or Milan or stay put at Ajax
Ask me another

That would not be unlike our pursuit of the great Papiss Cisse, and that turned out very well, even though Newcastle fans were frustrated we didn’t bring in a top striker last summer for a fee – to replace big Andy.

Where we are on the Debuchy saga we have no idea, but we think Newcastle are still interested, and the next week should decide where Vurnon Anita ends up, with Newcastle in with a decent chance, but it seems that AC Milan are also interested.

And then Andy Carroll seems to be settling in at Anfield, so we don’t know what could happen there, but don’t be surprised if Newcastle go in for him on the very last day of the transfer market – Monday 2nd September – to try to get him on a loan deal, with the option to get him permanently next May.

Nothing seems to be happening with Marseilles striker Loic Remy, but it’s when things are quiet that Newcastle will announce something big, and we trust they are working hard behind the scenes to try to get two or three new players through the door.

So things can still work out well for Newcastle this summer,  but trying to be patient when nothing seems to be happening can be difficult – at least for me it is.

Here’s hoping.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• Ewokshatemackems

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

• SupaToonKid

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ed’s too quick repost:

Toon Smart

That seems a pretty good theory of our transfer policy.

LGFUAD21

The best prediction for me was the Racing Post as they placed us 5th above Spurs & Liverfool

• SuperShearer

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Ed, love the site, work in online journalism so appreciate the need for adverts….but the fact I can’t mute all the advert at the bottom means I gotta leave the blog when at work as it just keeps talking at me.

• SupaToonKid

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hopefully a very busy on transfer front next week

• mr.guilfoyle@hotmail.co.uk

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

no further signings unless we sell a star for a massive fee. can`t see that happening either. so what we`ve got is what we`ve got. htl

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Guys,

Gonna throw this out there.

Everyday since what feels like May we have been linked with this person or that, the daily rags guessing who we are after, journos pulling names out of their arses at random.

But for the past few days it has gone eerily quiet. Just how nufc like it. There doesn’t seem to be any links at all other than a change of agent for Anita.

Could this silence mean thunder is around the corner. It gives me déjà vou over previous signings in particular Cisse.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Top 5……
    1. Yanga- Mbwia -E5m
    2. Debuchery -E7m
    3. Vurnon Anita -E8m
    4. Yoan Gouffran -E3m
    5. Loic Remy -E18m
    So were only E41m from pure class success…..or £32.3m i.e. Andy Carroll fee money. Prudence is prudence but sometimes you’ve got to speculate to accumulate! LOL

• Made a ma beed

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM

GK,RB,CB and striker, then we are set to go!

• jonny-intense

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I use an ad blocker on my home computer but am reading the blog in the library at Uni. I just want to say that I feel sorry for those who have to stare at Baconchops’ saggy face day in day out on the Sky Sports advert – it’s enough to tip someone over the edge!

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ewokshatemachems

Just have to say that is a fantastic name.

GET ANITA SIGNED UP.

THE LAD IS QUALITY.

For anyone who is interested there are a bunch on videos on youtube that someone has put together showing every touch of his from bunch of Ajax games. I watched him in half these games when they were on. But the videos do actually give a good gauge as to how this guy can dominate a midfield and keep possession. Better than you usual compilation videos.

A player I heard us linked with yesterday that I hadnt in a while was Ola Toivonen. He’s be pretty good to have as an option up front. Strong on the ball, good finish, provides aerial threat and a good work rate. Can play as a striker and in the hole. As well as CAM. Can be a target man but also has some pace (not blistering pace but faster than Ba/Cisse) as well as some dribbling skills. The guy has decent all around ability. But his aerial threat is silly for a guy with that much skill along the ground.

I’d take him if he can be brought in on the cheap.

• pawl250

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Personally I would like to see Debuchy and Douglas through the door.

I perosnally think we can have a decent season with the squad we have, but in no way will we improve on last years 5th place.

