The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Anita On Debut – We Got Three Points – It Was Amazing

9:24 am, Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 70 Comments

New boy Vurnon Anita came on for his debut on Saturday in the 71 st minute against Spurs, replacing Yohan Cabaye, after almost making his debut just a few minutes into the game, when it looked like Cheick Tiote had injured his groin, but the Ivorian was able to carry on.

Vurnon Anita – came on after 71 minutes on Saturday

The  player stands 5’6″ tall, and is a box to box midfielder, and should do well once he gets used to the faster pace of English football, but he looked a good technical player on Saturday, and got better as the game progressed.

Anita had this to say to the Newcastle web-site today:

“I thought I could have been on after three minutes because Tiote looked injured.” “So I warmed up, then kept warming up and warming up, but thankfully he was fine. So I had to wait a bit longer but am happy to make my debut.”

“It was amazing and I am up for more now.” “The first touches were all about getting used to the game and the speed, because I had only trained twice with the group.” “As the game went on though I felt I got better and it went well.”  “I can’t wait to do it all over again.”

“If you win it is always good. It is my first game, we got three points so it’s amazing.” “It was a very tough game but we win so it is three points in the pocket.” “I didn’t know much about Tottenham apart from a few players, so it was all quite new for me. But it was amazing to experience this game.”

“To beat them is a very good sign. It’s a great start to the season for us – you always want to start with a win. Now we must go to the Europa League and then Chelsea.” “They are amazing – brilliant supporters who supported the team throughout the game.”

“I had been told quite a bit about them but they were incredible.”

Vurnon may start his first game for Newcastle on Thursday night in Athens against Atromitos, and we expect him to be in the squad that Alan Pardew will take to Greece tomorrow morning.  But who the other players will be that Alan takes in the squad tomorrow morning is an open question at the moment.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News · Vurnon Anita · Yohan Cabaye

70 responses so far ↓

• 1 deeeeeeano // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Got to start on thursday

• 2 Beattie25 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I seriously believe that in at 10 games our midfield trio will not only be a match for any team in the premier leauge but a match for any team in Europe.

Obviously we’ve got a long distance to go before matching Busquets, Xavi, Inesta and Alonso, Khederia, Ozil but o tell you something we have a very special trio.

I will guarantee now we hammer somebody by 5 or 6 this season.

• 3 John Tudor // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

the makems away

• 4 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Why does Ed say we are playing tomorrow? thought it was Thursday!

• 5 ross armstrong // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

my team for thurs
    ———-harper
    tav willo perch ferguson
    amalfa anita gos marveaux
    ——-shola campbell

• 6 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Beattie…I like your enthusiasm, but I think might be a little bit too enthused ;) lol

• 7 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

*you

• 8 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

ilovetoon

Yes we still hoof it a bit but with the signing of Anita we are evolving to a more passing game. With caroll we would go backwards, ie 6 goals in 40 odd games with Gerrard in the side etc.

The very near futue is Campbell. We have held our youngsters back in the past. Hopefully that is changing now.

• 9 ross armstrong // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

oops forgot raylor , obertan and abeid

• 10 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Love how everybody is licking Dembas arse now.

“4-2-3-1, with Cisse lone striker” all this none sense! Guy scored nearly 20 goals last year and the majority of you want to bench him LOL

I think I have literally read maybe 2-3 people other than me saying the same thing what about Ba all last week.

Look the formation might work it might not but having Cisse and Ba out on the pitch makes you much more likely to score goals, and goals win matches!

I though Jonas was MOTM too. I know Ben Arfa did well and probably was the most exciting player on the pitch. BUT he looked lazy in comparison to Jonas. The guy ran from left to right, up and down the pitch all day long. Was phenomenal! His work rate is by far the best in the team, and he never complains about coming back to defend or put in a different position!

Top quality professional! AND 4-2-3-1 …. he also wasnt in the majority of your starting line ups! If I had to choose Jonas or Anita based on that performance Anita can bench warm until Jonas gets tired because he was the heartbeat of our team on Saturday!

