Newcastle Could Make 11 Changes For Chelsea Game

We are told that Demba Ba and Cheick Tiote are injured, but that could be a ruse as to why they were not in the squad for the game last night in Athens, and if Shola Ameobi and Fabricio Coloccini are fit, as well as Demba Ba and Cheick, then  Newcastle could make 11 changes from the side that drew 1-1 against Atromitos in Athens last night.

Fab Coloccini – fit again for tomorrow’s game?

Alan Pardew may have just got things right in his selection, and the only two players that started the game last night who also started against Tottenham last Saturday were James Perch, and James played the whole game last night at center-back, and Papiss was on for 77 minutes, before being replaced by 17 year-old local striker Adam Campbell.

So it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Alan could start a completely different side tomorrow afternoon at Stamford Bridge,  with Shola coming in for Papiss Cisse and Fabricio Coloccini replacing James Perch, who again had a strong game for Newcastle last night in Athens.

This could be the starting side tomorrow afternoon, assuming no real injuries to Demba Ba, Cheick Tiote, Shola Ameobi and Fab Coloccini:

Krul
Simpson Taylor(S) Coloccini (c) Santon
Ben Arfa Tiote Cabaye Gutierrez
Ameobi (Sh) Demba Ba

That will give Newcastle a more than decent chance of doing well in London, and certainly Chelsea didn’t look too impressive when they just beat a good Reading side 3-2 on Wednesday evening at the Bridge.

They were again the recipients of some advantageous officiating, with Fernando’s Torres’ goal in the second half being clearly offside but not called – and we continue to see what looks to be decisions made in favor of the top English clubs  – but what’s new?

New boy Eden Hazard has started his Chelsea career looking good, and the Belgian has earned a penalty in each of his first two league games for the London side, so that’s something Newcastle will have to watch out for tomorrow.

What do you think the Newcastle team for tomorrow will be?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• outsidethebox

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

bigi is the one for me

• Ashcastle

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

• Ashcastle

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

wht i wud luc to see against che is

4-5-1 formation with BA as main striker.

we need gud left winger against che which i think we r lacking for a long period now. we need to exploit their wings

• outsidethebox

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

ed can see cisse in place of shola …if shola was fit he would have played last night

• Dannyo

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Pretty sure AP said post match that Ba was actually unfit and not injured. Didn’t look like he had 3 matches a week in him he said, and he quoted a few other players too.

• thai-mag

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM

great news lawrenson has predicted a 2 0 loss as usual, thats a draw and a loss already this season, we are going to be relegated again by his predictions

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Cisse will play v Chelsea n Anita will play if tiote ain’t fit it’s that simple jus bcoz they played last night dosent mean they won’t start v Chelsea

• hoppernufc

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I think well play 451 v Chelsea.
    Krul
    Simpson. Colocinni. Taylor. Santon

Arfa Cabaye. Tiote. Anita. Jonas

Ba

• stu.toon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

We will have to be on our game to get a result against chelsea at the bridge again, but it’s no impossible they conceded 2 against reading and didn’t look to convincing in the community shield ifnwe can keep hazard under wraps (not easy) and hopefully get cabaye creating chances we could pull it off.

• AmericanMagpie

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Im feeling a Shola goal on Saturday.

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Jesper – I’m very lucky in that I get to travel plenty with my job, and actually attended a Reims game by accident – found myself in the area and went along for something to do. At that time tickets were dirt cheap and it was the chance to watch a game of football. He stood out from the crowd straight away. I did post about him on here a long while back (I’m the next ITK! Haha) and was over the moon when we were officially linked with him. At the time I watched him for the first time, we were linked with his brother Morgan. Romain will surpass his brother. I can almost certainly guarantee that lads!! Futures bright…

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Think we can beat Chelsea, but if we get a draw that will hav been an excellent week 4pts from spurs n Chelsea and an away score draw in Europe I’d b over the moon

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I am not sure I wanna go up against Chelski with a four man mid in a 4-4-2 🙁

…seeing the silver supremo and I started to see eye to eye on things yesterday I am counting on him to field a 4-4-1-1 (4–5-1) or 4-3-3 formation next weekend 😉 anything else would be madness!

• hoppernufc

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Davybtoon

From last night yeah I agree our other wingers can’t really cross either but the difference is they bring something different to the team where obertan doesn’t, ok so you say he has nO confidence but he’s never had it he’s just a poor player in my opinion. If I got a new job on minimum wage ang turned up and said I couldn’t do it coa I’ve got no confidence I’d get sacked on the spot but this guy is getting thousands of pounds a week and that’s ok for him? He’s still where he has this time last year so clearly there’s no improvement in a year it ain’t guna happen at all!