Given we may have Europe (Havent qualified yet), the domestic cups (no doubt we are going to be interested in winning a cup this year) and then the league we have ALOT of games to play.

I think our current team is good enough for a cup run, top 10 finish. But would you be happy with this?

I mean add Debuchy and Douglas I would say a cup run and top 7 finish. Thats more like it, and yes 2 players can make that difference. I look at Simpson and Williamson and I see potential backup, a player who will come in and do a job to a certain extent. For these players to play every game we need to win they make too many errors, far to many!

We have to be realistic and say Debuchy and Douglas will not get us CL unless we either win Europa League, or have no cup runs and focus only on the PL.

I would be happy with 7-10th and a cup. I would be over joyed! For anyone expecting 4th and a cup you really are in dream land. 1 good season isnt an accomplished club in the top 6.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea all had poor seasons really. Had Spurs kept the form in the first half they could have contended for the title. Chelsea started slow. Arsenal seemed off pace. And I think Liverpool are now very average, but we cannot say they are going to be a mid table side just yet.

We have alot of work cut out to expect a repeat of last season, alot of things went our way allowing us to finish that way. Call it luck, but we have an opportunity to play European football, and for me I would put all efforts into that as the prize alone is CL football, something that could make dreams into reality given the clear advantage you have just being in the competition.

I would like to think we will sign Debuchy and Douglas this window, I just have a funny feeling we will get maybe 1 unknown and thats it!

I dont think thats a bad thing we still have a decent squad and can perform at a high standard just may not be high enough. Also I have to think what effect it will have on the likes of Tiote, Cabaye, Cisse potentially thinking the club are happy with mid table status.

Its alot to think about, those that read this I would like to know your opinion.

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Spreadthetoon

I agree and have been saying that for a long time. You DO have to speculate to accumulate!

I’d even go as far as saying that we only need 3 of those players! 20 million and we’d be there or there abouts. If Ashley fails to free up funds then I will never ever forgive the man.

We are on the cusp of something incredible and I will live forever thinking what could have been if we miss the opportunity to spend little money and compete against those that spend ridiculous amounts.

Chelski spent over 30 million on one player. If we spend 20 on 3 I think we’d have the better team.

Saying this I have only a tiny doubt that we won’t strengthen so I am confident that one of the smartest British business men isn’t so stupid.

• toon smart

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

SupaToonKid

Thanks for the kind comment.

I still think it will stay quiet until the last day of the transfer window, unless one of the other clubs blinks first and a agree to Newcastles terms

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Anita is superb.

Debuchy would upgrade RB, Doiglas would upgrade CB cover, Anita would upgrade the entire team.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Beattie25

A keen acknowledgement. It’s Friday. Thats a good day to announce a transfer. It’ll be an unknown though.

SupaToonKid

It’s not so much the position we finish that gets me. It’s just the shaky logic that we will struggle to keep up while Liverpool are somehow going to improve vastly. Baring in mind Chelsea and Arseanl will be stronger. Liverpool were a fair bit behind us. 13 points if i remember correctly.

it’s like last season when most papers predicted us to come 16th or something and Liverpool were being tipped for 2nd or 3rd in the league. Too many Liverpool fans work in journalism. It blinds their objectivity.

We may not have signed anyone, but we havent lost anyone and surely with the youth coming through and last summer signings now adapting to the Prem you’d have to think we are in a stronger position than last August?

• Beattie25

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I see that we could play Anzhi Mackalacakahaakacaha of Russia with Eto’o, Samba an co.

That would be a disaster!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Beattie…I agree, it has gone quiet…let’s hope that means they’re busy and have their targets and those associated silenced until signing.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Beattie….We have Shola, WIllo and co….Fear not 🙂

• hoppernufc

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Europa league draw today, well be playing one of these teams, FC Vaslui (Romania)
    Atromitos FC (Greece)
    Anzhi Makhachkala (Russia)
    Tromsø IL (Norway)
    Neftçi PFK (Azerbaijan), I hope we dont draw anzhi as they have some class players but we should defo qualify against any of the other teams,

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Beattie25

Well said. I think out all all the links we’ve had. Anita is the one that could have the greatest effect on the whole team.

