The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Best Squad Player To Get New Contract?

11:04 am, Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 264 Comments

We thought James Perch fitted in extremely well on Saturday afternoon alongside Steven Taylor, and both center-backs had good games, with Steven Taylor taking more of a leadership role as the game progressed, but he was ably backed up by Perchinho.

James Perch – terrific squad player for Newcastle

And even though Newcastle were without their star captain Fabricio Coloccini, the defense looked solid enough, and certainly a lot better than we looked the previous weekend at Cardiff  City.

Perchinho again showed he can come into the Newcastle first team and get the job done in a number of different positions, and his form on Saturday may be enough to convince the powers that be at Newcastle that we don’t need another center-back brought in before September, although we have again been linked with FC Twente’s Douglas today.

Newcastle are likely to hand starts to Haris Vuckic, Gael Bigirimana, Mehdi Abeid and James Tavernier on Thursday in Athens, and if Colo is fit again we could see James Perch again start in central defense, this time partnering Mike Williamson, and Steven Taylor and Colo could well start the game at Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon.

Alan Pardew has today praised the performance of James on Saturday, and we also thought he did an excellent job, although he didn’t stand out, but that’s because he was quietly getting the job done at the back for Newcastle.

This is what Alan said today:

“Who would have predicted that Perchie would have started the game, but he was excellent.” “I’ve got great players, and they need to play.” “They all need to contribute.”

“If I can get their heads around the fact that three or four are going to be left behind, they accept that, and we get the same attitude in Athens, we should win.”

It’s a little bit of a mystery as to who will make the plane to Athens tomorrow morning,  for the first leg of the 4th qualifying round of the Europa League, but don’t be surprised if James Perch is on the plane, and starts the game on Thursday night.

Perchinho is building quite a name for himself  on Tyneside for his solid performances for Newcastle United this year,  and don’t be surprised if  James is soon offered a contract extension at Newcastle.

He deserves it.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: James Perch · Newcastle News · Perchinho

264 responses so far ↓

• 1 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Well deserved!!

• 2 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We need to tie up all our players and not ‘do and arsenal’ and let our lads run their contracts down.

• 3 dmac // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Only if he changes the name on the back of his shirt to perchinio haha. Nah agreed well deserved works. He works hard and has the right mentality.

• 4 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Just incase anybody wasn’t aware.

• 5 ajcrawfs // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We need to keep this lad!

that’s how champions league spots are won! through the quality squad players, who help sustain the push after the inevitable injuries

• 6 Beattie25 // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I really honestly believe the best thing nufc could do is try and snap up Douglas before the transfer window for £4-5 million, flog Willo for £2.5 and then our defence is almost complete with CB looking as strong as any other area!

• 7 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Yes someone said Perch had a 100% pass rate on Saturday. Not bad for someone playing CH. You have to admire semeone who can turn it around as much as he has. He deserved criticism before and it was justified but he’s coem through all that and I thought he was quite superb v spuds.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

beattie

dream scenario but who would take willo, esp for 2.5M?

• 9 Beattie25 // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Does anyone else get a sneaking feeling that we nay be the club that goes a little bit transfer mad on deadline day.

I don’t mean outgoings! I mean it seems as if the big clubs are struggling to buy players and we are paitently biding our time. The European clubs will become desperate to sell and we could steal some real bargains.

In previous windows somebody like Remy would get more expensive as the deadline drew closer, however with Marsaillie in the shit financially, I think his value is getting less and less. Same with Aly Cissokho.

Just got a good feeling that we may shock a few people.

• 10 Beattie25 // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Rotunda

Blackburn Rovers? Swansea?

Maybe 2.5 is too much to ask but you never know.

• 11 ajcrawfs // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

anyone seen bbc team of the week?

Ben Arfa representing!

• 12 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I didn’t quite understand the decision to give Jonas the captaincy over Saylor. At the same time, Jonas took the responsibilites well.
    Saylor however did boss the back 4.
    Hope he gets the chance later on.

• 13 Zero // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Beattie id love to see Remy and cissokho through the door, im still not sold on Douglas apparently he has somewhat of a bad temper a bit Barton-esque.

I just really hope Campbell comes through as our young striker this year or we sign someone like Guideitti.

• 14 dembademba // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

only player in the prem to play over 30 passes and have 100% passing accuracy.

true brazilian. gotta love him.

• 15 ThaiMag // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Team on Thursday if Shola is not ready

————————–Harper
    Tavernier—Williamson—Perch—-R.Taylor
    ——————-Abeid——Anita
    Obertan—————Gosling———Marveaux
    ————————–Vuckic

Sub.
    Elliot
    Good
    Ferguson
    Bigirimana
    Amalfitano
    Sameobi
    Campbell

• 16 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hope not

• 17 rainrix // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Dannyo .. Jonas has been vice captain for a while now.

• 18 Tommyy // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The truly impressive thing about perch was his reluctance to play the long ball, he picked out some great passes from defence. That’s what we need to be doing.

• 19 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

@rainrix
    Not officially i belive, and in that case, only since Saylor was injured.

• 20 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

@wwycd
    Hope not?

• 21 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

• 22 rainrix // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Dannyo.. If you think about it though, jonas is one of our more senior players i mean he’s been here for going on 5 years. Saylor and ameobi are both far to injury prone or simply won’t play as many games as jonas do warrant being vice captain. Anyway it docent really matter that much i suppose :)

• 23 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I think you have to be careful with playing Perch at CB. Against a small quick defender like Defoe he is great but against a strong, bustling CF who is good in the air then I prefer Williamson despite his faults.

• 24 Fostino // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM

great time for perch and im in no wayknocking himbut i question tha 100% pass completion and that all he did was short passes…im nearly certain i remeber him pump a dodgy long ball out to ben afra on the right wing…it may have been a completed pass coz ben afra touched it but it was a horrible ball to control.

did i imagine this???

• 25 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

@Martoonæi think u’re spot on, and i also think AP will rotate players based on who we’re playing.
    What u said was his reasoning for picking Perch on Saturday.

• 26 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Dannyo…do you have a danish keyboard? you used the æ letter! :)

• 27 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

@rainrix
    Ye, but Saylor has been here longer, despite age difference.
    Injury prone is a good point too ofc.
    I just see Saylor as allot more vocal AND he leads by example imo, Jonas is more like Collo, but does lead by example.
    Saylor is Mr. newcastle for me, i guess that’s why i want him as captain :)

• 28 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Dannyo
    I hope he doesn’t get a new contract mate being brutal but if I read tomorrow Perch signs new contract I’d be disappointed

• 29 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

@jesper
    Oops! Norwegian mate ;)

• 30 Fostino // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

maroon

that 100% correct and i never fancy a wilimson – taylor partnership…ey both mak eachother nervous

• 31 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Captains don’t really do much on the field anyway, do they? Compared to something like cricket where captains have to do all the thinking and own tactics etc. captains in football don’t do much apart from encouraging which I didn’t see Jonas do much and anyway players should be doing that even if they are not captain.

