Campbell Interview – He’s Like A Young Michael Owen

Adam Campbell has been interviewed on nufcTV after his super performance over just nine minutes,  at the end of the 4-1 defeat at Cardiff City yesterday afternoon, and Alan Pardew has already said that Adam’s performance was the best thing about the game yesterday.

Adam Campbell – looked great yesterday

And we remember watching a young 17 year-old Liverpool player, who had much the same build as Adam, and was also very quick just like Adam,  and that was a young Micahel Owen.

Michael made his breakthrough in that season and ended up playing alongside a certain Alan Shearer in the World Cup in France in the summer of 1998, and he had an outstanding tournament and scored an unbelievable goal in the defeat to Argentina in the quarter finals.

So perhaps we have a new Michael Owen at Newcastle – but home grown.

After the game a delighted Campbell tweeeted this after his terrific performance yesterday:

“Can’t even begin to explain what today has meant to me, I’ve lived my dream and loved every second of it #nufc”

And a shy looking Adam was interviewed following the game by nufcTV and this is some of what he had to say to Rob Scanlon:

“It’s definitely what dreams are made of isn’t it, coming on for your local team.”  “Some people may say this was a nothing friendly but for me I’ve lived my dream and that’s what it means to me”  “To be fair it wouldn’t have mattered if I had got on or not, but to play pretty much with with my idols, it’s amazing and I am really happy.”

“It’s a new experience for me and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and all the lads have been spot on with me and made me feel very welcome, Steven Taylor, Shola and Danny Simpson – especially Steven and Shola who  know what it’s like coming through.”

“As long as I’ve been dreaming it, my Mam and Dad have been dreaming it as well,  so it was great for them to see me play.”  “I couldn’t sleep at all last night and I couldn’t get comfortable at all, and everything seems to be falling into place nicely.”

“In no way am I expecting to be in and around the first team next season, and I want to get in and start most of the Reserve team games and maybe a little bit of the first team, but if  I’m not involved I’m happy enough,  I’m a happy man.”

And of course it’s not surprising that U-18 manager Dave Watson and Academy manager Steve Joyce are pleased the way Adam has come through to play for the Newcastle first team, and Watson had this to say today on the Newcastle web-site:

“I’m delighted for the lad. He’s worked hard and he deserves it.”  “He’s a great trainer who gives 100 per cent in every session and every match, and he’s very talented as well.”

“It goes to show, if you keep on working hard you will get recognised and it’s really good that the manager has given him this experience to play for the first-team.”

Adam has been the Talk of the Toon since his appearance yesterday, and if you have a subscription to nufcTV they have the highlights up there and they show just how good the 17 year-old North Shields born youngster looked in those final minutes of the game at Cardiff.

We may have a new Michael Owen on our hands, and that’s when Michael was world-class.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• Griff-toon

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Exiting to have sutch a young prospect in our ranks!

• The Boy

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

hope he gets a chance this season in the first team looks a great prospect and has speed to burn

• Kyo

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM

He looks so small. Geordie Messi confirmed?

• BmoreToonFan

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Id love to see him get a run out in a few cup games!

• Shearer.Milburn

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Like a young michael Owen..?? Reading between the lines, he’ll be injured all the time and cost us millions…

• GeordieToon89

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Younger Michael Owen was one of the best strikers in world football, he was unreal but he just got very unlucky with injuries when we signed him

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Dave Watson is part to thank for this, he’s obviously done class to get him in around the 1st team this season, not many 17year olds get the chance.
    Thought he looked great with the 2 through balls very unlucky for no assists, let’s see more of him in the next 2years.
    I mean I think Campbell looks better than what Owen did, our own Rooney would have been a better idea 😉

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Highlights of the game against Cardiff

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Adam Campbell looked quick and sharp from the glimpses I saw on that YouTube video.
    Is he the answer for backup to cisse and Ba (ahead of shola)?
    Or am I just getting carried away hahaha 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Shearer.Milburn @ # 5

Had you put wink or a smile at the end of that comment it could have passed as humour but as it is you just read like a somewhat moronic retarded f**kwit the likes of which do occasion on here.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I hope our club handles him well. We could have a world class striker in the making.

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Plz dont compare him to greedy owen.. mayb He is the future NO 9

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Andre Villas-Boas is prepared to put his
    faith in 19-year-old striker Harry Kane for
    Tottenham’s opening Premier League
    game after failing to bring in Emmanuel
    Adebayor and Leandro Damiao.

