Demba Ba Clarifies Penalty Situation At Newcastle

Demba Ba has clarified today that he is the Newcastle penalty taker, and it was a bit of a rush of blood by Frenchman Hatem Ben Arfa that saw him take the ball, keep it from Ba, and take the penalty – and everything ended up well because he put the ball home beautifully, sending Brad Freidel the wrong way.

Demba Ba salutes after scoring first goal on Saturday against Spurs

And Demba Ba may be one of the players Alan will take to Athens, when the squad leaves Newcastle tomorrow morning for the very important game tomorrow night, in the first leg of the 4th qualifying round of the Europe League.

Demba Ba scored a superb goal on Saturday, and has also shown good form throughout pre-season, and he looked good again on Saturday, after a frustrating run last season of no goals, after he had scored against Aston Villa, in his first game back from the African Cup of Nations.

Demba talked to the local press today about the situation when Hatem kept the ball on Saturday after he had been brought down in the box, and ended up taking the penalty – and scoring:

“Hatem just picked the ball up. I did not know he was going to take the penalty. I thought I would be taking it.”  “When I take it, I walk to the ball to take it but this time, he was faster than me. He just told me he was going to score. I am very happy for him.”

“Would he have been in trouble if he missed? No, not really although next time I will get to the ball faster. I will take the next one.”  “I think it was a very important win because Spurs are going to be one of the top teams this season.”

“So to play them on the first day and beat them was great. Perhaps it was better to play them on the first day before they get even better.”

We haven’t really seen Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse play too well together when both are up front,  although each player is a deadly goal-scorer, and Alan Pardew will have to sort out how to get both strikers scoring goals for Newcastle this season, and we don’t care who scores the goals, as long as Newcastle score and keep picking up the wins.

It doesn’t seem that Ba is too worried who scores either, as he was asked who would be top scorer this season:

“God knows. I will always try to set Cisse up when I see he is the better option, and he will do the same for me.”  “It does not matter who scores the goals as long as we are winning.”

We don’t know what squad Alan will take to Athens tomorrow for the game against Atromitos, but he is likely to leave about six first team starters behind,  so they area all ready for the game against Chelsea on Saturday afternoon.

And to even things up just a little bit,  Chelsea take on Reading at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday evening, so they also have a game before Saturday, when the game again kicks off at 5:30 pm.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• valle

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I am here to make sure no one post stupid 1st posts

• TorqToon

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Love Demba!!! Great pro

• valle

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

That said, I am not really happy with Ba as penalty taker, he never looks that cool to me and he has missed a few already, one against sunderland springs to mind. The ones he has scored havnt been that great neither, so for me, when he is on, Shola is the man for the job no doubt (Have he EVER missed one?). It AP’s choice in the end ofc and we will have to accept whoever he choses, but thats my 2 cents none the less.

• Toonboy_84

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I can’t believe some guys on here were writing Ba off earlier in the summer. Like it wouldn’t be too much of a loss if he went. I for one love him and think he has more of an all round game than Cisse. It’s just that Cisse is a super deadly finisher, although Ba can certainly finish himself.

Damn I love these guy, and am so proud to be a TOON fan right now.

HWTL!

• check the toastie

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

In the cold light of day, he maybe isnt bothered, but on saturday he did look a little p1ssed.

• TorqToon

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

And that’s a very HBA thing to do!! But fair play to the lad, he said he was going to score and he did just that!! Big risk – unconventional but again that’s what we love about our No. 10 !

• TorqToon

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Yeah I’m not sure where all the lads were who we’re saying we should cash in on Ba and his “ticking time bomb knee” this summer! The lad is a fantastic professional, top player and all round good guy! Without him there would be no Europa league this season – people seemed to forget that! Let’s hope they’ve now learnt their lesson!

• m1c4a3l

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Nothing wrong with Ben arfa doing what he did, he had the momentum to go ahead and score after all he did win us the penalty and was my man of the match

• deeeeeeano

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Sure demba has only missed the 1 pen valle, it was an important one tho

• TorqToon

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

M1 – Completeky agree. Momentum is key and he had that immediate belief he would score so he did the right thing IMO. Next one will be Demba. However my choice for MOM was Jonas!! He was incredible Saturday!

• Dannyo

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM

@check
    All in the heat of the moment imo.
    AP said he would be open about the EL selections before fans travelled, so i’m hoping for an announcement soon.

• m1c4a3l

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM

TorqToon- Ye I would like to think Ba will be snatching at the ball next pen opportunity, Jonas was fantastic again and did deserve man of the match It’s only due to the fact you get the same great performance and hard work every game with him, I guess sometimes we take it for granted. All round hard grafting team. If we can grab 2 more additions and slowly introduce them I have a good feeling about the season ahead.