• 32 rainrix // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Dannyo.. Tbh with potentially so many fixtures i think colo jonas saylor and ameobi are going to get time to do a shift as captain so talys will likely get his chance. I have always envisioned him as a future newcastle captain so heres hoping

• 33 mackas7 // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Sky Sports understands Tottenham are ready to loan out Tom Huddlestone with Stoke the front-runners for his signature.
    by skysportspeteo, I know our midfeild is already chocker but I’d take this kid on loan, not at the expense of a full back, center half or forward like.

• 34 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think people are underestimating Spidey’s contribution to the game. He was in reality the ONLY choice for skipper with colo out. He is constantly communicating with everybody up and down the park. Yes I agree that saylor is a contender also! Steve WILL be club skipper at some point, thats for certain, but at the moment, Jonas was the right call.

In reality, when you look around; Krul, saylor, colo, Jonas, cabs, Shola – we have leaders all over the pitch! Never truely just one captain in a side lads!

• 35 ajcrawfs // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

huddlestone is like Dean Ashton!

Mr Injury!

• 36 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Dannyo…ohhh I think you have mentioned that actually ;)

…I can’t remember but are you an exile Brit or actually Norwegian? ;)

• 37 rainrix // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Mutiny.. I agree with you like they aren’t really massively important although a good captain can make a difference. I think the thing is with our team everyone knows what each others roles are and with so many leaders on the field (cabaye colo, jonas, saylor) it doesn’t really have to much of a bearing on our team. Plus when you consider the manager is like 40 ft away bellowing orders :)

• 38 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Dannyo Without trying to sound like a mutual admiration society I agree with you about Saylor as captain. However our last few managers have always overlooked him. I don’t know why maybe he has been asked but doesn’t want the responsibility or maybe it is because of his injury record.

• 39 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Mutiny – Skippers do so much mate! Honestly!! As i said, constant communication, should u get a chance to watch the spuds game back you will see he is always aware. He is also the go-to man from Pards and carver. Plus the impact a player like Jonas has in the dressing room and in training…simply incredible. He deserves more credit for the role he had than he is receiving at the mo.

• 40 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

@wwycd
    Raylor got one so i reckon Perch will get one.
    Sorry to dissapoint u mate ;)

• 41 SuperShearer // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Everyone seen that Bassong has signed for Norwich. Why did he ever leave us? Was immense in our relegation season and was then put out to dry by Floppy Chops. Think he could have done a job on the bench for us but suspect that’s why he wanted out of Spurs, to not be on the bench.

• 42 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@jesper æ äå ø all available on my phone

• 43 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What responsibility? What are the extra responsibilities on the field that the player will have if he was captain?

• 44 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Fostino @30 – I quite like my new name :)

• 45 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

@rainrix
    Hehe, i always envisioned a future hands his captaincy down to Campbell. From geordie to geordie ;)

• 46 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I am aware I sound like the president of the Jonas Gutierrez fan club today…but he is constantly overlooked by some an just trying to fling a little limelight on him! :-)

• 47 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

@jesper
    Purebread viking mate, but geordie adopted ;)
    Still in norway ofc.

• 48 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Torqtoon
    Constant communication? Surely they don’t need to be made captain to do that. Pards and craver can still go to Jonas if he wasn’t captain. I guess it might make that one man feel more responsible for the team and the result but as professionals it shouldn’t.

• 49 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Used to have catchy and dannyo in Norway
    jesp and valle from Denmark
    roshan and Indian magpie from India
    some from Australia.
    Lots of places represented on this blog

• 50 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I agree Jonas is definitely a great player for us. I wonder what Pardew will do to fit Anita in the first team, Jonas will have to be dropped or played at fullback.

• 51 pbNcl // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

One of my favourite players

• 52 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

@torq agreed Jonas gets too little love

• 53 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Perch would start at CB over Williamson for me like provided he has Saylor beside him. He is quicker, reads the game better and is more comfortable on the ball, didn’t put a foot wrong on saturday

• 54 pbNcl // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I don’t think Jonest Jonas will get dropped much at all, and quite rightly. Love him me like

• 55 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Mutiny – If you have ever played the game at a high level, you will already know that in your team there were players who you simply WOULDN’T have as your captain. For example I wouldn’t have HBA as skipper because he would struggle with the responsibility of controlling the people around him. It would take away from his game and he wouldn’t be the player he is. I do see what you are saying but in your argument, ANYBODY can be a captain – and that’s really not the case. He is clearly not only highly regarded by the management, but very highly respected by the squad. And IF the only thing him wearing the armband does, is that he relishes the opportunity, maintains a higher level of happiness and strong performances like Saturday, then it works for me! :-)

• 56 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

When does Perch’s contract run out?

I still think as with Gosling and to some extend this might also be a make it or break it season for both Perch and Raylor.

Pardew has said ones that a player can only sit on the bench for so long! A tend to agree :)

• 57 malaysian magpie // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

yes what a great game perch had vs spurs.. think that 100% pass rate was correct.. i was very wary of spurs forwards intercepting one of his passes and then using their pace to run us ragged (bad memories of 5-0 thrashing).. but he got all his passes on target.. some were long fast passes and ball was always on the ground.. great baller.. perch seems to have quite good agility and reaction.. (maybe better than willo?) he’s not static and can do a short run on the ball too to get that little bit more angle of freedom on the pass.. only thing i cant see him playing is that vs norwich last year when he was bullied by grant holt’s size and height. but im sure perch is a different monster this time round ;) hope he and willo both have an excellent season

• 58 ToonAndy // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM

On the penalty discussion… I hve always thought it would be cool to bring in the rule… Whoever wins the penalty, takes it… Would make things more interesting.

On our Interest in Adam Johnson… I would like to see him at the toon on the left side of a front 3… Think this team would be very hard to beat.

————————–KRUL——————–

SANTON—-SAYLOR—COLLO—-JONAS

—————–TIOTE———ANITA———-

————————CABAYE——————

BEN ARFA———————–A.JOHNSON

————————–CISSE——————–

• 59 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

ppB…on the keypad?

…didn’t know that mate :)

I had an American Laptop from Prostar I think back in the days when I lived in London and there was no æ, ø or å :(

Damn danish is difficult without them ;) lol

• 60 simon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Perch is an excellent squad player, a team needs players like that who can always come in and do a job, some fans live in fantasy football world with there lack of knowledge and slating of players on this blog!

• 61 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Dannyo…good lad ;)

• 62 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Captains make no difference.

It’s a leader you want. A player who barks out orders and helps structure the team will do it regardless of whether he has the armband or not.

All the arm band does is show the player his efforts and leadin the side are recognised. I’m sure Saylor, colo or Jonas would be the same on the pitch with it without the arm band.

• 63 pbNcl // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Perch is becoming indespensible to the squad. To come back from ridicule like he has is a great testament to his character. He is mentally strong, like tiote. And can floor a man aswell. Love his crunch tackles me. I’d sign him up for another 5 years

• 64 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think Jonas is a good captain like..

Shola should never ever be captain in my opinion lol
    And im not a Shola hater by the way… ;)

• 65 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Dannyo
    Honestly though do u consider Perch as a player that will take the club forward or Raylor for that matter?
    They are both average players for me

• 66 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

ppB…and we have:

Sgt. H from the States
    Niafron from France

Others?

• 67 TorqToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Ok well I’m on me own here lads, so I’ll just agree to disagree. Choosing a skipper is a very important decision but I won’t force my opinions onto anybody else.