• 11 AndytheScientist // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Team for thurs?
    GK Harper,
    RB R Taylor
    CB Williamson
    CB Perch
    LB Ferguson
    RW Obertan
    CM Anita
    CM Gosling
    RW Marvaux
    F S Ameobi
    F Vuckic

With, Ba, Abeib, Bigirimana, Tavernier all involved at some point. Should be able to get a draw.

• 12 Toonboy_84 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

@pawl

When you say “licking dembas arse”, are you aiming that at me? If you are, I challenge you to find a post where I have ever said anything negative about Ba. Even at the beginning of last season when everyone though we bought a did.

• 13 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Ed must’ve gone all wrong timezoney ;)
    The match is Thursday, but they’ll probs travel tomorrow.

• 14 BigKirky // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Anita will enable us to keep the ball a lot better which can only be a good thing, as well as more accurate passes going into out outlet players. Great stuff.

• 15 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I have keept Jonas, Ba or Cisse in my starting lineup for the EL away game; i was unsure if Pardew would take the chance on Tav at RB or go with Simmo? I stiill am; Colo is back in though :)

I think it will be 4-3-3 and not 4-2-3-1, but that is basically just a technicallity ;)

• 16 Toonboy_84 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

So what I meant was, I’ve always licked demba’s arse. Not just because he scored Saturday.

• 17 mackas7 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

James Pearch made 46 passes on Sunday with 100% accuracy. Nice.

• 18 mackas7 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Saturday**

• 19 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Toonyboy_84

I cant remember who specifically I am aiming it, basically all those 4-2-3-1 Cisse up top with Ba on bench last week.

I wasn’t specifically aiming it at one person but a group of people who seem to think he is better on the bench.

If you said the above then yes it is aimed at you and others, if not I think you are just assuming I am aiming it at you.

I did say –

Love how everybody is licking Dembas arse now.

The quotation marks suggested I meant those who actually said it mate. Although I did generalize how I said love how everybody, I must apologise for that.

• 20 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Pawl – I’m pretty sure regular posters on the blog have always maintained the same stance on Ba that we needed to keep him! Not a case of “licking his arse” as you put it! If that comment was aimed at the neggers who appear on here every so often then I would agree with you, however the true fans and football people alway knew Ba’s contribution to the cause even when he wasn’t scoring!!

And as for the lone striker up top formation – rotating between Ba and Cissé is a fantastic option and no reflection on one being better than the other! It’s all about the success of the team, and now have the personnel to change things up and adapt the side to suit the opposition.

• 21 arcarius // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

top teams play with a lone striker

like 5under1and, norwich, qpr or west ham all these are top top teams

we need to play with only Cisse upfront

Ba can replace Krul as our goalkeeper

• 22 GeordieToon89 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Andy – we can only make 3 subs not 4.. I want to see Campbell involved aswell

• 23 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Pawl…so you think we’ll go 4-4-2 and others think we’ll 4-2-3-1…boohoo that’s life mate :)

I think it’ll be 4-3-3 with either Ba/Cisse on top so I guess you’re aiming it at me as well!

Who else think we’ll go somthing else than 4-4-2 on Thursday?

Disclaimer: it doesn’t mean one doesn’t like Ba or Cisse just because they think our best formation in one where both might not play much together or Ba might have to play as an inside forward on the left.

• 24 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Lad looks a fine example of Carrs scouting hopefully will be followed by a few more before September rolls around though time is running out

Apparently NUFC are interested in Johnson according to the Mirror and a few other rags

• 25 Toonboy_84 // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

@pawl

The reason I thought it might be aimed at me was that I started the demba love in today on the last article. I don’t do line ups and formations on here so I’ve never had him down to be on the bench. Maybe I read into you’re post too much. Not looking for an argument mate. We’re all here because we love the TOON. HWTL!

• 26 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Yo…it seems Sinclair is going to Citeh – I could see AJ going th other way…maybe :)

• 27 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Jesper – I also think 4-3-3 is the way to go…with the same front 3 as last season. Both Ba and Cissé drifted out wide on Saturday and looked more than comfortable. They’ve had time to train, play and adapt so having one of th slightly wider than the other will work out just fine! Where was Ba playing when he scored on Saturday again?!?! Wide left and drifted in…!

