Newcastle’s Diamond In The Rough Looks To Have Big Future

Adam Campbell finally got on in the game last night and became the youngest player ever to play for Newcastle in Europe, beating Andy Carroll’s record, when the 17 year-old made his competitive debut for the Magpies last night in Athens, Greece, , and he again looked sharp and very quick in the final minutes of the game.

Adam Campbell congratulates goalkeeper Itandje after the game

Adam gives Newcastle something different up front, and it seems he will get some playing time in the European games this season, if only as a second half substitute, and he did have one decent chance last night, when he was put through in the inside right position by the impressive new boy,  Vurnon Anita,  but was forced wide and eventually his shot was straight at goalkeeper  Charles Itandje.

Adam knew on Tuesday that he was going to be in the squad that traveled to Greece, and while the lads were a little lackadaisical in defense at times last night, it was a very decent performance against Atromitos with what essentially was a Newcastle second team, with only James Perch and Papiss Cisse starting the game after starting the first league of the season against Tottenham last Saturday.

The North Shields-born striker was simply buzzing in his hotel room after the game, when he was interviewed for the Newcastle web-site, and here’s what he had to say:

“It’s not a trip many people fancy, all the way down there on the bus!” “It’s crazy, really, to think about it. You think about playing for Newcastle and you don’t really think about what kind of games you’re going to be playing in.”

“When you’re young, you just think Premiership games at St. James’ but when it comes to the reality of it and you’re actually out there – it’s not just for myself, getting a personal thing, but for Newcastle as a club being back in Europe it was a big thing for them, a big thing for us and to be a part of it and to have my own little record as well as that is just great to have.”

“It’s brilliant. I can’t really put into words how much it means to me. Just for Newcastle to be in Europe means a lot, then to be involved means a lot, and then to actually have my own record… you can’t describe it. It’s amazing.” “I’ve been reading about it quite a lot recently.”

“It was something I definitely wanted to do but it was just an experience to come anyway. If I hadn’t played, if I hadn’t been in the squad, it wouldn’t have mattered. Like I say, it’s just good that Newcastle are back in Europe and we’ve got a good result to take back to our stadium.”

“I just wanted to get my top on as soon as I could.” . “I was thinking ‘right, next time it’s out I’m on’ and then it went out and the fourth official wasn’t ready and then it went out again and the referee wasn’t ready and then it went out again and they took it quickly!”

“So by the next time, when I was actually going to get on, the ball didn’t go out for absolutely ages. It seemed like a lifetime but it was just good to get on – and looking back at it, you can laugh about how long it took!”   “That’s obviously your dream; you play for Newcastle and you want to score for Newcastle.”

“I think it was quite a good chance. Vurn, you saw through the game how technically gifted he is and he just found that ball perfectly and then my touch let me down – which is a shame, really, because the way I’ve been playing recently my touch has been quite good.”  “But never mind, it happens.”

“My family couldn’t get the time off and the flights and everything were too expensive.”  “I think many fans found that, when they were looking to book flights the prices were just horrendous with your flight and your ticket and the hotel on top.”  “But I was straight on the phone to my mam when I got on the bus and then on Skype with them later on so they’re just as buzzing as me.”

“That’s because as long as I’ve dreamed of it, they’ve dreamed of it. And I couldn’t be here without them so I owe them pretty much everything.”  “And they’ll definitely be there at the next game whether I’m in the squad or not. All the family go to the games so we’ll all be there one way or another – but obviously it’d be nice to get in the squad again.”

It seems the  Geordie lad is certainly living his dream, and we have a hunch that Adam will come through this season on Tyneside, because he does give Newcastle something different from what the big strikers – Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba and Shola Ameobi – give to the side.

But Alan Pardew will also not rush this lad, and the regular games which he needs to develop, will continue to be with the Newcastle U21 side, who are playing in the new Premier League for U21 sides this season for the first time.

Adam Campbell is living his dream alright on Tyneside, and he’s a diamond in the rough at the moment, but he looks so much like a young Michael Owen, that he could well have a huge future at Newcastle.

We think he will.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Get him on 6 year deal gonna b a talent this lad

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Graham Carr I salute you you’ve only gone n done it again with Anita n amalfitano

• AMEOBI

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM

What a great post! Wow I like the lad he’s canny lad mind

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I am looking forward to see more of young Ginger, but I was difficult to see what he was all about yesterday – he has good speed though and he seemed uneffected by it all and that’s a good quality 🙂

Hope we have an early bloomer in our hands 😉

• Dannyo

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Give him an 8 year deal 😉
    Funny to think about it, but Harper was 20 years older than Campbell. Old enough to be his dad, lol.

• AmericanMagpie

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He was very active last night. I like the look of this kid. Still think we need another striker.

• GeordieToon89

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Davytoon – I was thinking the same get Campbell signed upto a new mega long term deal and also about your Carr comment on Anita and Amalfitano, couldn’t agree more.! Daft mackem at work the other day was saying we follow their scout around because they wanted Anita first, had to prove him wrong with the fact we bid long before mackems were linked

• Ashcastle

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM

he shoot up the game tempo which was very slow and boring.

• davybtoon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Gt89 both look quality if u ask me

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I genuinely can’t believe people are tearing apart our performance last night!!!! We fielded a SECOND XI against a first team and fully experienced side. We were never under dire pressure even after going a goal down. Yes Tav misjudged the ball and lost his man for their goal, but for god’s sake lads, give him a break!!! He will come good in a short period of time. People seem to think we are man utd/Citeh the way they go on about things on here!! Expect immediate results and aren’t prepared to let our lads develop. Plenty of players were released – and by better people than you or I! Tav was kept and signed to a long term deal – others were released and that should speak for itself. Some of you need to get a grip and stop picking apart our lads. Away goal, a solid performance and with a second string side – I’m happy with that !! Roll of Chelski !

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Ps Im glad people are now seeing Alfi for why he is! His signing wasn’t greeted with much excitement but I’ve seen the lad play a few times in my travels and he is a heck of a talent. Nobody outside the club had heard of him…but before long – they certainly will know what he is capable of!

• jesperfuglsang

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Torq…Alfi does look good doesn’t he 😉 great signing and I have to be honest I knew absolutly nothing about him before!

• TorqToon

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I’m very lucky in that I get to travel plenty with my job, and actually attended a Reims game by accident – found myself in the area and went along for something to do. At that time tickets were dirt cheap and it was the chance to watch a game of football. He stood out from the crowd straight away. I did post about him on here a long while back (I’m the next ITK! Haha) and was over the moon when we were officially linked with him. At the time I watched him for the first time, we were linked with his brother Morgan. Romain will surpass his brother. I can almost certainly guarantee that lads!! Futures bright…

• Munster Mag

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Torq, glad toread that. I wasnt that impressed when I saw him preseason ( cant remember what game ) so glad to hear he is making an impression. What is his best position do u reckon?

• 89Norcal

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The way Campbell attacked the opposition on Thursday was great to watch. I can only dream to be in his boots, I’m sure he’ll become a talented forward and an great teammate for the club.