• Robson Wonderland

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Is there a reason everyone is leaving Cisse out of their starting line ups? That seems absurd to me – especially when people are still picking others who played last night like Marvs/Anita

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Pack the midfield against Chelsea and leave just 1 up top. Let the game settle. Chelsea start very quickly so we need to keep it very tight and not force our game. They will have plenty of possession but we can afford them that if we maintain our shape, stay strong at the back and we MUST take our chances web they arise. I would take a draw now…but anything more would be a dream start.

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Torq…that’s the great thing about travelling isn’t it 😉

…so you’re our own little scout 😉 keep us in the loop if see anyone great!

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hopper we all kno confidence in football is a huge thing n fergie destroyed a very talented player if u ask me, he was hot prospect in France fergie takes him n never even gives him a chance, pardew believes in him as shud the fans n encourage him n honestly watch him grow in confidence n ability

• jj

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM

433 with benny and obertan either side of ba for me with tiote cabs and Gutierrez in the centre, compact with a pacey counter attacking threat

• Szarka

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

If Cissé is rested the pla 4-2-3-1:

Krul – Simmo, Colo, Taylor, Santon – Anita , Tiote – Jonas , Cabaye , Ben Arfa – Ba

It hes fairly defensive, but good chances for counter-attacks, and wing play. Ben Arfa dont need to come back, with 2 CDMs can help the defence.

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Jesper – I will always do my best mate! If I had 1/5th of GC’s talent spotting ability I’d be over the moon!! 🙂

• stu.toon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Jj, obertan is a waste of space

• hoppernufc

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Davybtoon

Why did fergie not give him a chance? Because he wasn’t good enough, also I recall the beardaux manager saying he couldn’t believe man united signed his player as he wasn’t good enough for that level that says it all

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

This is how I’ll go against Chelski, bare in mind injuries can change things a bit:

___________________ Krul ____________________
    Simmo______ Colo _____ Saylor ______ Santon
    _____________ Jonas ____ Tiote ______________
    __________________ Cabaye __________________
    Benny___________________________________ Ba
    ___________________ Cisse ___________________

And it’s very important that the central mid sits back and more or less park the bus in front of you defense.

We need to get them on the counter and be need to give Benny and Ba room and freedom to add some flavour to our attack; or else they are going to spend most of their time tracking back and then we are just going to silly and on our back heels.

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Szarka – not a bad formation mate. Plenty of movement for switching to 5 in midfield if we are under pressure or going 3 up top should be attack or get the ascendancy ! It will mean that if we are under pressure, cabs and Jonas will need to drop in, which we know they will. Not a bad shout mate.

• Minato

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

@15

I agree and as I said in a previous post I expect Cisse to start against Chelsea tomorrow..

Same team as spurs, except I’d stick Perch at right back and have Colo partnering Saylor…Anita to obviously replace Tiote if still injured..

• Minato

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

So essentially the same team as Jesper @ 24
    Except perch for Simmo….don’t really trust Simmo positionally with the way Chelsea play at pace with wingers..

• Munster Mag

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I woukld think Cisse will start – u just cant leave talent like that aside this early, due to tiredness. I reckon much depends on Collo being fit, and Cabaye’s readiness and sharpness.

• drongo

Simpson Sayler colo santon
    anita Tiote
    Ben arfa Cabaye Marveux
    ba

• breno95

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

My 11 for Chelsea as we are away at the bridge would be to play 4-5-1. Therefore I would go with (as I don’t buy into this tiredness etc & all are fit)
    Krul
    Simpson
    Colo (C)
    S Taylor
    Santon
    Tiote (sitting in front of back 4)
    Anita
    Cabaye
    Jonas
    Marveaux
    Ba

Subs:-
    Harper
    Cisse
    Perch
    Ben Arfa
    Obertan
    Amalfitano

Solid, strong 11 with excellent options off the bench. Gone with this set up and selection as we need to stay strong and keep the shape for early stages of the game and build into the game.
    PS – Anyone else slightly annoyed at the attention Hazard is getting. IMO BenArfa is a greater talent and that’s not just because he is wearing the black and White. Don’t have in my starting 11 but that’s purely as we are away from home but he could prove to be our match winner if it’s tightly balanced.

• AmericanGeordie

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

By George, I think Geordie George has (almost) got it! Just swap Jonas for Anita).
    4-2-3-1
    Krul
    Simmo, Saylor, Colo, Santon
    Tiote, Jonas
    HBA, Cabaye,Marvo
    Ba

• 89Norcal

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This is when having a beat of a fullback would be nice, Hazard has looked dangerous so far for Chelsea.

I was hoping Pards would rest Cisse sooner in the Europa game, Cisse was pressing towards the end of his shift and we need him tomorrow.