So seems it was aimed at me also (…although never suggested leaving big Demba to warm the bench!)

• 28 nufc_eire // Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

What about Dawson from spurs? I know he’s 28 and injury prone but could be going very cheap since he’s been transfer listed and is very good defender.

• 29 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

jesper
    Johnson going to Swansea? Haha

• 30 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

nufc_eire
    Dawson has been transfer listed? Didnt he just get made Spurs captain?

I wouldnt want him at all though haha good defender but we already have a good defender who is always injured

• 31 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Torq…I totally agree mate; I thought Ba did great as an inside forward last season and would stick with Ba, Cisse and Benny up front.

Of course we will have to rotate and I think Marv will do great on the left and hopefully Obertan will come good this season ;) knock on wood! lol

• 32 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Common Yo, that is not that far fetched :)

Not everyone is just looking for a pay check…and don’t underestemate the Laudrup factor mate ;) He’s bigger than London lol

• 33 Iain Dowie // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

——————————-Krul—————————
    Simpson——-Taylor————-Coloccini——-Santon
    —————Anita———Tiote——-Cabaye ——–
    —————————–Ben Arfa———————–
    ————————Cisse———–Ba——————

This is the best formation to accommodate all of our players. Ben Arfa was drifting all over the pitch on Saturday and I think worked very well. The three midfielders especially Anita and Tiote sitting deep will allow the wing backs to go forward.

• 34 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Yep! Plan for all occurrences. Let’s say one or both of our big lads gets injured…or they pull off a miracle and make it to ACON – we can then play Marv, Shola and HBA up top. Or if HBA gets a knock, obertan can have a crack as our right sided alternative. Do still think we could use another CF as Campbell may well take some time to adapt to senior football (although I hope not!)

People were moaning so much last season that we had injuries and lack of options to replace! Well thanks to MA, DL, Pards etc we have better depth. Alfi and Bigi have come in and impressed me, Our reserves are looking very strong and there is still 10 days to go to add to our squad!

• 35 OLDGEORDIE // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Last rumour. RVP put in a transfer request cos he doesn’t like the direction Manure are heading !!!!

• 36 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

jesper
    True and Laudrup is a big pull but Id expect Johnson to want European football he is good enough to be after that imo and I doubt Swansea would blow their wage budgets to get Johnson in

• 37 John Tudor // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

just play rotational formations all players have qualities in favour of this colo to play cf

• 38 John Tudor // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

inside of games

• 39 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I dont actually think 4-4-2.

I would prefer 4-3-1-2 could be a 4-3-3 if needed.

It would satisfy everyone except those that wish Cabaye plays a higher/free role in the attacking area of the team.

Cabaye Tiote Jonas
    ——— Arfa ——–
    Cisse ———— Ba

Before all your Anita lovers lose your head Jonas was amazing Saturday, it would be disgusting to leave him out. If Anita NEEDED to be on the pitch replace Simpson, he was god awful only did one thing right on Saturday and even then he had to make up for his positioning that allowed it to happen!

——————– Krul ——————–
    Santon – STaylor — Colo – Anita
    ———————————————–
    —– Cabaye — Tiote — Jonas ——
    ———————————————–
    ——————– Arfa ——————–
    ———- Cisse ———- Ba ————-

This can also change to 4-4-2 should it be required a change during a match. The midfield is strong, the attacking potential is mouth water and I think Arfa in a free role will bring out the very best of him. He will also not be used defensively which he is very weak at.

Counter attacking is possible also!

• 40 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Yo…I know and I am not saying it will happen, but I actually think it would be the right move for him cause I think he has to prove himself over again.

He moved to Citeh for the money and the gold ;) this time he has to do it for football ;)

Where else should he go:

- the dindippers?
    - the scum?
    - Spuds?

Swansea would do him good :) mind you I never get these things right anyway ;) lol

• 41 BigKirky // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

IF Pardew plays Ba or Cisse up front on Thursday it’ll give him an easy reason to bench the same player against Chelsea and maybe try a different formation with one up front. Or he could give players a shorter run out in both Thursday and Saturday games. We’ll see.