Really excited for this new 4-2-3-1 Pardew looks to be going for.

I dont think we can imrove on last seasons place. But I think at a push with 3 good signings we can maintain it. Dependent on our youth development. If we can strengthen defence, we are less likely to be affected by EL fatigue.

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

@SuperShearer

Addblocker 😀

I use Opera and it works like a charm 😀

• martoon

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Beattie @6 that is a very good theory and I hope you are right. Andy Carroll story has gone very quiet also – I noticed he was an unused sub last night – might be significant might be nothing.

• Graeme

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Good Morning Beattie25 – if we can have 3 players, please can we have Debauchery or Mbiwa with Douglas and Anita pretty please??

They would make an immense difference to our prospects for the next season and all three would cost us way under £20 million, for sure.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I just hope we can edge one of the big teams this season again. SO finish at least 6th meaning we will have placed above Liverpool or Tottenham again. That would cement us up there with the big boys. And should be enough to get us EL again. Cant imagine and English team doing CL again. City at a push. But Chelsea were very lucky.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM

martoon

You have to read into the Carroll thing a bit. They clearly dont want him Cup tied.

Personally I dont want him. Im over him being Judas. Its because I simply dont rate him that much anymore.

• tequilamag

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Morning all. Still all quiet on the transfer front. But to put in perspective none of the top players gone either. I would rather we hang on for top targets than just sign someone for signings sake, even though the frustration levels are rising. Good draw today, good performance tomorrow and a signing or two and we will all be happy as a mackem baby sucking on a greggs sausage roll.

• mushy

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Clarification required.

I was happily working on the assumption that the transfer window closed on the evening of August 31st. Ed has just thrown a spanner in my works by saying it’s Monday Sept 2nd.

I need to know, so I can tell my wife when I’ll see her next.

Time and date please someone.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

LGFUAD….Did you rate anyone from Liverpool last season? They definitely have some good players in the team but no one performed well for them last year.

I think Carroll at the right team would see him getting back to his ways, whether that’s with us though remains to be seen.

I agree, would love to finish about one of them again, it’s good for bragging rights and stops the whole ” you were just lucky” brigade. No, we’re there because we deserve to be.

• pawl250

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Does anyone think a possible reason for the success Newcastle had last season was down to low expectations.

And then ultimately low pressure on the team to be allowed to perform.

I mean if we start demanding 4th spot when clearly we arent fitted for it, then perhaps relegation didnt teach everyone a lesson, which was needed!

Back off the team, the board, manager they have done a good job, without your expectations. Just enjoy the ride rather than demanding, like ALOT of you are!

• bambams

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

One of my mates met ben arfa over the last two days through work we do, even the players don’t have any idea who we are after are but benny states we are after two players . He went on about the French team and admitted he was not happy that blanc picked his mates for the team other than himself and thinks he has no chance with deschamps now the manager. Seemingly benny is a bloody good bloke and his English is very good, something he pretends is bad to avoid English press. Before I get slated this is all true and I am only passing on the info.

• Graeme

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

LGFUAD21 Agree completely.

There is no doubt AC could do a job for us, but there are other players out there that could bring more than AC could ever dream of bringing.

For the bindippers to sell him back to us would mean they have been royally shafted my MA, not once, But TWICE!!! I really cant see them being able to cope with the embarrassment to be honest lol.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Beattie25
    Always expect the unexpected with MA. The way Pards is talking up the season I’m not too sure how many players we’ll get through the door this window. Defo need greater depth of squad given Europa etc. With the improvements made by Liv’p,Arsn n Chelski……..we need to make some form of improvement just to remain static…..n we’ve got more matches this season. That stated there has not been that much activity….and most teams are looking at Quality as opposed to volume….I guess thats the basis were workin’ on….just these things take ages and is dead frustrating for us…..the fans!
    I agree that we are on the cusp of great things…..just not sure we will make the transformation required this window.
    We’ve got a great team. I’m sure they’re hoping for a few new faces….n hopefully they’ll come. Rest assured Pards n’ Team will battle on regardless! hwtl

• Premiership Manager

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Joe Allen to Liverpool for £15M with £12.5M to be paid cash upfront?

