The news from Newcastle lately is that the powers that be on Tyenside are more interested in keeping their top players at the club before September 1st rolls around, rather than bringing additional players in, and there seems to be some late bids about to be lodged for some of the Magpies’ top players.
Cheick Tiote – in action for Newcastle on Saturday
We have to believe that Newcastle have already been contacted by some top clubs inquiring about our players, otherwise Alan Pardew wouldn’t keep saying he’s worried he could lose some players before the transfer window slams shot on Saturday 1st September.
Chelsea are after Cheick Tiote and Manchester United are said to be preparing a bid for Yohan Cabaye, and Arsenal are now reported to be interested in Cheick Tiote, as a replacement for the recently departed Alex Song.
Song went to Barcelona earlier this week for around £15M, and if Arsenal do come in with a bid for Cheick in the next 9 days, it will be interesting to see what price Mike Ashley is willing to accept for the Ivorian, who cost only £3.5M from FC Twente a couple of years ago.
Arsenal were expected to bring in Rennes midfielder Yann M’Vila as a replacement for Song, but the deal seems to have got bogged down.
But it still seems that Tiote is second choice for Arsenal and their first choice is the Rennes 21 year-old – after all he is French – and this is what Rennes Director Pierre Dreossi told the French press today about where Yann M’Vila could end up:
“Arsenal? Maybe, you would have to ask Arsene Wenger.” “But with Song leaving, it means that Arsenal are going to reinforce that position.”
“I think that it can be settled by the end of this week or the start of next.” “But it is complicated because some clubs are not agreed within their clubs about the deal, and there are clubs where Yann does not want to go.”
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew seems a little worried that some late bids could come in – even on the last day of the transfer window for stars like Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye and possibly other too, and this is how he expressed that yesterday:
“We are on our guard in case some really big bid comes in and we need to react because if someone goes out, another player will come in.” “But success for me in this transfer window would be losing none of our stars.”
We don’t expect Mike Ashley to accept any bids unless they on a scale of the deal we made with Liverpool for £35M in January of 2010 for Andrew Carroll, but that still left us short of a replacement for Andy for the rest of that season, because there was not enough time to bring in a suitable replacement for the Geordie striker.
That cannot happen this time around.
You can also reach Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org