• 42 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Pawl – do you not think Cab’s would be wasted sitting so far back?!

• 43 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Pawl…Cabaye is not an advanced mid or an ACM; a Lille he has played as the classic #8 and that’s how I see him as well. In the long run I could see him more as a deeplying playmaker :)

As it is with France we look out of balance playing 4-2-3-1; maybe it’s because our central mid tends to be way to offensive, maybe it’s because they wander off to often, or because we lack ball playing defenders? I don’t know.

All I know is we look in balance playing 4-3-3 :)

• 44 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

jesper
    Oh aye it might be a good move for him cant disagree with that but I just cant see Swansea being able to get him in

I think he went to City for football as well as money though went expecting to be able to build a team with them but ended up on the fringes

Where do I think he should go? Sunderland he would play every game, Liverpool he would play every game and Spuds I reckon he would play a few…I reckon he would end up playing a lot of games for us if he got his head down as well

I would say none of his currently proposed options would be bad for him as long as he is willing to work hard

• 45 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Pawl

It’s not so much people want Ba on the bench. They just want a formation with one up top.

There is more than one way to play well. Whether we go one or two up top is irrelevant as long as we win the game.

• 46 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Also the 4-3-1-2 formation is pretty much what we play now! HBA drifts off the flanks regularly into a central role (ACM) and that then allows Ba and Cissé to move more central also. I know what you are saying but I still say we can play a 433 with both our big lads up top and always have the added option of rotation should we need to change things up.

• 47 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

pawl
    U reckon Anita signed in order to play LB for us?

• 48 magpiemover // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

any body that wants to book on the coach for chelsea away can book on 07858653200 £35 pounds on coach or follow toon travel 2 on twitter

• 49 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

TorqToon -

Whether your being serious or not it doesnt matter.

Cabaye can venture forward due to Jonas/Tiote cover, as can Jonas when Cabaye and Tiote cover.

The one thing I am sure of is Cabaye played well last season. His work rate suits the formation and he can still create as he did last season.

This team looks balanced on paper whether it can be on the pitch itself we dont know.

If Arfa gets injured Cabaye can move up to CAM and Anita to CM. Its versatility would be a strength. Especially during matches we can changed to 4-3-3 (Ba/Cisse alternating on the wings) or even 4-4-2.

Spurs played 5 across the midfield on Saturday we struggled to pass the ball I thought. This would give us another outlet with the CAM playing between the midfield and defence it would be hard to cover them. Its actually what lead to Ba’s goal having someone move to this position!

• 50 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yo…you might be right mate ;)

I am not completely objective here am I ;) I don’t really want him to go to Sunderland, I am not that fond of Liverpool and I just can’t stand Tottenham and rarely hate a club ;) lol

• 51 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Pawl

What I like about our players versatility is that during the game they can look to be playing

4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2

They can change depending on how the game is going without really needing to make subs.

• 52 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

jesper
    Haha I would be gutted if he rocks up and Sunderland or Liverpool wouldnt mind that much about Spurs tbh

Id be over the moon if he signed for us though him, Marv, Sammy and HBA with Obertan being impact player to see games out (I see Jonas as a CM not or in extreme cases a FB)

• 53 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Pawl – As a rule I don’t DO serious!! You do it seems but each to their own. On Saturday we struggled like hell to break down a 5 man midfield UNTIL we moved to 433 ! That allowed more invention, a formation that we knew and can play well in, and a formation that enabled us to attack, limit spuds options and score 2 goals!

Like I said mate, everybody has their own opinions and that’s what this place is all about. Putting opinions out there and having a chat about it. I completely agree about Jonas and I feel he is as important a player to us as HBA, dembas, Tiote and cabs. I just see more adaptability in a 433 than a straight 2 up top.

• 54 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

WWYCD – Jonas had a great game, best player on the pitch Saturday. I wouldnt drop him right now. So its either temp fullback or bench. Personally I rather he played over Simpson. Of course you could say

Santon — STaylor — Colo — Jonas
    ——————————————–
    —— Tiote — Cabaye — Anita —-
    ——————————————–
    ——————- Arfa ——————
    ————-Cisse —– Ba ————-

Whether Jonas would be as effective I dont know. But he certainly doesnt deserve to be dropped! I dont care if Anita is a new player, Jonas did his job to near perfection on Saturday! Lets reward him with a place on the bench!