In other news, will our europa team be announced today do you reckon?

• 68 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

@jesper i live on planet pardew

• 69 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

ppB…how’s life there mate? ;) lol

• 70 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I live in Belfast but dont be telling anyone….

• 71 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Belfast…your secret is safe with us ;)…but just make sure nothing gives you away! lol

• 72 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I kinda agree with Torqtoon but i also agree with transfer sage. As a professional football player, it shouldn’t make a difference to what they do on the football pitch if what they are doing is right whether they have the armband or not. I doubt many leaders at the back 4 like Terry, Puyol, Collo etc would lead differently or more if they were captains.

• 73 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Maybe the captain can make a difference in the dressing room though.

• 74 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Michael Dawson from Spurs apparently available?

I couldnt see spurs letting him go like..

• 75 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Where will Anita play if Jonas is not to be dropped? I would have thought that Anita will break into the first team which means the mid trio of Cabs, Tiote and Anita with front three of HBA, Cisse and Ba, where does Jonas play? Fullback?

• 76 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Perch’s contract runs out in 2014; surely h won’t be offered on before next year if the club decides to do so?

As I said, Pardew have been quoted saying, that a player can only sit on the bench so long…

• 77 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Just look at John Terry. Would you be happy to be captained by a serial biggamist and racist :)

• 78 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Apparently I didn’t do that great in the first week of FF :(

39 points

I partly blame Ibiza for making me choose Allan over Michu ;) lol

• 79 martoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

jesperfuglsang – there is also Ibiza from……………… I forget where ;)

• 80 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Andy- you’d pick Johnson over Demba Ba!! Wtf

• 81 geordie157 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Perch won me over last season and I think he’ll continue to improve. Great squad player that gives his all regardless of if he’s a sub or starter.

• 82 Dannyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

@WWYCD
    Honestly no, i do think Perch is a better player in general than Raylor however.
    Raylor has a right foot, that’s it.
    Perch has one of the hardest shots in nufc, he’s got pace, can play CB, DM and FB.
    Raylor cannot even properly play RW if u ask me.
    Yes they are makeshift player, but Perch is better than Raylor.
    If u can justify a contract for Raylor, u most certainly can justify it for Perch.
    However, i do think this is the year both Raylor and Perch will see there chances of playing severly diminished.
    How happy they are at the end of the season we’ll see.

But no, i do not think they will take us forward, but i do think maybe, just maybe, that Perch could be along for the journey. Not Raylor tho.

• 83 dave 1961 // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Beattie
    surly with Liverpool doing so poorly at the weekend maybe its time too, make up for robbing them blind over Carroll, i think we should sell them mike Williamson for a knock down £25m or say Carroll +£15m. surly this would make up for our robbing them last time.

• 84 theystillletmevote // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Bassong’s transfer to the canaries now official.
    Just off to check out his tweet :-)

• 85 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Dannyo
    I said at the time of Raylors contract extension we dont need Perch and Raylor. Only reason they both got a shot last year is because of board failings as far as am concerned

Yeah both came in and did a job but neither are pushing the starting 11 imo and I dont think either will during thier careers

For me I just dont see them adding much to NUFC in the coming years. Keep them for their contracts but when they are up I wouldnt renew

• 86 ToonAndy // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Magpies till death – on the left wing… Definately

• 87 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I would think, if Tav, Good, Bigi, Gos, Abeid, Vuckic, Alfi, Fergy and Sammy all come through or even just some of them, then something gotta give…

…some players gotta give…and can only see that being Perch, Raylor to name a few!

Meaning no disrespect, but that’s just the way it is.

• 88 IPToon // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Perch over Raylor any day. Perch can cover full back, centre back and centre mid if need be.

Raylor is a terrible full back, people walk passed him like he isnt even there! Jonas had to play wing back infront of him last year just so he wasnt left exposed.

Unfortunately he isnt much better on the wing. He never tries to get by anyone as he is too slow and he is not very comfortably in possession. He can basically only cross a ball and take a free kick.

• 89 check the toastie // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Raylor as a player is on the slide and Perch as a player is on the up, one has improvemnet in him and that has been noticable over the last 12 months, one is on the slide. Comparisons between the two are ridiculous.

People calling Perch average after all the outrageously good performances he has put in over the last 12 months are blinkered.

What does the lad need to do to stop being seen as a simple squad player. Personally if he was trusted to play RB, i think he could push his way into the England Squad and save us some money. If only Simpson would disappear.

• 90 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hmmm. To go forward there needs to be a certain amount of consolidation as well as out and out magical skill. Plus we need players who have their heads around the reality that not all players play all the time, and that the team wins competitions not individuals.

That is where players like Perch are essential. He can not only fit into a number of roles at the drop of a hat but he is willing to do so and with 100% effort. There’s no bravado and no risk with him, that’s why I like him. We could do with a few more like him in order to move forward.

• 91 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So whats the story with this premier sports then??

Are they showing both legs?? or just the first one??

• 92 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I like Raylor and I believe he loves this club. But I have to agree his use is limited. He’s just turned 28 as well so he’s not getting any quicker or trickier. He’s been a good lad but his appearances may well be diminishing now.

• 93 paul6257 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM

anyone think a punt on Michael Dawson is worth a gamble? chatting to a spurs fan who says he’s over his injuries, 28yr old, not a bad age fo CB, probably going cheap as AVB wants rid.

• 94 magpiemover // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM

any body that wants to book on the coach for chelsea away can book on 07858653200 £35 pounds on coach or follow toon travel 2 on twitter

• 95 toonLYF // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Perch is just as important to us as the likes of Cabaye, Colo, Tim etc…if we didn’t have players of Perch’s quality to step in when needed we’d drop vital points that would consequently effect our final standing.

I love James Perch.
    Was gonna get Ameobi – 23 on my new home shirt, however Perch – 14 is looking more likely, who’d of thought that 2 seasons ago? I’m now filled with confidence when i see him named in the starting line-up, the man just never puts a foot wrong, outstanding.

• 96 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Jesper…So week 1 and 1 point separates us? Interesting. Can’t blame me for including Allen, never ask advice of someone you’re entering in to head to head battle with ;)

• 97 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oh and by the way just catching up on the posts and on the HBA pen someone actually said it wasn’t a good pen, as Friedel would have saved it if he’d gone the other way.

My oh my. Where do you start explaining that? The answer is in the posters own statement for crying out loud.

• 98 wreker16 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Whilst I am a perch convert, I think pushing the England squad is a bit ambitious

• 99 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Tsunki….I suppose a similarly ridiculous statement would be.

The game against Spurs wasn’t good. If they had scored 2 more goals we would have lost?

• 100 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

check
    “outrageously good performances” really? Hes done a job but never pushed Colo, Saylor, Santon, Simmo, Tiote, Cabaye or Willo for a starting spot imo. Just doesnt have the quality

Tsunki
    Fair one but in 2 years times considering the number of potential stars in our reserves and 3-4 more transfer windows I would of thought we will have a higher quality of player than Perch and the need for him wont be there anymore and his wages can be used in a better way unless the club stop stop evolving

Am not saying flog the lad now but extending his contract isnt for me

• 101 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Ibiza…hehe ;) true my fellow foe! ;) lol

I’ll take 30% of the blame for that one mate ;)

Next week gonna be very important – are you going for the free transfer or sticking to your team?

