The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Surprise, Surprise – Papiss Cisse Shirt Selling Like Hot Cakes

11:43 am, Thursday, August 16th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

News today on the Newcastle web-site that Papiss Cisse’s name (shirt) has been the most popular one with Newcastle fans,  who have been purchasing the nice looking new home shirt, since they were put on sale last week.

Papiss Cisse – in his new Newcastle strip

That’s not surprising for a couple of reasons, one is that Papiss was simply sensational after he arrived in early February from SC Freiburg, when he hit 13 goals in just 14 appearances and some of his goals were classic,  like the amazing one he put in the net late in the game at Stamford Bridge earlier this year, to put Newcastle two goals ahead.

And the other reason is that Papiss is wearing Newcastle famous number 9 shirt,  worn in the past by some of the greatest goalscorers to wear the Newcastle center-forward’s jersey – Jackie Milburn and Alan Shearer, who have 406 goals between them for Newcastle.

French International Hatem Ben Arfa is the second most asked for jersey number, and Tim Kruul’s new number one goalkeeper jersey is also said to be selling very well.

And the web-site is reporting that the new numbers style, which features the Newcastle crest and two stripes and will be worn in European action,  has also been well received by the fans.

We would have thought that Demba Ba’s (19) and Yohan Cabaye’s (4) shirts would also be popular with the fans, and maybe  the Brazilian maestro Perchinho’s number 14?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Demba Ba · Hatem Ben Arfa · Papiss Cisse · Perchinho · Strips · Yohan Cabaye

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Super Magpie // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Still no season ticket, gonna have to get a paper one. -___-

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Pawl……Does this mean everyone has forgotten how important Ba was?

• 3 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Super Magpie….But did the DVD arrive? I promise you, it’s more entertaining that any game of football!

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Joking aside, sorry to hear that Super Mag, have they given a reason for the hold up other than they just don’t care about the Geordies?

• 5 Sholadona // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I went for Ameobi 23! After getting the limited edition one with Nolan on the back and him leaving 2 days after I got it, I thought I’d go with a 100% surefire stayer.

• 6 Tom4Nufc // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!! Shola Ameobi moves to West Ham to link up with old Boss Sam Allardyce for an estimated £2.5 million plus add ons!

• 7 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Dont think I can have any other name on my shirt than Ameobi.

He’s been on the back of my last 3 and my england shirt (that gets some weird looks)

• 8 Sholadona // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

@Tom4NUFC NOOOOO I’m destined not to wear my home shirts without embarrassment! ;)

• 9 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Sholadona

My exact thinking mate.

Tom4Nufc

Please say you are jesting at Sholadona. I honestly think the world will end when Shola leaves Newcastle. The only reason Venice hasnt sunk so far is because of this.

• 10 Valci // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Ibitza – thank you my good sir. (damnit…had to go through 2 full threads after my lunch brake). As for the clique…we need it…we need to stand united in the face of the menace that is Pawl…only together can we face his unrivaled intelligence and astute logic…THIS IS SPARTA!!! (*caugh caugh* i mean NUFC)

• 11 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Shola went on loan to Stoke in 2008. There was then a 50% rise in natural disasters the same year.

The force has only grown stronger in him now. Next time they could rise by as much as up to 85%.

• 12 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Dont believe me

• 13 zaktoon_swede // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

top 5 papiss:

1. Second goal, chelsea
    2. Home aganst Aston villa
    3. firstgoal, chelsea
    4. second goal, swansea
    5. home to norwich

• 14 JTOONJ // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Skysports have us down as a 7th place finish at least they called our ground SJP

Persnonally i’d be happy with 7th a good cup run is quite realistic

• 15 Griff-toon // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I have Cabaye on the back and I think he was our most important player last season.

• 16 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I think Shola will start against Spurs… anyone? Serious Question..

• 17 Tom4Nufc // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

… You guys have caught me out!

LGFUAD21 going by that I take back any joking comments about Shola leaving… I’ve always wanted to go to Venice! ;)

• 18 Phillipe Alberts tash // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Collo or cabaye? Answers on a post card, I can remember when I had robbie Elliot on the back of my battleship gray one in the late 90s. Can’t ever remember seeing anyone else with it on. Maybe i should do the same this year and get Simmo on the back ha

• 19 davybtoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

anita confirmed 5 year deal

• 20 check the toastie // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yep, i have a bad feeling Shola is going to start, the African boys are still on Ramadan, however can’t believe they can’t just have a couple of days living as normal, friday, saturday, then make them days up. Thats what Olympians did, Same goes for Tiote and Benny.

• 21 davybtoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

on offical site

• 22 Manx Magpie // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

• 23 Valci // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

ichrisho – it’s possible…either him or Ba i’d say. Cisse hasn’t really played in pre-season much. Anyway…stupid channel isn’t broadcasting our game. Only showing Citeh, Manure, Fool and Chelski so i’ll have to catch it online. Can’t wait :D

• 24 DeanToon88 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

We have signed anita lads 5 year deal, fantastic news :D

• 25 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Yeah Anita officially signed on a 5year deal. He will wear the number 8.

Great news. Can only help take the club forward.

• 26 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Anita deal official. At last. Our new left back.

• 27 Valci // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Manx – you just made my day!!!!

