Here’ s Why Newcastle Are Unlikely To Go After Adam Johnson

Manchester City’s Sunderland born winger  Adam Johnson, who grew up supporting Newcastle and was one our books when he was a youngster,  will not get many games at Manchester City in the coming season, and it’s a good question as to what City will do with him before the transfer window ends on Saturday, September 1st.

Adam Johnson – in limbo at Manchester City

Adam wouldn’t come cheap, so we don’t think Newcastle would want to have him come to Newcastle as a permanent transfer this summer, but they could try to get him on loan for the season, but that would also cost money of course.

Adam’s name keeps coming up among Newcastle fans, and he needs to move on from Manchester City if he wants to further his career, but winger is not a position that Newcastle have any shortage of players for that wide position.

Newcastle already have players like Jonas Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Gabby Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Ryan Taylor  and Romain Amalfitano to name only seven who can play out wide, so it’s hardly a high priority for Newcastle.

There’s no doubt that Adam is a good player, and he would be a decent signing for Newcastle, because it’s always nice to bring home-grown players back to the club, but we do not think Newcastle will be going after the 25 year old in this summer transfer window.

Newcastle will be keen to find out how Sylvain Marveaux and Romain Amalfitano perform next season, for different reasons.

Romain because he is a new addition to the squad, after he arrived as a free agent from Rennes in the summer,  and the Frenchman has been very impressive in pre-season out on the right wing, and Sylvain because he is hopefully finally free of the injuries which have dogged him over the last couple of seasons.

So we’d be very surprised if Newcastle make a move for Adam before September 1st,  for these reasons.

But what do you think about this?    Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

=============================================

• Kyo

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

We should avoid buying from the PL, and also avoid buying British. Far too overpriced and overrated.

• to0n

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

1st

• to0n

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Yeah kyo I totally agree but Adam Johnson looked quality against italy

• Far East Magpie

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Pardew said in the press conference that he will play Anita mainly as a defensive midfielder.

That surely means that we’ll need to bring in at least a full back and centre back.

• DG MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I would love him to sign… Never guna happen tho!

• Banjo

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

why would you even comment first? even more embarrassing that you were second you tool

I don’t think we need Johnson at the minute as our wings are looking strong, rather concentrate on strengthening defence and possibly a new striker

• to0n

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Banjo, stop being so arrogant, but in response I agree we have strong wings however johnson would be an asset to Any team and would be a great signing

• Novocastrian66

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Definitely need another option up front. Need a fullback and centre half. May get away without another centre half if Good lives up to his name.
    2 more in if nobody else leaves.

• Phillipe Alberts tash

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I agree with far east, FB needed and also Eds right Adam johnson is good player but we are blessed with wide men

• Alberts_tash

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Also, a new name needed.

• nufcmikkel

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Johnson is class, we would be pure evil going forward with tiote and anita as holding/box-to-box, cabaye as advanced, johnson and benny on the wings, and our man numero uno papiss smashing them in like there’s no tomorrow! Our back four would have good protection, and gesus we would be deadly on the counters!

• Azza_Jones

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I think he is much better than most of our wingers and as we are in Europe this year he would be a welcome addition to the squad. I think a fee in the region of $12m pounds would get him. Not sure about his wages as he must be on $80k per week at Citeh and not sure we would go as high… If he would take $60 we might have a deal. And 25 is not too old ED

• Phillipe Alberts tash

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Albet, sorry dude ive been reading Tunis blog for years and thought I’d finally join in. I’ve never seen you comment before so I thought my name was original as he was my hero. I’ll get a new name tomorra #keepyrknickerson!!

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Johnson and Baines are the only two English players I would go for. They are talented, young and would improve the team. Their price is the setback though.

I would look into those two in January and get either of Debuchy / Mbiwa / Douglas in this window.

• Toon73

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Would be great to have Johnson if the price is right, but gee, he seems surplus to our needs?

Would rather get some cover for CB, ST, and LB tbh

• Kc-Toon

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Theres so much bitterness in the ajax forums at the moment. Their fans cant understand why he would to join ‘a smaller club than ajax’. Dosnt seem to be one fan happy about his departure, surely this is a sign of a quality player 😀

• roadfighter

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:23 AM

@ JP – since we talking about fairly unrealistic targets, would you consider Richards? Of course the price for him I think would most likely be more than Baines or Johnson as he is the Man City vice captain and just turned 24. But he could cover RB or CB in my opinion…

on the Johnson question, he is pretty good and severely underutilised at City but I think we have cover in this position and I feel this season Marveaux will impress big time..

just my 2 cents worth for a Friday morning. 1 day to go !!! come on the Toon!!!

🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Well we haven’t lost a fb this season and with the addition of Anita we now have a new option on both lb and cm, so I think we are good in that department.

If Simmo doesn’t sign his contract I would like to have him replaced though 🙂

We have enough options on the wings; no need to bring in an overpaid lazy twat in Johnson.