I cannot afford Michu now so I-m stuck with Allen :( lol

• 102 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Ibiza…hehe ;) true my fellow foe! ;) lol

I’ll take 30% of the blame for that one mate ;)

I cannot afford Michu now so I’m stuck with Allen :( lol

• 103 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oopsy ;)

• 104 pawl250 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Thursday team -

————————- Krul ———————–
    ——————————————————-
    Simpson — Williamson — Perch — RTaylor
    ——————————————————-
    ———- Anita —- Gosling — Birigmana —
    ——————————————————-
    ——– Obertan – -Ameobi —-Marveaux —

Subs Harper, Street, Santon, Amalfitano, Jonas, Sammy, Campbell

Strong enough to win the game. Some first team players for experience. A couple of first team players on the bench should we need to push for a goal and take the likes of Biri off.

Keep Colo, Ba, Tiote, Arfa, Cabaye, STaylor, Cisse for Chelsea.

It would be nice to see the likes of Campbell, Street get game time. Certainly would help development of those kind of players, especially at such a young age.

• 105 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I can’t say that Perch has completely won me over just yet, but that might just be that Willo is mis-pleading him when he plays with him.

• 106 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Jesper….Think I’ll keep things as they are. I want my team to know I support them 100%, give them a confidence boost. That is how these fantasy leagues work, right?

We’re going on a team bonding exercise later tonight. I’d invite you along, but you know, enemies to the death etc.

Stuck with Allen sounds pretty dire, have got to say, although I don’t think I actually said take Allen, just that I knew very little about either player, so think your percentages may be off slightly. I’ll take 30% blame ;)

• 107 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

@tsunki its like i could easily have been a woman if i had a different chromosome lol

• 108 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

PPB…You could easily be a woman :)

I bet you missed me on here today.

• 109 carlton nufc // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Why didn’t we buy Jeremy Menai him citing in on his right with benny citing in on his left wow

• 110 carlton nufc // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Menez cuting

• 111 Tom4Nufc // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Because we didn’t want to.

• 112 Tom4Nufc // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM

… Just sayin ;)

• 113 carlton nufc // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Cheeky lil nonce

• 114 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ibiza…that sounds like a good plan ;) going out and painting the town of Eivissa red or something?

But you’re definitely right that’s how these fantasy leagues work ;) as long as I don’t have any injuries that is ;) lol

Okay I’ll go 50/50 on the Allen choice, just because I took you silence as a vote for Allen ;) but I can now how those could be misinterpreted! lol

• 115 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Im predicting a rise up the fantasy league for me in these next few weeks like ;)

Who ever wins the league gets a signed kit-kat by Paul Scharner..

• 116 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Jesper….There is a saying in England, not sure if you’re aware of it.

Never assume as it makes an ass (ass) of you (u) and me (me) :)

Afraid I can’t let you in to my methods. They are top secret. But don’t worry, I’m sure Allen and therefore Liverpool will start supplying the goods *chuckles*

• 117 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I would like to add to the debate about Benny pen, that had I chosen some other players for my FF team I would have been nombre uno ;)

• 118 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM

…and not #288 :) lol

• 119 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Belfast….Really? I never knew such an item was at stake. Game on.

P.S. Fellaini shot me up about 100 places last night…wouldn’t say the league is tight at the minute.

• 120 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Ibiza…nice one on assumptions ;)

…it doesn’t really work as well in danish though :)

I know I probably burned my fingers on Allen; but In my defense he did play for Swansea when I those him ;)

Won’t be long before you have a Citeh player on your hands warming the bench ;)

• 121 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I gotta step out for an hour or so ;)

talk to you later!

• 122 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Kets is sorting out the signed Kit-Kat like not me..

• 123 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Jesper…Indeed. At least I hope when he plays he’ll be on a winning team. Take it easy mate :)

• 124 ashwin say's // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM

some decent signing needed to be done

• 125 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Belfast…And you trust him not to eat that bad boy? And god only knows what he’ll do with the Kit-Kat!

• 126 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Todays targets:

Cissokho
    Debuchy
    Mbiwa
    Remy
    Konate
    Ganso

• 127 check the toastie // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM

WWYCD – bet you he has had more MOM’s on here in the last 12 months than any of the others you have mentioned, should be in the team instead of Simmo for sure, the other players mentioned are super players so it it is tough for him to cement a 1st team place.

Perch has done great when called upon calling him average is an insult. Name his last mistake, in fact name his last misplaced pass……..

• 128 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

So….Back to Breno’s challenge!

Team i think Pardew will field in the first leg…

———-Harper———
    Tav—Willo–Perch–Raylor
    Obertan–Gosling–Bigi–Marv
    ———-Ba——Shola——–

Wild guess, the silver fox always keeps me guessing and usually the guesses are wrong. But there you have it Breno, this is what I have taken from my journey in to Pardews mind.

• 129 ashwin say's // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM

bassong rejoins hughton and calderwood at Norwich
    best of luck to one of best player of 2008-09.
    and to one of best coach newcastle has seen so far.
    they served us good.

• 130 check the toastie // Aug 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Here’s a question for Alan Pardiola and all budding Football Managers out their.

How many times this season is Pardiola going to change formation during a game, as our midfield is being swamped. So far it is 1 out of 1. He needs to ditch the 442 unless we are directly against 2 midfielders in the middle of the park or else we will have problems IMO.

Most teams now are playing 4231, or 433, as good as Cheick and Tiote are they struggled last year when outnumbered and will struggle again unless the 442 is addressed.

In Pardiola’s defence i think we will play 3 in the middle away from home, might play Ba and Cisse in most home games, however Ba maybe pushed out left, a little like last year again. 442 leaves us for the most part struggling to have control of the match.

• 131 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Check…..I know he’s a beast, but he’s only one player Cheick Tiote :)

I agree, when we’re up against a 5 man midfield, we need to match it imo. I suppose there isn’t too much harm starting with a 4-4-2 and then adapting if needed, see if we can force a goal with two men up front, but if we want control, we need to so from the middle of the park.

• 132 HullMag6 // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM

If dawson can prove fitness, prepared to be a squad player and is cheap enough. Might well be worth a punt if a deal can be sorted.

• 133 JackButler // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM

According to TalkSport ( I know not the most reliable source out there) Fulham have agreed a 4.3 million pound deal with Twente for Douglas

• 134 gaz 44 // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM

have some of you actually seen Johnson play other than on the highlight reels .. he’s worse than benny for tracking back.. shoots at any given chance and for every time he does a bit of skill to skin a player the next time he loses it.. not saying he’s a bad player he’s far from it but to suggest he’s better than What we got is nowhere near i.m.o.. much rather have benny, marv, gutti.. wi the fact with Ferguson and sammi coming though on the wings wi obertan as a back up also i think a winger is last thing we need.. also having said that What happened with marv at the weekend heard different thjngs

• 135 nufc7lad // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Ketsabia, you really think Ganso is a realistic target? You really are a douche bag

• 136 Dutchmag // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Reports here that Fulham have agreed deal with FC Twente for Douglas – 5.5m euros

• 137 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

check
    Perch has had more MOM’s than any of the players I mentioned and he should be ahead of Simmo? Howay man he had his chance (more than once) to take the RB place when Simmo has been injured and he has never made it his own Simmo always took it off him straight away as for MOM he has had one or two voted for by the fans who hold him to lower expectations to other players

What PL team would have him in their starting 11? And saying he is average isnt a insult, saying he is sh*te is which I havent done. As for his mistakes I dont know but I dont tend to commit player mistakes to my memory

• 138 Jamiemac // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Really getting sick of all the stick Simpson is getting.

