Vurnon Anita Wants To Emulate The Great Xavi – That’s Good

One of the great things about football is that it doesn’t really matter much about your size, and you don’t have to be big like you do for example, in most of the American sports, and indeed the best footballer in the world at the moment is just 5’7″ tall – the great Lionel Messi, and the Argentine is such a great guy too.

Vurnon Anita – got good 20 minuet run out yesterday

Newcastle’s new signing Vurnon Anita is 5’6″ tall, and his favorite player is Xavi of  Barcelona and Spain, and that’s not a bad player to try to emulate, that’s for sure.

Xavi is just 5’7″ tall and slight in build like Anita, and it was good to see Anita get a run-out for the last 20 minutes of the game yesterday, as he starts to get acclimatized to the best football league in the world.

Vurnon was interviewed by the Sunday Sun today, and this is what he said:

“The player I admire the most in the world is Xavi from Barcelona. I also admire Andreas Iniesta.” “They are like me in that they not so tall, but they can play very, very good football and I love to watch them on television.”

“Footballers these days tend to be big, which is something I am not. I can’t help that.” “So this is why I look up to Xavi who is one of the best players in the world. The way he plays football is special.”

“This is how I want to play my football. I like to pass the ball, play one-twos, move well and create chances for my team-mates.” “This is what Dutch football is famous for. So I hope to bring these talents here to Newcastle and do well here.”

Aniesta is also 5’7″ tall and again has been in the Spanish side that has won the last three major tournaments, and are probably one of the best National sides ever, along with the great Brazilian World Cup winning side of 1970, with the great Pele in their ranks – who is easily the best player I have ever seen play the game.

We expect great things from  Anita, and good things come in small bundles as they say (who said that?),  so we think this lad can soon be pressing hard for a first team starting position at Newcastle, and will certainly keep both Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote on their toes.

And he’s just another wonderful signing by Newcastle, and great value at £6.6M.

Is Erik Pieters next through the door?

We hope so.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Tooooon

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Anyone who missed MOTD looking for very high quality highlights from the Toon game:

• stk85

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

will any from yesterday be playing on thursday? i’d like to see anita and gosling in CM together, maybe bring cabs on for a bit to get his match sharpness up. and again everyone’s been raving about gosling in pre season again, will this be the year? i hope so for his sake

• Toon73

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I expect Perch, Anita, Cabaye, and Obertan to back up.

Cabs need some playing time he should get another 70mins.

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Have we found Marveux yet?

• cupiddstunt

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Sorry to drag up earlier posts but Ed is way too quick at times this is for the deluded like Steinhof and some others that swallowed the hype about manure’s very own Rudolph not overspending on players.

For as long as I can remember manure have regularly paid out huge fees for players and put them on huge wages, the only ones that have not cost huge fees are the home grown players, I thought my memory was bad but steinhof’s is so selective it is ridiculous so just a few like

2001 Veron 28+Mil
    2004 Ferdinand 29+Mil
    2004 Rooney 25+ mil
    2008 Berbatov 30+ mil

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, and the only reason they have not over paid for players since 2008 is there are now two teams with deeper pockets

So now the fregie lovers can now go and sit in the dumb corner and come out when you can post sense.

• Toon73

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I’d say Marv was being saved for Thursday.

• faustino

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Re: Campbell playing Europe, Ed. he hasn’t been given a senior squad number and as far as I’m aware, until that changes, that precludes him from being selected for any senior games.

• davybtoon

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

i think we will see this team

harper
    rtaylor williamson tavernier ferguson
    gosling bigiramana
    obertan amalfitano marveux
    campbell

• hattambenarfa

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Would anyone take sessegnon if only to rub Sunderlands nose in it?

• Cool Hand Luke

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Marv was down the back of the sofa the whole time

• Geordie In Oz

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I know we haven’t seen much of anita yet but ive got a feeling we’ve got ourselves a real good lad here!

• Ian Toon

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

It’s all about opinions even when we win. But some opinions are worth more than others. After the turf warrior TADS and Beattie 25 have had their say and some of us have recovered from the sheer pleasure of capturing a win when very few of ours were at their best ,what do we take forward of any real worth. Let me say though that I tend to go with Beattie as spouting common sense and TADS as usual spouts platitudes and largely gets the wrong end of every passing stick. That is my opinion . Blogs and this is no different tend to attach value to the poster rather than the content. I discount totally though TADS ” Spurs were deceptively defensive” – not sure what it means. Also I saw a lot
    of Simpson in the first half, being sat in the East Stand and I thought
    after he was booked that he was a candidate for being sent off. But he found a new maturity and gave a sound performance – one of his better
    one’s. He timed his runs better, had a hand in the goal and against pace did not panic. Please note for anyone who has read this far, that there is no redemption I would like to up-grade here. With Debuchy my preferred choice. To the game, and telling it as I saw it I thought Spurs on opportunities were the better first half side largely because we had a 4-4-2 formation( and not surprisingly -TADS -Spurs with only Defoe available as a striker ) against the oppositions 5 in midfield. Pardew favours 4-2-3-1 but the timing and too many unfit bodies meant this was not the game to unveil . You could see glimpses of what will materialise with Tim not just hoofing and a short passing switch play game in our half. Unfortunately Tiote gave the ball away a lot and Cabaye was forced to play too deep to combat the opposition numbers in midfield . He also looked short on fitness and lacked mobility today. Spurs passed the ball around him.This meant that the link between midfield and the two Demba’s was tenuous and only Ben Arfa’s deep runs caused Spurs problems and two bookings. Fortunately our master tactician Pardew changed things around at half time to 4-3-3 with Ba playing deeper on the left of midfield . This gave Ben Arfa noticeably more room including a willingness to cover defensively. Also Jonas that man for all seasons and all formations
    took up a central midfield role. The addition of an initially nervous Anita in the time available shows what might been seen in the months ahead. For Spurs I thought Lennon and Defoe were the pick. The Toon
    army doubtless will go for the genius that is Ben Arfa but for me Ba the renaissance man turned the game – also sound performance from Saylor – but only Defoe up front. Perch’s pace was useful and he gave a very assured performance clean crisp tackling against a side that were
    happy to go to ground. Perch can play at CD. I said before the game that this game would not determine our season but an opening day
    victory before adoring fans can’t be beaten. Not at our best but hey
    it’s just the beginning. It’s all about opinions.