I still hope for a cb and a young versatile forward 🙂 That shouldn’t be too much to ask for!

As for Brits they are way overprized, but sometimes you can make a good deal; but I would on bringing Brits up ourselves and not buying them. 😉

• Toon73

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Some sort of talk around Scott Sinclair doing the rounds…

• Toon73

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Repost:

Can anyone answer this:

Will we have a dedicated new strip for our Europa games? If so will we see it before next weeks game?

• JDdubai

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Lawro’s predictions 1-1

My god be worried, he doesnt have us down to lose!!!!!

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Theres been a rumor circulating around that Chicharito has handed in a Transfer request.

Personally I don’t believe it, and think he would cost a hefty sum. But I’d honestly love it if he joined NUFC.

• cyprus

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Would love to have this player. In a recent program I watched, Hart and Milner singled him out as the ‘most skilful’ in the team, and that says a lot given their squad.

• Les Grossman

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Road fighter
    Richards is a great shout!
    Would love it if he signed for toon!

Can’t see chicarito swapping manure bench for the toons though!
    😉

• Salaam

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Rather have him come home than Carroll

• PortsladeToon

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM

think you’ll find Adam Johnson is on £1.25 million per year so hardly over the top for us as a club.
    wages are here http://www.trophy4toon.co.uk/salaries.html
    not saying i think he will be coming as imo there are other players Newcastle are targeting before we need any more wide players

• geordie@bergen_norway

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM

A CB who can also cover RB/LB is what we need. All the teams in top 5 have one or two (P.Jones/Lescott/Kaboul/Richards/Ivanovic etc.).

Micah Richards is perfect, but too expensive for us.

Mbiwa is my choice if the pris is sober.

• pizzicatochan

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Kyo, I think we can still get some good gems from the British market. Don’t forget Bigi! However, we would really need to spend a lot of time of discovering those gems.

or just grow some.

• Ian Toon

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Jesper – Good morning , I see The Sun have Man U winning the
    Premiership and. Ferguson talks of repeating their 1999 treble. I was
    just saying on the last post that we’ll have to wait until we hear from TADS and Beattie25 as to what’s going to happen. LOL.
    I am looking forward to getting on with the start of a new season. I share your view that were well stocked on the wings would like to strengthen defence. Still feel Debuchy could come in with growing anger towards him from Lille fans . My I pad is ruunning down and can’t re- charge at present. If I disappear .

• north_country_boy

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM

How about this for a transfer merry-go-round…Obertan to Swansea (already rumours), Sinclair on to City (girlfriend wants to go home?) then put 2 + 2 together and get Johnson to us??? Although it probably equals 5!!! 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

PortsladeToon …Adam Johnson er on 100k and you don’t think that is overpriced; and not to speak overpriced to us?

He is lazy mate, even Mancini says so, and we brighter kids working twice as hard on a fourth of that salary!

Morning Ian…I do hope we’ll bag Debuchy before the transfer window shuts and maybe even a CB 🙂

The optimist in me tells me that the Anita deal will be the catalyst for more deal to happen 🙂 and we might even lose one or two as well.

Good times to come 😉 How was your day at the Lord’s?

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Hahaha,

First Cisse, now Anita 😛
    Shame the mackems couldn’t afford to fly Anita over here like they did with Cisse…

Poor guys are forced to sign free, aging, injury prone players. Aka Saha.

• pardews plan B

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

@jesper. We might see more transfer action like. Still think Douglas will arrive on 25-26th.
    But i can still see us having Simmo rb til at least January

• rivettCatcher

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Centre Backs!!!

• steve

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Great to see Anita in a toon shirt. I would say he should start on the bench no way any player should walk into this team. Jonas for me makes a better DM that a winger so I would argue that Anita will be rotating with him throughout the season and cups.

The competition for places is great at the minute. Has been said a million times before but a CB and a ST and were sorted. A full back would be a brucey bonus but I can live with Simo and Tav.

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Id we are going after another player, hopefully a defensive target.

I’d much rather sign a FB that can also play CB over a specialized CB. Someone like Pieters. (doesn’t have to be Pieters, but someone who specializes in FB, but can also put a shift in CB in the case of Injuries)

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Hi ppB my good man 🙂

how are you doing? I think chances are 50/50 on whether Debuchy signs and Simmo stays.

I don’t mind Simmo, but with his contract in limbo I would like a solution…Debuchy would be mine 😉

Douglas you say 😉 God I just don’t fancy that player – but I’ll love him like the rest if we comes lol

• Transfer Sage

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I would like yanga mbiwa

Could be good as cb for the long term as play right back until he is needed to fill in his preferred cb position

• geordie157

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

If we only sign one more player then make it mbwia.

• Ian Toon

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Jesper – back with you . Lords was great but a long day. England started well but fell away a bit. Where we left off yesterday. I think the Danish Proverb you mentioned in English is- Success has many fathers , but failure is an orphan. In Toon speak it could be cherish the memories and ignore the pain.