• 28 pardews plan B // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It could be worse guys. you, like me could have woken up Christmas morning as a child to open up your presents.
    You open one. Its a toon top. A toon keeper top. Its the yellow mike hooper one.
    Your mam insists you wear it when playing footy with your mates that xmas holiday.
    And you are ridiculed relentlessly

• 29 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS @NUFCOfficial Newcastle united have completed the signing of yurnon anita on a five year deal from ajax . YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 30 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Anita… oh…. you’ll never know… oh no.. (Chris de Burgh) :) Delighted!!

• 31 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

* VURNON but who cares we got him.

• 32 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Number 8!!! Nice… Thats no LB!!!

• 33 davybtoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

ilovetoon anita will not b playing left back he will b cm, may fill in at lb if needed

• 34 Super Magpie // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Ibiza

The DVD has yet to arrive Ibiza, surely you can’t be as bad as NUFC. :)

About the season ticket, I rang the box office yesterday. They said it had definitely been posted and if it dosent arrive today, then I have to get a paper one from the box office.

• 35 Ldntoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Good news about Anita but apparently Arsenal want Tiote to replace Song and Spurs want Cabaye to replace Modric, which isn’t such good news.

• 36 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

ichrisho

Could be right on Shola. He’s had a decent preseason though. Bullied some defenders. Just needs to score.

Remember reading somewhere that his fitness levels are really good atm. Reckoned he was the fittest he’d been in years.

Great news guys. Hope this gets the ball rolling. No pun intended.

• 37 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

FINALLY !!!!!! Welcome to the Toon !!!!!

Now onto the next one!!!! Muniain isn’t it?!?! Lol

• 38 davybtoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM

ldntoon – nonsenses spurs already bought sigurdson to replace modric, n arsenal want mvilla to replace song

• 39 jesperfuglsang // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Is it confirmed he’ll wear #8?

• 40 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

@ Valci – I think Shola can do wel this year… I can feel it in my waters… He will be great to use in Cup matches… did you see hmi against hartlepool? he smashed the lot of them… and against Monaco – I thought he was best player on the park..

• 41 LGFUAD21 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Ldntoon

No it isnt. We;ve held it together this window. lets hope we can battle it out till the end.

Valci

Swear spuds game is being broadcast.

Unfortunately for me my one football friend back here is not in the country I dont want to sit in a pub on me lonesome in an area that is full of spuds fans

• 42 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Lndtoon – Why bring this rubbish to the forum right now?!?!

Anita is an ADDITION not a replacement for Cabs or Mr T !

• 43 davybtoon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

munian are we really after him bcoz hes brilliant

• 44 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

@ 38 -Yep so thats no LB.. no wonder Ryan Tayls.. is off to Stoke.. (Is he?) well I think he is..

• 45 jesperfuglsang // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ldntoon…and I want a toilet made of gold, but that’s just not in the cards is it ;) lol

Sorry just a little Austin Powers humor there :)

• 46 Papiss9 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Yess!!!!!!!! Great signing :D

• 47 Griff-toon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Ldntoon

Wow, what a way to kill the good mood. You have any links to back that up?

Great news about Anita!

• 48 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Great news.

Now get a few more in please…

• 49 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Spurs game is on ESPN and online!!!! Plus I’l be at the SJP – updates as the game goes on…

• 50 steveno7 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

They aint going nowhere. how many times do these people need told.

• 51 Papiss9 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

No way We are selling Tiote and Cabaye. Unless the offer is in the region £ 30-40M

• 52 ToonAndy // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Will Pardews press conference be on sky sports news??

• 53 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Grrrr…..!!!! And Raylor isn’t going anywhere. My boss spoke briefly with him at a charity golf event recently and he was very positive regards His Newcastle future and European exploits this season.

• 54 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

@34 – apparently we want to replace you with someone who isnt a negger… know your place fella…

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Would love an international CB now,not even bothered abot Simmo staying if we get a top class CB turns up in the next few days.

• 56 ichrisho // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

@Torqtoon – Only messing.. about Rayls.. :)

• 57 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Dont think he would go to Arsenal like.

Chelsea,Man Utd,Man City possibly,but not Arsenal.

• 58 Novocastrian66 // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

When we going to make another signing? After all it’s about 10 minutes since our last one. Ashley needs to get his finger out!

• 59 JP...from The Rock // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

YESSSSSS AT LAST !!!!!! :D

• 60 Griff-toon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Torqtoon

I think Raylor has a place in the squad.

Lets not focus on negatives today.
    Anita is in the house!

• 61 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM

And Raylor isn’t going anywhere!!! He is loyal to the end and my boss spoke briefly with him at a charity golf event recently and he is toon through and through and wants to bring European success to Newcastle! And all round good guy so I’m told!

Game is on ESPN and I will also be at the game !!! Let’s bring on 3 points an send a message fellas!!!

• 62 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

My bad ichrisho ! Knee jerk reaction! Was just waiting for the neggers to bring the mood down and jumped the gun!!! Lol

Apologise for the double post – damn iPhone!

• 63 ToonDownSouth // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My word, we sign a player and the ‘Tiote and Cabaye leaving’ nonsense comes straight out of the bag again.

• 64 cupiddstunt // Aug 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM

ilovetoon8788 @ # 25

Before any arguments fire up by you tactical geniuses on here.

To quote Vernon

“I talked to the manager and the coach and they know that I want to play in a defensive midfield place and that’s why they brought me here,” he said.

But he did qualify that with this

“But I can play at left-back or right-back, so that’s also no problem.”

These are quotes from Vernon so he is here as a DMF but can cover at the corners.

previous post: One Or Two Matters Being Cleared Up In Anita Medical