Coloccini OK For Saturday – But Still Joining Argentina Squad

There was some really good news today that Fabricio Coloccini went off at half time on Saturday, only because he felt a tightness in his thigh and he  didn’t want to risk it, but he says he will be fit for Newcastle’s opener against Tottenham on Saturday.

Good shot of Fabricio on Saturday in first half

That’s the good news but the bad news is that he will join up with the Argentine squad to play in Germany on Wednesday night at the Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt, so we have to hope he comes through that game OK, but we wouldn’t think he would play any more than 45 minutes.

The Newcastle medics have assessed Fab’s injury and it seems to be nothing, and his thigh simply tightened up in the first half, but now he has to navigate through the International in Frankfurt on Wednesday evening.

We will not even mention that it would be an absolute disaster if Colo is injured playing for his country, and we had enough of that with Michael Owen playing for England and coming back injured far too often.

It’s interesting that it was Alan Pardew who decided to take Colo off at half time on Saturday, and the Argentine wanted to play on in that friendly, but Colo is such a vital player for Newcastle at the back, that it would be very bad if he gets injured.

Coloccini has spoken to the Newcastle press today to allay fans’ fears about his injury:

“It is OK. I just felt tight, it was nothing.” “I wanted to play on before I wanted to work against another team.”  “Yes – I’ll be ready for the opener.” “The fans are always class. No matter how we play they cheer us.”

“But we have to apologise to them for this. I am sure they will be back at our stadium in great numbers.”  “They understand that it was a friendly.” “Now, like the fans, we are looking forward to Tottenham.”

“We have to recover from it. But we will have games like this.”  “We will look at the mistakes and do better next time.”

Colo’s right there, that you go through a season and review each game, and hopefully learn from the mistakes you make, so you don’t make them again – and  it’s hopefully continuous improvement.

But it seems Colo is determined to link up with the Argentine squad in Germany this week, and of course he will be keen to get back into the Argentine side again, so you cannot blame him much for that.

Colo talked about the Argentine game and that he was still going:

“Yes, I will go. I am pleased to play for my country.”

It’s hardly surprising that Newcastle tried to talk him out of going to Germany, but he’s going, and we’ll be a little bit nervous on Wednesday evening,  until we hear he’s OK.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Didnt Pards say he wouldnt be going?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Yo…I believe he did.

Oh well, Captain Colo, have a great game and don’t get injured!

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Ibiza
    Captain and manager disagreeing on this? Not a great sign I would of thought hopefully Pards meant that they were going to wait and see the full extent of Colos problem before letting him head off to the Argie camp and he just ballsed up his words

• Kazzy

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Cant wait till opening game this year is goin 2 be so excitin 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yo….Let’s go with that 🙂 Can’t see Colo not communicating with Pardew first

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Boom boom,

I think Vuckic would be class playing striker but even better behind the striker, so maybe if Cabayes injured whack Vuckic in there it should be his breakthrough season

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Without trying to cause pandemonium on the blog i think its a really good sign all the andy carroll talk has calmed down as it now looks as though we’re looking like LFC’s only option if they want shut of him if we could get him along with anita and a quality full back which personally i’d still rather we got a LB with Santon switching flanks but Debuchy would suffice Big Time, i would say if we got 3 of that caliber we have a top top squad if nobody leaves that is.

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM

AMEOBI i dont mate maybe behind but not up top hes defo a link up player not a natural CF.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ameobi – what makes you think that Vuckic would be class playing as a striker as everytime i have seen him play even supporting the st he has looked very poor. He has looked best to me playing as a CM but even then has not impressed in the first team at all as far as im concerned. A loan to a good championship club is what he needs playing week in week out but im not sure we could afford to lose the numbers in our squad at the moment.

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza
    Haha yeah lets look on the brightside of life mate 😉 apparently Pards is hoping for more new faces after the Anita break through as well Douglas was mentioned in what I read (though I cant remember where I read it)

Id still love to see us sign Douglas I love a player with anger issues 😀

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Can you really see us signing Carroll? I’d love him back but I can’t see it happening

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Santon at RB argument again? Him and HBA on the same side fills me with a cold feeling of dread

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

That last story sounds like a load of crap to me.

Cisse is the last player to go questioning the board – given that he barely speaks any English, and he’s been here only 6 months.

Absolute rubbish.

They’re not retards. City have bought 1 player, Man United have bought 1 player, Spurs have bought 1 and lost a few… It’s quite obvious that the market isn’t moving.

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Nufc-83,

You serious? You clearly haven’t seen him play! Pop back to last thread I posted a link, have a watch then comment

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Yo……….lets all all stop talkin like we all from the bronx like ye know boys. only kiddin like ye know

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I have seen Vuckic in every 1st team appearance for us and also most of his games while at Cardiff and i can assure you Vuckic aint no striker.

