Steven Taylor Played In Newcastle’s Last European Game

Steven Taylor is the only player who is still at Newcastle who played in our last European game at St. James’ Park back in Match of 2007, when we beat AZ Alkmaar 4-2, and were three goals up after only 23 minutes of that game. Steve Harper was a sub on the bench with Shay Given in goal.

Steven Taylor – played in Newcastle’s last European game

However we were beaten in the return leg at Alkmaar 2-0 the following Thursday, and we were eliminated on away goals.

Steven has been interviews in The Times today and says that terrible relegation of three years ago actually helped Newcastle in the long run:

“The best thing for Newcastle was getting relegated.” “For me, that knocked everyone down to size; club, players, fans, even the media in a way because the expectations seeped away.”

“When I think about five years ago, the club felt like Big Brother. There was always something happening, always drama.” “But those days are gone and that’s important. That’s why we’ve been able to move on as a team and as a club.”

“We’ve got players who actually want to be here and do well for the club. It’s not about the pay packet.” “Sometimes in the past, the dressing room looked like a group of islands – the foreigners stuck together, the young lads, the old heads.”

“That can’t happen now. We’re such a small squad that everybody has got to mix.” “People would finish training and go straight home. I wouldn’t see them until the next day and you wouldn’t get much conversation out of them.”

“Sometimes you’d hardly speak to the players you were lining up with on a Saturday. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why we’re succeeding now.” “This feels like an exciting time.” “After everything this club has been through, it feels like we can deal with anything.”

“We raised the bar by finishing fifth last season and we want to improve – that’s the pressure we’ve got.” “But after everything this club has been through, it feels like we can deal with anything. We want to make the most of it.”

“We left St James’ Park after the first game back in March of 2007 with everyone thinking, ‘This might be Newcastle’s year’.”  “We took it for granted that the game was dead and buried – we all believed we’d qualified. That was our biggest mistake.”

“And then we went to Alkmaar, took our foot off the gas, and everything went wrong.”

It’s unlikely that Steven will start tonight, as Alan Pardew needs to keep some top players back for the game at Chelsea which kicks off at 5:30 pm on Saturday afternoon.

And with Shola Ameobi and Demba Ba both injured, we have only Papiss Cisse and 17 year-old Adam Campbell as recognized strikers in the squad, which is why we think Adam will get his chance tonight.

Pardew may pack the midfield and play only Papiss up front, at least at the start of the game, but we’re almost certain Adam will come on, and become the youngest player ever to play for Newcastle in Europe.

If that happens he will beat the record held by the then 17 year-old  Andy Carroll, who played at Palermo back in November of 2006, and Tim Krul made his first team debt for the club in that game too at just 18 years old – a game which Newcastle won 1-0 and Tim was Man of the Match with a brilliant display.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

ilovetoon8788 // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

did anyone catch the chelsea reading game last night. Hazard ripped reading fullbacks all day long. i take back what i said about arfa being better than hazard.

sorry after yesterday’s performance arfa is awesome but hazard is from another footballing planet. with simpson at times clumsy defending, expect hazard to run riot.

as long as we score more. i’m fine.

14ilovetoon8788 // Aug 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

against players like hazard, is why we so desperately need Debuchy quality fullback.

• Beattie25

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for the great answer Ibiza.

Can I just take this opportunity to thank you for doing this today.

Also a call to all bloggers not to as generic questions for every reader but specific ones to Ibizatoon. Thanks.

Ok I’ll go for the next one Ibiza as I think people are a little nervous to as questions so I’ll keep breaking the ice until someone gets the confidence.

What is your greatest nufc moment and why?

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ibiza…I would like to start by saying thank you for letting me know this time that we were moving on to the next thread, before I started a sing a’long 😉

Here we go:

Q3) or maybe more depending: Stevie Wonder or Lionel Rihie? 😉 and why?

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM

*Richie

• pardews plan B

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

@ibiza where do babies come from?

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

What are your honest opinions on the mackem slayer, Shola Ameobi?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Beattie….Firstly, great question, you really are moving things along nicely here.

My greatest moment would have to be the 5-0 thrashing of Man United. That was my first season as a toon fan, in fact, it was after there 4-0 beating of us in the Charity shield that I decided Newcastle was the team for me :). That game was just brilliant and the commentator going….”It’s Phillipe Allllbbbbbbeeeeerrrtt” will live with me until the day I die.

• pardews plan B

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

@ibiza who will score the first goal tonight?

• Beattie25

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Lots of questions coming in now Ibiza.

Dont feel the need to answer all if them just the ones that appeal.

My next question:

One of my testicles hangs about 1cm lower than the other but it’s slightly smaller in size. Should I be concerned?

• pardews plan B

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

@ibiza is it true that if you don’t use it, you lose it?