• 139 JackButler // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Di Rossi is staying with Roma, squeaky bum time???

• 140 geordiesteve520 // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Just reading that QPR are looking Michael Dawson, anyone else think that we should be interested in him? I know he is not the quickest so perhaps that is why we are not looking at him but still he’d go for about £5-7 million and he’d do a great job for us.

• 141 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Dutchmag

as soon as Jol came in I thought the Dutch connection would work against us.

• 142 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Ganso would be interested in coming to us, but I don’t think we’d pay out £15m for him.

Still waiting for Debuchy to sign.

We’ll have to go for Aldereweild if Douglas doesn’t want to sign for us.

• 143 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

We still have a huge problem if douglas is going to fulham ( a la Brian Ruis)

For now Colo and Taylor would be great, but if anything happens to Saylor as it is almost inevitably bound to , it’s back to Willo, unless Good can step up.

• 144 check the toastie // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

WWYCD – Simpspn was ‘injured’ after the Wigan away game last year, Perch took over and was class down Chelsea in possibly our best result for many a year.

Combative, Technical, Pacy, Has Presence and would die for the cause is what Perch brings to the team, averageness is Simmo’s speciality (excluding Goalline clearances and Statistics), think you getting the 2 mixed up.

• 145 Burni // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

perch is fast becoming one of my favourite players in the squad.

he is VERY good at every part of his game now. Im so glad he is performing at this level and hope he stays for as long as possible. would be excellent to see him in the CL next season

• 146 Rotonda heights // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

@139

sadly he’s more inury prone than Woodgate these days

• 147 Zebras4Life // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

3 players in — to 2 players in — to just Anita

• 148 Dutchmag // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

What i understandf is the bid from Fulham has been accepted, personnal terms still to be agreed. They are pretty adament his last game for Twente was last Sunday. I agree the Jol connection might have helped sway him but we have been known to steal in at the last minute. Maybe Derek is just trying to get Fulham to pay for his flight over…

• 149 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I swear if Douglas goes to Fulham, I’ll be raging! If he does, I hope we absolutely batter them when we play them!

• 150 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

check
    So Simmo either faked a injury or Pards made him fake a injury so we could have a worse RB in place instead?

Combative yes, technical no, pacy hes slower than Simmo and they both give their all for the cause. I think ur lefting ur self confessed over the top hatred of Simpson cloud ur views

Simpson started our season at RB and if he leaves we have been looking at signing another RB if Perch was better we would sell Simpson and have Perch in his place fact is Perch is a back up player not rotation

• 151 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Btw- has any1 heard any more news on who we were watching In that french game?

• 152 Zebras4Life // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Magpies — why blame the player for us not stepping up to the table? Would be a huge disappointment to NOT sign him as we lack quality in this position.

• 153 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Zebras- it says that we are also interested, and I’m pretty sure that Ashley would pay 5.5 million euros for him!

• 154 davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

be gutted if we lose out on douglas to fulham hes exactly what we need

• 155 ashwin say's // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM

bassong reunites with chris hughton

• 156 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

So I am back and I can see we’re in for one busy transfer day according to our very own Kets ;) lol

What else did I miss? :)

• 157 Zebras4Life // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Magpies – we should have had this deal done a month ago for a post September contract – Blame the brass bud.

• 158 check the toastie // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Simpson faster than Perch, think you need your TV calibrating. Boy runs like a crab. Technical and Cool yes he most certainly now is, plays good football even capable of one touch stuff, pass and move and all that, the comparisons to Simmo was started by you not me, i merely expanded/disagreed with your view.

My opinion is that Perch should now be our starting RB and Simmo should be moved on, eventually it will happen, you mark my words.

• 159 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Ibiza…I had a 4-3-3 looking like this:

_________ Harper __________
    Tav___Colo___Willo___Raylor
    ___________Anita__________
    ______Gosling___Jonas______
    Obertan____________Marveaux
    ____________Ba____________

But the Silver Supremo and I only seems to agree on winning is the most importing thing ;) lol

• 160 davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

adam campbell just tweeted buzzing so am assuming hes in the squad for greece or starting

• 161 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Remember Yannick Djalo? He moved to Benfica in January for free, but has only made 3 apps. Would love him here!

• 162 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Cool ;) I like young Ginger

• 163 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM

If Simpson leaves we will bring in a new FB either Santon or a new RB will start matches and Perch will remain on the bench for cover

I doubt Perch will ever be considered a full time starter he just inst good enough imo when he leaves NUFC I would be quite shocked if it was to a PL team and amazed if it was a top 10 side

• 164 Magpies-till-d3ath // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

On 31 January 2012, free agent Djaló signed a four 1/2-year contract with Benfica.

• 165 davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

id like to see this team in greece

elliott
    rtaylor tav willo ferguson
    biggie gosling
    obertan vukic marveux
    campbell

• 166 davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

since erik peiters was at the game on sat n was supposed to b at the training ground yesterday i reckon we could sign on the cheap with his injury n the fact simpson is staying would allow peiters to recover then simpson could leave in jan

• 167 Yohan4 // Aug 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

really impressed with pearch from last season and the start of this one, I would feel more confident with him at Rb than Simpson, his passing is much better and he now puts his foot in when he should, if no one comes in at Rb than I would like to see Pearch – Saylor – Colo – Santon as our starting defence as all they can all pass the ball out of the back and not just hoof it.

• 168 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM

pardews plan B

im still here, still read most of the blogs and coments but think some of them are pointless blogs,

like this one :(

i think so many build him and other up in our squad to be better than they really are, first priority should be to get a defender in, because both perch and williamson are not good enough, these players are great servants but will not make our club great again,

and using perch in midfield should be a very last option. we have kids that need to learn and are already better players than him

• 169 davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM

perch has become a really great player over the last half a season and hes the reason fans should get off obertans back, bcoz perch was shocking at first but turned it a around, and obertan will do the same hes got real talent he just lacks confidence n fans backing him will get his confidence up

• 170 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Kets
    What makes you think ganso would be intrested? And what makes you think £15 mil would be enough?