• magpie6699

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I wonder if people realise that last Saturday was the last day of Ramadan so Ba and probably Cisse would not have had anything to eat and perhaps drink since sunrise. A warm day and a lot of hard work – I don’t know how they did it? Did anyone see if either of them took a drink?
    Benny is also Muslim, I believe, but he is not so strict and definitely took water bottles- my understanding is that it is up to the individual and circumstances?

• m1c4a3l

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

TorqToon- Ye I would like to think Ba will be snatching at the ball next pen opportunity, Jonas was fantastic again and did deserve man of the match It’s only due to the fact you get the same great performance and hard work every game with him, I guess sometimes we take it for granted. All round hard grafting team. If we can grab two more additions and slowly introduce them I have a good feeling about the season ahead.

• toonincheek

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ben Arfa’s penalty was not well taken – if Friedel had dived the right way, he would have saved it quite easily.
    How much Ben Arfa sent him the wrong way, as against Friedel just guessing wrong, who can say?

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Love how everybody is licking Dembas arse now.

“4-2-3-1, with Cisse lone striker” all this none sense! Guy scored nearly 20 goals last year and the majority of you want to bench him LOL

I think I have literally read maybe 2-3 people other than me saying the same thing what about Ba all last week.

Look the formation might work it might not but having Cisse and Ba out on the pitch makes you much more likely to score goals, and goals win matches!

I though Jonas was MOTM too. I know Ben Arfa did well and probably was the most exciting player on the pitch. BUT he looked lazy in comparison to Jonas. The guy ran from left to right, up and down the pitch all day long. Was phenomenal! His work rate is by far the best in the team, and he never complains about coming back to defend or put in a different position!

Top quality professional! AND 4-2-3-1 …. he also wasnt in the majority of your starting line ups! If I had to choose Jonas or Anita based on that performance Anita can bench warm until Jonas gets tired because he was the heartbeat of our team on Saturday!

• TorqToon

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Pawl – I’m pretty sure regular posters on the blog have always maintained the same stance on Ba that we needed to keep him! Not a case of “licking his arse” as you put it! If that comment was aimed at the neggers who appear on here every so often then I would agree with you, however the true fans and football people alway knew Ba’s contribution to the cause even when he wasn’t scoring!!

And as for the lone striker up top formation – rotating between Ba and Cissé is a fantastic option and no reflection on one being better than the other! It’s all about the success of the team, and now have the personnel to change things up and adapt the side to suit the opposition.

• SBergenwall

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don’t like the fact that Demba is the penalty taker, he always look so awkward in the run up and it seems too obvious where he will put it in my opinion we should have someone more reliable, not saying he’s a bad player but I just don’t feel certain that he will score on the penalty spot.

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Torq Toon –

Why would strikers need rotated?

I mean what is it with you people to assume these lads will get tired. They are strikers they will be fine, they hardly move in comparison of Tiote, Cabaye, Anita (if he played), Jonas. The midfield works the hardest by far, and will get tired before everyone else.

If you are telling me that Ba and Cisse need rotated for fitness, then Anita Cabaye and Tiote should never play in the same team to be rotated.

Surely rotate a team with for example Tiote, Cabaye and Gosling, Anita. Rather than Ba and Cisse rotating. The argument is to suit you, not what is best for the team.

If Ba and Cisse play together you will probably find the the team will score alot more goals than a lone striker, I would be shocked if this isnt the case!

Its like saying we have Rooney and RVP or Aguero and Tevez lets leave one out every game for fitness, yet both players can arguably get you 20-30 goals a season!

Smart management to save fitness though!

• itsmehere

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Might not be a bad thing if we have different penalty takers as teams do study each others tactics , would also help in shoot outs so it wouldn’t be unnatural for the players under match conditions.

• valle

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

deeeeeeano… You might be right, along with the one in preseason that didnt mean anything at all though. I guess its just the whole look about him when he is stepping up for one. He dosnt seem very sure in my view, but perhaps thats just me. Some strikers score great goals in the heat of battle, but when they have to much time to think it goes all wrong, and he might be one of those… Might not as well, time can prove me wrong and ofcourse i hope it will.

• Sambo from belgium

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

As in penalty shooting of Ben Arfa. It was technically brilliant.
    Keepers can read where the ball will go by watching the players supporting foot. I think Friedel is experienced enough to know how. Normally when you shoot and direct a ball, you’ll point with your supporting foot where you want to shoot.
    Now in the case of Ben Arfa, he pointed left, that’s why I think Friedel jumped to the left, but Benny still managed to shoot to the right…If you know what I saying ^^” It all happens in a split of seccond though…

• gfp13

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I would have cabaye as my penalty taker. Not based on other players misses but on the ground of his great record for lille

• josh

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Id rather Benny than ba to take the pens. Ba has missed a couple. Ofcourse if shola is on the pitch give it to him, say what you like about the bloke but he doesn’t miss from the spot.