• Beattie25

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Back to nufc.

If you could be stuck in a lift with any nufc player past or present who would you choose and why?

• Beattie25

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Ibiza

Why should I go black and never go back?

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

It’s a good thing you had that disclaimer there Beattie 😉 lol

• Turkish Magpie

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM

@Ibiza, which of our youngsters do you think shows the most promise and which do you think is closest to the first team, Pardew says Sammy but I highly disagree and think Tavernier should definately be starting as in my opinion he’s the best right back at the club.

• toon smart

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

@ Beattie25

Answer to your question at post 9 is No!

• Gateshead-Mag

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

ibiza

are you now a not so local celebrity??

• IFC.Toon

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ilovetoon…

• IFC.Toon

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Ilovetoon…

I would say Ben Arfa and Hazard are near enough on equal terms as Hazard is a more competent passer of the ball and is always looking for the killer pass however Ben Arfa is a better dribbler. Both are supremely talented and will sure to be one of the top performers in the prem

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Just want to apologise, we’ve been experiencing some technical difficulties with our live feed, but we will aim to answer all your questions now.

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM

People you need to give Ibiza some breathing room – there is a lot of presure on him right now and the spotlight can change people 😉

…and you have to remember I just asked him to choose between Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie and that’s like choosing between your kids 😉 lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Jesper…Stevie Wonder as he’s brilliant and not an annoying ball bag 🙂

Beattie…Talking of ball bags 🙂 – Not concerning at all.

PPB….I hope not 😉

Beattie….Wor Dreamboat, you know why 😉

Turkish…Great question. I honestly haven’t seen quite enough of them to make a reasonable judgement. I am a big fan of Sammy’s and Tav, but young Bigi has really impressed me in his short time at the club and expect big things from the lil warrior.

Hyphen…It would seem so. It was only a matter of time 🙂

Ta Da!!! I think I’m caught up

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Whoops Jesper…seems like the timing of that comment couldn’t have been worse 🙂

• brighter

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM

brighter

Ed didn’t say he wasn’t (;

• TorqToon

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Ibiza – If you could choose 1 former player, (sold / retired / passed away or whatever) to play in this team and in their best form – who would it be and why?

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Ibiza

What’s your name, address, telephone number, age, and gender?

• pardews plan B

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ibiza i asked 3 questions. Why did you ignore the first two?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

PPB…Seems I missed a couple of your wonderful questions, apologies.

Babies come from late nights out on town after lots of drinking…well, that’s where I came from anyway.

First to score tonight (can’t remember what I said earlier), I think Cisse. Actually Kuqi will score first, Cisse to equalise, Gosling or Obertan our second and Campbell to grab a third.

• Indian Magpie

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ibiza,

will Shola score 100 goals for NUFC in all competitions?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM

PPB…Mainly because I dislike you, but have since answered them, so wind ya neck in, ay? 🙂

Torq…Tough one that. Would have to go for either Peter Beardsley, Gazza or Shearer, the reasons I think are pretty obvious. They were amazing.

TDS.

Name: Peter
    Address: Ibiza
    Telephone No: Ha ha, he he, ho ho.
    Age: 25
    Gender: Varies

• bollance

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Spanish prince, start Campbell or bring him on in 2nd half?

• rainrix

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Ibiza… How many bears could bear grylls grill if bear grylls could grill bears?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Indian…Thank you for joining us, I’m glad you accepted our special invitation. 100 goals this season? 🙂

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Scums swoop Steven Fletcher for 15million pounds. what the heck.

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ibiza…you gotta throw some love in there for good old Lionel as well 😉 gotta keep Ed happy mate…I don’t like being censured.. lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Bollance…Without knowing the mental character of the lad, it’s tough. If Pardew feels he can handle it, start him. We’re not looking for a draw minimum today, so no real pressure to score. Expect a defensive game and try nick a goal or two. I think that could suit Campbell tonight and give Cisse a rest unless needed.

Rainrix….Well, I can tell you Bear Grylls and I have enjoyed many a BBQ together. The most he managed to grill in one afternoon was seven, but we only managed to eat 5.5 and lots of potato salad. A good day was had by all.

• nufc786

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Know it sounds funny
    But, I just can’t stand the pain
    Girl, I’m leaving you tomorrow
    Seems to me girl
    You know I’ve done all I can
    You see I begged, stole, and I borrowed! (yeah)

• nufc786

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Ooh that’s why I’m easy
    I’m easy like Sunday morning
    That’s why I’m easy
    I’m easy like Sunday morning!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Jesper…I shall not! And you young man deserve to be censored 😉

• nufc786

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Why in the world would anybody put chains on me?
    I’ve paid my dues to make it
    Everybody wants me to be
    What they want me to be
    I’m not happy when I try to fake it! no!

1 2 3 7