• 171 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

davybtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM

could not disagree more on this, perch has never became great, and obertan does not have the brain to be a footballer, every choice he seems to make is the wrong one, his control is beyond poor,

put them up for sale and you pick your top 10 prem clubs and see which one would have iether of them, none will be the answer

• 172 nufc90 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I really think I’m the only one that rates Simpson… I hope he stays

• 173 gaz 44 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

im sorry are some people for real suggesting perch is better than simmo .. think people are just obsessed with there hatred of Danny for What ever reason.. bet if you read the match reports from last year would be very rare he got slaughtered by an opposition winger… sure there’s better out there and i had hoped we would get a new right back in.. we haven’t and he’s alot better than perch there hence why pards plays Simpson.. some people need a reality check

• 174 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM

nufc90
    Ur not mate but maybe u suffer from what I do on here I tend to notice negative posts more than I notice positive ones but there are plenty out there who would happily have Simmo stay

• 175 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

ferguson should be our starting LB
    santon should be our starting RB

simpson had an ok game on sat, but he is not the answer

• 176 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

fantastic! Ketsbaia is back on the Ganso crap! Where are you going to play him exactly? who you gonna drop?
    If Kets looked up from his football manager screen he’d know Ganso is one of the most overrated players in Brazil! He had a lot of potential but is so injury prone and his form has suffered! Santos turned down 20m plus offers for him a few years ago and they won’t let him go for less than that now on the hope that he regains his form!

• 177 The Lost Potential of Albert Luque // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Sinclair apparently moving to man city, does anyone else think this is a bizarre move? Surely he’s used to sitting on the bench after so many years at Chelsea.

• 178 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

i think to many of you are just listening to what pardew is saying about perch, jedi mind tricks, his game has not changed since he came,
    when he played right back towards the end of the season he never crossed the half way line, and when you consider that the fulbacks now put in half the the crosses from the teams at the top, we would lose that option if he played at RB

• 179 Obafan // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

My opinion on the players is;

CLASSY:
    Demba Ba – Cisse – Krul – HBA – Collo – Cabaye – Tiote – Gutierrez – Anita (saw him lots in Dutch League)

GOOD (with space to improve) and/or USEFUL
    Saylor – Raylor – Santon – Perch – Simpson – Obertan (can imprive a lot and has not come true yet, but I still believe in him) – both Ameobi’s – Williamson (he makes so stupid mistakes every game, but is useful against strong forwards) – Harper – Abeid – Tavernier – Vuckic

BELOW AVERAGE and ready to be sold
    Gosling – Xisco (how will we get rid of him?) – Ranger (due his attitude)

I haven’t seen lots of Marveaux, Eliot, Tavernier, Campbell, Bigirimana, and Amalfitano to judge them.

• 180 steveno7 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

@nufc90
    no your not i rate simpson.
    im gettin more and more pi€¥#d off with people( so called toon fans)gettin on his case.
    Leave the bloke alone will yous .

• 181 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

think a new contract for Perch will be more about rewarding his work, improvements and performances! He’ll be one of the lowest paid players in the squad and for me deserves an increase! Think he deserves it too, the fact that the knives were really out for him a year ago and hes turned everyones opinion (and thats not easy) says something

• 182 magpiebop // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Perch,STaylor,Collocini,Santon.
    Aye canny Yohan4.
    Be nice to see us get M’biwa in to challenge. A good left footed leftback. That Remy everyone gans on about and Andy Carroll.

Get these players in and it sends a message to our rivals that we’re playing for prizes.

• 183 Obafan // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM

On post 177

I’ve noticed I’ve had 2x Tavernier, the one written in the list of good and/or useful should be replaced with the name of Ferguson

• 184 danishmag // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

is our team/squad maybe the best since 95`?
    And the finances much better as well.

Has the club overall ever been better, than today?

That´s my view.. what do you think?
    Is this our season?
    Could we gain the title this year?

I said we would end 6th last year, before the season started.. No one agreed, and said i was crazy..oops.. i was so very right on that, was i not?

One of the best keepers.
    Saylor/Colo one of the best defences.
    Cabaye/Tioté one of the best central midfield duos.
    Cissé and Ba two of the deadliest strikers in the league.
    And Ben Arfa, maybe the best offensive player in the league?!
    The best manager in the league. (he did win that title last year)
    And the squad players are not bad at all!

Well this year, i say top 3.. Could be going for the title..

Just my view at things, gents.. ;o)

• 185 9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

To WWYCD on Perchinio: I think you can begin to see yours is a minority view. This, of course, doesn’t mean you’re wrong, and you’re certainly entitled to any view you like, but you don’t seem to realise that every football team needs more than 11 players during a season – some of these players will not be first-11 choices, but they are absolutely essential, and I imagine you won’t disagree with that. Extending the lad’s contract would not only be what he has earned, but it would be a very smart piece of business, too – which means our management will do it – watch this space. Good luck to all, onward and upward for the NUFC.

• 186 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Obafan // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

you keep dreaming boy

omg , i think you based this on there looks or legs,

goslin is a tidy player, shola, come on man, still waiting for his potential to come through

jonas classy ? why cos he runs all day, he has been one of my fave players, but we get little out of him other than energy

• 187 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM

@danishmag – I think 4th place is the aim! Also think we’ll be closer to arsenal and man utd than last year! Spurs could be one hell of a team if they buy a left back and a centre forward! We definately need another striker, a full back (left of right) and a centre half as if the season goes well we’re going to be playing alot of games!

• 188 9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Danishmag – I agree all your positives, but the transfer window is only just springing to life, and I don’t imagine all the guys you mentioned will still be here on 1st Sept (Tiote)- hope I’m wrong!

• 189 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

danishmag // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

i agree

but our squad is made of really good or really average players,

pardew would go up in my estimations if he played the kids in the correct postions when they played, and played them infront of the likes of perch, obertan, shola

• 190 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

one of our big players will go, i think this is why we got vurnon in now,

priority should have been CF/CD/RB or LB

• 191 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

@Catchy – the thing is we haven’t got any kids that are currently as good as the likes of perch, obertan or shola! Its a results business and pardew needs to pick his strongest team as the buck stops with him! Obertan needs to step it up, but in training and reserves I hear hes a class apart, and perch’s versatility is crucial! not seen him have a bad game for ages and think he’s probably quite close to the starting 11! In basketball they would call Perch the 6th man, its a position just as important as the starting line up!

• 192 GeordieRealist // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Aye seems as though Benny is indeed banned, not that he would have played. Wonder if they’ll do that rubbish thing where they demanded Barton was on the bench for his ban to count.

• 193 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

We could be in for Benjamin Corgnet.

• 194 JackButler // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM

If this is Rangers then he should be throwing it away as he seems to have done the same thing with his career

• 195 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM

@Ketsbaia9 – geeeeesus, thats the first thing of sense i’ve seen you say! Corgnet is class! Rumour is hes going to Lille tho

• 196 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I think uve missed my point on Perch am not saying get rid of him but in 2 years time when his contract is up our kids will be between 19 and 23 old enough that they should all be pushing the first team or making a impact

Perch has done well I admit, not once have I said otherwise, but when his contract is up we should be looking to upgrade on what he offers us or push through younger players

• 197 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

what a load of tosh, vuckic and abied are both quality midfielders, both have got what it takes to be very good footballers,

and your so wrong about obertan in training, cos i hear that he is the same, a headless chicken, my lass, her best mate is going with jamie mclenn , he still speaks to ppl at the toon,

the diff between perch and colo or raylor, is milles apart, 2 different levels, and like i say if you fill your team with players of perch or obertan shola type of players the only way is down,

one carnt cross a ball or create much, one carnt score many goals and the other get a nose bleed when he goes over half way

• 198 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

So Yo….Why do you hate Perchy so much? Stop poisoning the blog with your negativity ;)

What is he, 25 / 26? I get what you’re saying, in 2-3 years time we’ll likely have a younger version and by that point a player like him very well may be holding back other players.