So Wit No strikers , Hope We Can Beat Then

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Jamsha,

Very much doubt he’d start a 19year old striker mind, would love it if he did.
    On Campbell, if he is to turn out anyway like Owen did with a better attitude then we’d be laughing

• Kyo

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM

If he turns out to be the next Shearer or Owen then Ashley will sell him for 35 million.

You know I’m right.

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

haha mayb he could be the white ameobi 🙂

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

BUT HOPE TO SEE SOME OF OUR YOUTHS TO BE A WORLD CLASS PLAYER IN FUTURE

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I highly doubt he’ll start a 19year old when they’ve still got Defoe, bale could probably o a job as a ST aswell

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I can’t imagne Ashley being owner in 4-5years time mind

• Novocastrian66

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Anita in Cabaye out? Hope I’m wrong. Welcome Anita, but not at the expense of Cabaye or anyone else. Cannot see this lad signing to sit on the bench.
    £15m for Allen or £8m for Anita?
    Liverpool taken to the cleaners again.

• shearermania

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:02 AM

still not sure about having a bloke called Anita….had a bad experience in Thailand once!

• Sazzer

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM

It’s not 8 m £ but 6.2 m £. And we are 4m+ from sales at moment.

Cabaye has long contract so only silly money will take him away. No need to jump to conclusion or worry.

Anita will/can play LB when we play 4-4-2 and together with Cabaye and Tiote in 4-3-3.

• Toon73

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Can’t see Anita playing anywhere except next to Tiote in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:50 AM

I am 100% sure that everyone here knows that 442 is not the only formation. So why on earth does everyone keep asking where he’s going to play????

• Baro

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:00 AM

man i hope Vurnon Anita signs for us! He has a world class pedigree on him. Great vision, excellent passing with both feet. Has a descent long shot, and rarely gives the ball way. I have seen him LIVE for ajax couple times. I hope we complete the deal tomoros…..

• Baro

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM

——————————Krul—————————–

Saylor———-Mbwia———–Colo———-Santon

———————Tiote———–Anita——————-

—————————-Cabaye—————————-

Benny—————————————————Ba

—————————–Cisse—————————–

• Baro

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Adam Campbell ……

I hope this lad features this year about 7 appearances…. Looks lyk a bright one for the future….

• 89Norcal

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:40 AM

How brilliant is that, a 17 year old living his dream playing for Newcastle with heaps of potential. I’m 6 years older than this kid and I gotta say I’m jealous, here’s hoping he becomes a great talent for us. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

• Kc-Toon

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Was anyone else reminded of Andy Carroll when reading this article? Geordie lads dreams become reality as he starts racking up the first team appareances.
    Im thinking big Andy didnt just help us out with stealing 35 million of the scousers, but if campbell was to make it big, i really think hes going to look Carrols situation, and me content with being a geordie legend , rather than a flop

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Pardew Wil play the 442 this season. Anita is being signed as left back. Not Centre mid.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Pardew Will play the 442 this season. Anita is being signed as left back. Not Centre mid.

• JDdubai

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Nowt like putting pressure on the kid straight away, he’s the next Michael Owen after 7 minutes of a friendly. Remember Brayson and Chopra guys, just leave this one to develop without any pressure.

• headtheball

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hope Adam becomes as good as Shearer and as loyal as Shola.
    Started watching Avatar for the first time last night on Aussie tv and was amazed at how alike the lead character was to our ex striker who was whisked away by helicopter.

• Ian Toon

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM

JDdubai – there are a number of posters who claim to be able to recommend we buy players on the basis of a 7 minute cameo role .
    Donaldson was going to be the next Shearer . Happy to leave it to our professional. Having learnt that Carr looks at a player home and away over a number of years. He also makes a point of watching them after muscle injuries to gauge their recovery powers . Quite a marked contrast from that clown Wise.

• Marty-Toon

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Anita is only being signed for his heading ability 🙂
    Ap wanted to address the lack of goals from dead ball situations.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM

ilovetoon

I don’t think so!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Ian toon
    Not a big fan of the you tube technique then?

Head the ball
    LOL!

Les grossman
    Good banter yesterday mate enjoyed that nothing personal like!

• Les Grossman

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Ilovetoon8788
    I think it’s common knowledge Anita does not want to play left back.

• Toon73

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I agree with poster #23

• Ian Toon

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Les G- That’s likely to be first on his list of reassurances sought . First time I watched him on ESPN he played left back and he failed to impress me. He’s two footed though.