Great Expectations At Newcastle – But We Are Stronger Now

Newcastle were the surprise package of the Premier League last season, so that’s not going to be the case in the season that gets underway today, but we still hope that Newcastle can pick up from where they off in May, and that Newcastle have another outstanding season. That’s what we are hoping for.

Alan Pardew – starts his second full season at Newcastle today

Alan Pardew has given an interview in the Newcastle Journal today, the first day of the new Premier League season, and he admits there are great expectations on his side now.

This is what Alan said today:

“It is quite right that the expectations have changed.”   “There is extra expectation on us, extra pressure on us and we’ve got to deal with that. If you’re a big club you have to deal with that all the time. You can’t afford to lose at Man United, it’s a crisis, and that’s how we’ve got to treat it here.”

“I don’t really like to make too many rash decisions at the start of the season, I never really have. I think it’s very important to get ten league games under your belt and then you have a rough idea about the feeling at the football club.”

“Then, I think I will have a little bit more of an idea. But, as I sit here today, we have Sylvain Marveaux and Steven Taylor back in the group, which I didn’t have in the second half of last season and also four new signings.”  “So we look a little more stronger and hopefully we will prove that.”

Alan Pardew has to navigate Newcastle through five very tough games in the first 15 days of the season, starting this afternoon against a good looking Tottenham Hotspur side under new manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Newcastle will probably play a second eleven on Thursday night in Athens against Atromitos, in the 4th qualifying round of the Europa League, and we hope they will be good enough to at least get a draw in that game, and we think they will be.

And then the first team play Chelsea less than 48 hours later next Saturday.

Alan will leave most of his top players behind in mid-week, so they don’t have to travel to Greece, and that will ensure they are ready to go at Stamford Bridge, in what will be another huge test of this Newcastle side.

We are looking forward to every minute of it. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM

At least he didn’t say “Saylor and Marveaux will be like new signings for us this season”

• Dannyo

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM

So looking forward to this.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Ooh ooh first. Mommy daddy are you proud of me. I posted first. I’m so important 😉

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Dannyo- I know, even though weve had the Olympics and euros, it has still been unbearable without the toon the watch

• Shearer.Milburn

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Anybody got a sun dream team league??

• Marty-Toon

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Who’s the best signing by any club in this transfer window?
    If he plays like he did last year I reckon Van Persie.
    Brilliant player but a real idiot attitude
    I for one hated seeing him in a Utd shirt,nearly puked!!

• surreytoon

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM

@timuJ – Maybe I’ll leave the other half in Selfridges and pop into the cock an lion; she could easily spend several hours in there!

@WWYCD – not sure about the racial overtones but Clarke said it was unusual to see a black lad in Newcastle in those days. He also said he (Clarke) was in a pub one day and some bloke was slating Shola so he told him to give it a rest and got a punch in the face for his trouble.

Pardew said Sammi is a lot more prickly and confident than Shola, and that when they exchange funny looks when he tells him off or puts him right on something! He said Sammi is the closest of the young group to the first team and is a sacrey proposition when he runs at you with the ball, very gifted and technically great.

• estechco

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Was going to join the blogs fantasy league, but despite having filled in the premierleague.com sites registration page (3 times) have still to receive my validation email. Anyone else having the same problem?

• WWYCD

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Dannyo
    From previous thread. Aye ur right there lad I just gave the bellends the worst look I have ever given anyone and cheered haha they didnt appreciate it

surreytoon
    Shocking behaviour really but I suppose there is a lot of that around in football specially back in those days. Defend Shola and get decked best fans in the world! Haha

I am stupidly excited about Sammy 🙂 top youngster at the club for me with Fergy just behind because of injury issues but Sammy could be the real deal and the smile on my face if we make a world class Ameobi

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

yea so Saylor and Marvauex will be like a new signing.

lets say we have defensive injuries. and we are playing manchester united.

Rooney = Hernandez = Van Persie
    against
    Perch = Williamson

lolololol.

• surrey_toon

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

another surrey based toon fan

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Jj 25???

• Transfer Sage

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Estecho

Check your junk mail box.

Thats where my emails went when i signed up

• estechco

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Transfer Sage : Had already done that thanks. Fear not, my third attempt HAS now turned up, albeit slowly!

• thebionicMAG

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

@ surrey_toon

I live in Surrey too but do not have ESPN on my sky package. Any ideas of good pubs that do??? (assuming you actually do live in Surrey!)

• thebionicMAG

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

@ WWYCD

What thread? I’m black. Was born and bred in Newcastle. Supported the toon ever since i could function as a human.
    I remember when we were playing Coventry years ago, a Toon fan behind me called one of their players a ‘jungle bunny’ after he took out one of our players. I swung around and said “Who’s Jungle bunny…theirs or ours?” He looked confused, so I said. “Kieran jungle bunny Dyer or Shola Jungle bunny Ameobi?”
    He just ignored me. I then called him a tosser and turned back around. A Toon fan sat next to me said “Don’t worry mate, if him and any of his mates wanted trouble, we’ll be in for you..”
    That just about sums up Newcastle fans, for every idiot, theres a thousand genuine brilliant ones. I think we have the best fans in the world not to mention the funniest.