Could Andy Carroll could be on his way to finance the deal?

As for Carroll being a Judas get a life, he was 22 when he left and who at that age would turn down their share of a £35M transfer fee and double your salary. If my memory is right Pardew did state that Newcastle could not match the wages or turn down the transfer fee so there was a lot more to it than simply Carroll taking the money as the club weren’t to slow in holding their hand out for the £35M and flying Carroll to Liverpool.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Graeme

Surely you mean Debuchy, Douglas OR M’biwa and Anita (CB or CB). Respectfully.

On full backs. I said yesterday I wouldnt be surprised if we got a LB in. Santon is being groomed for RB by Pardew. A LB and Simmo and Santon fighting for RB would be decent. Also knowing that Santon can cover at LB when needed.

A Manure friend, one of the few I have met that follow football and not just Manure reckons we are mad to not be heavily focussing on bringing Douglas in. I have a feeling Sahko is off somewhere too being as PSG are looking at other CB’s to partner Thiago Silva.

Someone mentioned Alys Cissokho the other day. That would be a good shout in my eyes. His hype has lowered a bit but he is still a decent player. Strong, tough tackling attacking FB.

• jonny-intense

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

The fact that everything is quiet instills a bit of confidence in me. Nobody except Pards, GC, DL, MA and LC know who we are going to buy and when. The info isn’t leaked to the press at all from the club anymore. If it’s all very quiet then I have a feeling we may be working on something big (it doesn’t necessarily have to be Douglas, Anita etc. as they are all far too public).

I would love any of the players we have been linked with but that, in itself, is the problem. We’ve been linked all summer and have supposedly put bids in for one or two – it just doesn’t sound like how we operate now.

Hopefully we’ll get some positive news next week – whereby I mean Sky Sports cameras are rushed to Long Benton to see the back of a players head going in for a medical completely unbeknownst to everyone!

• Londtoon

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Pawl, no I don’t.

I feel it is actually down to Sir (future tense) Alan Pardew. Having a thorough professional man manager that targets every game as a win has to really boost the squad.

If people disagree with me then let’s hope whatever it is continues

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

pawl…I hear you. We’re not even established as a “top team” yet. Whilst I agree teams and fans alike need to show ambition, we are still steadily improving and one fantastic season for us should not make people forget firstly, where we’ve just come from and b) what we’ve done to get back

• pawl250

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Just for the record I would like new signings but I dont think it will be all doom and gloom if no one comes through the door. Just perhaps a showing of lack of ambition.

BUT who am I to question what has been working?

A lack of a striker signature this time last year may have been seen the same way, yet in January all was revealed!

Carroll – NO
    Remy – NO
    Mbiwa – NO
    Debuchy – Possible
    Anita – Likely
    Douglas – Possible

Mbiwa is too expensive, Remy will not come for backup nor will we spend 10m+ on a back up. Carroll unless for cheap wont happen, and lets be honest we wont get him cheap.

Anita – Depends on player my opinion and we will have him
    Debuchy – Depends on board being bullied to increase bid, so I dont think it will happen.
    Douglas – I think will happen, just depends on the player as he seems to changed his opinion 2, 3 times already.

• jonny-intense

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

LGF:

I would also really like a LB. Possibly over Debuchy if we play Santon there. I have a concern that we actually don’t have a left footed LB…still!

• WWYCD

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

We might get that bloody Russian team with Eto and Samba?

Whens the draw?