Still, think he deserves a little sweetener in his deal, he has done so well and it would be good to show other players etc that hard work is rewarded.

• 199 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

perch can tackle, and dosnt bottle that, i like that about him

• 200 JackButler // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I wonder who will become public enemy No#1 after Simpson??? as it seems that Perch, Raylor and Shola are being left alone these days FFS

• 201 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Anybody who pays that for a fizzy pop medal,needs to be took away by men in white coats.

• 202 catchy in norway // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

• 203 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Catchy…You’re a bundle of joy, aren’t you mate :)

Not saying your wrong, some of the players mentioned are not world class, but whilst we are assembling a squad, they do what is asked of them and generally give it their all. I’m sure Pards and co know the areas that need improving and as time goes by, they will.

We also can’t comment on how Pards will use the young players this season, we have a lot more games (hopefully), so I’d expect them to get a lot more playing time this season than last. You can’t really say Pardew got it wrong last time round, we did finish 5th, so he obviously got a few things right along the way and team selections would likely be one of them imo.

• 204 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think perch is going to give Simpson a real battle for that right back spot. Perch might just make it his own and turn out to be 1 of the best right back in the league.

And will move to bayern for 15 million at the end of the season.

• 205 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

@catchy – think abeid and vuckic have great potential, but at this moment in time Shola is more effective than vuckic and Perch more so than abeid in the first teaam! Not saying that will be the case forever but at the moment it is! When vuckic comes on as sub he doesnt nothing, whereas shola does create problems coming off the bench! Not sure about at toon, but I know at Man Utd obertan was exceptional in training and for the reserves, his problem was mental, couldn’t handle the expectation from playing for man utd! Vuckic has shown nothing really since he has been here! In fact, he’s in the same position now he was 2/3 years ago, on the cusp of the bench! He’s been overtaken by players like sammy and its quite possible it just might never happen for him here

• 206 alex84 // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Kets,aldereweild is not going anywhere, why do you talk as if we can just sign anyone at will.

• 207 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Ibiza
    Haha everyone seems to be taking my opinion like that which I swear isnt even close to what I mean

Thats my point exactly by the time his current contract is up I expect that the club should be better than it is now and Perch wont fit in with that image.

I agree that that we should rewards should be offered to hard working players but showing ambition has to be the priority. I dont consider signing Perch up to a long term deal as ambitious. Perch signs a 5 year contract tomorrow in 2-3 years time where will he be in our squad?

• 208 Zebras4Life // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Any signings yet? Getting impatient. Need to fill some holes

• 209 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Somebody should report that ebay listing to the club & get it took of ebay.

Trying to screw your own fans over.3500 there taking the p***

• 210 Gateshead-Mag // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

love perch me like

the things that make him good are;

he alwasys plays his heart out

chucks himself in front of shots/always in the right place

always plays the simple pass

i think hes much more suited to playing centerally as hes not got the crossing ability pace or ability to run past people, but his simple passing and tackling game is ideal for cb or dm

perch i love you!!!!!……too far??

• 211 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Yo….I hear you, but a player like him cannot be undervalued. Whose to say the young players coming through would be happy to take a similar role at the club? If these guys are as good as we hope they’ll be, they will want to be starting games and if we can’t provide that, they may well look for other things. Not saying a bumper 5 year contract is the way forward, but I wouldn’t mind him being on a decent wage for the next 3 years say.

Oh well, the club will do what they feel is best no doubt. They never listen to us. I wonder why?!? :)

• 212 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hyphen…”Put the Perchinho down! Step away slowly and keep your hands where we can see them. Good lad”.

• 213 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

my bet for that medal would be Nicky Butt…. for someone thats won everything he’s won, it wouldnt surprise me if he’d given that medal to someone! Remember seeing an interview with him where he said he didn’t even know where half his man utd medals were and trophies weren’t important to him, it was actually the winning that was but outside of football he likes to keep seperate and doesnt have any medals, trophies or pictures up in his house

• 214 Gateshead-Mag // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

jayphoto,

was butt even still with us when we got promoted??

• 215 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Ibiza
    Fair one our youngsters may not all work out and some will probably leave for other clubs but at the same time we will keep bringing in players over the next two years certainly more defenders so for me two years and Perch wont have a place in the club so Perch signing a new higher waged 3 year deal would mean the club spending more on him for little reason

All of this is just my opinion though when the kids on the pitch he gets my backing (I did seem to cause a stir though didnt I? Haha)

Aye club will do as the club will do….I will continue to flog him on FM and Fifa though :D Raylor too

• 216 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

yeah he played about 15 games, actually played really well in some of them! you get a medal after 10 appearances so he would have received one! same as fabrice pancrate and marlon harewood would also have got medals!

• 217 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Yo…They always get Fifa flogged :)

You little stir causer you ;)

• 218 Gateshead-Mag // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

jayphoto

aaah nice 1, having trouble remembering that far back hahaha

• 219 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

just remember him lifting the trophy up when we won it! I was not really a nicky butt fan and he seemed to make the starting line up everytime i got to a game that season lol

• 220 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

just looked it up. Butt was actually captain of the promotion winning team with alan smith as vice captain…. lol theres a future pub quiz question right there

• 221 Mr Random // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Anyone know if the Europa league game is live? Or will it be a stream?

• 222 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza
    Hey least it wasent another thread on Debuchy! In fact I remained completely on topic throughout

• 223 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Butts last game we got a pen barton got the ball to give it to butt and shola took it off him lol

• 224 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Yo….Oh how I long for a Debuchy thread, one on AC wouldn’t go amiss either :)

Now football has started again we seem to be able to stay more on topic, I suppose as there is actual football to talk about – it’s been a long time coming.

• 225 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

oooh adam campbells in the squad to go to Greece! great chance for him!

• 226 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Ibiza
    Haha well it will no doubt start up now we have mentioned him…I miss de Jong ones :D

We will see how long the new found focus lasts. This Douglas thing seems to be the new buzz topic agent in London thus talking to Fulham….isnt Fat Ash based in London just a thought

• 227 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Jay…Has the squad been announced or has Campbell said something? Really pleased for the lad. Don’t want to put pressure on him, but he looks like a great talent ready to make some impact with the bigger boys, can only be good news!

• 228 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yo….De Jong, cor that seems a lifetime ago. Douglas talk was always going to pick up around now. I naively thought we already had it tied up :) Fat Ash is everywhere, so never say never.

• 229 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

nah squads not been announced, he was told today at training though, really interested to see what team we put out over there! Im expecting Anita Cabaye and Tiote all to play at chelsea so be interesting….. everyone in greece is saying Atromitos have lost all their best players and are no hopers….

• 230 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Jay…I saw that too. Although, you can never discount anyone, especially on their home turf overseas. On paper, we should be able to deal with it and I am quietly confident that we can. Be so great to get some regular European football again, it’s been sorely missed!

• 231 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Corgnet isn’t world class yet. He hasn’t made an appearance for France yet.

The majority of players want to sign for us. Pardew has even admitted it. It’s just down to Mike Ashley and Lambias.