Wheey! Sounds awesome lets all play brilliant!

• 55 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yo….yeah I think Jonas has made the transition to CM as well :) and I actually like him there and for now he’s my first choice along side Tiote and Cabs :)

When we play a counter based formation ala 4-3-3 in can see both Fergy and Jonas at LB, cause we need forward thinking fulback to make the outside runs and crosses :)

You realy have your heart set on AJ don’t you? ;) maybe it’s your lucky week mate.

As I always say, I’ll love him just as much as the others if he signs :) haha

• 56 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

pawl
    I didnt say drop Jonas but we signed Anita as a CDM which is where he wants to play. Simmo is our RB and Santon is out LB until we sign a real FB imo which doesnt upset me at all

Anita should be used in rotation with Jonas for me

• 57 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I posted this yesterday what do people think?

Instead of these complicated fair play rules (which clubs will find a way round) why not have a maximum limit one club can spend on transfers per season, say, £50m. Which would prevent the likes of Man City from buying the title but high enough so it doesn’t impede most club’s transfer business.

• 58 bemba da // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I dont see why jonas needs to be dropped at all, Anitas got to earn his place same as everybody else. Simpsons done the job he’s always done, I cant see how he can be dropped really, not when it means a midfielder (Jonas) playing out of position (he isnt a rb get over it). Could see a bit of anita in Europe perhaps, can’t see pards fielding the incredibly inexperienced side some think will play, but once anita gets started and starts firing I think we could see Anitwave (couldn’t resist)

• 59 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

jesper
    Haha I never get my heart set on the back of a rumour mate I just think he would be a very exciting signing for us (bums off seats signing) I dont think it will happen at all

• 60 bemba da // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Sorry I ment Jonas at lb last post, with santon switching over to the right

• 61 bemba da // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Martoon
    Then the big clubs will just offer ridiculously massive wages to entice the players to go with them

• 62 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

So when is the pre match pressconference? Tomorrow?

I am a bit a anxious to see who Pardew picks :)

• 63 gfp13 // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I imagine on Thursday 1 of cisse or ba will be played upfront and then rested against Chelsea. Playing a big team away is think smart to play with the likes of jonas, Anita, tiote, cabaye and Ben arfa across midfield. Chelsea will try to maintain possession and attack and although Ben arfa isn’t a work horse he will keep cole pinned back. The other 4 will be working hard to get the ball back and up to either ba or cisse. This team would not surprise me against Chelsea

Krul
    Simpson Taylor colo santon
    Benny cabaye tiote Anita jonas
    Cisse(chosen for his game away to Chelsea last season)

So if any of these do start Thursday I’m not really expecting full games from them

• 64 gfp13 // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Martoon
    If clubs could only spend 50mil a season players like ronaldo and others rated higher than 50mil would never be transferred unless on bosmans.

• 65 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

bemba da @61 True but a big wage will not benefit the selling club so that should act as a limit.

• 66 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

gfp13 @64 £50m was only an example it could be higher.

• 67 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

……..It could be £85m so we can still buy Messi as Ed suggests :)

• 68 gfp13 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Ah I see fair enough then. I don’t want messi we have Ben arfa lol

• 69 AmericanGeordie // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I agree with those of you who are singing Jonas’ praises. He was my MOTM on Saturday (especially the first 15 minutes when he kept us in there.)

Assuming we do not bring Debuchy or anyone else in, I think our best squad/formation is:
    4-2-3-1
    Krul
    Santon-Colo-S.Taylor-Jonas
    Tiote-Anita
    Cabaye
    HBA-Cisse-BA

• 70 Craborumtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I reckon he’ll do well for us. He should get a lot of 1st team action because of Tiote knack of getting injured all the time. We need another striker and another full back though. Santo looks uncomfortable to me.

previous post: Demba Ba Clarifies Penalty Situation At Newcastle