Chelsea vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Newcastle will have their second tough game in as many days late tomorrow afternoon, when they take on the European Champions Chelsea on their home turf at Stamford Bridge in London.

And we think if Newcastle can get anything out of this game it will be a good result, although it’s still not clear which players will be fit enough to start the game.

We’d be very surprised if any of the players who started the game against Atromitos in Athens, Greece on Thursday night start the game tomorrow, but there are still injury doubts with Shola Ameobi and captain Fabricio Coloccini.

If both are fit then they could come in for Papiss Cisse and James Perch, who started both last Saturday and also on Thursday night, although with Papiss Cisse’s two fantastic goals in the 2-0 Newcastle win in this same fixture last season, it seems strange that he would not start this game.

But such are the challenges of also being in Europe this season, so this is the Newcastle team we think Alan Pardew will announce tomorrow for the game, which has a late kick-off  time of 5:30 pm, and will be televised live around the world.

Krul
Simpson Taylor (S) Coloccini (C) Santon
Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Gutierrez
Ameobi (Sh) Demba Ba
Subs: Harper Perch Williamson Taylor (R) Anita Amalfitano Cisse

We could be wrong about the team and of course if either Shola or Fabricio fail their fitness tests then we think Perch and Cisse will be forced into starting two games in just two days.

And there will not be room on the bench for a number of top Newcastle players, but those on the bench did quite well on Thursday night, and it’s getting difficult for a lot of our players to make the match day squad of 18.

Ryan Taylor was the star man for Newcastle on Thursday night,  so he is likely to see some action in the second half tomorrow.

Chelsea have started the league well with two good wins, but they looked a little dodgy at home on Wednesday evening against newly promoted Reading, and though they started the game well they showed some frailties at the back in defense.

Goalkeeper Petr Cech made a howler for one of the Reading goals, so we hope to see Newcastle putting in the shots against the Czech Republic goalkeeper.

The keys to the game for Newcastle are again that our defense can be strong and resilient, and we can hopefully rely on some opportunist goals from the likes of Demba Ba and Shola up front, and that certainly worked well last week with Demba Ba firing home a terrific goal and his first since early February.

And Ben Arfa will also be a key player for Newcastle, after his fine performance in the opening game of the season, when he was the match-winner for the Magpies.

Ba is in form at the moment, and he can score at almost any time and from almost anywhere in or around the penalty box, so it’s important that our defense stays strong and doesn’t let in any sloppy goals.

This is a big test for Newcastle, especially after playing an important Europa League game on Thursday night, and we’d be happy with a draw, but a win would be fantastic, and not out of Newcastle’s reach if our lads can play somewhere near their best.

What team would you play tomorrow at Chelsea?

And also let us know what you think the result will be.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Chelsea

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Sazzer

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

We use to think your talents was afraid of the dark
    because they could never be seen on St.James Park.
    But now we know
    they where never there
    Thanks to the stadium of lights!
    Oh dear little blue boy Johnson
    Keep on fooling those Mackems
    Keep on ripping them off

• FatmanJoe

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

4th

• toonLYF

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

excited

• Tooooon

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Why does Ed think that Ameobi will be starting?

• FatmanJoe

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM

2-2

Lampard penalty (he’s in my dream team)
    Ba equaliser
    Own goal Simpson because he’s clearly championship quality
    90+4 Shola!!!!!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Would be delighted with a draw and delirious with anything more.

Think that due to the fixture congestion, potential niggly injuries and the fact that Chelsea are at home and playing good stuff I think we will more than likely come away with nothing.

I want to see a good honest performance from the lads, showing no fear and a determination to get a positive result. It’s more about the performance for me.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Can see a high scoring draw

3-3

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

At least Chelsea played mid week too and they used the same team that played Wigan.

Hopefully they will be a bit tired from this too and all the lads we rested can make a difference

• Sir Asian Magpie

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Should be a cracking game, if Terry is indeed doubtful, I can see us beating Chelsea! But my prudent head tells me 2-2 – Ba x2

• Sir Asian Magpie

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Should be a cracking game, if Terry is indeed doubtful, I can see us beating Chelsea! 1-0

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

If we play 442 I will be gutted

Ruddy from the last thread
    Haha am never getting away from that king of the blog thing am I

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM

WWYCD

I would be very surprised if we line out 4-4-2, I can’t imagine we will as AP is bound to know that giving the likes of Mata and Hazard space in the midfield would be criminal.

And no. You are never getting away from the blog thing, just like those kids will never escape your beati….I’ve said too much

• phillyg

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

In their mid-week game they played there best 11 and we played our second 11 therefore our 1st 11 should be better rested and more prpared for this game than there’s. Just a little positive spin to put on things.

HWTL

• NUFC STEVE

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Krul
    Simmo-saylor-collo-santoon
    Benny-cab-Tiote-Anita-guti
    Ba

• FatmanJoe

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

If we play 442 we’ll be gutted. Completely murdered. Their strength is their midfield and has been for years. 5 in midfield is all we’ve got really.

• NUFC STEVE

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Why does he think Ameobi will play??Not fit and is useless????

• Sir Asian Magpie

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Nufc steve think you’ve got it spot on there!

• phillyg

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

krul
    simm-will-Staylor-santon
    tiote-guiti
    hba-cabaye-amalfitano
    ba

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ameobi useless?

Ladies and gentlemen. Let’s get Ruddyyyyy toooooooo rummmmmmmmmblleeeeeeeeeeee!!

Take it back.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Here’s a question.

Other teams around us have spent a lot this summer.

Chelsea – Oscar, hazard, Moses, azpilicueta,
    Spurs- adebeyor, sigurdson, vertongen
    Arsenal- podolski, giroud, carzola

I know they have all lost players too, which we haven’t.