Mbiwa, Debuchy, Cissokho, Douglas, Remy etc all want to come to us.

• 232 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

was a good draw for us regardless, glad we’ve not got Anzhi!
    I thought douglas was tied up too, was hoping it was, hes a hell of a player! I love steve taylor, makes me laugh but if douglas signs he’ll have his place by christmas, he really is that good

• 233 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Ibiza
    Blast from the recent past :). Yeah very true can see a few twists in the Douglas transfer

• 234 matty_magpie // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Qpr make 5.5 mill bid for tottenham Michael Dawson, if thats the case a thinks the toon should give this a go anyone agree?

• 235 Zero // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Kets where do you get that Mbiwa, Cissoko and Remy want to come to us from?

• 236 Magpie from Lithuania // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

ToonAndy // Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM

@58

That’s the team i dream of :) Best pick IMO, BA and Carroll starts in 4-4-2 He he :)

• 237 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

@kets please tell me 1 thing!! have you watched Aly Cissokho since he went back to france!?? Not at porto, but since he signed for lyon,, hes been awful for 2 seasons, i could name you 5 left backs in ligue 1 alone that are better than him hands down! Also don’t recall ever seeing Remy talk about newcastle, as much as i like douglas, he’s not exactly trying to force a move here either and mbiwa wants to use us as a stepping stone to a bigger club…..

• 238 Magpie from Lithuania // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Gosling will surely play in athens :)

• 239 Zero // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

@Jay i was just about to post that lol

all Kets posts now revolve around his CM transfers, i mean FFS Ganso …really, i signed on FIFA so he must want to come (-.-)!

That and him slaggin Willo and Simpson

• 240 JAMSHA // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

guess Ketsbaia 9 is a newcastle Journalist..

• 241 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

would happily see an athens team of
    Harper/Elliott
    Tavernier, williamson, Good and r Taylor
    Obertan, Gosling, Perch and Marveaux
    Vuckic and campbell
    Think tbh campbell will be on the bench! That line up should give us enough to get a result! to be honest that team playing week in week out would have a chance at winning the greek league!

• 242 Kyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Looks like we are missing out on Douglas as Fulham are bidding more than us.

• 243 jayphoto // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

@zero – he seems to think we’re some kind of real madrid where young french boys grow up dreaming of a chance to play for Newcastle United! We are a great option for a lot of players as we play to a high standard and have aspirations of breaking into the champions league, but we’re not a team foreign players dream of playing for! Unfortunately teams like that are man utd, real madrid, ac milan, i mean c’mon, even Santiago Munez left us for madrid when he got half the chance

• 244 Zero // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I mentioned eariler but from what ive seen of Douglas (probs not enough) he has a fairly short fuse, could be another Joey Barton. Correct me if im wrong i probs am lol

I hope this isnt the case if we do sign him, but if Fulham get him i hope hes an easy carder.

• 245 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Michael Dawson would be ideal.

• 246 Kyo // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Why are so tight uuuugh buy some players dammit. THIS COULD BE OUR YEAR! :(

• 247 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If that bid from Qpr gets accepted we should get in there straight away.

• 248 9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM

WWYCD: I see you’re planning 2 years ahead, this being your reason for not wanting the Great One to get an extended contract. Has it occurred to you there is no guarantee how good any player anywhere will be in 2 years’ time? Perchinio might be useless/knackered/same as now/vastly imporoved by then, and I don’t think it would be terribly wise to punt on which one it’ll be. He’s earned a pay rise and we would be shrewd to extend his contract just in case he might be a more attractive propositon to other clubs by then – it certainly won’t cost us an arm and a leg, given the likely level of his current pay.

I concede completely you’ve never said he’s no good, but my earlier comments are still valid and you seem rather rash to write him off for the future, which you now clarify is your view.
    HWTL

• 249 Fostino // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

i reckon perchy is worth a slight pay rise…great squad player and is a great example to other players that if you want it enough, you’ll get the rewards.

• 250 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

There’s been a recent article about Mbiwa being interested in joining us.

Cissokho stated his interest in January. He’s desperate to sign for us.

• 251 Fostino // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

dawon at 5.5 is a bit pricy…would rather douglas at 4m

• 252 BigKirky // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Wonder if Vertonghen was sitting there on Sat wishing he was playing for the Toon instead?

• 253 steveno7 // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I have no doubts that if dawson is available MA and AP would be interested.i think hel be a better option than douglas. and i want remy hes quality. but have a feeling we wilm be havin big Andy back home.dont mind that as long as he is happy being behind ba and cisse. i have no doubt the guys upstairs have it all in hand . bring on chelski. And Manure put that in ya pipe and amoke it ha ha ha ha

• 254 pardews plan B // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Any news? Transfers? Rumours? Kets scouting? Nut based currency? Rum? Ill take anything. Please tell me something

• 255 Hencha Boii // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

@kets – This isn’t Football Manager! You really don’t have a clue, your naming all these players which haven’t really been linked with us, a mean Ganso, your living in dream land kid!

• 256 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Perch is 26 now its not a huge leap to say he is the player he will always be so the likelyhood he will develop more isnt high (there are exceptions yes but its far from the norm). He is a back up player and cover for injuries and am happy for him to be that but in the next 2 years NUFC will bring in players of better quality (we wont downgrade on what we have and Carr hasent let us down yet so I have faith in that)

Also our younger players will play more and have more chances in the first team, some will shine some will fall thats football but they will play

Now Perch is a average 26 year old utility player and imo in 2 years time he will be a average 28 year old utility player I dont think he will have a place at the club by that time and currently there is no pressure to give him a new contract (no clubs are lining up to sign him and he is happy where he is).

All likelyhood is he will get a new contract and either NUFC continue to evolve into a better team meaning he will spend the extension sitting on the bench until he is pushed off that or NUFC will faulter lose some of the quality players we have and not replace them with equal quality and Perch will play first team football

Thats my opinion and am not sorry for it. I am happy for Perch to be in and around the squad for the next 2 years to cover injuries and close out games but longer than that am not sold on though maybe I am wrong to expect a better quality of back up player in 2 years?

• 257 WWYCD // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Anyway am off for a bit so I will read all the comments stating am wrong later haha

• 258 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hands up, how many has either Perch or Raylor in the FF team?

don’t be shy now ;-)

• 259 jesperfuglsang // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

ppB…I am still waiting for the club to announce something on Ket’s list of signings of the day :-)

• 260 9 // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

WWYCD:
    Fair call on the age issue, though few would doubt our captain is a better player now than when he was 26, so I advise caution!

• 261 BelfastMagpie87 // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Would much rather pay 5.5 million for a proven premier league player,than pay 4 million for somebody from the dutch league.

Especially a centre back.

• 262 dembademba // Aug 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

fergie had j o’shea, wesley ginger brown etc in the squad for years. we need raylors n perchinhos. no doubt about it !

• 263 DraperNUFC10 // Aug 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Follow me on twitter @Daniel_Draper95, I’ll follow back!! Plenty of NUFC tweets aswell ;) HWTL

• 264 Craborumtoon // Aug 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

He’s doing really well for us – a terrific squad player – very versatile too. He has improved so much.

previous post: Newcastle Already Have Top Young Striker On Their Books