The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Impressive Bigirimana Grateful To Be Part Of Magpies’ Adventure

11:29 pm, Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Gael Bigirimana once again put in a good performance in Newcastle colors tonight, when he made his Newcastle debut in a competitive game, and again looked a very accomplished player for one still only 18 years old, and it’s not an overstatement to say this lad could even be challenging for a starting position by the end of this season, if he keeps up his rapid progress on Tyneside.

Gael Bigirimana in action tonight – he looked good

Gael did himself no harm at all with his performances in pre-season,  and he carried on with the same good form tonight, as he continues to learn the game from the players around him, and he’s already looking like a bargain buy for £1M.

Gael has come on a ton in the last year, and even since he arrived at Newcastle in the summer, but this lad still has his feet firmly on the ground, and already looks like a potentially great future player for Newcastle.

This is what he said on the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game:

“It feels really good,”  “The performance of the boys was good, it was a great game, a great debut and it is a joy.”  “It was difficult conditions, with the heat and the pitch, but we are going to have to get used to these sort of places in Europe.”

“It’s a great experience for us to play on different pitches and in different conditions.”  “I never could have dreamed that this would be happening so quickly for me. As I always say, I just thank God for blessing me with all these opportunities and I’m just so grateful to be a part of this adventure.”

“We now go back to our stadium and the game is in our hands. We need to get a good result and we are full of confidence that we can do that.” “They are a good side but I thought we just looked a bit sharper all over the pitch tonight and hopefully we can make that count in the second leg.”

“I made a couple of mistakes in the game but I’m still learning, I’m learning every day.” “Having someone like Vurnon alongside me was great. Everyone can see his class and I know I can learn a lot from players like him.”

“He’s a top, top player and I will get better by training with these guys and playing alongside them. Hopefully I can continue to improve.”

There’s no doubt the lad is still learning and he will make mistakes, but that’s how youngsters improve their game, and by all accounts he’s getting some great advice for players like Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote, who have both taken him under their wing.

Gael is another fabulous acquisition for Newcastle United, and he seems a smashing lad too.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Europa League · European Competition · Gael Bigirimana · Newcastle News · Vurnon Anita · Yohan Cabaye

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 alanrichie // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM

The match tonight was prob the worst match ive ever seen,

ref got every decision wrong and our players didnt seem interested.

Horrible performance i thought.

• 2 Toon_Jock // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I’ve seen worse games, like getting smashed by spurs and Fulham last season

• 3 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

That was due to the weather. Some could cope. Some couldn’t. It’s a new adventure for us. Relax.

• 4 ToonDownSouth // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

The fact that one of the Greek players collapsed because he was so dehydrated, probably gives an indication of the conditions (;

• 5 Toon_Jock // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Wait til they arrive at SJP hohoho they had about 200 supporters tonight :)

• 6 Kyo // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Of course it was a poor performance. We played mostly reserves/fringe/youngsters.

• 7 Sholadona // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

@alanrichie How long have you been a fan? I’ve seen a full first team play worse than that multiple times.

• 8 ToonDownSouth // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM

The only complaint I really have, is that I can’t help but feel that it was a waste of Cisse.

Now we have only Ba up top for the Chelsea game. I actually really fancied us to beat them if we had Ba & Cisse up top again.

Hopefully Ba will flourish and gain confidence from being the main man again though.

• 9 ToonDownSouth // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I love how Pardew and the players all think that it was a brilliant result – yet some of the clowns on here think it’s the end of days.

• 10 Minato // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I think considering the conditions (namely the heat) and the fact we were playing a young reserve side I’d take this as a good enough result. I think the message was clear from Pards when the lads set off for Greece….just don’t lose the game. Frankly this will do for me. I’d rather look at the positives…Bigi and Anita both looked good in the middle and I feel most than comfident that we will comfortably progress when we get them back to our patch.

While Cisse started I’d still expect him to feature against Chelsea on Saturday, think we will need the threat of both Dembas to get a result from this one. On another note my wife has now successfully predicted 8 of our last games correctly in a row…really is crazy…tempted to sling on a bet…but you know soda law and all…

• 11 Minato // Aug 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Sods law …. F****** apple…

• 12 alkinou // Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Don’t you think that even if he played today, Cisse’s still capable of playing on saturday?

I know the two matches are close but they are professional athletes, shouldn’t they be capable of playing two games in quick succession once in a while?

• 13 iggystinger // Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I never thought our perfomance was that bad 1st half was nothing to write home about but thought 2nd half we were a lot better got to mind it was a young team a lot who have never played in europe the heat was also a major factor overall i think the lads done well the draws a good result and we,ll finish them off at home

• 14 FatmanJoe // Aug 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Hmm Alan I’m not sure that can be true. Even if you’ve been a supporter for the past five yrs you will have seen much worse performances than this one – last season even! I think your statement is a bit strong and a bit wrong.

Bigi looks the business and conducts himself perfectly. Really pleased we have aquired him and Anita as they add so much to our squad. A few players were poor tonight but I fully expect those same players to do the job back here.

• 15 Spuggy // Aug 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

This game was about resting top players, giving the reserves a chance, playing sensibly and not too high a tempo, controlling the game, getting a win or at least a draw without any injuries so we can focus on the big game on the weekend.

Job done.

• 16 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Aug 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I totally agree with you on this Spuggy @ 15!

We beat a good side last sat with our first team. Pardew gambled on giving some of the youngsters and fringe players a run-out against a mediocre Greek team! Almost 100 degrees on a dodgy pitch!

His gamble paid off and a draw going into a home fixture should see us safely through to the next round.

Of course you have the doom merchants on here, on other threads saying that this is a disaster and we,ll be relegated this year? We played a second team with the youth players involved, so i,m not sure what the rest of you were expecting?

This game was always going to be played with a vieuw to keeping all the first team players fit for the Stanford Bridge game this week-end!

Like you said Spuggy, “Job Done”!

• 17 north_country_boy // Aug 24, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Everyone thinks we should have gone over there and beat them 6-0…games like that don’t happen very often and especially in Europe nowadays…yes they are only a Greek league side but to them it would have been like a cup final…at the end of the day, we went over there with a fringe squad, given them European experience, played in tough conditions on a dodgy pitch and come away with an away goal and nothing to fear next week whilst keeping most of our big players fresh for tomorrow – mission accomplished in my book…now stop moaning and support the lads!

• 18 one Tony Green // Aug 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Obviously you have only seen a couple of Newcastle games if you think this was the worst. Being able to use our whole squad for games will be invaluable this season. Job not done yet but an away goal and blooding some of the youngsters bodes well for progression to the later stages.
    SJP HWTL

• 19 Eyeball81 // Aug 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Spuggy@15, spot on mate… pards will want the strongest 11 he can field for chelsea…also some of the youngsters like bigi and tavs need to be playing competitive matches at a higher level without having to much pressure on them. wouldve rather seen amalfitano starting instead of gosling (still not convinced) also (people will say I’m a negger) but Im worried that vuckic is gonna be another viana…excellent prospect but just doesnt fulfill his potential…that is all :-)

previous post: Ryan Taylor The Best In Premier League At Dead Ball Situations