But do you think we are being financially smart or just cheap.

Not a judgement on the club as its worked the last few years.

Just nearly thinking should we spend 20ish million to get a few players in to improve or can we sustain our challenge for top 6/4 using this squad again with the additions of the couple lads we have made.

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Ruddy
    I would like to think Pards learnt that lesson from WHL last season when Spurs ran over us

Ba up top alone HBA and Marv/Obertan on the wings supporting him. Cabs, Tiote and Anita in front of that regular back 5 thats how I would line everyone up but doubt it will happen

Haha they deserve it dont feel sorry for the little blighters!

• obatoyou

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Thanks again Ed, for a great preview.

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ah balls forgot Jonas AGAIN ffs him and HBA on the wings

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

WWYCD

That’s how I hope he lines it up too. However I do think Cisse will play, read an article from the official website and I just got the impression from Cisse that he thinks he will play too, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Guti in the middle with Cabs and Tiote/Anita, Ba on the left, HBA on the right with the regular back 5.

You’ll get no argument from me….please don’t hit me….

• Novocastrian66

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Sazzer, that’s rubbish mate.

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

WWYCD

This is getting chronic. Yours are the only lineups that every include the poor lad – don’t let him down.

Anita played 90 minutes last night, so I’m not sure if he’d start again – but we haven’t really got much else there in the way of proven quality. S maybe Marv on the left and Jonas in the middle?

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ruddy
    Aye I wouldnt mind that line up at all am just worried Cisse may get worn out quickly, suffered through preseason because of sickness, isnt match fit and played 75 minutes on thursday (not sure if he went through ramadan as well?). Plus Ba has been promised to play through the middle

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ruddy

That interview with Cisse was done a wle ago – when he likely had no idea he’d be playing 90 minutes in Greece.

They just decided to reuse some quotes a week later because they’re relevant 😉

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Yeah I suppose there is the fact that AP did say that he’ll play 90% of the games he starts in down the middle, although he was moved to the left second half last week, so AP could be telling little white lies again.

I think it’s match sharpness he lacks and he’ll only get that through games, in the article he said “I feel ok, I didn’t run around too much on Thursday night…” or something to that effect which kind of tells me that he intentionally took it easy on Thursday so he could start tomorrow.

I could be totally off the ball on this one but I still think he’ll be the lone striker up front tomorrow. Ba may even be benched with Marv on the left, but I would highly doubt that.

• obatoyou

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

TRANSFER SAGE – I can understand where you’re coming from Transfer Sage.

The current situation, begs the question.. hypothetically if we did spend, even lots, like hundreds of millions, like a Man City and won the league, would we be pleased? I think the answer is yes. Reading the blog I see constant applause for our current policies, were the Fair Trade rules to have a great impact on clubs, I can agree with that kind of mentality. But at the moment, clubs are still spending as much as ever, so it doesn’t seem their lawyers or accountants are paying much attention to these new so-called rules that are coming in, and of course, it would be a fair guess that UEFA would try to work the rules in so as not to ruffle the major clubs feathers..

Keeping this in mind, for me, I think I’d be happier if we did spend a bit of money. What does it really mean for our club to be running at a profit? (I don’t really care if Ashley can’t afford to upgrade his new jet, I’d rather see some more top players in black n white.)

Sorry to go on a rant, got that off me chest 🙂

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

TDS
    I honestly dont know what it is with Jonas I completely love the bloke and sing his praises constantly but I always forget about him in line ups its a complete joke! 🙁

I dont think Marv will play from the start tbh didnt show much on thursday and played most of the match

• magpiebop

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I hope Obertan is an out transfer after his Atromitos showing.

• WWYCD

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Ruddy
    Yeah maybe it is just match sharpness I really dont know Pard will probably play mainly the same team that played Chelsea last season though

Cisse flanked by Ba and HBA, Cabs Tiote and Jonas CMs and Krul Simmo Colo Saylor and Santon

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

TDS

I was wrong, the article was in the daily mail where he said “I didn’t run around too much against Atromitos. I feel good and ready for Chelsea”

So he seems to think he will play some part in the game.

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Ah yeah, I forgot Marveaux played – easy to forget, to be honest. Sammy and Fergy are both injured… oh dear. If only we had Johnson 😉

I’d really like to see Abeid get a run out at some point. I’m hoping that Pardew left him behind for the Greece trip because he knew he’d need him tomorrow.

He genuinely impressed every single time he’s had a first team chance, and Pardew has never been scared to play young talent before. But I guess the coaching staff know better than me about how ready he is.

• Sazzer

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Novocastrian66
    Glad you enjoyed it.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Obertan was class the last 30mins so sssh.

WWYCD

Aye I think it will probably be that team you’ve just mentioned, dependent on whether Tiote actually has a niggle or not, if he isn’t playing then slot Anita in with Cabs and Guti.

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Ruddy

Ah. Unfortunately I kind of expect a 442 then.

It’s worked before though. Surrender the midfield battle, and just overwhelm teams with our Senegalese pair, Hatem, and the pair on the left.

• bills-son

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

MacToon – just seen your post about nufc’s accounts. You say you cant see any payment by Ashley for sjp naming rights for SD. Tell you what I dont see either – any interest payment for the £200m Ashley has lent us. Lets assume MA charged us 3% over base, thats £7m. The naming rights are worth £5m. So we’d be £2m worse off. And you say some fans dont look at the detail?? If thats the best you can do to backhand Ashley it shows how well he is doing.

• WWYCD

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

TDS
    Haha if only eh 😉

Aye Abied is a funny one isnt he I would of thought he’d be one of the first on the team sheet on Thursday but nothing dont think he would of been saved for Chelsea but who knows