• AMEOBI

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Well I obviously see a big difference between you lot, I’ll let it go.. But watch him play behind the striker when he’s on, he’s class!!

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

TDS
    I see what ur saying but I wouldnt dismiss it completely out of hand

As for the market not moving http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm seems to disagree looks to be a heap of transfers have been going on

• Sholadona

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Regarding the last story. It starts with “The Chronicle understands” which usually means it’s rubbish. I’m pretty sure the Chronicle has understood a lot of things.

There’s also no quotes, not even from an “official club source” as they call it!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Guys, this Ashley + Rangers thing is actually good news for us. I don’t know why anyone is negative about it, it’s not like Rangers are going to be borrowing our first teamers.

Name me one other club in the world that our reserve players can play for, and get used to the atmosphere that will prepare them for playing for the Toon?

They can play in a high pressure, massive stadium, with all of the media attention, yet it is at a lower standard of football that our youth and reserve players can handle.

Plus Ashley is limited to 10% investment in Rangers so this is just yet another business investment for him, plus the opportunity to tie up the merchandise deal with Rangers, and help Rangers and NUFC with some player loans.

Simple!

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@TDS defo mate i think theyll all be well clued in to whats going on recruitment wise and will be much happier with the FACT that none of our top boys has left.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Santon and Hba on the right would certainly leave us fragile but may work if we had the 2 holding mids as they could cover the gaps.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Yo…Be careful, you may set me off in to song mode 🙂

I know all about you and anger issues, don’t you worry 😉

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Has anybody else’s mobile site changed or is it just my wired phone? It’s got a load of grey arrows all over the place.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Weird*

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

AMEOBI i watched that game live and for all the shots he had he didnt score and he was playing in MIDFIELD that night and we have 2 world class strikers and are trying to add another so go bang ashleys daughter and leave it will you.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

TDS…But surely he will favour his new club which he has a 10% stake in over us who he owns outright? Mark my words, we’ll become Rangers feeder club in no time 😉

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Ibiza
    Aw no sing a long today? Belfast popped up with some Marley yesterday made my day haha

Just minor anger issues though with Douglas and Cabs in the same team I bet the ball boys sh*t their pants

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

WWYCD

Mate, looking at that list indicates we’ve already signed 3 players, but you wouldn’t know it would you.

Just because there’s a name on a list, doesn’t mean it’s an important signing (; You only have to look at the total expenditure there, and most don’t even exceed £5m. Money just isn’t being spent…

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The signing of Anita will allow Abeid and Cabaye to push more forward into their natural positions. We will have Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Abeid competing for first team slots in the attacking midfield position. Gosling and Vuckic will be there in case someone gets injured.

We could do with another attacking midfielder but it can wait until January. We must sign Debuchy a centre back and a striker.

In January, we’d need to sign a fourth striker, a fourth centre-back and an attacking midfielder. We could also do with another left-back.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yo…I wouldn’t say no sing a long today, it is only lunchtime after all 🙂 Sorry I missed Belfasts contribution, nothing like a bit of music to get spirits up on here!

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

TDS
    I dunno mate 8 teams have spent 10mill + I wouldnt say thats a small amount Everton never spend big, Norwich/Swasnea/Wigan probably arent in a position to, QPR ruled the freebies this season and Reading have done their business for the window apparently

I just dont think the window is as slow as papers would have u think is it really any slower than other windows?

• WWYCD

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ibiza
    We will have to hope he pops up with some more classics haha

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Everton spent £15m on Fellaini and over £5m on Pienaar. Jelavic was £7m.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

If we get Debuchy and Anita in before saturday, we’ll be in good shape. I have a feeling that we might just sign Anita, Debuchy and a striker and not sign a centre back.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ibizatoon – you do know he’s a Rangers fan too right? And a secret Mackem I heard…

His real plan is to have built our expectations up and then in January, Rangers join the Premier League and we join the Scottish Third Division…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

TDS….Oh yeah? Bit odd for someone to support southern teams, the mackems and rangers, but there you have it 🙂

I heard he was going to turn SJP in to the biggest sports direct retailer on the planet and just scrap the club altogether (once he’s offloaded all our team to Rangers and the highest bidders).

• dave 1961

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

if you look at Ashly’s past he often just buy’s stakes in company’s on a whim then sells then for a profit, or it could be to get his foot in the door for the day he sells us.

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Does anyone think that a five mill bid for Damn would be a good idea? Its an upgrade on wilo and unless this Douglas deal goes through I can’t see too many other affordable options

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Dann. Oh the joys of predictive text